Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Guide] How Not To Emblem: A Cautionary Tale.

holyicon

vor 3 Stunden schrieb holyicon:

Right now the light areas around the person is ranging between about rgb(204,197,189) and rgb(235,225,218).
Considering that this makes up the majority of the image, it's gonna produce a lot of flare.

If you play around with Levels and/or Curves a bit, you may be able to dim it and preserve detail...

unknown.png
After this Levels edit, the clouds/lightning are about rgb(182,181,174) and rgb(198,191,184).

unknown.png
Then after this Curves edit, the clouds/lightning are about rgb(150,150,145) and rgb(165,165,163).

It'll still be "Shiny", but considerably less so.
Doing this with the source will produce better results in terms of preserving detail than what I could do with the 128px Emblem version, so I'll leave that to you.

Good luck and good hunting, Tenno!

okay thanks i will try this in the next days, if it won't work i may come back with the source 😉

Thanks and good hunting, too 😃

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I will share with my logo as well if you don't mind. 🙂 

Additional resource in helping people to see the differences. Original project (+ process) vs results in the game:

X9SnLgK.png

8B5E40EE48F7871BFF21CBCCDEDC5DFD41F51A46

Unfortunately, I didn't know about this thread while working on my logo. There are some changes that I could and should have applied.

EDIT: Additional screens in more common environment, with a closer look (I got most settings on low/disabled):

MWXJapT.png

Don't make my mistake and tone down your brightness (try using levels and curves, just like holyicon have mentioned), because as you can see, reflection on "LOTUS" (gradient in the final version) is completely gone. 🙂

Edited by -LB-Tanuki
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This needs to be updated.  PHOTOSHOP in CC version does not even have the option to
"Preferences >> General >> Image Interpolation".  option, not to mention the "save to web" section is all wrong and updated in Photoshop now.

Just sayin'.  I did a new emblem in Illustrator, I was just looking for WHAT DE looked for in DPI, guess it is web based at 72 dots per inch..  Nobody gives you the hard damn numbers people Like ME look for.  DE please put not just 128 x 128 but your actually requirement in DPI with extra shiny sprinkles of glaring white noise on top.  Also, state how beaming amounts of light may project from the whites in your design making it unvisiblably ridiculous for anybody to pay 150 recosts.  Yeah, I know I used like two words that are not invented yet but seriously FIX this.  Why do clan's have to pay for PLAT for the SAME good looking emblem toned down still?  I hope this was fixed.  I make some realism an Illustrator work, hope it shows up well.

I know when you make LOGO'S you should not use PHOTOSHOP, you should use ILLUSTRATOR, just because of the scaling capabilities in vector.  Plus, scaling + or - the pixels will hold up only the final embedded color you have to worry about most of the time.

Edited by (PS4)Poestis
  • Like 1

Hi holyicon, thanks for this thread! 

On 2019-09-28 at 8:51 PM, (PS4)Poestis said:

I was just looking for WHAT DE looked for in DPI, guess it is web based at 72 dots per inch..  Nobody gives you the hard damn numbers people Like ME look for.  DE please put not just 128 x 128 but your actually requirement in DPI with extra shiny sprinkles of glaring white noise on top. 

This is not how DPI works, as it is relatively meaningless in this (screen rather than print) context. As stated earlier in the thread, you should oversample your original art (e.g., rasterize out of Illustrator) at least 2× (256×256) and preferably more (4× or 8×); make any adjustments; then, as the very last step, downsample to 128×128.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2019-11-12 at 4:19 PM, Meta_Dragonis said:

Can someone please give me feedback on this design? Will it be too shiny in the Game?

8FrLKkp.png

Reveal hidden contents

Jo95dxB.png

The white is gonna be a flare issue if the new color grading system can't keep it from blowing out.

This is exactly why we need an in-game-engine preview option.
Just to walk around on your orbiter with a local file on your arm for 30sec should be enough.

Btw... I submitted my Alliance Emblem a few days ago.
Will report back with results when it goes live.
emblem_albion.png

• Like 2

Am 10.12.2019 um 22:42 schrieb holyicon:

The white is gonna be a flare issue if the new color grading system can't keep it from blowing out.

This is exactly why we need an in-game-engine preview option.
Just to walk around on your orbiter with a local file on your arm for 30sec should be enough.

Btw... I submitted my Alliance Emblem a few days ago.
Will report back with results when it goes live.
emblem_albion.png

thats my concetn, too. Thats why I have altered the design and used the colours from the official guide...

Yb8MVMn.png

curious how it turns out but still too reluctant so submit.

also curious of how your emblem turns out...

• Like 1

unknown.png?width=1020&height=608
Was so excited to fly my Railjack, I almost forgot to post this.

23 hours ago, Meta_Dragonis said:

thats my concetn, too. Thats why I have altered the design and used the colours from the official guide...

Yb8MVMn.png

curious how it turns out but still too reluctant so submit.

also curious of how your emblem turns out...

Indeed. I have been using their evolving guide, plus my own research to maintain this thread for several years now. lol

Edited by holyicon
  • Like 1

vor 8 Stunden schrieb holyicon:

unknown.png?width=1020&height=608
Was so excited to fly my Railjack, I almost forgot to post this.

Indeed. I have been using their evolving guide, plus my own research to maintain this thread for several years now. lol

so this is wat it turned out ingame? if yes: not bad. maybe they have changes something so that the glow etc is not too bright?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2020-03-18 at 7:29 AM, DavidCurser said:

i dont understand what this is about

I'm glad I caught this before anybody made a snide comeback.

Okay so, in short, Warframe used to have an (much bigger) issue with how its lighting affected your clan's shoulder emblem.

Many of the players who submitted images did so without full knowledge of the parameters that could prevent this from happening.
So I took it upon myself to create a guide to aid players' getting their Emblem to work within that limitation, while not drifting too far from their origional design. 

Take for example your Clan's Emblem...
unknown.png

Because it uses colors that are not too bright, it's appearance in-game will look true to intent.

But let's say for instance it looked like this...
unknown.png

Because the colors are brighter, the game's lighting engine may affect it too aggressively, causing a "spotlight" of bloom that might obscure the design.

Obviously I used a little overkill in my example, lol

Over the years Warframe's lighting engine has been tweaked and rebuilt a few times, and while it's ... let's say "kinder" to Emblems these days, we will not have a perfect system until players can preview their Emblems within the game's engine before submittal.

Have the fun, and be safe ❤️

• Like 3

On 2019-06-18 at 9:04 PM, -LB-Tanuki said:

I will share with my logo as well if you don't mind. 🙂 

Additional resource in helping people to see the differences. Original project (+ process) vs results in the game:

X9SnLgK.png

8B5E40EE48F7871BFF21CBCCDEDC5DFD41F51A46

Unfortunately, I didn't know about this thread while working on my logo. There are some changes that I could and should have applied.

EDIT: Additional screens in more common environment, with a closer look (I got most settings on low/disabled):

MWXJapT.png

Don't make my mistake and tone down your brightness (try using levels and curves, just like holyicon have mentioned), because as you can see, reflection on "LOTUS" (gradient in the final version) is completely gone. 🙂

That is a beautiful emblem. Nice job buddy!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Le Original

Spoiler

XfzDvkO.jpg?1

And my revamped version

Spoiler

QbJqUuD.png

CMLmGu4.png

So of course it'll be a bit before they're added to the game, but I wanted to say thank you to you, Holyicon, for putting together all this research.

I may need to tweak the overall brightness down a hair to get the right shading ingame, but it might not even get there if me Lord doesn't use it sadly.

Knowing the programs used helped me with downscaling, so I'll mention my process.

My preferred editing software is Pixlr Editor. I have all my experience with it, and I find it runs better on my computer, which is over $1k and not just a toaster. I found that simply picking a color in Adobe Photoshop CS6  would take at least 10 seconds to show the RGB value. That said, Pixlr has zero sampling options for downscaling. So it's all assembled in Pixlr, and Save'd as a 1024x1024 PNG.

I had specifically downloaded Photoshop for my project though which means I had to find a copy that was pre-subscription based.

Shady links and stuffs, "Don't be a pig, think before you dig."

The PNG transferred perfectly, and downscaling worked great overall, but it seemed like the lettering was a little off with the through-holes. What I did to tweak it was to save the lettering layer as a separate PNG in Pixlr, and then downscale by adjusting the height a pixel at a time to about 31 from 29. It seemed to save the through-holes and 'circuits' where they come out clean at normal zoom.

• 1 month later...

It's really telling that DE has chosen to pin this thread instead of just taking the time to FIX THEIR GAME.

I am seeing a lot of suggestions here for things like an in-game preview function - which would be trivial to implement and save your players a lot of hassle. It would also be great to simply change things so emblems behave more naturally, and display as one would expect them to display.

But no, you've embraced the nightmare system you've created, and decided to leave it like this forever.

That's really bad, DE. Really, really bad.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Saw this great thread after I tried to upload my emblem but since no plat has been deducted it might not have worked and it looks like I have another chance at checking if my emblem would work before I try to upload it again 🙂

So if anyone of you fine people could lend me a minute, how do you think this would turn out in regards to lighting?
iwIcZuH.png

EDIT: I found out about semi-transparent pixels and have made sure to remove all of those so I am mainly interested if you guys think the emblem is too light 🙂 

Edited by (PSN)real_Dan_Hibiki
  • Like 2

On 2023-01-20 at 5:52 AM, (PSN)real_Dan_Hibiki said:

So if anyone of you fine people could lend me a minute, how do you think this would turn out in regards to lighting?
EDIT: I found out about semi-transparent pixels and have made sure to remove all of those so I am mainly interested if you guys think the emblem is too light 🙂 

You've got a nice design. To your question, yes I think you should make a few adjustments. There are two different topics here: spots of brightness and contrast between colours. You might be able to fix them both with one alteration, or you may want to approach them separately. Keep in mind you only need to make subtle changes to make the red and orange pop-out more and the bright yellow to pop-out less.

1) Spots of Brightness - the brightest points will get some bloom effect, which is bad. The bloom will bleed all over the place, making your pic look smeared. If you can reduce the light levels of the specific bright points, you will save yourself some trouble. I've highlighted the brightest points to show you where the bloom will originate from, those are the places where you want to reduce brightness.
OrCalTA.png

2) Contrast between Colours - If you only zap the brightness, you will notice that your whole picture will lose some luster (the attractive vibrant colours). The human eyes are annoying because they make automatic colour corrections when we aren't paying attention, this is compounded with the fact that the game engine will add some contrast and colour correction of its own. If you colour correct to increase some of the red-levels, when looking at the picture in-game it will appear more balanced. What I've done here is just kill the Gamma Channel, you can see the same areas where the brightness was highlighted in the previous picture but the red and orange are almost invisible.
fMgAjsl.png

I hope this helps you with your final adjustments. Balance is a hard to achive abstract. Good luck! 😸

• Like 2