Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I'm Done With Broken Lights(Long Post/rant/opinion Of Endgame Player)

Double_DeluXe

(I hardly post here unless I feel like it needs attention, bear with me)

"That's not a hazard, that's a trap waiting to be sprung."

Broken lights...what an addition to the game aren't they?
Make people pay attention to the environment and stuff...
Except...that's kinda hard when you have an army of lvl 45 Infested ancients running after you.
In times like that you don't have the "time" to look carefully for a broken light that's about to zap your &#! into oblivion.

Let me give you an example, I did an Infested survival mission today. I did it solo, to not be an A****** for people who don't have 40 minutes. I worked HARD to survive that long, died twice to energy problems and twice to my own Ogris because I'm an idiot.
Here comes the beautiful part:
40 minutes just passed!(Spare parts yay)
Extraction room was in sight!
I had full shields and half health, just this one corner an...

I died.

I died to a broken light that zapped me when I passed through a door.
I've died to a broken light before but never in such a situation.
The feeling I got at that moment was pure confusion, it was like I got dragged out of my car, robbed, raped, my car set on fire and then my bank account emptied only to get a call from my boss that I'm fired.

Then it all came down to 1 word..."why?"

I can solo ODD till wave 80, I actually stopped there out of boredom.
No boss can stand before me for longer than a few seconds.(with the exception of multi-stage bosses)
Most of my weapons have been forma'd.
Yet...these...broken lights...are too much.

Why?

It's just unfair.
There is almost never anything you can do about it!
- When you get stunned by an ancient, it's because you didn't pay attention.
- When you take 5 miter shots to the face and bleed to death it's because you didn't dodge them.

But when you die to a broken light? It's because you were the first unlucky bastard to walk that hallway.
You simply CANNOT punish players for not having X-ray vision.
If it's a turret or a camera like to corpus have, a fire on the ground because some barrels exploded or ice because the heater is broken then I fully understand, those are genuine environmental hazards.
But a hidden "broken light" that kills you the moment you get to close?
That's not a hazard, that's a trap waiting to be sprung.

The only reason I died at the end of that mission was because:

I simply didn't have enough health to be allowed to pass alive so I died, end of story
Nothing to see, no time to notice, nothing to dodge, you're dead, sorry you should have developed X-ray vision silly Tenno, hahaha F*** you.

Players need time, a chance, to react to an environmental hazard, every other hazard does that, except this one.

I took 2 hours to cool down before writing this but I'm still angry.

I really hope someone will take note of this, because currently it's not adding anything to the game, it's subtracting something from the game.

It's subtracting 'fun'.

• Double

Reddit link:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/20e70f/im_done_with_broken_lightslong_postrantopinion_of/

(I hardly post here unless I feel like it needs attention, bear with me)

"That's not a hazard, that's a trap waiting to be sprung."

Broken lights...what an addition to the game aren't they?

Make people pay attention to the environment and stuff...

Except...that's kinda hard when you have an army of lvl 45 Infested ancients running after you.

In times like that you don't have the "time" to look carefully for a broken light that's about to zap your &#! into oblivion.

Let me give you an example, I did an Infested survival mission today. I did it solo, to not be an A****** for people who don't have 40 minutes. I worked HARD to survive that long, died twice to energy problems and twice to my own Ogris because I'm an idiot.

Here comes the beautiful part:

40 minutes just passed!(Spare parts yay)

Extraction room was in sight!

I had full shields and half health, just this one corner an...

I died.

I died to a broken light that zapped me when I passed through a door.

I've died to a broken light before but never in such a situation.

The feeling I got at that moment was pure confusion, it was like I got dragged out of my car, robbed, raped, my car set on fire and then my bank account emptied only to get a call from my boss that I'm fired.

Then it all came down to 1 word..."why?"

I can solo ODD till wave 80, I actually stopped there out of boredom.

No boss can stand before me for longer than a few seconds.(with the exception of multi-stage bosses)

Most of my weapons have been forma'd.

Yet...these...broken lights...are too much.

Why?

It's just unfair.

There is almost never anything you can do about it!

- When you get stunned by an ancient, it's because you didn't pay attention.

- When you take 5 miter shots to the face and bleed to death it's because you didn't dodge them.

But when you die to a broken light? It's because you were the first unlucky bastard to walk that hallway.

You simply CANNOT punish players for not having X-ray vision.

If it's a turret or a camera like to corpus have, a fire on the ground because some barrels exploded or ice because the heater is broken then I fully understand, those are genuine environmental hazards.

But a hidden "broken light" that kills you the moment you get to close?

That's not a hazard, that's a trap waiting to be sprung.

The only reason I died at the end of that mission was because:

I simply didn't have enough health to be allowed to pass alive so I died, end of story

Nothing to see, no time to notice, nothing to dodge, you're dead, sorry you should have developed X-ray vision silly Tenno, hahaha F*** you.

Players need time, a chance, to react to an environmental hazard, every other hazard does that, except this one.

I took 2 hours to cool down before writing this but I'm still angry.

I really hope someone will take note of this, because currently it's not adding anything to the game, it's subtracting something from the game.

It's subtracting 'fun'.

• Double

Reddit link:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/20e70f/im_done_with_broken_lightslong_postrantopinion_of/

I support your view even after the broken light nerf. Still super OP wiring.

Edited by GraalOhOtonami

Totally agree.

The single line of code they changed in 12.4.5 to half the damage was a cheap and dirty band-aid.

The range on the lights need to be lowered so observant players can pass safely at a distance.

The location of these has to be changed so they are in centers of rooms and more visible.  Hiding them between pipes on the ceiling, who installs a light fixture where almost non of the light from it can even reach the floor?

DE has done a great disservice to its long standing, losing patience player base.

Totally agree.

The single line of code they changed in 12.4.5 to half the damage was a cheap and dirty band-aid.

The range on the lights need to be lowered so observant players can pass safely at a distance.

The location of these has to be changed so they are in centers of rooms and more visible.  Hiding them between pipes on the ceiling, who installs a light fixture where almost non of the light from it can even reach the floor?

DE has done a great disservice to its long standing, losing patience player base.

It would also help if there were some kind of sound or signpost. Or even better, a way to imbue weapons with temporary elemental buffs if we're blocking while hit by it.

Also helps if they're actually broken lights: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/195537-this-broken-light-problem-is-getting-a-bit-out-of-hand/

I totally, unequivocally agree.

I'm pretty known for siding with DE mainly because I don't enjoy jumping on bandwagons. But when it comes to these broken lights, I will happily campaign against this decision until it's either balanced to where they aren't instant death traps that are literally unavoidable in many areas, or are just straight up removed from this game entirely.

DE, do you want to give Grineer more interesting environmental hazards that slow down rushers? Go right ahead - I'm all for hazards that keep you on your toes. But these broken lights only make people not want to do missions within that tileset at all. They seriously, truly cannot be avoided in many of the hallways and doorways. And now, though not as heavily punishing in lower ranked missions, they are incredibly so in higher ranked ones - the OP's surprisingly levelheaded rant being proof of this.

Oh and I just thought of a great suggestion for them.

Make the lights shock -ANYTHING- under them at set intervals. Perhaps every five seconds, they do a cone-shaped shock aoe directly under them. And let's make the lights actually LOOK broken, perhaps? Instead of just little puny sparks you barely notice, have the lights look busted open with long wires dangling from them down to the floor. Not only would that tell both newbie and veteran alike to be wary of that spot, it'll also fix the problem with broken lights being hidden behind doorways and low ceilings. And, with the shocks actually being set intervals (with TELLS...perhaps sparks growing brighter and stronger right before the actual shock aoe), you can have them placed anywhere on the map because players will be able to see them and use actual thought and skill to avoid/dodge them.

Yeah, I was trying to do an infested survival with a fairly lowbie nova on her 2nd forma. Lights killed me 3 times.

I'm starting to get the impression that DE doesn't play their own game. It's not even close to fun, more a chore that has to be suffered through.

I already dislike corpus maps, but grineer are just straight up frustrating at the moment. I was already almost a purely void/derlict player, and this is only exasterbating the situation.

There are only so many of the same missions I can do in a row before I start looking for another game.

edit: the survival was a grineer infestation if that wasn't clear.

Edited by RedWood0

Yeah, I was trying to do an infested survival with a fairly lowbie nova on her 2nd forma. Lights killed me 3 times.

I'm starting to get the impression that DE doesn't play their own game. It's not even close to fun, more a chore that has to be suffered through.

I already dislike corpus maps, but grineer are just straight up frustrating at the moment. I was already almost a purely void/derlict player, and this is only exasterbating the situation.

There are only so many of the same missions I can do in a row before I start looking for another game.

This. I don't want to deal with stupid. I'm only in Void, Derelict and even Corpus now, because at least you know lasers are on doors and not poping randomly on your head. This is the word : RANDOM. Again. Another layer of random in this game. Yeah, DE, way to hear your player base. Or do we all have to only play Rhino ?

Edited by Hyunsai

i would rahter remoce the grustrag bolt every mission than run galleons atm.....

(never had bolt but ive seen cost of it and id rather pay that per mission for the grineer to buck there maintenance into doign there damn job and fixign dodgy lights)

I walked in to a wall with piping running along the side near the floor.
Behind the piping was about 4 or 5 trap lights all down it! Somehow wedged in the slight crevice. 
I had projectile weapons only and they kept getting stuck on the pipes. Literally, I couldn't damage the lights, even though I knew they were there. 

I had to tank my way through them, there was literally no choice, not even blindsided, just forced to walk through a hallway of pain. I felt like Snake crawling through that microwave tunnel. 

I hate the broken lights, the idea was stupid to implement this. Broken lights shouldn't even shock because they are broken.. how stupid!

They are too common, it would be enough if there would be 1-2 but almost all rooms have that.

I think it would be better if there would be some "Grineer Sentries" that shoot with either bullets or fire.

What will be the next hazard? shocking walls? Oil that can be set on fire? Firewalls?

-broken lights hater

When i think about it, it makes no sense. Broken lights zapping you out of nowhere because reasons?
I mean, for example, the only one who actually has the ability to break lights and electronics and zap people with them is supposed to be Volt, and hell, it's even his ultimate what does that, there's no other way he can do it.
but oh just a malfuncioning light can @(*()$ zap you to death because logic, and YES, LOGIC, BANSHEE CAN BREAK LIGHTS TOO SO WHY CAN'T SHE ZAP PEOPLE WITH THEM.

DE has used logic as motives for others things before, like the Brakk nerf because pellets and damage falloff and it's a shotgun bla bla yadda yadda. SO OBVIOUSLY, AS SOON AS YOU GET CLOSE TO A BROKEN LIGHT YOU @(*()$ DIE. BECAUSE IT'S JUST LOGIC
Next patch: Internal organ damage and colds!

I think i got a little too angry, sorry for yelling. i needed to get that out.

Edited by Hecadisth

They are not fair

They are not interesting

They are not cool

They add nothing to gameplay

An obnoxious flash in your face at best and a random insta-kill at worst.

Broken lights are a failure at every level. DE, please go get a paper towel, pick up the turd of an idea that you left in the living room, and put it in the toilet. No. Stop. Don't put a tiny cushion on it and try to convince us it's fruniture, it's a turd. No amount of dressing up or tweaking will make your idea any less of a turd. Just pick it up and throw it out.

I agree. Broken lights have to be completely removed from the game. There are several issues with them. 

> They make no sense in the game world.  Are they a trap or a hazard? If they're a trap, what the hell were the Grineer thinking when they designed an EMP gun disguised as a lamp? Did they do that on purpose? How many times does that thing even trigger throughout regular ship maintenance? Wouldn't it be easier to just, you know, place a mine or a turret that only activates after alarms have been sounded off? And if they're a hazard, what kind of god-damn lamps are these that when broken, lash out lethal jolts of electricity at random people? I know that the Grineer engineers are nuts, but their lamps are stronger than their weapons - that's true, some of them hurt as bad as a direct hit from a Bombard rocket! Shouldn't the grineer just use lamp grenades instead, if they're so powerful? IT MAKES NO SENSE

> Their mechanics are simply not fun or fitting to this game. If the idea was to make players more careful and disencourage fast-paced gameplay, why are the maps packed with enemies and why can we sprint and parkour? How am i supposed to stop and watch the room for broken lightbulbs (??) when there's, you know, A WHOLE GODDAMN ARMY OF ANGRY GRINEER AROUND ME in a 40 minutes survival? I'm not a lightbulb fixer, i'm a space-ninja goddammit! The gameplay is supposed to be fast-paced and thrilling - why punish players for playing the way the game was intended? 

> They are nearly unavoidable, thus not fun. Good traps always have good hints and ways to dodge. Broken Lights are so hard to spot (and sometimes hard to hit, depending on your weapon) that players hardly can be blamed for getting hit.  When you're chasing a capture target in a Nightmare mission, you sincerely don't have time to watch your step, you're chasing a dangerous space criminal. Certainly if there's a Heavy Gunner around, any smart Tenno will avoid going by her to prevent getting knocked down - if there's a shield lancer, i should jump over him.  Oh, a Corpus Tech? Maybe i should airkick him and keep on with the chase.  All of those are very dangerous hazards but a smart player can avoid them by, you know, being a good player. But the Broken Lights do not give you this chance - they are nearly unavoidable, and punish you for, well. For playing Warframe?

All of these three points make the Broken Lights not fun at all. Look at the Void's traps - laser beams, shockwave death orbs... They're fun because you know how they're triggered (pressure plates) and you know how they behave - even if you triggered them, you can still avoid them by dodging. They are fun and a good addition. The Broken Lights are not fun. Warframe is a game, and players are supposed to have fun.  Look at the post from the OP, do you think he had fun? I don't think so. DE, please, please, for the love of Lotus remove them. The community is giving you feedback, please listen. 

Conclusion: Broken Lights are not fun. They're a deadly nuisance that punishes people for playing the game. It won't make them play carefully (because the gameplay normally doesn't allow that).  It will make them leave the damn game instead.

They most certainly are an absolute annoyance. Was playing a Trinity earlier today, host migrated, and I died before I could even get out of the black loading screen because I was simultaneously zapped by at least 3 cleverly hidden broken lights. I spawned dead, that's not challenging at all, it's just the game's decision to kill me.