Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gaming Headset: Usb Or 3.5Mm ?

DEATHLOK

Question

I'm very excited the game has integrated VOIP. In fact, I want to get a couple headsets so I can talk to my kid while we frag together.

Wondering what offers the better or easier experience: the newer USB connections, or the traditional 3.5mm connections?

Looking at Steelseries, which has headsets featuring both types of connections.

7 answers to this question

well it depends on how much u care about good sound. with a good sound card installed the traditional is better in quality

but the usbone is easier in using it. difference in sound isnt clearly hearable tho

i myself got a logitech usb headset. one of the first and still going good and the mic on it is excellent

IMO the connection type is rarely and issue. It really comes down to how the good the headset itself is. If it doesn't have built in nosie/feedback cancellation you're going to sound like an old-time staticy radio.

The advantage of USB over 3.5mm is that USB should not be getting cross-talk noise since its a purely digtal signal. Downside is that sometimes its hard to get the volume up high enough on USB mics if their the cheap kind. With the 3.5mm the OS can actually bost the volume fairly well on its own.

I actually use an Andrea USB NC-7100 which I used to use for voice dictation.

I'm very excited the game has integrated VOIP. In fact, I want to get a couple headsets so I can talk to my kid while we frag together.

Wondering what offers the better or easier experience: the newer USB connections, or the traditional 3.5mm connections?

Looking at Steelseries, which has headsets featuring both types of connections.

3.5mm ALL THE TIME. For gods sake, man, are you high? Is this even a question?

I work in IT, but it still doesn't take a genius to work this out.

Choice A: Easy to use, no drivers required, light, and compatible with every sound device under the sun, 3.5mm is god and you should bow down and give it a nice massage with happy ending.

Choice B: Requires drivers (plug and play or not, that's still HDD space), heavier and bulkier than 3.5mm, only compatible with computers and other devices with female USB ports, and will consume one of your precious USB slots which could actually be used for something useful. USB connectors are sucky and deserve bad things.