Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Low Fps (10-22, Some Times 30-) (Meeting The Requirements) No Matter Low Or High Settings.

Zpraycle

Question

Hi, i posted this on Steam community hub discussion, but didn't get an answer that fixed my problem.

I get a very bad fps on warframe. i don't have any problem with any other game always 30 or more at least.

but with warframe it goes 30 or below.. some times 40.

my system meats the requirements, also checked on can you run it and game debate and both say i can easily run it, smooth.

specs:

CPU: AMD phenom II x4 40 (3.00GHz)

RAM: 4GB ddr3 1333MHz.

Graphic card: ATI radeon HD 4850 (512 mb)

Enough HDD space.

Windows 7 64 bit.

no matter what settings i put it on (high or low) it stays the same fps. everything lowed out same fps as everything maxed out. maybe 5 fps difference.

Is there a way to fix this?

My graphic card could be the only thing i could think of, but the requirements say you need an ati radeon hd 3600 or up so i don't get it.

NOTE: Changing graphic settings in game didn't help me. if i turn everything off/low i get the same fps if i turn everything on/high (only 5 fps difference, which is like nothing).

does your computer say: 4gb (3.00 usable) ? something like that

oh, and some games have a ram memory cap, means that they don't use the full capability of your RAM

Nope, that would only occur if i had onboard on, which i don't have on :)

I use the full 4GB.

Are your frames bad all the time of just at times?

Well at first in the mercury missions my fps was 30+ most of the times. but later in other planets like mars, saturn, jupiter etc. the fps started to drop down. when i spawn it's around 30 fps.. when i get in huge areas (open areas or big areas inside) my fps starts drop to 22. and the more people are in.. the lower the fps.. with like 3 others the fps is most of the time only 10-17 .. but when with only myself it's around 22-30 most of the time.

Maybe you have background programs running and they're causing the fps drops? Download this program called 'Game Booster' and see if it helps.

The only programs i run are skype, steam avg and the game itself that's it. game booster didn't work for me, no difference.

In your graphics settings in-game, are you in Windowed, Borderless Full Screen, or Full Screen? I've noticed that Borderless Full Screen kills my performance. Also, I've heard that disabling the Aero Theme in windows 7 can help with graphics performance. In order to disable the Aero theme, right click on your desktop and select Personalization. Then select one of the themes under the Basic and High Contrast Themes area.

Hope that helps

In your graphics settings in-game, are you in Windowed, Borderless Full Screen, or Full Screen? I've noticed that Borderless Full Screen kills my performance. Also, I've heard that disabling the Aero Theme in windows 7 can help with graphics performance. In order to disable the Aero theme, right click on your desktop and select Personalization. Then select one of the themes under the Basic and High Contrast Themes area.

Hope that helps

Oh, my settings are at borderless full screen, because otherwise some things don't fit well on my screen.

I have a square monitor (1280 by 1024 resolution) but even setting ratio to 4:3 or auto some things fall of the screen if i don't make it borderless full screen. haven't tried windowed mode yet. but fullscreen gives me those problems.

I'll try disabling aero theme, and try windowed mode, and report back to say if it helped me.

Oh, my settings are at borderless full screen, because otherwise some things don't fit well on my screen.

I have a square monitor (1280 by 1024 resolution) but even setting ratio to 4:3 or auto some things fall of the screen if i don't make it borderless full screen. haven't tried windowed mode yet. but fullscreen gives me those problems.

I'll try disabling aero theme, and try windowed mode, and report back to say if it helped me.

Ok i tried both disabling aero theme and changing to windowed mode. and did my test run (i always use the 2nd mission on mercury to test run and test my fps (since its easy and fast).

when my game started up i was very positive i had around 60-80 fps! (i was alone though)

later on in the game when 3 other people joined it started to go down to around 28-33 fps.

So it does help a little bit i guess, but not enough. since this is only the 2nd mission where not a lot of action is in yet.

in other missions later on the fps gets worse. so i expect it to be around 17 fps still.

if i could get a fps of at least 40+ in that mission i would be more than happy. (if this is possible).

but as to see it's still in beta i'm sure they will do things to make the fps of it better (at least i hope so).

but anyway, thanks for the suggestion :)

Are there any more suggestions?

Things i could try out or change to get more fps.

I just did the mission kiste at ceres.. and it was unplayable at the half of the mission. i was with 3 other people and i got a constant fps of 8-10 fps. really unplayable. i have windowed mode, 1024x768 resolution (i changed resolution to 1024x768 because i figured it would give me more fps, wel not really).

Update your drivers. If your hardware should in theory run it, the you must have a software problem (assuming nothing is broken). Unless I'm mistaken 4850 is an old card (was it '08, maybe '09?) so unless you updated your drivers often, you may have missed important fixes.

Check Solo vs playing with people. Are you the host in those games? There is a noted relationship between lower performance and hosting for 2 to 3 people. Hits just about eveyone. Your hardware is on the weaker side... not that I can say much with a Xeon X5482 and ATI 5870... however Warframe also tends to load more on the CPU so that can be an issue when you're host.

Edited by Brasten

Update your drivers. If your hardware should in theory run it, the you must have a software problem (assuming nothing is broken). Unless I'm mistaken 4850 is an old card (was it '08, maybe '09?) so unless you updated your drivers often, you may have missed important fixes.

Yeah my drivers are updated to the latest version (13.1). it has to be something software related, but i don't know what.

Yeah the 4850 is an older card, but still it's in the requirements, so it should run at 30+ fps at least. or else the requirements aren't completely right. and i think they tested it first before making those requirements :P

Check Solo vs playing with people. Are you the host in those games? There is a noted relationship between lower performance and hosting for 2 to 3 people. Hits just about eveyone. Your hardware is on the weaker side... not that I can say much with a Xeon X5482 and ATI 5870... however Warframe also tends to load more on the CPU so that can be an issue when you're host.

yeah solo gives me more fps, but that's mainly because the other players interact with the other enemies too, create items, particles, etc. so that makes it slower.. but i don't think it has to do with being host, since that's only internet speed related. but it does indeed affect others if i am host and i get like 8 fps, it affects the others' gameplay.

my cpu should be ok too. what i haven't tried yet is running it on only 1 or 2 cores. instead of all 4. but i don't think it will help me out very much. (in some games it does though).

To my understanding (I've seen similar discussions on this forum and other games that use P2P networking) hosting a game does indeed place further stress on the CPU and other systems of the Host's PC. Even just "networking" in general is run almost completely by a PC's CPU/Memory with a very few rare exceptions in the case of special add-on networking cards that take a lot of the load of the PC itself. Unless you have one of those special cards, chances are you are using on-board networking built-in to the PC's motherboard. So yes the host's PC can take a big beating, depending on those factors. It has to process the data it receives from the other players and then re-send it to everyone else, plus the server.

Also check to see if networking settings are set to be optimal for gaming speed OR download speed. The two do not mix well in P2P gaming. Many people like faster downloads so they tweak their settings to funnel all available resources for maximum speed and then wonder why their online gaming is laggy. Also especially in peer-to-peer games like Warframe (P2P without dedicated servers hosting games) a very important factor is your home networking's *upload* speed. Very important. Commercial network internet providers set a cap on upload speeds that is waaay lower than download speeds, but to host a P2P game you need high upload speeds with very low latency as well. If you're hosting a game and you have an uber awesome PC but low upload speed, then your framerate hits the bucket and slows the game down for the host and the other 3 players to match the network rates it can handle.

So I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the issue being network releated.

Have you gone into your AMD control panel to see what your performance/quality settings are? You can remove antialiasing etc so that might be worth a look.

Yeah i put most of it to, "use the application setting", catalist A.I. on advanced, the rest on performance/high performance, adaptive AA checkbox is off, openGL settings checkbox off.

To my understanding (I've seen similar discussions on this forum and other games that use P2P networking) hosting a game does indeed place further stress on the CPU and other systems of the Host's PC. Even just "networking" in general is run almost completely by a PC's CPU/Memory with a very few rare exceptions in the case of special add-on networking cards that take a lot of the load of the PC itself. Unless you have one of those special cards, chances are you are using on-board networking built-in to the PC's motherboard. So yes the host's PC can take a big beating, depending on those factors. It has to process the data it receives from the other players and then re-send it to everyone else, plus the server.

Also check to see if networking settings are set to be optimal for gaming speed OR download speed. The two do not mix well in P2P gaming. Many people like faster downloads so they tweak their settings to funnel all available resources for maximum speed and then wonder why their online gaming is laggy. Also especially in peer-to-peer games like Warframe (P2P without dedicated servers hosting games) a very important factor is your home networking's *upload* speed. Very important. Commercial network internet providers set a cap on upload speeds that is waaay lower than download speeds, but to host a P2P game you need high upload speeds with very low latency as well. If you're hosting a game and you have an uber awesome PC but low upload speed, then your framerate hits the bucket and slows the game down for the host and the other 3 players to match the network rates it can handle.

So I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the issue being network releated.

Ok, yeah my internet speed is pretty bad. but the problem is, if i join other people's games, i lag (not fps lag, but internet lag) a lot. so i HAVE to host, otherwise it's unplayable on the internet lag side.

my DL = 1 mb/s (around 8 mbps) upload is 0.2 - 0.4 mb/s (0.9 mbps). (the mbps is done via speedtest, the other values i got via steam downloading files).

I know, it's pretty bad. but people didn't seem to complain about lag to me when i host :P

Could you lists what settings you used in-game and on AMD Catalyst, and also running background program through task manager (preferrably screenshot)?

How about the usual step (*cough*myths*cough*), like defragging, cleaning+defragging the registry, uninstalling crappy programs, disabling startup system hogger?

Do you disabled the driver and core paging (less HDD access)?

Edited by Athros

How about chipset drivers? are they up-to-date? Sometimes it helps to update them too, not just the Gfx card drivers.

Yep, in fact, you should update ALL your driver. Just in case though, because there is some cases of old driver(s) that caused a conflict within a system, that may lead to a degraded overall performance. Oh, and your motherboard's BIOS too (and GPU firmware, if available). But please, do the flashing carefully, because it may lead to a complete board replacement if the flashing is interrupted...

Could you lists what settings you used in-game and on AMD Catalyst, and also running background program through task manager (preferrably screenshot)?

How about the usual step (*cough*myths*cough*), like defragging, cleaning+defragging the registry, uninstalling crappy programs, disabling startup system hogger?

Do you disabled the driver and core paging (less HDD access)?

Sorry but I mentioned my settings and background programs in previous posts already.

Defragging/ cleaning doesn't matter. since i just formatted the pc a month ago.

And I have 4GB RAM.

How about chipset drivers? are they up-to-date? Sometimes it helps to update them too, not just the Gfx card drivers.

Yep, in fact, you should update ALL your driver. Just in case though, because there is some cases of old driver(s) that caused a conflict within a system, that may lead to a degraded overall performance. Oh, and your motherboard's BIOS too (and GPU firmware, if available). But please, do the flashing carefully, because it may lead to a complete board replacement if the flashing is interrupted...

Everything is up to date :) i study IT so i know about drivers etc. i always make sure my drivers are up-to-date.

Sorry for the helluva quotes...

Sorry but I mentioned my settings and background programs in previous posts already.

Defragging/ cleaning doesn't matter. since i just formatted the pc a month ago.

And I have 4GB RAM.

The only programs i run are skype, steam avg and the game itself that's it. game booster didn't work for me, no difference.

No, I meant the whole list. There are a lot of crappy process/services that maybe not too essential to run, but still hogging memory/CPU thread...

It doesn't matter if you have 4 GB of RAM if you still caching some important core files to HDD, because it will still impact the speed of the data processing, moreover with an intense disk reading programs like games...

If you haven't disabled the driver and Windows core paging, you should do it; as you may already know, RAM speed is way faster than HDD. less HDD accessing = more HDD lifespan = more speed!

But then again, maybe it was only a myth, although it does work on my system.

Everything is up to date :) i study IT so i know about drivers etc. i always make sure my drivers are up-to-date.

:) Nice!

I hope my friends would do the same. They were always nagging me, asking "why is my computer so slow?" without checking it first...

So the system is still fresh... Hm... That shouldn't be a problem...

Did you download the driver from :

http://sites.amd.com...on_win7-64.aspx

(dated 17th Jan, AMD's latest driver pack, but not always containing drivers for old cards. Maybe? Even my HD 6730 can't use this one because it doesn't have the right driver for it. Currently I used the driver from 12.9 beta version, because the the ones from 12.10 is faulty, at least for my card. It always gives blank screen.)

or this one :

http://support.amd.c...iw-vista64.aspx

(dated 21st Jan, searched through AMD site for HD 4xxx series. They said that "AMD has moved to the AMD Radeon™ HD 4000, AMD Radeon HD 3000, and AMD Radeon HD 2000 Series new driver support model. These updates will focus on resolving application specific issues and critical updates." Huh.)

Both of it using the same pack version/rev. number, 13.1, but containing a different version of driver, OpenCL, and Catalyst.

Do you install the driver directly from your downloaded driver pack or using the CD provided by your GPU factory, then install your downloaded driver pack? Just maybe though it happens to have the same problem as mine...

Try revert to previous version of the driver pack, maybe it'll have a different result.

Sorry again for the long post. :)

Sorry for the helluva quotes...

No, I meant the whole list. There are a lot of crappy process/services that maybe not too essential to run, but still hogging memory/CPU thread...

It doesn't matter if you have 4 GB of RAM if you still caching some important core files to HDD, because it will still impact the speed of the data processing, moreover with an intense disk reading programs like games...

If you haven't disabled the driver and Windows core paging, you should do it; as you may already know, RAM speed is way faster than HDD. less HDD accessing = more HDD lifespan = more speed!

But then again, maybe it was only a myth, although it does work on my system.

:) Nice!

I hope my friends would do the same. They were always nagging me, asking "why is my computer so slow?" without checking it first...

So the system is still fresh... Hm... That shouldn't be a problem...

Did you download the driver from :

http://sites.amd.com...on_win7-64.aspx

(dated 17th Jan, AMD's latest driver pack, but not always containing drivers for old cards. Maybe? Even my HD 6730 can't use this one because it doesn't have the right driver for it. Currently I used the driver from 12.9 beta version, because the the ones from 12.10 is faulty, at least for my card. It always gives blank screen.)

or this one :

http://support.amd.c...iw-vista64.aspx

(dated 21st Jan, searched through AMD site for HD 4xxx series. They said that "AMD has moved to the AMD Radeon™ HD 4000, AMD Radeon HD 3000, and AMD Radeon HD 2000 Series new driver support model. These updates will focus on resolving application specific issues and critical updates." Huh.)

Both of it using the same pack version/rev. number, 13.1, but containing a different version of driver, OpenCL, and Catalyst.

Do you install the driver directly from your downloaded driver pack or using the CD provided by your GPU factory, then install your downloaded driver pack? Just maybe though it happens to have the same problem as mine...

Try revert to previous version of the driver pack, maybe it'll have a different result.

Sorry again for the long post. :)

I use the driver from the first link, i'll try the 2nd link now, just to make sure :)

I don't install it via CD since that driver is hugely outdated and doesn't seem to work anymore. I always use the website of my motherboard for the latest drivers, except for the gpu ofcourse.

I'll try out the disabling pagefile just because i want to try out everything to get more performance on this game.

Edited by DuTchEr95

Shucks. :(

It's seems weird, considering that it seems there are no problem with the system, whether hardware or software-wise...

How about submitting a ticket?

Here's everything what you need to prepare before submitting a ticket.

https://digitalextremes.zendesk.com/entries/22884986-What-information-should-I-give-when-submitting-a-ticket-

And you can submit it here:

https://digitalextremes.zendesk.com/requests/new

Good luck man, I hope your problems get solved quickly.