Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Guide] How Not To Emblem: A Cautionary Tale.

holyicon

• 4 months later...
23 hours ago, chaotea said:

Does the colour correction work by merging the whole image (as a copy) and then lowering the brightness and contrast?

The extremely short answer if you're lucky is "yes".

HOWEVER

Depending on the overall tone values of the image -- err, how the dark and light elements are emphasised or make up the details of the image.

[Something I should probably link in the OP]
[This too][And this]

What can make it tricky -- If your image is overall bright, just darkening it may help -- BUUUUT...
If it has both extremely light and dark areas, a slight reduction to contrast (or isolating the dark areas so they are not affected by the change in brightness) may help keep the dark areas from becoming completely flat black or losing too much detail.
And then... if there's a mix of Light and Medium areas, actually increasing the contrast while reducing the brightness may be the way to go.
Furthermore, some images may require a dark mask with a gradient (something I didn't really discuss before because it literally takes pages to do so properly).

It's a balance of both mechanics and aesthetics with no real "right" answer for ALL images.

Obviously, the tips I've given in the OP are designed to help you avoid the main issue -- overbloom.
For whatever your image is though, it still stands that the final product should not exceed rgb(200, 200, 200).
Your tonal/color curve should be adapted to peak somewhere below that mark.
Whatever shape the curves follow along the way is entirely your choice.

Techniques demonstrated in the OP would, essentially, help anyone get their image below just that specific threshold of being too bright but retaining as much detail as possible.
But the image may still require Artistic tweaking, that the OP simply can not address in full due to the infinite nature of Art. lol

It's admittedly more complicated than a simple image submission needs to be, and much more complex than just "Yes" or "No" but, there it is.

Edited by holyicon
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm a Clan Emblem Designer with a pretty decent portfolio. I am just writing to say I can't thank you enough for your post. It shines light on what I should do in terms of my designs to conform to the render engines and make sure they look good on all applications. That said, it would be so nice if you can pay a visit to my forum post and check out some of my works, some I've done before I came across your work and I do believe the ones that came after my reading it surely perform better in-game. Either way, I truly appreciate you spending time and sharing with us your wisdom and knowledge. Salute! 

Here is my forum post. Thank you!

My Clan Emblem Design Forum Post

Edited by (PS4)povo844
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, (XB1)II Ronja II said:

Thank u so much for this thread! Very helpful! I was wondering, does anyone know if u can use free images, such as clipart etc that are free for personal use? Or does Warframe count as commercial use? I mean I'm obviously not selling anything, but the game itself might count anyway? I'm unsure...

I would advise you get some help from a credible designer so they can come up with emblem designs that are unique and free of copyright infringements. Please take a look at my forum post to learn more about what I can offer you in terms of your emblem design.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, -_Highlander_- said:

:angel: ok and why is nobody talking about the GREEN channel that needs to be disabled 

I have an emblem thats way complicated than that .. first try the good try no fuzz 

Disable the GREEN channel in photoshop

:thumbup::nerd:

If you disable the GREEN channel you won't have any GREEN. How will you pay your bills then? Huh?

l3h.png

• Like 2

But did you disable before of after ?

try both and post those

-- early days DE rebbeca mention this in the prime time stream that you need have Green Channel disabled 

so you build only on top of the other channels .. Green channel is more for transparant 

Thats what i know and did before i made my own clan emblem

But pls post it if it made any diffrence to it .. normaly it shouldnt :angel:

ps the post above me doesn't have anything to do with making Emblems its an wallpaper and not an made Logo as this whole topic is all about!

PNG .. Needs Green Channel Disabled . otherwise transparancy doens't work on its best .. maby this explains more

Edited by -_Highlander_-
Typo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, -_Highlander_- said:

But did you disable before of after ?

try both and post those

-- early days DE rebbeca mention this in the prime time stream that you need have Green Channel disabled 

so you build only on top of the other channels .. Green channel is more for transparant 

Thats what i know and did before i made my own clan emblem

But pls post it if it made any diffrence to it .. normaly it shouldnt :angel:

Green is a color. Computer graphics use three colors to make everything they display: Red, Green, and Blue. Without green, all you can make is black, red, blue, and various purples. To get anything in the gray scale, or any other color besides purple, you need green.

That money picture I posted? It had green. I applied the luminosity from the original to the de-greened image so that it would look better while still getting the point across. The landscape shows what color range is actually available without green.

Edited by egregiousRac
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, egregiousRac said:

Green is a color. Computer graphics use three colors to make everything they display: Red, Green, and Blue. Without green, all you can make is black, red, blue, and various purples. To get anything in the gray scale, or any other color besides purple, you need green.

That money picture I posted? It had green. I applied the luminosity from the original to the de-greened image so that it would look better while still getting the point across. The landscape shows what color range is actually available if you have no green.

Only when you making an 24 bit bmp wallpaper yes then you need all the colors .. but for png files .. based on clan emblems then you need to switch off green channel for the transparancy .. thats why i said it in the first place this topic is based on clan emblems not making wallpapers

• Like 1

Just now, -_Highlander_- said:

Only when you making an 24 bit bmp wallpaper yes then you need all the colors .. but for png files .. based on clan emblems then you need to switch off green channel for the transparancy .. thats why i said it in the first place this topic is based on clan emblems not making wallpapers

If you turn off the green channel, you will only have black and shades of red, blue, and purple. That's how additive color works.

PNG is a four channel format, as is DE's texture format ingame. Standard images use RGBA, meaning that they have three colors and an alpha (transparency) channel. Interestingly, most objects in the game don't use RGBA, they use MARC. They store metallic, albedo, roughness, and color masks (which allow you to color items) as four channels on a single texture.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, egregiousRac said:

If you turn off the green channel, you will only have black and shades of red, blue, and purple. That's how additive color works.

PNG is a four channel format, as is DE's texture format ingame. Standard images use RGBA, meaning that they have three colors and an alpha (transparency) channel. Interestingly, most objects in the game don't use RGBA, they use MARC. They store metallic, albedo, roughness, and color masks (which allow you to color items) as four channels on a single texture.

Great explaination :thumbup::cool:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey folks, I tried my hand at a new emblem(this would be #3) Here's the results:

Original image:

newclansubmit2018try-2.png

Display settings -high:

20181108095454-1.jpg

Display settings low:

20181108095548-1.jpg

20181108095636-1.jpg

My current settings - texture quality x4, ambient occlusion, shaders, volumetric lighting, no blur, and no bloom.:

20181108095425-1.jpg

20181108095639-1.jpg

P.S-

This is more an illustration of the effects of your display settings than me looking for advice, what do you think though? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TLViolynn said:

Hey folks, I tried my hand at a new emblem(this would be #3) Here's the results:

Original image:

newclansubmit2018try-2.png

Display settings -high:

- snip -

P.S-

This is more an illustration of the effects of your display settings than me looking for advice, what do you think though? 

Beautiful! ❤️

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, Ragnarok2865 said:

- snip -
Any advice on getting this to play nice? as it has a lot of white/transparent areas.

I actually don't see anything that's wrong with it considering that the style is a single tone without (much) partial transparency (just along the edge between the red and the transparant).
Not much risk of the "partial transparency glitch-flaring thingy" happening here.
At least not in a volume that would hide the design.

That said, I'd need to load the source file into an editor to see exactly what's going on with alpha channel, but again, it looks fine.

If you've already submitted it and are having flaring issues, what I would do is:
* If you're using an alpha channel to create the transparency, make sure the color of the pixels masked out by an alpha channel are all the same tone.
* If you're using empty pixels on the emblem's layer to create the transparency, make sure the transparent region outside the anti-aliasing of the emblem's edge is 100% cleared/deleted.
What I've seen (and experienced first hand) is even pixels with as little as 1% opacity will still render a full volume flare if there are enough of them in a cluster.
The partial transparency of an anti-aliased border, however, will not produce a significant flare if it's kept to within 2px wide, 3px on a diagonal.
And you want to keep the border as close to what you have now to avoid jagged edges.

That leaves the only other issue that might pop up, the brightness.
Your red is roughly/near rgb(215,25,32) in most places I checked.
Even though the red value is above 200, I expect the combined rgb brightness to be low enough not to produce an overbright flare.
Perhaps a soft, warm-ish glow.
Remember that if Warframe's renderer does actually flashlight it (which I doubt), you should still be able to Zendesk ticket it for a swap with a dimmer version.

So overall, I give this Emblem a thumbs up.

Good luck and good hunting, Tenno!

Edit: I'm not 100% sure on this, but symbols and images from other games 'might' not be allowed. Though that may only pertain to copyrighted media. That may be a question for the Players helping Players section or better research into allowed images (TOS) errata.

Edited by holyicon
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, (PS4)VinterasBote said:

Hey any advice on get this one looking really good ? atm it'S very shiny 😕

- snip -

Right now the light areas around the person is ranging between about rgb(204,197,189) and rgb(235,225,218).
Considering that this makes up the majority of the image, it's gonna produce a lot of flare.

If you play around with Levels and/or Curves a bit, you may be able to dim it and preserve detail...

unknown.png
After this Levels edit, the clouds/lightning are about rgb(182,181,174) and rgb(198,191,184).

unknown.png
Then after this Curves edit, the clouds/lightning are about rgb(150,150,145) and rgb(165,165,163).

It'll still be "Shiny", but considerably less so.
Doing this with the source will produce better results in terms of preserving detail than what I could do with the 128px Emblem version, so I'll leave that to you.

Good luck and good hunting, Tenno!

• Like 1