Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

That New Corpus Speech...

Otakuwolf

Yeah... I'd say (as a linguist) that this language system is heavily flawed. Imagine financial negotiations! You say 'bucks' and you partner in negotiation understands a bad word. Ouch! (I'm literally shaking with laughter right now)

I also imagine this is why the corpus fail to dominate all of creation: They have people begging for tree parts to carve, and they keep getting sent bundles of sheep.

EDIT: This is also probably why everything they make is made of metal these days.

EDIT2: On the bright side, this means corpus poets almost always rhyme, whether they want to or not.

Edited by Llyssa

Even though my own experience with linguistic is almost non-existent, I have got the feeling that this could work rather well with use of emphasizing and pitch accents. Also I do wonder, as the normal English language has a horribly weird orthography, how does this translate into Corpus? If they'd just go more "literally", it would be understandable...

By the way, I love the way how DE cares to give their people more character, so keep it up! And maybe go a little deeper into the language thing!

Translation:

Oh, rice.

Come ad me frap?

It's good that you're already trying to get profit by having your youtube videos monetized! Thinking like a corpus already!

It was

Oh, nice.

Come at me, brah?

Didn't even know they were monetized.. 0.03 CENTS HERE I COME!

It was

Oh, nice.

Come at me, brah?

Didn't even know they were monetized.. 0.03 CENTS HERE I COME!

See, that translation doesn't make any sense to me.

What self-respecting corpus would pass up a chance to put ads on his frap of gameplay?

Even though my own experience with linguistic is almost non-existent, I have got the feeling that this could work rather well with use of emphasizing and pitch accents.

Well, it looks like the Corpus have some kind of reversed Chinese. Where there are Chinese characters that have multiple pronunciations, the Corpus have a pronounced sound that can be written down with multiple characters. I can't wrap my mind around this, yet.

Granted, the brain of an adult will have difficulties with differentiating pronunciation in a language he or she never learned before (try to say something in Chinese. A Chinese person won't understand a word, no matter how much you try to pronounce it right, heh), and there are different ways to pronounce [p] & [t], but the Corpus seems to pronounce them the same, no matter how much I listen to it (oh, hi, Pepe!). Looking at the IPA chart, we'll see that there aren't many pronunciations for the plosives (yet) http://www.ipachart.com/ (have fun with clicking the sounds! Some are just hilarious). 

Corpus seems to have implants in their throats that create sounds a normal human ear can't hear, as well as implanted sound receptors in their ears. We hear them calling each other Pepe, but in reality they call Tenno bad names, heh. 

I'm reading too much into this all xD

Well, it looks like the Corpus have some kind of reversed Chinese. Where there are Chinese characters that have multiple pronunciations, the Corpus have a pronounced sound that can be written down with multiple characters. I can't wrap my mind around this, yet.

Granted, the brain of an adult will have difficulties with differentiating pronunciation in a language he or she never learned before (try to say something in Chinese. A Chinese person won't understand a word, no matter how much you try to pronounce it right, heh), and there are different ways to pronounce [p] & [t], but the Corpus seems to pronounce them the same, no matter how much I listen to it (oh, hi, Pepe!). Looking at the IPA chart, we'll see that there aren't many pronunciations for the plosives (yet) http://www.ipachart.com/ (have fun with clicking the sounds! Some are just hilarious). 

Corpus seems to have implants in their throats that create sounds a normal human ear can't hear, as well as implanted sound receptors in their ears. We hear them calling each other Pepe, but in reality they call Tenno bad names, heh. 

Wow. Overly complex.

Easier:

The corpus language is confusing as @#$% when spoken aloud, but exceedingly clear when written.

All corpus have something covering their eyes when encountered.

Ergo, it makes the most sense that all corpus are equipped with speech-to-text devices that auto-correct for the most-logical sentence.

That way, they can communicate in virtual secrecy, out loud, in front of business contacts and customers, by using their corpus language, and speak to their business contacts and customers in their own language.

That's why Alad, Frohd, and Darvo all have great command of the english language--we're customers/business contacts. That's why all corpus speak in corpus when we're attacking: They want what they're saying to remain a secret.

Far more logical than secret inflections and impossible dialects.

See, that translation doesn't make any sense to me.

What self-respecting corpus would pass up a chance to put ads on his frap of gameplay?

A = A

B = T

C = Y

D = P

E = E

F = T

G = J

H = K

I = I

J = T

K = K

L = P

M = S

N = T

O = O

P = K

Q =

R = T

S = Y

T = P

U = U

V =

W = J

X =

Y =

Z =

This didn't make sense to me either.. lel

Ergo, it makes the most sense that all corpus are equipped with speech-to-text devices that auto-correct for the most-logical sentence.

Autocorrect's divine evolution. We're not even close.

Imagine if the software is buggy/hacked. Chaos and mayhem, you wouldn't understand your own mom xD

Wow. Overly complex.

Easier:

The corpus language is confusing as @#$% when spoken aloud, but exceedingly clear when written.

All corpus have something covering their eyes when encountered.

That way, they can communicate in virtual secrecy, out loud, in front of business contacts and customers, by using their corpus language, and speak to their business contacts and customers in their own language.

That's why Alad, Frohd, and Darvo all have great command of the english language--we're customers/business contacts. That's why all corpus speak in corpus when we're attacking: They want what they're saying to remain a secret.

Far more logical than secret inflections and impossible dialects.

Talking about reverse Chinese, the Japanese language has a hugely small number of sounds present, and there are normally no accents (only pitch accents), so there are many words that sound either awfully similar or exactly same. It is perfectly understandable, though, (and good for puns) due to circumstances and the such. Of course, written it is perfectly clear either way through the use of Kanji, in a similar, more complex, version of the Corpus alphabet.

Hm, I can't help but doubt the thought that there is a language absolutely impossible to understand without implants or something... it would be nice to believe that it's just the voice actors not having the instructions, organization or even thoughts to care about differentiating the accents.

Also, another question: Why would none of the vowels, which are probably the weirdest part of English writing, be changed...? And how are they pronounced properly in combinations? Same goes for some consonant combos not even resembling their sound, the classical "th".

Talking about reverse Chinese, the Japanese language has a hugely small number of sounds present, and there are normally no accents (only pitch accents), so there are many words that sound either awfully similar or exactly same. It is perfectly understandable, though, (and good for puns) due to circumstances and the such. Of course, written it is perfectly clear either way through the use of Kanji, in a similar, more complex, version of the Corpus alphabet.

Hm, I can't help but doubt the thought that there is a language absolutely impossible to understand without implants or something... it would be nice to believe that it's just the voice actors not having the instructions, organization or even thoughts to care about differentiating the accents.

Also, another question: Why would none of the vowels, which are probably the weirdest part of English writing, be changed...? And how are they pronounced properly in combinations? Same goes for some consonant combos not even resembling their sound, the classical "th".

Not *impossible*, just difficult and sketchy, at best.

I mean, there's literally 6 consonate sounds.in all of corpus language.

You can make it out, but you have to think about it, or have something think about it for you. Hence why it makes sense they always have computer aided vision.

On the one hand, it's a good point that their ears are always covered. However, it seems silly that they'd have something translating and repeating what they just heard. Also, a tad confusing. Would need a lot of noise cancellation.

On the other, firstly, they're not warriors, so they don't design things for "What about Tenno?" as the first thought. In fact, their designs are rather flimsy when actual combat starts. Secondly, if they can still hear the language, and they're using it constantly, they can guess most of the time, only needing to glance at the overlay occasionally to double-check themselves. Thirdly, it's not actually that hard to read while in combat.

based on the fact, what corpus and grineer alphabet do not have liters "q" and "x" I think it may be so:

a->a
b->t
c->y
d->p
e->e
f->t
g->j
h->k
i->i
j->t
k->k
l->p
m->s
n->t
o->o
p->k
q->y
r->t
s->y
t->p
u->u
v
w->j
x->ky
y
z

reverse:

a->a

e->e
i->i
j->g, w
k->h, k, p, x
o->o
p->d, l, t
s->m
t->b, f, j, n, r
u->u
y->c, s, q

and my thought about why techs says "p" instead "t" - may be they are from planet or mothership with low gravitation, so they are so tall and have their own subetnic pronounce