Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Grineer Are Too Weak By Themselves. I Know, Let's Add Death Traps!

Llyssa

I like the idea of new and varied things, however I do believe the new traps on the galleon are a bit overkill.

Firstly, MOST IMPORTANTLY, Galleons are the tileset for Mercury. The idea that newbies are facing this is painful. I'm finding them a bit overwhelming and I've got tricked out gear. I do not want to imagine what baby excals suffer when they hit these--they do more damage to me than excal has health+shields below r12.

Secondly, overwhelming element of surprise. The broken light fixtures are hard to see, match the natural geography perfectly, and their range is enough that they can blast you the second you approach an open door, even if you cannot possibly see them from any angle. The door field is an orange light in a tileset that regularly uses orange lighting, with a green bar that matches the green bar normally found on top of doors there. You have to advance very carefully if you want to spot anything in time, and unless you have a codex scanner equipped, you're bound to be hit by something anyway.

Thirdly, power levels. The light traps do absurd amounts of damage, and the door fields drain 100% of your energy. For well-hidden defenses, they're quite good. For fun and exciting gameplay, they tend to be more dangerous than the grineer.

Also, the flash of light on the strike of the broken lights is way too bright.

I understand they were probably added as an adaptation to the new stealth 1.0, but they've made the grineer galleon my least-favorite tileset.

They need to be toned down significantly, made a bit more rare(I've had as many as 8 broken lights in a 3m area), made a far more obvious and visible, and the newbies need a reprieve.

It's an interesting idea, but the current execution is awful. =(

Doors are fine, lights are not, especially as you say for the new players.

Once the door catches you, you will check each door for the camera, even new guys can handle losing their shields for a moment (at worst it is one revive).

However, the lights can be anywhere, and even after being hit three times on the potato alert I still don't know what they look like before they activate.

Do the lights hit the Grineer?  If not, why not?

They are, after all, covered in Alloy armor and holding guns and Machetes, perfect conductors!

I like that they added more 'environmental' hazards to the Grineer, but they were already tough enough. The laser doors are stronger than the Corpus', the lights are blinding and deal enough damage to vaporize my shields and it seemed to have magnetized me.

They do have a slight amount of sparks and if you're looking straight at them, and they're loading right(friends of mine have not seen anything at all, despite me pointing out the EXACT locations), they usually have a bit of purple electricity on them.

As to the guy taking 10 damage, congrats, I'm getting hit for 400+. Best one struck for 823.

As to the loki guy: are you invis while doing this? I haven't tested to see what invis does, but in general, it's hellish.

I can't imagine happily scampering about while getting smacked repeatedly for 400 to 800 damage within a few seconds.

It's BS. In my opinion you should be able to slide through these and the Corpus doors like you could before. Enables speedrunning and still requires timing to do. But even without that, the Grineer doors are OP. Stripping shields and energy is ridiculous, when you're trying to rush it means you're without shields half the time, and you can't even fire off a power for breathing room. Furthermore I haven't even seen cameras for them. The broken lights haven't seriously injured me, but I had no idea what they were or why I was getting zapped, and really, they should be hitting Grineer too.

I love the lights, and I think teaching new players that rushing past everything not paying attention is a HUGE part of the improvements needed. This old mentality of rusher vs explorer needs to go, and we need the game to have pacing like every other game to bring the community to a consensus.

They obviously need tweaks. Right now they're hard to detect, have long ranges, seem to shoot through walls/ceilings to hit people coming from unintended directions, and maybe they do too much damage, IDK. Been playing Rhino Prime with Iron Skin up so I can't judge the numbers... but yeah, they need Tweaks not removal. They are a good step forward for giving the game pacing and making the environment matter.

My 2¢.

IMHO

I'm really loving walking through doors and being instakilled because the game is constantly placing these 'environmental hazards' right above them, on the far side where they can't be seen.  That's a real fun game mechanic they've come up with.  XD

Why is this billed as a "fast-paced" game when they seem to keep adding features that punish you for being ... fast-paced?

I've just done a couple of alerts on Mercury, and had to shoot the door cameras to get through the doors, even with the camera scan showing green.  I can understand the Grineer not being too happy about us helping them, but keeping their doors on 'stun tenno' seems a bit harsh?

As for the lights - I'm running around in a level 25 rhino prime (yes, I know), and I'm not really noticing anything - is this iron skin saving me again?  If so, I'll join in the 'OP' complaints (even though it is my favourite frame at the moment) if it's really hitting people that hard.

Maybe we should send volt to stand next to one of these lights for 10 minutes before any levels (s)he does to get a charge up?  

As for the lights - I'm running around in a level 25 rhino prime (yes, I know), and I'm not really noticing anything - is this iron skin saving me again?  If so, I'll join in the 'OP' complaints (even though it is my favourite frame at the moment) if it's really hitting people that hard.

Maybe we should send volt to stand next to one of these lights for 10 minutes before any levels (s)he does to get a charge up?  

I didn't realize what the fuss was about either, until I realized "oh yeah I'm playing my Rhino".  Tried doing a rank 8 infested invasion with a rank 8 non-Rhino warframe... ow.  Constant four or five hundred damage unavoidable hits from the far sides of doors.

Yes the lights zap iron skin so you don't really take any damage. Outside of that they hit like a @(*()$ truck. Pretty awful design choice by DE IMO.

Edited by JustiniZHere

Going to repost my reply to another topic about my encounters with the lights

Seriously though I was just doing an infested exterminate on earth on my low level ember and got d/c from the random group I joined so I'm doing it solo. No big deal I can deal with infested no problem especially at that level. I died about halfway through the mission without ever taking a hit by an enemy unit. After the first zap I was even slowing down to spot the damn things and disabled a few but still got zapped continuously by ones that were on the opposite side of doors/behind obstacles. When I finally died to the stupid things I just gave up on the mission I refuse to waste revives on this bs.

I cannot overstate that these things are way to common and too easily unavoidable for how much damage they do.

The magnet doors I like though, they're easy to spot and disable but punish you for rushing too much. I have encountered a few bugged ones though where the door frame is flush with the ceiling so the only way to disable them is with an explosive of some sort. Might work better to have the sensors on the side of the door frame so this doesn't come up.   

Edited by Riot_Inducer

Please remove the lights, or tone down the effects. Having my entire screen go white out of nowhere is not fun. I like running around levels, jumping, doing parkour. This is a exaageration, but i don't want to be crawling around the level, peeking at everything for lethal lights.

The new grineer security doors are great.

Edited by Zeromanicus

The part that REALLY gets me on this is upcoming melee 2.0.

Now that one of the most common tilesets has all sorts of environmental hazards that you have to shoot, this means that you're going to be required to stop, change weapons off of melee, fire, and then go back to melee, every single time you see one, as you cannot hit this with melee attacks(even the cool ones they were showing).