The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scoliacoptering, Zorencoptering, Coptering...

CapnFusterCluck

I love it when people get upset over something like this.

I don't think anyone is getting upset. We are merely offering our opinions on how and why it should stay. 

I just think that it should be removed outright. If it's a weapon, it should be one, not a way to rush things. 

I don't think anyone is getting upset. We are merely offering our opinions on how and why it should stay. 

I just think that it should be removed outright. If it's a weapon, it should be one, not a way to rush things. 

Exactly this.  If they want to make it a mod, great.  But I mean the physics defying sling shot is just silly.

If we want parkour 2.0 : coptering will have to go altogether....it would and already is breaking the purpose of parkour.

It's merely a placeholder for more advanced stuff we'll get in the future ( I hope)

Or, you know, they could do the obvious thing and simply work slide dashing into its own role in the parkour toolset. It doesn't take much imagination to think up a list of reasons why it'd be useful to have a dash move available in a free movement system. If it became a normal gameplay tool DE could even work its use into the Tilesets.

Or, you know, they could do the obvious thing and simply work slide dashing into its own role in the parkour toolset. It doesn't take much imagination to think up a list of reasons why it'd be useful to have a dash move available in a free movement system. If it became a normal gameplay tool DE could even work its use into the Tilesets.

I agree with you on this I don't think however that a dash move should be endlessly chainable to the point where there is no reason to use anything else.  Which is what we are seeing right now with coptering.  We briefly saw somethign to this effect with the major stamina overhaul and it's affect on the ability to copter was pretty damn great (limiting it severely but it still being possible) however the other effects were really bad, like needing to walk all the damn time and being unable to wallrun because of stamina drain.

The parkour toolset needs work and a dash should be included, and movement should reward skill, but I don't think that that dash should be linked directly to something like the slide attack and I don't believe it should be chainable as it is now.

What do you mean by "coptering"?

The way you can sling yourself accross the map with one slide due to the high attack speed of the melee weapon?

Anyway, slide melee itself won't be removed, since we already saw some Melee 2.0 footage of it.

What do you mean by "coptering"?

The way you can sling yourself accross the map with one slide due to the high attack speed of the melee weapon?

Anyway, slide melee itself won't be removed, since we already saw some Melee 2.0 footage of it.

Basically the problem is with the large speed boost by the slide attack, which is what should be removed/reduced.  The slide attack will and should remain but as an attack not a mobility aid.

Edited by Agent_of_Change

This. 

It's breaking the purpose of parkour. Why wall-run across when you have Zorens? amirite?

Yes and no.

It is a way around some parkour options. But parkour is needlessly finicky, success has alot to do with run speed, and two frames can't do the same parkour at the same time.... In a game where selfish players abound.

Coptering is a work around, one that gets badly abused by frames that don't need it.

To say it's not needed asserts everyone is on an equal playing field movement speed wise, which we know to not be the case.

I agree with you on this I don't think however that a dash move should be endlessly chainable to the point where there is no reason to use anything else.  Which is what we are seeing right now with coptering.  We briefly saw somethign to this effect with the major stamina overhaul and it's affect on the ability to copter was pretty damn great (limiting it severely but it still being possible) however the other effects were really bad, like needing to walk all the damn time and being unable to wallrun because of stamina drain.

The parkour toolset needs work and a dash should be included, and movement should reward skill, but I don't think that that dash should be linked directly to something like the slide attack and I don't believe it should be chainable as it is now.

Why not? Having a 'Dash button' would be pointless. As it works currently (using a slide attack midair) is perfectly acceptable. 

In regards to all the crap about Stamina costs and such. That is easy to fix if DE is actually willing to commit and give it a real role in the game.

Why not? Having a 'Dash button' would be pointless. As it works currently (using a slide attack midair) is perfectly acceptable. 

In regards to all the crap about Stamina costs and such. That is easy to fix if DE is actually willing to commit and give it a real role in the game.

My personal solution to the "dash" would be to give a brief speed boost to any parkour maneuver to encourage parkour and non linear movement.

remove the slide attack speed boost but say every time you wall run or flip off a wall, or hop a waste high obstacle you get a "dash".  It fits more into a movement paradigm rather than an attack paradigm.  

As for Stamina I'm inclined to agree stamina being treated seriously and having a real place and role would be nice and solve some issues.  right now it just kinda stands as teh "bar of random temporary inconvenience" with no real additive value to the game.

I would be extremely unhappy. Coptering is an important part of aerial control. Coptering and other slide/momentum techniques are important aspects of the skill-cap of this game much like rocket-jumping, bunnyhopping, and concussion grenade skimming in Team Fortress Classic.  If they nerf their movement physics too heavily then the game will feel stiff and unresponsive like more primitive shooters and mmos.

I would be extremely unhappy. Coptering is an important part of aerial control. Coptering and other slide/momentum techniques are important aspects of the skill-cap of this game much like rocket-jumping, bunnyhopping, and concussion grenade skimming in Team Fortress Classic.  If they nerf their movement physics too heavily then the game will feel stiff and unresponsive like more primitive shooters and mmos.

No one is suggesting removing the slide attack (or the aerial slide attack) just the ludicrous speed boost that you get from some weapons.

I'd want them to nerf sliding suddenly increasing your speed right along with it.

Seeing someone spam crouch while sprinting to magically slide past you as if jet propelled is just as bad as coptering, in my opinion.

I'd also like sprinting to be a bit more of a curve, though. That is, you press sprint and you move faster...keep sprinting, uninterrupted, and your speed gradually increases to a full, faster sprint. Nobody goes from 0 to 60 in a half second. They build up to a full sprint.

For the sake of ease, we'll call it "Half sprint" and "Full Sprint."

Half Sprint would be what we have now. A moderate speed increase from Zero sprint. I think we should be able to blind fire (No aiming) guns while sprinting. Reduced accuracy. Also, using certain melee weapons while half-sprinting would be nice too.

A full sprint would occur when you do NOT shoot / melee while half sprinting. If you Melee / shoot / take enough damage while full sprinting, you'd go back down to half-sprint. From half-sprint to Full-sprint should take about 2-3 seconds. (An alternate sprinting animation could be used when full-sprinting, or maybe something equivalent to Volt's speed, but not that nauseating.)

That way, we can get rid of these very glitchy / awkward speed increases that make absolutely no sense, while in return, gaining a speed increase in the form of Full-sprint. Also, tweaking the vault animations so they don't slow you down would be nice. And this little roll that happens after you land? If I land from a roll while sprinting, I'd like to retain some momentum.

People refer to Warframe as a game about Ninjas in space, so we should have more ninja-like maneuverability, and not coptering / Hyper-sliding. Have you ever seen someone hyperslide? It's the goofiest thing in the world.