Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Taking Cover

Xenogear

If I ever see a sticky cover system I hope it's only for stealth purposes. As it is the only time it makes sense to me. No on shooting though, I can run / slice / shoot using most cover already except when the pesky infinite spawns decide they want to spawn behind me and rockets...only thing I can never notice a telegraph for...that's a seperate issue though...

Note:IF they reintroduce this I hope it's a toggle otherwise I am going to be one sad space ninja

Stealth ... Mission maby?! https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/19618-assassination-missions-stealth-required/ lol

Have the devs ev

Have the devs ever thought of it being a toggle option for people who enjoy that type of gameplay?

In other words, you toggle it on in your options menu, you have an option ingame to sticky to cover, toggle it off, you no longer have that option.

I honestly just think it adds to the variety of the way you can play the game. Having diversity is great!

The gameplay movement is fluid and fast pace. I do not see the relation between the too.

Covered behind a wall, while group of buddies already rushed ahead and slaughter them all while stucked behind a wall/pillar and need to catch up with them.

No, just no.

Stealth missions...possibly. *Edit*

Edited by M4sterofp4in

The gameplay movement is fluid and fast pace. I do not see the relation between the too.

Covered behind a wall, while group of buddies already rushed ahead and slaughter them all while stucked behind a wall/pillar and need to catch up with them.

No, just no.

Stealth missions...possibly. *Edit*

So what about the snipers? theres times when I would love to just sit back with my snipetron undercover while NOT getting hit because i got my back against the cover, popping out and headshotting some baddies, while my buddies ahead of me are tearing everything up with run n gun style.

So what about the snipers? theres times when I would love to just sit back with my snipetron undercover while NOT getting hit because i got my back against the cover, popping out and headshotting some baddies, while my buddies ahead of me are tearing everything up with run n gun style.

To be honest, players have all the right to go and use cover. DE and community not going stop them. There crates, walls, pillars can be used for covers. It just matter of player's choices. I don't use cover but when I'm forced into retreat I WILL use cover to regain shield back up.

There cover in places, if you like using cover, go ahead and do it.

Also, you can change the camera to view your character on either side. Left or Right.

Have the devs ev

Have the devs ever thought of it being a toggle option for people who enjoy that type of gameplay?

In other words, you toggle it on in your options menu, you have an option ingame to sticky to cover, toggle it off, you no longer have that option.

I honestly just think it adds to the variety of the way you can play the game. Having diversity is great!

Sticky system as a toggle leads to two possibilities:

It is either redundant and purely cosmetic. You cannot pop out of cover automatically (one of the key features of the cover system) because that is a gameplay change. This probably will not satisfy the players that want said system. It is also redundant. You can already do that (as in take cover behind stuff) as it is. Redundancy is bad design.

It changes the gameplay mechanics that are in opposition to each other. Cover system users have a significant advantage over the ones that do not use it, or the other way around, depending on implementation. Trying to balance conflicting mechanics leads to medicore effects on both sides. Gameplay suffers as a result. Gameplay is the key element of uh... Video Games. Again, lack of focus on key aspects of a game (that unfortunately exclude others) is bad design.

In short, cannot have one without it being obviously superior to the other. Excelling in one is way, way better then being average in both, especially since "average" has been the plague of Video Games for years now.

Simple. Scope in while behind an obstacle and edge past the corner, shoot, return to cover. Or uncrouch, scope in, pop a shot, crouch.Carried that over from Global Agenda/Halo.

As for issues where the enemy shoot you and rolling just isn't enough, running in one direction is a bad idea. Zig zagging on the other hand, does the job well enough that you can get close, melee, get out, and all that with the low price of no shield/health mods.

If a sticky cover system is implemented, and preferably toggle mode, I foresee a lot more roller complaints. A lot more.

Edited by Cakes

I'm fine with a cover system existing or not.

---

Visualizing the cover system for Warframe that doesn't interfere with mobility: It's probably going to focus on the crouch key and walking; since I use it to 'sneak' around or take cover. If I'm not crouching, I'm running all over the place!

Cover Combos

Crouch + Walk > Chest High Wall = Take cover behind chest high wall, possibly aiming over it.

Walk > Wall + Crouch = Stick back to wall, aim around corners if applicable.

All cover combos unstick by movement keys, movement combos, or uncrouching.

So it'll be like the wall walk combos as opposed to a sticky cover system; is this way still breakable?

Edited by DSMK2

Just allow us to switch from left to right shoulder cam and vice versa. This helps if you are behind a right edge of a door/cover/wall

H key allows this now.. Kinda hard to execute sometimes during battle and it really messes with you if you get stuck in the wrong one when you come out of cover.

All too often i miss shots because i am taking cover and popping out to fire. "I" have the crosshair directly over an enemies head, however, due to the angle of the shot because this is a 3rd person shooter, my Tenno fires the shot into the corner of the wall im taking cover behind. You have to walk out of cover a deceptively far distance to not fire into the wall. It happens often enough to be annoying.

You need either a first person aim mode or a cover system to get rid of that. I agree if it was too sticky then it would get in the way. But, you arent always running and gunning and charging and slicing. Sometimes you are just sitting back taking cover, popping out every now and then to take a shot.

Though tbh id prefer a fps aim mode. It would remove other problems like missing point blank shots on those damn balls and your own head getting in the way all the time.

The problem is the dynamic of the game, i take cover quite a bit, when i'm reloading for instance, or when i run into a huge pack, or when i need shields to recover. As it stands now, there is not reason NOT to take cover when doing that, and so we end up not doing what the devs want us too, act like ninjas.

you could infact add a timer to the game, so we end up running over things so we can press on. OR... make it so that reinforcements come from behind, and force us to press on in a constant dynamic play as we push for the objective.

I surelly hope they won't add a cover based system to it. It is for the most part the reason why I hate 3rd person shooters and as such the reason why this game is fun for me. The day cover based mechanics are implemented in this game is the day I'll uninstall it without a moment's thought.

Seriously? Didn't know this button existed...

Yup H key switches shoulders. It's not even mapped on the controller :}. I had to joy2key set it up where you hold the trigger and press X to switch shoulders. Works awesome.

I think improving cover would be a great idea.

It may be hard, but I think the game with a great cover system as reference would be Mass Effect.

The moment you walk up to a wall or object, you automatically move into a cover mode.

It would implement alittle more skill based systems into the game as well (rather than the current run dash and slash)

If I simply want to do a run and gun and run through the levels and unfortunatly go into cover or whatever because the cover system is made like "if you go close to it, you go into cover" this simply stops the game flow.... If the cover actually would be good, ok, but i dont want to be interfered with in my playstyle ^^

Something like ME3MP's right hand advantage, without the horrendous sticky cover?

We can parry bullets but its not that great xD.

But having a cover system will make the game like Max Payne 3 or... (Its the ony 3rd person shooter I can think about that is similar with warframe).

In short the game will have slow combat, and maybe a reason to not use melee.

It may be hard, but I think the game with a great cover system as reference would be Mass Effect.

The moment you walk up to a wall or object, you automatically move into a cover mode.

Most horrendous cover system ever. You want to run? Too bad, you got too close to a wall or object, so now you're in cover ...

Lol true...

But having a proper cover system and adjusting weaponry damage of the enemies (just not the infested please) can turn a rusher's game into a properly paced one. It doesnt make melee useless though.

Maybe they should boost melee damage so players can defend themselves upclose to a better effect.. and rid those pesky infested dogs