Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Melee 2.0 Anticipation Megathread

gaurdianaq

I'd say Melee 2.0 will come out on the 25th.  Tomorrow will probably be a new weapon, maybe a new Darvo Alert.  I know they said HUD customization and stealth overhaul was in the works, maybe those too, although probably not.I think they said new prime would be after Melee 2.0 but I may be wrong.

at least 3x to 5x higher base dmg, higher crit chance, higher crit dmg, higher proc chance +stagger. With current weapon stats, You're practically being suicidal running up to a lvl 60 grineer bombard and showering him with melee attacks. If we're gonna take that risk, we should at least be able to 1-3 hit kill him.

You won.

No, he didn't win.

As the other guy said, the worst way to make something viable is to make everything else not viable. Unfortunately that is the approach DE likes to take. People running too fast? Don't give them a reason to slow down, just nerf stamina!

Melee should be stronger in terms of raw damage than guns to make up for the time it takes to close distance and the risk you put yourself at by getting close. Melee should also offer greater utility (Zorens anyone?) to give them a reason to be used even by those who prefer guns. Moving faster with melee equipped, making melee movesets highly mobile, allowing you to block incoming fire, make melee good, don't make guns bad.

I agree with most Tenno saying that Melee damage should be boosted. People should have a reason to use it. Dealing 38 Slash damage while risking getting turned into mush with lead isn't really appealing to anyone. But make it 238 per hit and we've got a thing going here. It's worth the risk with more reason for using it. Plus the defense boost for using it would be pretty sweet.

I usually only wish it was flashier...

Well more damage is cute too, but it's really not flashy enough for my tastes. Back then before I went away from this game, I enjoyed using my Excal and Skana but felt it was wayyy too repetitive (slide jump into a jump attack to knock stuff down, follow up with 1-3 charge attackes to dispatch heavies, nearly killed the old Ruk this way too with just timed jump attacks and charged attacks from a Skana P, I succumbed to fatigue build up due to it being in nightmare mode and my team out of revives) seeing I had a pretty limited movepool with melee, even the normal swings only have 3 or 4 animations...

Could really have fun with a system like the current HnS of today (DMC, GoW, maybe PoP, w/e), too bad only Valkr can pull things into melee range......and most of the time she doesn't. (I kept trying out that pull thinking I could pepper them with kitty claw scratches asap, only to find out the heavies land some 6m behind me).

With how fast enemies die giving melee more damage won't help in the slightest, because by the time enemies live long enough for the damage discrepancy to make a difference they will kill you too quickly. People are also against decreasing the power of ranged weaponry so I think the best solution is to make melee less risky and much easier to initiate. Give defensive maneuvers and gap closers / high mobility and that will go a long way to making melee better.

Also, I'd like to point out that ranged weapons and melee don't occupy the same equipment slots, so melee doesn't need to be so good that ranged weapons aren't usable. Alternatively, using different elemental combos on your preferred ranged weapon and your melee weapon would be a good way to make use of both, as switching weapons could take longer than moving in to melee someone. However, right now there isn't many situations where you need multiple different elements in a single mission, and people might be against changing that.

Edited by BadAimbot

In my opinion, being able to actually wield your sword would make an impeccable difference. Perhaps, pressing E equips your sword rather than attacking with it. There are many games with melee classes that are fine. Upping the damage of melee weapons, actual wielding, and right-click to parry rather than scope are my suggestions.

when I get around to posting a list of ability suggestions for all the frames to be reworked slightly, one on the top of my list is making Rhino's team buff give everyone CC resistance, like Iron Skin does for him, and a huge melee damage boost as well as +50% chance to stagger/knockdown with melee, instead of an overall damage boost. It may be renamed "Stampede" or something, Roar still works too, but it'd make Rhino have better synergy with the party. Also making Iron Skin taunt the enemy if they are within 4 meters or so of him while it's active, and having it burst like a shrapnel grenade, staggering enemies back nearby him when it hits 0 hp. (these kinds of CC moves, combined with his team synergy, would make him a great, slightly challenging pick, as the tank for a defense mission.)

ultimately, I have quite a few suggestions for some of the "more" melee tanks that would make melee a very go to mechanic when you are in range for it, and the abilities would support you getting in the enemies face and being aggressive with those warframes etc. Right now, only a handful of the Warframes have moves that encourage you to be up close and personal with the enemy, and when they do, very few can sustain themselves in close combat

I think warframes with CQC abilities should have lots of aoe cc that requires melee to use properly, or they could have melee buffs that help them sustain themselves in CQC like damage reduction, cc immunity etc, so that you can have a mix of Shooty warframes, CQC Warframes, and Power Damage/support frames to overcome the games challenges in a team. it's important for DE to decide which of these three focuses each warframes abilities are built around, or if they are a versatile mix of them etc.

Melee 2.0 isn't gonna be much more then cool new animations and fun. When they start reworking abilities to work around melee, thats when melee is gonna shine.

Edited by Temphis