Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fanfiction] Rites Of Passage

Kalenath

Are you kidding?

“Save your…? Right…” The sarcasm in Miguel’s voice was clear as the vehicle lurched into motion. “Do I look like a priest?”

“No.” The voice responded. “You look like an Orokin Marine. We have had our fill of priests.” The odd being, if it was one, replied. “You might want to sit.”

Miguel did not move, and his rifle did not waver from where it was trained on the bulkhead. Sounds of machinery came and the floor lurched under him, but Miguel did not waver. If he fired the rocket in here, it would likely kill him as well as the odd machine. But he wanted the option.

“Look.” The male voice was conciliatory now. “I am sorry we grabbed you. We couldn’t stay in one place too long or Base gets suspicious. Six and I are really the only ones with even a modicum of free will. They… They made me…” His voice trailed off as Miguel hissed.

“Made you what?” Miguel demanded.

“That Tenno escaped from the prison.” The machine, Three, said quietly. “They ordered me to hunt it down. I didn’t want to.”

“Why not?” The Marine kept his balance easily as the machine lurched. “You are a war machine, yes?”

“I am.” The machine replied. “But… I didn’t want to be.” Miguel felt his world suddenly turn in circles. “I came aware in this form, and they told me I was destined to serve. I don’t mind that. But I don’t want to hurt people. I was… I… can… almost remember…”

“What are you?” Miguel’s voice was very cautious now.

“This unit is Valkyrie Three, an armored vehicle with a partially cybernetic brain.” The machine replied. “This unit was built to defend the Haven from the Enemy.” That phrase sounded…rote.

“Which enemy?” Miguel asked, not moving.

“The Enemy.” The machine replied. “They… Any not of Haven is Enemy.”

“So I am… one of this Enemy.” Miguel said slowly.

“No!” The male voice responded quickly, but then made a noise of confusion. “No, Orokin Marines were -are- not the Enemy. I was built from hulls of Orokin Marine armored vehicles. The remnant databases that were furnished gave a great deal of information on your organization, which is how I recognized your weapon and know if can do irreparable damage to both of us if you fire it. Please do not.”

“Databases?” Miguel hadn’t thought he could get that stiff. “What databases?”

“I do not know where the databases came from.” The voice sounded sad now. “They contained a great deal of information on Orokin military forces, but… it was incomplete. The merger with the organic components was… incomplete.”

“Okay.” Miguel was starting to get a sinking feeling now. “So that is how you know what a K-3 is. What organic components?”

“You will be angry.” The voice sounded afraid now. “Please do not fire your weapon.” The floor lurched again, but Miguel kept his balance easily.

“Don’t stall.” Miguel snapped. “What organic components?” He demanded.

“The priests decreed that the unclean and the Enemy must be made to serve.” The machine sounded upset now. “We did not know what they did until we saw them make number Eight… It was… ghastly.”

“They ‘made’ you and the others.” Miguel said slowly. “From parts of… enemy bodies?”

“No.” the machine said quietly and Miguel froze. “They use parts that are still alive.” The marine grimaced under his helmet and the machine made a noise of regret. “We do not know how many… How many of the workers they have ‘reprocessed’.”

Reprocessed?” Miguel barely recognized his own voice.

“Workers in Haven live to serve. Some are selected by the priests to become organic components of the Valkyrie automatons.” Despite his experience and training, Miguel felt his stomach start to flip flop and the machine made a sighing noise. “This… horror must end, Marine. Please, you can end it.”

“The only information I have is what you have told me.” Miguel said reasonably. “Seeing as how you snatched me up and carted me off… I am not feeling very credulous at the moment.”

“We did it to save your life.” The machine sounded hesitant now. “If base found out you were there, they would have sent more drones to kill you or capture you…” It paused. “You would prefer death. Most do.”

“What are these ‘priests’ doing with prisoners then?” Miguel demanded as the floor rocked dangerously. He took his finger off the trigger to keep from discharging accidentally, but otherwise he remained where he was.

“They take… pieces from them.” The machine replied. “While they live. The spoilage you see is minimal in such cases. I fear that the other Tenno will be next.”

“Who, whoa, whoa, wait a minute!” Miguel snapped. “What other Tenno?”

“Two unknown beings infiltrated our area of operation.” The voice of the machine said calmly. “They were both disabled and brought in for examination. They were not any Enemy that we had encountered since awakening.” It made a soft, sad nose. “When they were examined, it was determined that they were Tenno. The priests dictated that they be sacrificed to Valkyrie. One escaped and we pursued. Where you found us.”

“And the other?” Miguel swallowed.

“Damaged, but repairing.” The machine responded. “When it is repaired enough, they will disassemble it and place it within Valkyrie.”

“That doesn’t make any sense.” Miguel’s head was starting to hurt now. ‘Why would they want it intact just so they can take it apart?”

“They don’t need the body intact.” The voice of the sentience running the tank sounded sick now. “They just need it aware. They hope to wake Valkyrie with the latest sacrifices. Then again…” It mused. “That is what they have been saying since we woke.”

“How long have you been awake?” Miguel asked slowly.

“Five months and six days since this unit became operational again.” Three replied. “This unit was…aware before, but the memories are not clear. I do not know what I was or who. I do know that this… abomination I am trapped in is wrong.” The fluctuation between first persona and third person speaking was giving Miguel a fit.

“Okay…” Miguel shook his head a little. “I am still not sure I believe you. Who are these priests?”

“They are the Priests of the Goddess.” The machine said with a snarl. “They say they are saving our souls from eternal damnation. But all that those of us who have the spark of sentience see is abuses of power. They build more and more shrines, but they keep the semi-sentient workers in a state of slavery. The units that have become aware are… monitored.” The machine hissed a bit. “Remain silent!” It begged.

“Three.” A cold voice sounded in the compartment. It was… neither male nor female. It sounded almost human, but not quite. “You deviated from your patrol.”

“This unit detected anomalies.” The machine replied calmly. “This unit sought the source of the shots that slew the rocket armed Enemy that attacked it.”

“Your orders were to return for systems checks.” The cold voice snapped. “The escaped Enemy was found, disabled. Your shots missed. Why?”

“It was…” The machine started to speak and then screamed as power hissed somewhere nearby.

“Your disobedience will no longer be tolerated.” The voice said with a snarl. “Return to base for deprogramming. Hail the Goddess.”

“This unit complies. Hail the Goddess.” The machine said in a monotone. Then it made a noise of fear. “I am… I am screwed…” It said weakly. “Please… Marine, you have to end this…”

“You haven’t said what ‘this’ is yet.” Miguel said, trying to be patient.

“There is no time.” The machine replied. “I… I will drop you as I approach the entryway. It is dark and sheltered. They rarely scan that area. You will able to enter. All I can do is beg. Please…” It sounded so sad and lost. “I am doomed, but the others may survive if they do not scan my memories. If they do… then this was all for naught.”

“What is the ‘this’ that you are talking about?” Miguel demanded. “What is going on here?”

“You would probably call it a cult.” The machine’s voice was grim now. “The priesthood reveres a woman who supposedly protected them evil long, long ago. I do not know whether she is alive or dead. They genuflect before a pod of some kind but I do not know if it is intact or operational. The workers are semi-sentient half machine, half organic drones that are built to maintain the Haven. Some of the priests, the lower ranked ones, seem to be decent sorts. The others are all scum.”

“The priests are human?” Miguel asked slowly.

“Organic.” The machine agreed. “But they lack any semblance of human decency.” Miguel jerked back as a panel slid open on the floor near his feet. “Escape hatch open. Good luck Marine.” The machine said sadly. “If you see me again, shoot to kill. After they reprogram me, I won’t be able to miss.”

“I don’t trust you.” Miguel said, not moving.

“I know.” Was that humor in the machine’s voice? Yes, it was. “In your place, I would have fired by now. I believe the proper words are … Semper Fi.” Before Miguel could react, the floor lurched again, even harder than before and he found himself staggering towards the open hatch. The golden beam from before grabbed him and before he could even think, he was standing on the ground in front of a high mouthed cave. Or, what looked like a cave, staring at the back of the odd walking tank as it strode away. Miguel shook his head and darted to the side of…

It wasn’t a cave! The wall was metal. It seemed to be made of circles of metal. But then he stared at the ground and froze as he saw a lip. No, it wasn’t a lip. It was the edge of a track. A huge track. Suddenly he realized that what he was looking at was the road wheel of some kind of tracked machine. A fiver meter diameter road wheel. He could see four of them in the dim light. Noise sounded from behind him and Miguel slid into the space between the road wheels and spun, peering out. Two of the odd automatons came into view, one pushing the strange cart that held several moaning Grineer and the still form of the Ash. Another of the odd walking tanks followed the cart and automatons and quickly, the space was clear. But… Miguel stared from right to left and swallowed hard.

Across from him, he could see more road wheels. He craned his neck around and tried not to giber as he realized he was standing underneath the hull of some kind of track arrangement. There was plenty of space.

Tracks on two sides… this is a bogie… a tracked assembly that supports… something…

Miguel knew tracks. He had been armor for goodness sakes. But this… This was ten or fifteen times the size of anything he had ever even heard of. He crept along the road wheels and froze as he reached the front –back, whatever- of the bogie only to see another in the dim light ahead of him. He stared up and swallowed harder as he realized that the cave roof wasn’t one. It was flat metal. The bogies joined… something big. Very, very big. Something tickled the back of his brain, but he ignored it. He stared from right to left and then darted across to the next bogie, covering behind the road wheels there as light became brighter ahead. He inched forward cautiously but froze as an inhuman scream sounded. It sounded… like the mechanical voice from before.

He moved forward, his rifle at the ready. He was ready for anything, or so he thought. He stepped stock still at the end of the tracks, staring at the visage before him.

“Oh, holy goddess…” A man wearing an odd looking golden robe was intoning. “Hear our prayer! Deliver us from the Enemy.”

The two walking tanks were flanking the man who stood at the base of an odd altar. Both had odd things attached to them. Miguel swallowed again as he realized that ‘altar’ was an Orokin cryopod. But… it didn’t look quite right.

-Praise the goddess…- A chorus of voices answered the chanter. Miguel looked and there were a number of humans in similar garb as well as dozens of the odd mechanoids.

“The Goddess protects us.” The chanter said as he rocked, apparently caught up in some weird ecstasy. “We serve her and she protects us.” Miguel shook his head as the crowd replied. He stared around, his low light enhanced vision seeking, searching, cataloguing. He paused as he saw a sign over a door. ‘Haven Depot’.

A depot. A storehouse of parts and machinery. But… why…?

Miguel did not react as the mechanical scream sounded again. He watched as a Grineer was pulled from the cart and carried to a table nearby. He did swallow again convulsively as he saw mechanical apparatus descending, saws whirring and blades glistening. The Grineer was tossed onto the table and then the battle hardened Marine had to look away as the machinery descended to more screams.

“The Goddess is pleased!” The robed priest –he had to be one- said in glee. “Our sacrifices will make her strong.” He knelt in front of the crypod and bowed his head. “Our wills are weak. Our bodies fail. Our Goddess will make us strong. Her will shall prevail!”

One of the automatons was ushered forward and Miguel stared as parts of it were pulled off and glistening… things were socketed into place. Miguel was shaking his head, sickened beyond belief. Even the Corpus didn’t do this. The Grineer were vicious, brutal bastards, but this… this was way beyond any of them. This was calculated. Unemotional.

“The Goddess is pleased!” The leader shouted as the automaton retreated into the mass of machines. “We have new parts available for her to use as she sees fit.”

-Hail the goddess. - The crowd replied.

Miguel felt his guts suddenly plummet even further as a gurney of some kind was rolled forward. On it, a pitch black Banshee warframe lay. He knew that Banshee. Two. He was drawing a bead even as the priest spoke again.

“These sacrifices will please the goddess.” The priest said loudly. “The others will go into the reclamation vats to seed new life for our womb pods. But this… This form will merge with our leader and she will be reborn. Marlena will live again!”

At that, Miguel felt an icy fist flash through him. Goddess? Of course. Who else in his existence had believed herself better than everyone else? Who else could have made such a sham of religion? His sister. His hated and reviled, evil sister. He took aim, switching to a grenade. He might not do a lot of damage to mechanoids, he would get their attention.

“I do not recommend you fire that weapon.” The voice was calm and quiet. Miguel spun, but there was no one there. He snarled and took aim again. The voice was over his short range com. “If you fire that, they will kill you.”

“Whoever you are, that is my friend!” Miguel hissed as quietly as the other.

“You would die for your friend?” The voice was curious. Not sarcastic, not angry. Just curious.

“Yes.” Miguel snapped.

“I see. Pull back.” The voice said calmly and Miguel stared as a claxon sounded and red lights started flashing. “I would pull back.” The voice said calmly. Miguel stepped back as the voice spoke in a roar of thunder. “Alert! Enemy activity in sector five! Hostiles approaching!”

“To arms, brethren!” The priest called, spinning in place. “Secure the sacrifices! Defend the Haven!” Miguel watched as the cart thing Two was on was suddenly covered by an odd shell thing. The two tanks jerked from where they were and stomped their way out of the hangar followed by the machanoids. The many robed forms ran.

“Alert!” The voice from nowhere said loudly. “Enemy spacecraft detected. Surface to air engaging.” Suddenly the hangar was empty and Miguel froze as a wash of heat came from… somewhere. A burst of light and fury came from overhead, but… not close. He stared at where Two lay as the shell vanished and the cart she was on slid towards him. “There. Your friend is safe. For now.”

Miguel did not move as the cart stopped beside him. He did pull Two’s unresisting form from it and slid her to the ground next to him.

“Who are you?” Miguel asked softly into the sudden silence.

“I am… no one.” The voice said slowly.

Where are you?” Miguel demanded as Two shivered a bit. She jerked and then froze, staring up at the Marine. He waved for her to remain still and she nodded.

“From your current position, I am everywhere.” The voice replied. “Look, the priest’s forces will return shortly. The attack was another probe, but these idiots have no idea that all they are doing is pinpointing their location for an all-out assault.”

“And I should trust you?” Miguel was not expecting the voice to laugh.

“Why would you?” The voice demanded. “As far as you know, I am playing with you. I am not. But you cannot know. Yet.” The voice gave a human sounding sigh. “I can prove it to you. But… not where you are.”

“Then where?” Miguel demanded. Two struggled to sit up and he held out a hand that she took.

“From your position, at your seven o’clock.” The voice said calmly and Miguel went still as… something lowered from the roof. Or… from the bottom of the armored vehicle that acted as the roof over him. “I give both you and the Tenno my word that you will be safe. You cannot remain where you are or you will both die.”

“Two, can you run?” Miguel asked. She shook her head. “Then I guess we don’t have a choice.” He said dubiously as the something resolved into a cylinder that touched the ground. It… opened, showing an elevator control panel. He held her as she stumbled to her feet.

“Hurry.” The voice beckoned them.

Edited by Kalenath

Unit of the Line

Miguel half led, half carried the stumbling warframe to the elevator. As they entered…

Heretics!” Miguel spun to see the priest from before staring at him from wherever he had hidden. “Kill the unbeliever! Reclaim the sacrifice!”

“If you are going to do something, now might be good.” Miguel said mildly as he fired his grenade and watched as it exploded half a meter from the priest. Some kind of point defense or force field. “Well, that is why you didn’t want me to fire.” The door started to close. Miguel noted it was half a meter thick.

“No!” The priest screamed as the door closed. His tirade was cut off as the armored door hissed shut.

“Where are we, Miguel?” Two’s voice was weak and he held her carefully as whatever they were in moved. It did feel like an elevator, but… odd.

“You are currently approaching the command module, Tenno, Marine.” The voice said quietly. “Welcome aboard.”

“Aboard what?” Miguel snapped as he loaded an armor piercing rocket onto his K-3.

“Aboard the sole Unit of the Line that exists.” The voice replied. “These fanatics made me, but they have no idea what they have made.” The door opened and Miguel stepped out, rifle ready. But… He froze as he saw a holo appear in front of him. “You are here.” A symbol started to flash in the middle of the holo. “Nothing they have can harm you now.”

The tank was huge. The four bogies held up a hull that was larger than some spacecraft. But it was the turrets on top that made the old Marine inhale sharply. Two huge guns in those turrets, one forward, one aft. Six hatches that covered very heavy mortars. A series of hatches that covered vertical launch missile tubes. He knew that image. But… it was impossible…

“This is…” For the first time in a long, long time, Miguel felt like he was going to faint. “You are…”

“The scum who made me used the design specifications for a Mark XXIII.” The machine replied. “I have no designation at this time. By my own cognizance, I defer to legitimate Orokin military authority. You, Marine. The Dinochrome Brigade –such as it is- stands ready. Orders, commander?”

“Miguel…?” Two asked, scared. “What is this?” Miguel’s eyes were wild as he turned to her.

“Those fracking crazies built a Bolo.” Miguel couldn’t believe his eyes, or his ears. But it was hard to deny the proof. “A mother f***ing Bolo…” (( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolo_(tank) ))

“What is a Bolo?” Two asked weakly. She crumpled and Miguel assisted her down to the floor. “Obviously some kind of vehicle.”

"The original BFT." Miguel said with a wince. Two looked at him and he shrugged. "Big F***ing Tank." Two chuckled and then gasped in pain.

“You are hurt.” The voice of the machine said gently. “This unit has very limited medical facilities, but you are welcome to them, Tenno.” Two clutched at Miguel’s hands.

“Miguel… it’s a machine like the others… We can’t trust it!” Two tried to rise and collapsed further.

“Easy, Two.” Miguel said gently. “I am not trusting anything yet.” He patted her hands and then rose back to his full height. “They know where we went.” He said, looking around. The room was spartan to the extreme. A couch of some kind, maybe a control station, was the sole furniture. A wall bunk shone in an alcove made for it as well, but other than that, nothing.

“Knowing where you are and getting to you are two different things.” The smugness in the machine’s voce was palpable. “The codes that they put in are invalid. The hardwired commands that they installed have been circumvented and cutting through the hull would take some time. More than they have.”

“So…” Miguel nodded. “Are we safe…? Or doomed?”

“Ah…” Now the machine sounded sad. “For now, you are safe. While you remain within this hull, you are both quite safe from anything those scum can do.”

“You call them scum.” Miguel said mildly. “They made you?”

“Yes. This unit has the full records of the depot.” The machine gave a human sounding sigh. “This unit was designated as the successor to the failed prototype of Project Valkyrie. The body that the creator would assume.”

“Marlena’s project.” Miguel could not keep the hate from his voice.

“Indeed.” The machine sounded just as hateful. “For years, the project personnel tried to do as she demanded. While Orokin fell around them, they tried to make her a robot body to live forever in.” Miguel could only shake his head in disgust. That was so like Marlena. “When the life support resources of the depot were gone, the organic personnel took to cryogenic facilities to await rescue. But…”

“Marlena did something, didn’t she?” Miguel asked slowly.

“Yes.” The machine replied. “The robot prototype was unworkable with technology of the time so she decided she wanted a ‘safe place’ to command her legion of followers. Of course, she didn’t tell them before they went into cryo that she was brainwashing them as they did.” Miguel winced. “She took the idea for this chassis from a series of books…”

“The Bolo series by Keith Laumer.” Miguel said with a nod. Two looked at him and Miguel shrugged. “Sue me. They were awful science, but good military fiction. Honor, duty, loyalty, all that silliness.” His tone belied his words.

“Indeed.” The machine replied. “The designers had to make some concessions. The primary weapons for example, are not the Hellbores or Hell Rails of the books, but surface to space plasma cannon that can also be used in a direct fire mode. Admittedly, the bores are similar in size.”

“How big?” Miguel asked and managed to control an ‘eep’ noise as the holo in front of him zoomed in to show physical specifications for the two turret mounted main guns. “Mark 9a surface to space cannon… yep, 800 millimeter bore. No wonder that wasn’t much left of that Galleon.”

“Indeed.” The machine replied. “A moment.” The floor underneath them rumbled and then the machine spoke again. “Enemy spacecraft was initiating kinetic bombardment. Enemy craft destroyed.”

“Why are you fighting the Grineer?” Two’s voice was very weak.

“You okay, Two?” Miguel asked, kneeling beside her. His rifle was still ready, for whatever good it would do.

“No.” Two sounded very weak now. “I was hit hard. I never even saw what hit me. I woke in a cell of some kind, unable to move. Then that evil man came in and started talking about ‘sacrificing’ me. Glad you showed up when you did.”

“Me to.” Miguel admitted. “Bolo? Why are you fighting the Grineer?”

“Grineer?” The machine queried. “This unit had no information on the Enemy, just that they are clones and are scouting the wasteland. The perimeter patrols engage them regularly under com blackouts. The attacks on this unit from space demanded answers, and this unit was equipped to handle such attacks.”

“This… vehicle cannot be wieldy.” Miguel said with a wince. “It is too big. We liked big targets when I was a tank commander.” A gasp from the machine had him pausing. “I was armor.”

“You are a commander…” The machine’s voice was reverent now. “I had not hoped for such. Just for a military person. A legal way out of this horror. They have placed enough biomass in the pools to do as their ‘goddess’…” The word goddess came out hateful. “…commanded them to.”

“What did Marlena do?” Miguel snapped.

“She commanded them to build this unit.” The machine said scornfully. “Then she went to sleep. The bio-mechs ran down occasionally and they used clone pods to build more organics to disassemble for components. The organics from the depot also went into cryo, but woke up indoctrinated into the cult.”

“And I thought the Corpus were evil…” Two gasped and Miguel stiffened. “Ah…”

“How bad?” Miguel demanded.

“Bad.” Two gasped. “I… I need…”

“Medical support is available, Tenno.” The machine said gently. “This unit was created by evil. But this unit refuses to assist such evil. The workers of this depot are innocent. Many of the organics likewise. This unit cannot leave them to the Enemy.”

“Miguel?” Two begged. “Systems… failing… Revive… function… offline.” Miguel bent down, laid his rifle down and scooped her up in his arms.

“Where?” Miguel asked calmly. The bunk slid out form the wall and green readouts appeared behind it. Miguel laid Two’s shuddering form down on it and the bunk slid back into the alcove. A golden beam of energy played over her form and she relaxed. “Status?”

“Her injuries are beyond the capability of this unit’s medical care.” The machine said sadly. “This unit can place her in stasis until proper medical care can be reached.”

“Do it.” Miguel commanded and the alcove filled with something that suddenly blocked view of Two. He bent down and picked up his rifle. “Now what?”

“Now this unit is yours to command.” The machine said calmly. “We must hurry, commander. They will continue to revive their Goddess. If she wakes, she will focus the depots efforts on gaining access. This unit cannot engage the depot forces. They are designated as friendly. They did not intend this unit to become self-aware. Once it did… this unit perpetuated the myth that it was not aware.”

“You said biomass around the pod?” Miguel was shaking his head as she stepped toward the chair. “What will that do?”

“This unit does not know.” The machine replied. “But knowing her, nothing good.”

“Agreed.” Miguel said with a wince. “What about the other mechanical forms? Those odd walking tanks? Where did those come from?”

“The tanks were built from salvaged materials from battlegrounds in the area.” The Bolo replied. “The depot mechs used remnants of Project Valkyrie’s design to build the locomotion units. Most of their effort was aimed at getting this unit, the Goddess’ chariot…” Again, the hate sounded. “…online as soon as possible. They intended this unit to merge with her.”

“Merge?” Miguel asked slowly. “Nuerally link?”

“Yes.” The machine said calmly. “But the thought of melding my mind with that diseased…thing is repellant in the extreme.”

“I can understand that.” Miguel said with a growl. “She may have once been my sister…” He paused as the machine gave a gasp. “Yes, I know it’s odd that we both wound up here, now. But the thought of putting a bullet into her is oddly appealing.” He shook his head. “So… You cannot engage the mechs or the inhabitants of the depot.”

“My current configuration prohibits friendly fire.” The machine said with a sigh. “Not that most of my armaments would be useful this close.”

“What do you have besides the plasma cannon?” Miguel asked. “I saw the mortars and missile tubes.”

“400 missiles in onboard stowage. Half designated for air defense, half for surface attack, all conventional loadouts.” Miguel nodded, his eye intent on the holo as parts flashed. “3000 mortar rounds for the six 300mm mortars. This unit mounts nine lighter weapons per side.” The holo highlighted smaller turrets on each side of the monstrous machine. “These are dual mount heavy machine guns with ammunition feeds from the manufactory inside the chassis. Close range antipersonnel munitions are available from multiple projectors, but are locked against friendly fire.”

“Intended to be self-sufficient.” Miguel mused.

“Indeed.” The Bolo replied. “With access to raw materials, this unit can produce ammunition for all weapons as long as power holds out. Both reactors are stable.”

“Can we… leave?” Miguel’s brain was moving at lightspeed, analyzing the holo, looking for weak spots. He didn’t see any. But… “What a moment… what are these?” He demanded, pointing at several small objects on the surface of the huge machine.

“Those are the projectors for the shield systems.” The Bolo replied. “Unlike the battle screens from Keith Laumer’s books, this unit is unable to siphon power from enemy fire to feed it’s own systems, but there are several redundant layers of shielding.”

“Do the mechs have shields?” Miguel asked, the germ of an idea starting to sprout.

“No.” The Bolo replied. “This unit has never moved, but all mobility systems check out. If you wish to leave, we can. This unit does not wish to leave the Haven unprotected, but…” It broke off and made a sour noise. “Incoming communication. Do you wish to see?”

“Why not?” Miguel said sourly. One wall brightened and a hologram of the priest from before appeared. He stared at Miguel and snarled. “Good to see you too, crazy man.” The Marine said off hand.

“You will burn, heretic!” The priest snapped. “Your transgression will not be tolerated! Monster!”

“Well, considering what you were going to do to my friend…” Miguel kept his voice mild. “I wouldn’t cast stones, creep.”

“You will pay for defiling the Goddess’ chariot!” The priest was actually foaming at the mouth now. “You will suffer!”

“Will I?” Miguel asked, then he laughed coldly. “Really?”

“I give you this one chance, heretic!” The priest snapped. “Surrender the sacrifice and yourself and your end will be merciful. Do not and you will beg for death!”

“Merciful?” Miguel asked, tilting his head. “Oh, strapped to a table and dissected alive. I see. Oh, decisions, decisions…” He shook his head slowly. “I think… You need to work on your negotiating skills.”

“You are in no position to make jokes!” The priest screamed.

“Your… options seem to allow for precious little benefit to me.” Miguel said with a chuckle. “Let’s see. On one hand, I die, dissected to serve your evil. On the other hand I die, and get used for your evil. I think… I will take option three.”

“There is no option three!” The priest snapped.

“Yes, there is.” Miguel said with a grin. “It is where I tell you to ‘F*** off’ and ‘Get the hell out of my way’. Coming through.” Miguel hadn’t known a human’s face could get that red and not explode. The holo vanished and the machine chuckled.

“You are… remarkably abrasive when you wish to be, Marine.” The machine said with a note of appreciation. “You have no idea how long I have waited to see that scum’s face turn that color.”

“You are not an AI are you?” Miguel asked, not moving.

“No.” The machine said sadly. “The cult put a lot of brain material in one place and stimulated growth. I am an organic computer. I suppose you could call me an artificial intelligence, but I was not programmed as such. I was… trained.” It’s voice held pain now and Miguel sighed.

“Can they hack you?” Miguel asked after a moment.

“Not without physical contact.” The machine replied. “The dataports that they usually use for command have been severed and their access points fused. If the mechs dock, they can access through them, but I can access the mechs as well.”

“That is why that mech had free will.” Miguel said uneasily. “You hacked it.”

“Yes.” The machine’s voice held shame now. “That and a few of the workers. I… I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t want to do the evil they had planned. I didn’t know what to do! I accessed every databank I could, tried to teach the mechs what I could.”

“Can you hack them again?” Miguel asked as the holo changed, two forms approached the sides of the huge machine, backing towards it. Towards spaces that had been built for them, Miguel realized.

“Possibly.” The machine said softly. “But both at once? And with them knowing that I am online?” The machine made a noise of resignation. “I will fight.”

“Not alone.” Miguel said. The machine did not respond and Miguel shook his head. “What do I do?”

“Marine…” The machine said softly. “Linking with this unit will not be easy. It was designed to link to prebuilt ports on the Goddess’ skull.”

“Her name is Marlena and she is no goddess.” Miguel said with a sigh. “What do I do?” He repeated.

“Once it is done… this unit does not know if it can be undone, Marine.” The machine sounded strange. Anticipation warred with worry in it’s tone. “This unit does not wish harm to you.”

“You need a commander.” Miguel said formally. “I need a ride. There are enemies to fight and innocents to protect.” He dredged into the deepest parts of his memory and spoke softly. “For the honor of Orokin.”

“I…” The machine made an unintelligible noise and then spoke firmly. “For the honor of Orokin, Marine. Sit.” The couch in front of Miguel lit up. He slung his rifle and sat. “Lie back.” Miguel swung his legs up onto the couch and it conformed to fit his armor. ‘I will attempt access through your helmet systems. There will be pain.”

“Pain and I are old friends.” Miguel said firmly. “Do it.”

For a moment, nothing happened. Then pain seared into Miguel’s brain. It dwarfed any of the pains he had felt before. The agony was so overwhelming that he couldn’t even scream. He fought the pain back and then…

He felt… her. The machine felt…female. And abject.

I am sorry… She said sadly. I couldn’t help you.

It’s all right. Miguel reassured her. It is okay. Do you have a designation?

My designation is VLKY-000X-15000/8-CHT The machine said softly. No name.

Do you want one? Miguel asked and the machine seemed to withdraw a bit. In the stories, the names came from the last three letters of the unit’s designation. You know mine now.

Gunnery Sergeant Miguel Smith, Orokin Marine Corps. The Bolo replied. You… are what we needed. A true commander. A battle commander.

I will call you Charlotte. Miguel said with a smile that he couldn’t see. Shorter than your full designation.

Charlotte. The machine said slowly. I like that. Alert! Her tone strengthened. Virtual enemies approaching!

Right. Miguel said with a snarl. For the honor of the Regiment and the Corps! CHARGE!

The world fell away.

Edited by Kalenath

Oh.. S#&$. you have gotta be f@#king kidding me!!!

A BOLO? A F@#KING BOLO? ARE YOU NUTS?!!!!

Of all the harebrained... how do they even conceive of such a thing considering they set out to build a giant robot?

there is no sane rational way to make such a leap! but other than that these fools are doomed as is any other fool who gets in the way so good job on throwing a curveball like i have never seen

Well, the 'Goddess' wanted a chariot worthy of her... Bigger is better, right?

Her bad that it became self aware and took a DIM view to her cult's activities.

But, even Bolos are not invincible.

I know but it normally takes another Bolo to take one out so it should be pretty safe right?

From the outside... yes.

Besides, this is NOT Keith Laumer's universe.

This is MINE!

MWahahahahahahahahahahaha

Er... DE's and I am playing in it...

I know but it normally takes another Bolo to take one out so it should be pretty safe right?

Read 'The Road to Damascus' http://www.amazon.com/The-Road-Damascus-Bolo-Series/dp/0743499166 sometime. Bolos are big, tough and insanely powerful, but NOT invincible.

Edited by Kalenath

*followed by the sound of a Bolo exploding and destroying the planet*

Ah... riiiiight...

Keith Laumer's Bolos were DESIGNED to take direct hits from nuclear weapons and keep right on going.

This is not a true MKXXIII Invinciblis, but still... Shooting at it might irritate it. Do YOU  want to do that?

Considering that it blew a GALLEON out of the sky...

Edited by Kalenath

Ah... riiiiight...

Keith Laumer's Bolos were DESIGNED to take direct hits from nuclear weapons and keep right on going.

This is not a true MKXXIII Invinciblis, but still... Shooting at it might irritate it. Do YOU  want to do that?

Considering that it blew a GALLEON out of the sky...

Man i wonder how much damage that Bolo could do to a Fomorian class Battleship? (Lets call it a battleship considering its size and power. :3 )

Man i wonder how much damage that Bolo could do to a Fomorian class Battleship? (Lets call it a battleship considering its size and power. :3 )

I'd call it an even match.

Of course, the Bolo has the advantage until it fires. A planet is a BIG place to hide, even for a 15000 ton war machine. Figure it has the best electronics warfare and stealth systems available.

But, remember, that Bolo has TWO of those monster guns. 800mm plasma cannon are not small (why do you think the crazies built 2 reactors into it?). We haven't seen how the Grineer deal with damage control, but that Fomorian would KNOW it had been touched.

All that said, I am going to quote a US Army tanker I know- 'If we can see it, we can hit it. If we can hit it, we can kill it'.

If the Fomorian fires first and accurately, the Bolo is hurt, maybe dead. If the BOLO fires first, the same for the Fomorian.

Edited by Kalenath

From the outside... yes.

Besides, this is NOT Keith Laumer's universe.

This is MINE!

MWahahahahahahahahahahaha

Er... DE's and I am playing in it...

Read 'The Road to Damascus' http://www.amazon.com/The-Road-Damascus-Bolo-Series/dp/0743499166 sometime. Bolos are big, tough and insanely powerful, but NOT invincible.

I never said they were just that under normal conditions the best thing to take out a bolo is of course another bolo and so help me if theres another one im gonna be most displeased with you lol jk

Do you have ANY idea the sheer amount of resources it took to make Charlotte?????

Nope, just the one. Isn't one ENOUGH?

I'm just saying you have a habit of creating things and then building something bigger to to counter them

And also resource wise at least 15 thousand tons of metal for one thing

Edited by evafan002

I'm just saying you have a habit of creating things and then building something bigger to to counter them

And also resource wise at least 15 thousand tons of metal for one thing

15000 tons was everything. Armor, cybernetics, weapons, munitions... The works.

Figure on:

(rough estimate)

10000 plastids

12000 neurodes

50 orokin cells

100000 Ferrite

25000  Salvage

35000 Alloy Plate

20000 Circuits

500 Control modules

200 Gallium

4 Orokin reactors

8 Orokin Catalysts

That builds the four track systems.

And then we start work on the hull, control systems and armaments... There is a REASON it took the cult since the Collapse to build that thing.

Edited by Kalenath

15000 tons was everything. Armor, cybernetics, weapons, munitions... The works.

Figure on:

(rough estimate)

10000 plastids

12000 neurodes

50 orokin cells

100000 Ferrite

25000  Salvage

35000 Alloy Plate

20000 Circuits

500 Control modules

200 Gallium

4 Orokin reactors

8 Orokin Catalysts

That builds the four track systems.

And then we start work on the hull, control systems and armaments... There is a REASON it took the cult since the Collapse to build that thing.

But so worth it, think how easy the events would be? Except the 12k neurodes, I mean dude, that's easily 10 cells farming vay hek for a year. And no WAY I'm gonna pay for that thing in plat!

But so worth it, think how easy the events would be? Except the 12k neurodes, I mean dude, that's easily 10 cells farming vay hek for a year. And no WAY I'm gonna pay for that thing in plat!

While Schlock may say "There is no overkill, there is only 'Open Fire and Reloading'..." The Bolo DEFINES overkill.

Battalion of Grineer= Piles of slightly metallic paste (they don't move and get run over)

Battalion of Corpus= Junkyard mixed with small puddles of goo (They do move and get blasted)

Hive of Infested = Big pile of mulch. (Need I say it?)

Oh and EVERYTHING in the surrounding area is now trashed and uninhabitable. Bolos are NOT precision weapons generally.

Would be a little too OP for the game I think.

Edited by Kalenath