Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Guide] How Not To Emblem: A Cautionary Tale.

holyicon

what about partial transparency on black stuff on the emblem?, anyone knows if that would that make the emblem uber-shiny too?

Since bloom seems to key on the brightness of each pixel regardless of its alpha, I would assume darker (and I mean darker) colors would be easier to make internally semi-transparent.

However, brighter colors that feather over them due to the bloom may appear brighter than they should, and/or lower the perceived contrast.

My advice would be to color internal areas rgb(1,1,1) where they would normally be transparent to prevent this and avoid using any internal transparency unless absolutely necessary for the design.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, is it Hanukkah already? Or is there gonna be a Jewish syndicate in warframe?

hmm...

The Red Mitzvah!, featuring Synagogue Gammacour at Revered Rabbi rank.

or wait, wait,

The Perrin Kippah, featuring Tallit Katana as a reward.

k, I'm done, what I am trying to say is that sigil looks like a Menorah candle.

David Ninjastars, k now im done.

Edited by SenariousNex
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

yPs1wSh.png

This is the new clanlogo I just uploaded, the last one was too bright (apparently - by the way, THIS is it without glow I think - old picture :D interesting that the yellow glow around the logo was NOT added by me yet it's part of the emblem there). This one is not shiny or anything (not my first after all) but it might be useful to know that the black shading is simply not there within the game. So careful guys :)

Actually it feels like the emblems use the same way of rendering as energy color was implemented for abilities and muzzleflash, namely black being fully transparent and invisible (and you could only see the basic white-smoke).

The ability coloring looks fine now but DE should really fix emblems too, after all we are literally paying for this thing and the preview is misleading to say the least, not to mention I miss my dark shade that made the logo quite nice in preview.

Edited by K_Shiro
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Clan_Emblem

take a good look at this + i add your post to wiki

Spiffy, thanks for the mention.

<snip>

...  but it might be useful to know that the black shading is simply not there within the game. So careful guys :)

Actually it feels like the emblems use the same way of rendering as energy color was implemented for abilities and muzzleflash, namely black being fully transparent and invisible (and you could only see the basic white-smoke).

...not to mention I miss my dark shade that made the logo quite nice in preview.

Indeed, partially transparent pixels (such as the shading around the edges, and between the filigree of your emblem) seem to create over-bright issues.

What I see as going on in the game, is the rendering engine uses your emblem's PNG:Alpha Channel to determine transparency first, but THEN comes back with the bloom filter based on the brightness of the pixels that are at least partially visible.

So if true, the actual color of each pixel does not affect the transparency, but does affect the glow: either by color multiplying it or by adding luminosity (yes, even when black, ikr). And it's that glow that makes your edge work disappear. :(

This is one of the reasons I suggest limiting or avoiding transparency within the "inside" of the emblem, especially partial transparency, that just seems to feed the "glow" even when those pixels would normally not be bright enough to cast a glow.

It could even be possible that the bloom, blur, local lighting and reflections passes are reading color (or at least the brightness) from the pixels behind the semi-transparent parts of the emblem with it as a whole, rather than separating foreground from foreground. Perhaps as a rendering shortcut? And that this is causing additional intensity?

But to prove that I'd need access to DE's trade secrets and about 2000 free hours to learn and then test it. That's not gonna happen, lol.

In any case, awesome Emblem design! :D

And sorry about having to resubmit, I feel your pain.

EDIT: P.S. Wow, is this thread really over a year old. o.O;;

Edited by holyicon
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

would something like this work?

i guess the corners would need to be rounded and transparent?

It'll work, but you are correct: you'd need to soften, tapor or trim it in some way otherwise you end up with a sharp square.

Again, I really wish there was an in-engine previewer.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for this guide!

I wish the devs would do something to fix this, maybe by reducing the cost of updating the emblem, or giving a couple (time limited) free changes when paying the 150p.

Obviously, the best solution would be to allow some in-game rendering of the clan Icon. Out of curiosity, has anyone tried to extract the actual icons in-game to see how they were made? Or maybe swap one of the files with your clan logo for a quick local test.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Do you guys think this one would work?

vou1Vv2.png

Bloom might kill a bit of the leafing but you can fix that by dropping a solid black disc on a layer behind it.

(then blurring the disc to remove the hard edge.)

The text might be a little small, but should still be readable when zoomed in.

I'd darken it overall (slightly: 8~10%), and up the contrast (5~8%) between the yellow and orange.

I'm on a new PC right now, and haven't really installed anything except Warframe. If I can get around to it soon, I'll throw up an example of of what I'm talking about.

EDIT: Just need to figure out this Random Restarting issue. If it's my PSU or GPU that's doing it. ><;;

Edited by holyicon
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Think this would work?

pPcj9cA.png

Should be okay.

Not too bright, and the transparency shouldn't be an issue.

I'm currently trying to find a method of previewing Emblems in the TennoGen toolkit, but it's very limited. If I have any breakthroughs I'll make a note of it in the OP.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to disagree with the OP on one point: You should NOT use Bicubic Sharper for downscaling like this. Bicubic, Bicubic Smoother, or Bilinear will give better results in nearly all cases when downscaling. The sharper variant is actually more useful for upscaling.

Now what if the colors are dark to begin with almost black even

You should be fine for the most part. Partial transparency is still risky though.

As general reference, here are my current emblems in the liset with Bloom but not Color Correction:

fqp.png

Here are the files that I uploaded:

80w.png4e9.png

The Excal gives a good idea of where the bloom threshold is for a solid thing. He is blown out, while the (elongated) Scindo is not.

Edited by egregiousRac
  • Like 1