Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Procs Should Match Your First Mod Slot [Img]

notionphil

One easy solution for weapons that are true proc monsters(Shotguns whos total pellet status chance is > 100%, Tysis, and others that cap out over 100%) is to do what Multishot does.

Say you've got a Tysis, and are running optimal status infliction; Jolt, Pistol Pestilence, and the other status mods; This gives you ~115, maybe 120% proc chance. If you've got Blast and Corrosive on, then your shots will have a 100% chance to proc either, and a 15-20% chance to proc the other on the same shot.

An approximate maximum of 50% should be fair for single element builds. Hell, it could still be OP under the right circumstances (darn multi-shot mods screw over any chance of weapon balance in this game). But then again that would be a best case scenario for a handful of weapons so it'd be a good point to start testing and then buff/nerf from there IMO.

Multishot really hurts this game, including Status chance. It has zero trade off (besides mod slots) and honestly, I really think status chance should be per-trigger pull.

There's a ton of talk in this thread about DE's goal being weapon diversity, and that this will challenge weapon diversity. I love weapon/build/frame/loadout/etc diversity.

But right now we need to admit to ourselves that none of that exists in game.

Weapon diversity is not having access to 110 weapons, with only 8 being used by anyone who has them. We need to start looking at other ways to make weapons viable/attractive than simply making them "kill better".

Status is one such way, and I think that is why DE is releasing these status build mods. My goal is to make sure we can take utilize them in an entertaining, meaningful and balanced way.

Edited by notionphil

Multishot really hurts this game, including Status chance. It has zero trade off (besides mod slots) and honestly, I really think status chance should be per-trigger pull.

Yeah, I could probably go on about how unnecessary multi-shot is and how detrimental it is to weapon balance, and that it's in need of some kind of rework/tradeoff, but I don't want this thread to diverge off topic, so maybe another time.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

I've had the thought that multishot should 'split' the shots and when it occurs it cuts each bullet's damage down to 55%. On it's own multishot would boost DPS at best by approx 10% on Rifles/Shotguns and approx 50% on Pistols (taking up 2 mods slots as well). This DPS boost is therefore overshadowed by basic elemental  damage mods.

Each bullet would have it's own roll for status and crit, but because of the lowered base damage, Fire/Toxin/Electric/Gas procs would deal less damage. That, coupled with the high cost of multishot mods, means it'll be less of a staple in high damage builds, but very useful in CC builds.

Edited by Varzy

I'll be honest here,

The proc rate reduction seems like a bandaid fix to what was an ill-considered idea in the first place. You should maybe step back a bit and reconsider status as a whole, in relation to what Damage 2.0 brought to the table.

Let me explain a bit

The main principle of your idea is: We have no control over procs because the multiple amount of statuses a weapon can be equiped with.

We know it, a typical rainbow build can have up to 5 possible procs.

3 or 2 physical procs+2 elements

Or 1 base element+2 other elements (combined element weapons: Phage, Tysis, Detron, etc...)

That's what Damage 2.0 elemental mechanics require for max efficiency against a specific faction.

The fact that some elements are almost mandatory: radiation against grineer, corrosive against ancients, Magnetic/Toxin against Corpus.

So the choice of procs is already prevented at that point. Even if the proc is good (we've seen how much theoretical dps Fire, bleeds, toxic and gas add), the damage table keep them from being efficient. 

You could have a gas proccing Grakata (super fun yes), but it would still be only good against light infested. Even a dozen gas dots on a group of high level Grineer is gonna do pitiful damage compared to just blasting them with Radiation.

And on the opposite side of the spectrum, we have elemental weaknesses which proc brings nothing, or next to nothing.

The best example in this case is Corrosive. Great damage against ancients, but the proc plain useless against them.

Puncture is somehow in this case too. Damage affinity against armored enemies, harmless proc (we don't even know by how much their damage is reduced. 10%? 20? does it stack?)

And finally, you have elements which affinity AND proc at the same time are good against the faction you're supposed to use them on.

Magnetic on everything Corpus.

Toxin on Crewmen especially.

Those 2 make Corpus extremly easy to kill.

Gas on light Infested: extremly good since they tend to come at you in tight packs.

To a lesser extent Radiation, because whatever faction you use it on, the proc does the same. But it's actually deadlier when it affects heavy grineers, which is what the damage is inherently good against.

Oh, I almost forgot about viral, which theorically is good against every enemy in the game, since they all have health. But which damage is only good against low-armored grineers.

See what I mean? The issue you raise doesn't lie entirely in the randomness of procs. It also lies in their usefulness in relation to the damage table and enemy types per faction.

Who cares if they're random if they're all useful when they do proc?

Unless all you want to achieve is just abusing quasi-perma CC's, and getting the extra damage of  Procs while keeping Elemental weaknesses (like getting a Radiation AOE damage while proccing Electric, see example B)

Which is just broken, and against the very design of Damage 2.0. Again. 

Edited by Thelonious

I think Damage 3.0 needs to come, as said in the first page of the thread.

Along with that, Armor 2.0/3.0 as well as Resistances 2.0. They're still just horrid and ungodly contradictory. I shouldn't have to be punished for using an element/proc that is effective against one health bar, but not against a shield or armor bar. Less resistances, more weaknesses.

As for your system, I think it would greatly cut down on the diversity of the procs, as others have said. Maybe having that first element in the mod slot have a higher chance of appearing than other procs would be beneficial, but do not make it solely 100% mod slot proc. That could potentially be underpowered/overpowered depending on your choice of mods and enemy.

Who cares if they're random if they're all useful when they do proc?

Unless all you want to achieve is just abusing quasi-perma CC's, and getting the extra damage of  Procs while keeping Elemental weaknesses (like getting a Radiation AOE damage while proccing Electric, see example B)

Which is just broken, and against the very design of Damage 2.0. Again. 

I guess you don't really get what the goal of this proposal is. It's not to make our weapons more efficient, reduce TTK, increase DPS etc. It's to give players interesting alternates to the single per-faction build which arent' totally illogical (like using the 'wrong' element, which does nothing other than reduce your DPS, and adds nothing to gameplay).

The point is - its fun to create builds. It's fun for my Soma/Penta to be different than the other 3 guys in the mission with a Soma/Penta. It's fun to experiment, even if its slightly less effective, but opens up a different strategy.

So, the answer to your question is "I, and may other players care if its random - because random takes away a good deal of our fun". Yes, a gas Grakata will be less effective against many factions. But it's something I'd like to create, see the enemy interactions, build a moderately effective strategy around it - even with the 30% DPS loss and reduced status chance. I can't build a strategy when my attacks are random.

The argument that the current system is 'efficient' is fine - however this isn't my job. At work, I want efficient. Here, I want fun. I want viable choices which do something, anything interesting besides just boosting the DPS/TTK of my weapon.

And let's also be honest about this perma-CC you keep referring to. Anyone who has access to these builds also has a Soma, and probably a penta/ogris. Soma/Penta/Ogris kills everything in 95% of the game in less than 1 second. CCing it would be solely for fun. The other 5% of the game, wave 40+ endless defense is dominated by unstoppable 50 meter perma CC's, 50% slowed enemies, stacking damage auras and infinitely invulnerable teams. Let's stop pretending that a blast proc every few enemies is going to break the game.

Edited by notionphil

And let's also be honest about this perma-CC you keep referring to. Anyone who has access to these builds also has a Soma, and probably a penta/ogris. Soma/Penta/Ogris kills everything in 95% of the game in less than 1 second. CCing it would be solely for fun. The other 5% of the game, wave 40+ endless defense is dominated by unstoppable 50 meter perma CC's, 50% slowed enemies, stacking damage auras and infinitely invulnerable teams. Let's stop pretending that a blast proc every few enemies is going to break the game.

More than that, let's stop thinking that taking a Grakata into Wave 40+ Endless Defense and still retaining a level of effectiveness is a bad thing. The main mantra people argue for Warframe abilities is that they should scale and have utility. Isn't it valuable to consider how our weapons can retain utility even in high levels?

-snip-

Then get the appropriate weapon and do it! There are viable choices around statuses already. Just don't expect it to be "effective" on survival after 30 minutes. But you will have fun for half an hour.

You just have to shelve those Soma, Penta, Ogris for a while and look for a weapon that fits the status build you want.

I recently built a Dot Dread, Bleed+Fire: it works. Not that I'm gonna bring it in t3, but in mid-level missions, perfectly fine. I do get a few puncture/impact procs once in a while, not that much actually, but hey, not gonna complain, especially when you proc a headshot bleed.

Built Lanka too, got curious when I noticed the status chance (25%). Not disappointed. Slow for sure, but that's the price to pay.

Not a fan of Phage, but I know many appreciate it despite the mechanics.

I'm sure there are tooooons of under-appreciated weapons that can be very fun to use with the right build. And more will come for sure.

Looking forward to a Gas (Torid rework anyone?) and Cold elemental weapon.

Once again, if you're looking for being able to do that with any weapon, it's not in DE's favor: they sell weapons, not mods. 

More than that, let's stop thinking that taking a Grakata into Wave 40+ Endless Defense and still retaining a level of effectiveness is a bad thing. The main mantra people argue for Warframe abilities is that they should scale and have utility. Isn't it valuable to consider how our weapons can retain utility even in high levels?

I thought the main purpose of the recent grataka status buff was to make it more of an utility weapon, so that it could get a niche when compared to the other mainstream rifles...In that case, enemy level will never affect its usefulness. If not, I'm once again mistaken about DE's intentions, my bad.

And about abilities. That's the thing: what's the point of having utility abilities if weapons like soma can do the same while maintaining efficient damage? You're suppose to use everything in your arsenal to fight aren't you? Or is this game only a run-and-gun?

I mean, having a high chance of proccing blast is just like having your weapon firing mini-Pulls...

Having your weapon proc fire is just like Fireball...

Radiation/Mind Control

Viral/Venom

And all of those abilities that were reworked to have some utility even at higher levels...

You use them for the utility, then proceed to kill with your weapon. Complementarity. And sometimes you get a proc that helps a bit in the process.

Edited by Thelonious

Thelo, we shouldn't have to choose between being effective and having fun.

The debate with you is pretty pointless. You're opposed to the concept no matter the details. Either way thanks for the feedback and constructive critique bc you did help point some trade off/diversity issues out!

Edited by notionphil

I thought you didn't care about being effective...

And what is being effective anyway? lasting more than 40 minutes/waves in t3? Or just completing a mission throughout the rest of the game?

If it's the first one, we all know the game wasn't designed around that. So all you can do is put on your min/max cap and make the most optimal build you can, on your 5 forma Penta/Ogris/Soma. That's what Damage 2.0 is about: You need to specialize to be optimal, through elemental combinations. So yeah, not much choice.

That's where it sucks. Even if I know min/maxers had a great time at first, discovering what's the best build, and changing it every 2 weeks :p

(rumours has it Steve intends to make another iteration of the damage table...)

If it's the second one, pretty much anything will do fine as long as you have a high enough rank on your serration/multishot.

You might have troubles with some of the toughest enemies in the game, like grineer heavies and stuff, but it's almost like the game becomes challenging again...

Who would've thought?

I know you have good intents, build diversity and all...but status and procs are what they are atm for plenty of reasons, design concerns and overall balance, that I explained in details. I'm not saying they're perfect and everything. There are tweaks to be made.

But not like that. What you suggest goes against most of those reasons...Come on.

No, they are what they are for the same reason damage 1.0 was 1.0. They aren't done yet.

DE is obviously addressing status, if it were 'as intended' they wouldn't have decided to release 240% in increases. 90% of your arguments would have applied to nay-say that release too, but obviously it is happening.

To assume something, anything in WF is 'as intended' just because that's how it currently is, is folly. Clearly that's not apparent to you yet. Read the signs - Status 2.0 is coming in some way, shape or form.

If you can think of a better form, by all means post a thread. Either way, change will come.

Edited by notionphil

You mean, they just slap some concepts on a board, mix them up together randomly, and then release them, saying to themselves: "bah, we'll finish it later"? Jeez, your vision of DE is really really bad.

Yes, they do adress issues, but they're not gonna make a 2.0 every 2 other weeks, break everything and start over from nothing. Minor tweaks can be made, adjustments, based on the original intent.

They're not gonna intentionally waste all the time they spent into the original design. Even damage 2.0 retains elements of 1.0 after all.

And about those mods, think about it.

Only a small number of weapons released so far can really benefit from those mods. The average 10% weapon can only go so far as around 60% proc rate (with multishot and Hammershot).

Which is anyway mitigated by status diversity: those 4 mods apply 2 elements (so 30% chance per element after calculation), plus the eventual basic physical damage types already on the weapon (goes down to 15% when you have 2,  12% when you have 3)

It's nice, but it's not gonna change much on the average Boltor P. rainbow build.

However, it's gonna give us the opportunity to maximize single element weapons. Get the most out of one particular elemental weakness and the proc that goes with. But not one without the other.

You can chose to replace your normal elemental mods for those, lose a bit of elemental damage and gain proc chance in return. Balanced trade-off. 

Or just put both mods together, normal and dual stat, extreme specialization, extreme proc chance. At the expense of versatility. Balanced trade-off.

(Pure Viral phage, pure radiation Detron, etc, etc). I already explained how those weapons are counterbalanced proc-wise.

And it's gonna take months for DE to release them. Plenty of time to make adjustments on the system if they see unintended results (like reducing the base proc rate on some weapons that go overboard status-wise, or increasing it a bit on some weapons lacking in the department).

You just don't realize how well thought-out this system is.

Put something like your suggestion in the mix, and the whole system collapses on itself.

Edited by Thelonious

Put something like your suggestion in the mix, and the whole system collapses on itself.

So you're saying...

if a Boltor Prime procs radiation 3 of every 10 shots, instead of procs radiation OR viral 3 of every 10 shots, in addition to 3 bonus procs...the damage system is going to collapse.

Please tell me what this collapse will entail. In detail.

Ok, Collapse is a bit hyperbolic, I got carried away, my bad.

But you got what I meant: It's not worth the trouble jeopardizing a functional system, just because of the issue of lack of control over procs. 

What you want is legitimate, it's just that so much work would be needed to fit such a feature into the actual system, while maintaining the purpose of the design. 

- You've already reduced the proc chance by 50%.

- You also mentionned making procs not stackable on themselves.

What about an electricity proc? the damage is instant. You'd need to keep the eventual dps spikes in balance. Reduce the damage %?

What about corrosive who's supposed to be stacked? So just everything but Corrosive then? Or do we rework the proc? More armour reduction per proc? but what's the point of Tysis then?

What about Acrid who's main mechanics IS stacking dots?

What about Flux again? the Slash proc has been nerfed yes, but it still does stack bleeds sometimes. So not anymore? And neither do any Slash weapons then? So they get weaker? do we need to buff them? 

While on the subject of weapons, what about Shotguns? each pellet has a chance to proc, so what if 2 pellets are to proc? Only 1 gets the proc, with 1 pellet damage as base?

And what about CC's? How to insure mobs can't be kept in a chain of knockbacks. An internal cooldown? 

The list goes on and on...Basically you're gonna have the exact same issues the devs had when they designed the current status system.

Eventually you're gonna realize that you've changed most of the current system just to fit in your request.

When there are other means to alleviate the issue without so much work. 

And there are other more important related issues to be fixed in priority (like physical damage mods, basic status mods...)

Edited by Thelonious

Glad the game isn't going to fall apart!

Eventually you're gonna realize that you've changed most of the current system just to fit in your request.

As I stated before, all testing I've done (+ the wiki) indicate most procs already do NOT stack.

Mobs die too fast to get anything stacked/perma'd on them anyway, especially with 50% less status for single-procs. DE's already clearly stated they don't balance for endless, so don't go there.

Nothing needs to be done besides the status rate change when single-proccing. DE would implement, then tweak balance for outliers - as they currently do.

there are other means to alleviate [the lack of build diversity] without so much work. 

You have an easier way to alleviate the lack of build diversity? Great! Please share it!

Make sure its easier than not adding any new mods, not adding any UI, not adding any new animations and not adding any new models. Only modifying existing status code and proc code*

*I am a software dev (maybe you are as well) so let's please skip going back and forth about the difficulty of coding - this is barely a hotfix.

Edited by notionphil

Nothing needs to be done besides the status rate change when single-proccing. DE would implement, then tweak balance for outliers - as they currently do.

If it sounds so easy, why don't you give it a try? It seem like you're only suggesting a general idea and letting the Devs handle the eventual myriad of issues it could create. Nevermind, "this is barely a hotfix".

I only wrote about the "outliers" I first thought about. I'm pretty sure there would be dozens more of issues. 

After all, DE only took months for that, even after Damage 2.0 was released. And they're not done yet.

You have an easier way to alleviate the lack of build diversity? Great! Please share it!

You're putting words in my mouth I never said. I talked about proc randomness, not build diversity.

But yes, there are "easy [to code]" fixes for that:

- Reworking the damage table. Having more choice among elemental weaknesses and resistances. 

- Reworking Physical mods so that Pure physical Damage builds remain a viable choice compared to Elemental builds. Could be put in relation with the damage table. 

As for easy to design and balance, not so much. 

Cause that's what we're talking about, right? Designing, in relation to existing sytems in place, and not coding. 

Edited by Thelonious

You're putting words in my mouth I never said. I talked about proc randomness, not build diversity.

But yes, there are "easy [to code]" fixes for that:

- Reworking the damage table. Having more choice among elemental weaknesses and resistances.

- Reworking Physical mods so that Pure physical Damage builds remain a viable choice compared to Elemental builds. Could be put in relation with the damage table. 

The core problem I'm trying to address is the utter lack of weapon build diversity; proc randomness is just a vessel. Reducing randomness without increasing build diversity is pointless.

The other two systems you mentioned are potential pathways to address build diversity as well - however, you didn't propose anything, you just listed problems.

Do you have designs/proposals to address build diversity? Listing a problem != offering a solution.

PS - everything new in the game requires balance. That's not a reason to not add new things.

EDIT - I missed that you asked me to take a stab at ideal proc balance

These wouldn't be necessary as a starting point, but I'd love to eventually see something like this. Without it, we'd have several viable procs and several not (kinda like everything else in game :P )

A First Draft of Balanced Procs

Slash: deals 10 damage over 3 seconds, target cannot be affected by slash for following 7 seconds.

-frontloaded big DPS boost, which evens out to 10% over proc length

Impact: deals 2 damage, .5 second stagger, has a 10%+[20% of STATUS] chance to permanently disarm. Cannot be staggered again for 1.5 seconds.

-20% damage boost, small stun, moderate chance to disarm, forcing target into melee

Puncture:  target deals 30% + [30% of STATUS] reduced damage for 10 seconds, cannot use special abilities while punctured.

-blocks abilities, consistent chance to reduce damage, but not stop it outright

Heat: deals 10 damage over 10 seconds. Enemy has a 25%+ [25% of STATUS] chance of a 1 second heat-panic each tick

-mild DoT boost during proc with intermittent chance of stun

Elec: deals 2 damage in a 2 + [4% of STATUS] Meter AoE. Stuns all affected targets for 1 second - immune to elec stun for next 5 seconds. Has a 20% + [20% of STATUS] chance to jump to other targets within 5M, and chain from there.

-Low damage AoE with 'single-use' stun and chance to spread

Cold: slows targets by 30% + 10% per addl proc, stacks to a maximum of 90%. Lasts 5 seconds from last application.

-reduces offense and makes enemy an easy target, stacks for addl effect

Toxic: deals 2 damage per second until enemy gets to 1HP, will not kill. Has a [25% of STATUS] chance per tick to deal to other enemies within 1M

-will reduce any enemy to near death, over time. slight chance of contagion, will never kill.

Corrosive: increases damage done to target by 30% + 10% per addl proc, stacks to a maximum of 90%. Permanent.

-makes target take more damage from all sources, effect builds with each proc.

Viral: reduces target's maximum Health by 20% + [30% of STATUS] for 5 seconds. Any health removed by proc will return at end of duration. Does not stack, but will be extended by re-application.

-health reduction that scales with Status, and needs to be taken advantage of quickly.

Gas: deals 10 damage over 10 seconds to every target in a 5 + [4% of STATUS] Meter cloud. Targets can only be damaged by one gas cloud at a time.

-Low damage AoE that lingers in an area

Radiation:

-Need to work on this one still :)

Blast: deals 3 damage in a 2 + [2% of STATUS] Meter AoE. Has a 20%+[10% of STATUS] chance of knocking targets over, but pushes knocked down targets out of area.

-Has a moderate chance to repeatedly stun, if a target is tracked

Edited by notionphil

Feedback from Thelonious - With the introduction of single proc builds, it would be important for the same procs to not stack infinitely with itself, and instead over-write itself. Otherwise we'd end up with 10 bleed DoT's on the same target. I'll leave the numbers out of this one, and suffice it to say that it would need review.

Feedback from Thelonious and Solaris11 - It's important that elemental weapons retain an advantage at their specific proc, over normal weapons using a 'single-proc' build. There should also be more tradeoffs for the single proc. This led to the edit below.

**Edit - I added the 50% proc chance in single-proc mode to introduce a tradeoff, remove accessibility of chain proc and most importantly keep the distinct advantage of elemental weapons.

When concerning bleed dots, they should totally stack(But with diminishing returns), and fall off as Bleeds do in GW2. You can have up to X stacks of Bleed procs applied, but each one has its own separate timer; That way, you aren't doing Rolling Chains (See: DoT Photographing in WoW) to keep the numbers at max, or worse...Always rising higher.

The core problem I'm trying to address is the utter lack of weapon build diversity; proc randomness is just a vessel. Reducing randomness without increasing build diversity is pointless.

Which your idea adresses poorly anyway.

All it's gonna do is

Example A: letting you chose your single-element proc, useless in most cases because of elemental resistances. There's only 1 or 2 per faction.

And already covered by single-element weapons.

Example B: letting you get the benefits of procs (here aoe damage and stun) while keeping the benefit of Elemental weaknesses. Which is plain broken, 50% less proc chance or not.

Example C: Letting you get the full benefit of a single elemental weapon while equiping multiple elements. The 50% proc rate reduction mitigates the issue, but there you can wonder what's the point of the idea, when a single elemental weapon like Detron will do exactly the same. Oh right, no need to get the Detron (That's one less reason to farm it i'll admit)

And it's enough for the weapon to have a base proc chance >20% for the Detron to even become slightly worse.

Example D: Letting you perma-CC your enemy. As if 50% proc chance reduction would make a difference with a high fire rate weapon. And that's a no-no in DE's book.

So? what did you want to achieve already?

You know, thinking about it, it really WOULD be awesome to kill everything with bleed procs via my tysis.

Would make the game so much easier.

Heat proc deals more damage than bleed (50% vs 35% per tick).

This single-proc system would cap at a 50% heat proc Tysis, because it reduces your status by half (and 100% is max)

Hate to break it to you, you can already built a much stronger Tysis right now; 50% heat proc with a bonus 50% corrosive proc. 

(100% total proc chance, 1/2 chance of heat/corrosive)

They first need to Fix the Status Proc itself.

As it is, A pure Corrosive Tysis with 100% Status, does NOT proc corrosive(or anything for that matter) every shot, As it SHOULD be doing.

Does anyone have any information on this? I have been noticing the same in my testing - things proc far less than their numbers seem to indicate they should.

@notionphil

Have you been host or client when testing?

I've only tested it single player or when hosting in a group, but a 100% proc chance corrosive tysis with 150% multishot has procced corrosive for every single shot. I see the corrosive icon pop up next to all damage numbers and the corrosive effect plays over the enemies every time. Out of 210 trigger pulls each one procced corrosive 2 to 3 times.

Heat proc deals more damage than bleed (50% vs 35% per tick).

This single-proc system would cap at a 50% heat proc Tysis, because it reduces your status by half (and 100% is max)

Hate to break it to you, you can already built a much stronger Tysis right now; 50% heat proc with a bonus 50% corrosive proc.

(100% total proc chance, 1/2 chance of heat/corrosive)

Bleed always ignores shields. Could kill any enemy by just blasting them with the bleed tysis, regardless of their various armors and invincibilities.

Still not sure why you think making all builds do the same thing would encourage diversity(or how "they all do the same thing" is considered "diversity"), but being able to ignore game mechanics that way would be pretty amusing.