Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Frost Or Rhino?

Davey

Question

14 answers to this question

Not played frost, so can't comment on that Frame.

Rhino, though.... that one is a beast to say the least.... could use a bit of a boost on the range of its first skill, but other than that the other 3 skills are very good for close in fighting and survivability (Iron Skin)

Trinity is a healer; healers often do well with tanking.

Trinity's most useful skills are Vampire and Link. Her actual 'heal' skills aren't as useful in any sense.

If they are to you, so be it. I simply see Trinity as a tank for Vamp+Link chain, rather than healing.

Edited by FlameLaevateinn

Frost is a moderate tank that works more like a mage.

Rhino is the one true tank amongst all the frames.

(Trinity counted as a magic tank, I guess?)

Can you please explain when you say 'moderate tank'? I checked the wikia and both Frost and Rhino have the same armor/vitality/shield, so why is Rhino the true tank?

Thanks.

Frost doesn't actually have any skills that qualify as 'tank' skills.

Instead, Frost has a stronger AOE 4th skill.

The first 2 skills are basically just small ice attacks. (first is a freeze move, second is a miniscule ice pillar)

The third skill opens up a huge sphere of ice that blocks shots from the outside(regardless of ally or enemy fire) and slows enemies inside it.

Fourth is an AOE dealer.

Rhino, unlike Frost, actually has a tank skill called Iron Skin.

Temporarily makes it so ridiculously tanky, it becomes invincible while active. (I think it actually renders you invincible, entirely)

Level 3 gives 15 seconds of invulnerability, I think?

p.s. In terms of boss-tanking, the winner is actually Trinity, not Rhino or Frost.

Trinity never runs out of energy fighting most bosses. (exceptions exist, particularly the ones with massive shields and Jackal)

Edited by FlameLaevateinn

Yeah get rhino man....he was the first frame I made and as soon as he was ready, i maxed out iron skin, then got continuity (longer power duration) so I get almost 19 seconds of invuln...and I can use this ability 4 times (I got 100% extra power), meaning 76 seconds of invulnerability! Couple this with the scindo or fragor...and really you cant die!

Certification of Experience: [Own both Rhino and Frost at Rank 30, both crafted through dropped blueprints]

Between Rhino and Frost, they are both very "tanky".

1. The Rhino has an innate Armor boost, which is quite significant.

2. The Frost has an innate Shield base value.

3. These work well with Armor and Shield Cap mods respectively.

ex: [Frost has base value for shields of 150] x [+100% Shield Mod] = 300 total shield points. which is 100 points higher than Frames with standard 100.

However they have their own strengths that are actually quite apparent if you analyze few of their abilities.

1. Frost

-Freeze: Allows control, mainly to freeze a boss or heavy unit to buy time to revive or recharge shields.

-Snow Globe: Creates an impenetratable sphere that allows you to basically give an objective or your teammates ranged invincibility

2. Rhino

-Rhino Blast: AOE that causes surrounding enemies to fall. Helpful to create a window of advantage, allowing your squad to open fire to downed mobs.

-Steel Skin: Turns yourself completely invincible to damage and stun. Helpful since it allows you to act as a Revivor, ignoring bosses and large groups while allowing you to fight large groups of enemies without fear.

TLDR: Frost's skills help him be better against defending multiple things at once within a bubble while freezing single dangerous enemies

Rhino's skills help his team survive through reliable revives and offensive crowd control by Rhino Charge or AOEs

Bottom Line: These two are equally useful in different situations that, i'm my perspective, make them equally balanced in terms of pro's and con's.

Hope I helped you on your decision making on which one suits your playerstyle the best!

Edited by Garuda1

Certification of Experience: [Own both Rhino and Frost at Rank 30, both crafted through dropped blueprints]

Between Rhino and Frost, they are both very "tanky".

1. The Rhino has an innate Armor boost, which is quite significant.

2. The Frost has an innate Shield base value.

Rhino has 150 base shields. Before update 7, they both had 150 armor listed.

Rhino's "quite significant" armor gives him some (?) damage reduction. Try it against a level 1 Sawblade Grineer. 50 damage to shields (shields take full damage?), once shields are down, 40 damage to health. Frost has the same reduction.

Edit - I tried this with Mag. 50 damage to shields, 66 damage to health. How does this work again?

Edited by LoRDxDeMoN

well i can say that Rhino is the Tank only because of "Rhino SKin" Frost is like a Dps(Damage Per Second) he can tank but cant do much of anything else also for any tank Warframe it depends how you play and what mods you have have like me i use a Hek(only cause its high lvl and best damage) for low lvl i would use a shotgun bolto or kraken pistol also i would not recomend focusing on armour mods cause wen you find a sheild mod you become a true tank so to sum this all up

IT DEPENDS HOW YOU PLAY

also Enjoy the game :)