Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fanfiction] Schisms

Kalenath

Paths

“How’s that?” The medic’s voice wasn’t worried, per say, but she was cautious. For that, the Tenno with no name was grateful. The Tenno of the clan that Karen called family had been… Well, upset probably was too mild a word. None of them had apparently been surprised by the news except Karen. The medics had taken his word for his situation and none had pressed.

He had been the curious one. Karen’s comments about searching deep held memories had intrigued him. Despite the reservations of the staff, the clan leader had simply nodded. The other Rhino hadn’t said a word, but amusement had rolled from him in waves as he had seen the medics trying not to be curious. He couldn’t really blame them. He was curious himself.

He found that he liked these people. These Tenno who were different from him. It had been decidedly uncomfortable when he had seen a humanoid form in what was obviously a Tenno suit of some kind step from the back of Karen’s warframe and move to stand by a wall when he asked to see it done. She had spoken, reassured him and he had relaxed. Somewhat. He… couldn’t do that and the docs had flatly forbade him trying. He didn’t have an epidermis like Karen and the others did. His epidermis was the armor of his warframe. Which was how he remembered it being, but...

“I am good, Medic Brianna.” The Rhino Prime said quietly as he lay back on the bed that the staff had been forced to fabricate to accommodate his warframe. He wouldn’t have minded waiting, but the others were just as curious as he was. “I still think you should find a way to restrain me. If I lash out…”

“We will stay away until we are sure you are coherent.” The other medic –Amelia- said with a snort. “We are not quite that stupid.” Two different chuckles came from nearby and she spun in place to glare at the other observers. “None of that! I run a clean medical ward. Keep your silliness out of here!”

The Rhino Prime had to laugh as the black painted Banshee made a decidedly lewd gesture at the medic who blushed. The white armored Rhino just shook his head.

“Let them get it out of their system now.” Brianna said with a long suffering sigh that was utterly ruined by the wide smile on her face. “Else they will be incorrigible.”

“They are not usually?” The Rhino Prime slyly and the room erupted in chuckles again.

“Well… Yeah.” Brianna admitted and Amelia shook her head and went back to her work. “But usually, they are a bit less… forward about it.”

“I can see I am a bad influence.” The recumbent Tenno said with a snort.

“Not really.” Karen had a wide grin on her face now. “They are always like this.” She recoiled in mock fear as the Banshee raised a hand in a mock backhand gesture. Then she sobered. “You don’t have to do this.”

“Begging your pardon, Sister Karen…” The Rhino Prime said formally. “Yes I do. Anything more than the tiny little bits of memory I have now will be an improvement.”

“I have seen… and heard… these done.” Karen said softly. “…too many times.” She bowed her head. “I owe you, but…” The Rhino prime froze in place and then, after a glance at Brianna who was just as shocked, swung out of the bed and strode to where Karen was standing, ashen faced.

“Sister Karen.” The Rhino Prime said formally. “You owe me nothing. If anything, I owe you. You protected me while I was helpless. You stood alone while…” He broke off as Karl exclaimed.

Alone?” The clan leader demanded. To her credit, Karen did not wilt as the white armored Rhino stepped to her. “Karen?”

“The others… left the pod, Karl Sensei.” Karen’s voice was whisper soft, but carried. The Banshee –Two- had frozen as well. “I couldn’t leave kin to die or… worse.”

“No. No, you couldn’t.” Karl’s voice held rage now, but it was not directed at Karen. He waved her to the door, towards the room where her warframe stood empty. “Go.” He commanded.

“Sensei… I…” Karen stammered, staring from him to the Rhino Prime and back. “I need to…”

“You are out on your feet. You need rest, Karen.” Karl’s voice turned gentle. “Go on, we have this.” Now the young Tenno wilted a bit. “…and tell Aeron I want to talk to him before he… ‘talks’ to any of the ones who were on your team.” Karen actually gulped at that and then bowed formally. To him, to the Rhino Prime and then to Two who nodded. Then she left the room. Karl shook his head slowly. “That girl has no quit in her at all.”

“Saw that.” The golden Rhino said softly. “She is new.” It wasn’t a question. Karl looked at him and he shrugged. “No offense intended to her, but if it was protect me or herself… she should have taken care of herself first.”

“Karen is… a special case.” Karl shook himself a little. “She has had some… bad experiences.”

“And if you let her kill herself trying to prove herself without the experience to know when to back off?” The Rhino Prime asked carefully. “Or when to run the hell away?”

“Oh, she knows that.” Two’s voice could have dried up an ocean. “We wouldn’t let her out of the dojo otherwise.”

“I meant no offense.” The Rhino Prime said after a moment. “She is a good sister.”

“None taken.” Karl reassured him. “She is a good sister. And as you say, a new sister. We have trained her as best we can. But if we wrap her in protections… Keep placing armor between her and the universe…” He nodded as the other Rhino inhaled in understanding.

“She will never learn.” The Prime replied. “I apologize. I… I remember seeing too many half trained kids die to take it easily.”

“The war took everything we had. Far too many of us died in the process.” Karl agreed. “None of us remember it all. Some of us have more than others. We also have access to some fairly specialized records. But…”

“Memory is a double bitted axe. Cuts both ways.” The Prime sounded resigned. “I want to know, but… at the same time, I don’t. You understand?” He asked the room. All of the others nodded. “I…” He turned to where Amelia stood, but paused as she shook her head.

“You are not ready.” Amelia started powering down the systems and after a moment, Brianna did likewise. “There is no hurry. No urgent call for you to endure the pain that will come from this. Settle yourself, Tenno. Meditate. If you still desire it, we will do it. But not now.” This was the medical professional talking.

“The not-knowing hurts doc.” The Prime sounded dejected, but he was not arguing. “But I know I am too conflicted right now. I will take some time to think.”

“We will be here when you are ready.” Amelia said with a nod and turned back to her equipment.

The white armor Rhino and the black armor banshee turned and made for the door, the Prime following them. Outside, the corridors of the dojo were clear.

“You won’t need quarters in a warframe.” Karl commented as they walked. “So I secluded an area of the zen garden for you.”

“Appreciated.” The Prime nodded. “I know I am a burden.”

“It is an entirely new world you have woken in, brother.” Two kept her pace even with the others. “Even the best of us take some time to acclimatize. Diving into combat just out of the pod had to be… jarring.”

“It was.” The Prime sighed in loss. “I am going to miss that axe, but… a weapon does not make a Tenno.”

“Nope.” Karl agreed. “But we can stop by the armory first. I need to talk to Aeron any- aw crap…” Two and the Prime looked up to see a Loki striding towards them. Just from his posture, the trickster Tenno was furious. Even the bangles on his Swindle helm were jingling from his tension. “Two, take our guest to the armory. You know what is spoke for and what isn’t. Miguel should available on call if you need anything.” Two nodded and turned a corner. The Prime paused but followed when she beckoned him while Karl moved to block the Loki’s path. “Aeron…” Karl’s voice was low and meant to soothe.

“Do you know what those idiots did?” The Loki snapped, but the rest of what he was saying was cut off as Two hurried them into another room and the door hissed shut behind them.

“That was Aeron.” The Prime said slowly.

“Karen is his adopted daughter.” Two said quietly. The Prime froze and Two nodded. “He isn’t as bad as he was… But still…” She shuddered. “He is the only person I have ever met who can match Serene in sheer scariness.”

“Serene?” The Prime inquired.

“Another sister.” Two said, oddly hesitant. “She also wears a Banshee warframe. She… walked alone for a long, long time. It… changed her.”

“It would.” The Prime agreed and Two relaxed a little. “She okay?”

“For certain connotations of the word ‘okay’, yes.” Two said with a shrug. “Others no. She is a mess, but she is alive, sane and mostly whole.”

Mostly?” The Rhino asked carefully.

“She lost her legs and the docs couldn’t regrow them.” Two was being blunt and the Prime nodded. The pain in her voice was heartfelt. “Radiation.”

“So no prosthesis?” He asked, concerned. Radiation did… bad things when it hit warframes on occasion.

“Maybe. She is currently at a specialized hospital.” Two sounded… cautiously optimistic now. “They are trying some off the wall techniques and hope to help her. But no. With the radiation damage… She can’t use a warframe again.”

“That is… to be regretted.” The Prime bowed his head. “Good Tenno should be treasured.”

“She still holds to the Code.” Two’s voice held mild reproof and the Prime bowed his head in acknowledgement. “Warframe or no, she is still Tenno.” She shook herself. “Armory. Two and guest. Guest needed armaments. Clearance?” The door clicked open, but as they entered a slightly larger chamber…

“Two?” A scared voice sounded from a corner and both Tenno turned to see a small Nyx warframe appear from where she had been crouched. “Aeron just tore out of here like he was on fire! He got a call and… bam!” She shook her head. “I forgot how scary he can be.”

“What are you doing in the Armory, Kori?” The Prime went still. Something in the Banshee’s tone.

“He had me cleaning parts.” The Nyx –Kori- spoke slowly and carefully. “I… Two, it is still live!” She turned and the Prime inhaled as he saw a collar on her neck. A neutralization collar! “I couldn’t use any of my powers even if I wanted to!” The Prime stared at her and then at Two who relaxed a bit. “What the hell happened?” The Nyx demanded.

“Karen was sent on a mission with a mixed group from other clans.” Two’s voice was flat now. “She was left alone to accomplish it. In the Void.”

What?” The Nyx could not have been faking the sheer outrage in her voice. Not a chance. “Is she…?” She took a step and paused, obviously conflicted.

“She is okay.” Two sighed and relaxed fully. “Tired. But okay. This is our guest. He doesn’t remember his name.”

“Oh.” Kori made a noise of sadness. “That sucks.” She spoke as if from experience. “I am Kori.” She bowed to the Prime. “Currently working on my penance for wrongs I did this clan.” Two crossed her arms and Kori retreated a pace. “And I haven’t been touching assembled weapons, Two! Parts! He had me cleaning parts!” She waved to a table covered in small pieces from various firearms. “There!”

“Kori…” Two said quietly.

“I have to do something, Two!” Kori snapped. “I am going out of my mind here! Anything! Cleaning the air filters! Shoveling sand! Feeding the fish! Anything! I can’t just sit, Two!”

“And we cannot let you loose.” Two said softly. “Not after what happened.” Kori slumped a bit and nodded, her entire body language abject. “We won’t kill you.”

I would prefer death!” Kori screamed, and then recoiled. “No… I…” Two seemed at a loss and the Prime shook his head.

“Sister.” The Prime said slowly. “Whatever you have done, was the damage mortal?” Kori shook her head and the Rhino nodded. “Then you have a chance to atone. Not everyone gets that chance, sister.”

“I know.” Kori said as she knelt, bowing her head. “I will… I will wait for Aeron to return to command me.” Two froze.

“Kori. He might be gone a while.” The Banshee sounded upset now. “Ric left you in our care. He has important work.”

“I know.” Kori said softly. “And I cannot be trusted.”

“The only way to earn trust is to act trustworthy, sister Kori.” The Prime said into the silence that fell. “You regret your actions. That is one step on your road to atonement. But it will a long and tortuous one.”

“Who are you?” Kori breathed, staring at him. “I swear I know you… from… somewhere…”

“I wish I knew.” The Prime answered honestly. Kori nodded slowly and he jerked his head to the table. She rose, bowed formally to the pair and stepped to the table where she picked up a small brush. It looked… No it couldn’t be! No, it wasn’t his imagination! It was a toothbrush! She was cleaning the tiny bits of firearms with an archaic toothbrush. “May you find peace on your way, Sister Kori.” He intoned formally.

Kori stiffened, but then resumed her work. Two looked from one to the other and then shrugged. She led him to another door. The door opened in front of the Banshee and the Prime stopped at it, stunned. Inside lay a huge room filled to the brim with instruments of death. Rifles, pistols, swords, axes, maces, machine guns, rocket launchers… Everything and anything weapon related hung on neat racks or lay on tables ready for inspection.

“I…” The Prime shook his head. “Just a skana.” Two looked at him and shook her head.

“Sensei said you are to be armed properly.” The Banshee’s voice was quiet. “You cannot carry them around inside the dojo. No unauthorized weapons past the door to the hall. The lockers will hold them for you or send them to the docking bay if you take a ship. Step out with one and zap, you are unconscious.” She warned. “But he wants you outfitted properly. We have enough.”

“I’ll say.” The Prime said dryly as he looked around. He shook himself. “Skana, Braton and Lato?” Two didn’t move and the Prime sighed. “That is all I need.”

“Karl Sensei said ‘properly’.” Two’s tone defied argument. “I do not want him angry at me.”

“Okay.” The Prime said sourly as he scrutinized the weapons. “Scindo…” He stepped to where a set of the battle axes hung. Some were the standard Tenno double bladed axe. Others were more massive, with a huge bell shaped mass at the bottom to counterbalance the huge spikes on the chunky blade. But one… “Where did he get this…?” He reached out to touch the ancient looking axe and paused, looking at Two who shrugged.

In form, it was a two handed axe with two blades. Much like a Scindo, which was why it was hanging with them most likely. But… The handle was wood, not metal. And the blades… They were long, coming to wicked points above and below the attachment to the haft as well as ornately carved. He tapped one blade with a finger and the ringing tone was solid metal. He pulled the weapon down, swung it experimentally and then slowly replaced it.

“What?” Two asked, confused. “It seemed to fit you.”

“That is a relic.” The Prime’s voice was awed. “I am not worthy to handle such.” He strode to the regular Scindo and pulled one down. He swung it experimentally and nodded. “This will do.”

“The other one looked right in your hands.” Two protested.

“That blade predates Orokin, Tenno Two.” The Prime said sternly. Two froze and the Rhino nodded. “Using such a relic…” Now he shook his head. “Weapon were meant to be used. There is nothing glorious or heroic about things meant to end lives. But there is history and that…” He nodded to the axe. “Should not end its days with its broken blades buried in some clone’s stinking armor. A Scindo is more than enough.”

“It looked right.” Two said, but she was not arguing. Simply stating fact. The Prime shrugged and turned to other weapons. He chose a Braton and paused when he saw something that caught his eye.

“Castanas.” The Prime picked up one pf the wicked throwing traps and juggled it for a moment. “You have a quite extensive collection.”

“We have lot of… odd stuff coming through.” Two said with a small chuckle. “We find blueprints and our Armorer makes them just to see if he can. Sometimes he makes them just to see how bad they are.” The Prime chuckled at that but holstered the Castanas at his hip.

“These will do.” The Prime nodded. “Now to meditate. I think… I think I want to know who I was. But…”

“But?” Two asked as she opened the door, but froze as a voice from outside spoke.

“Come on out of there, ya silly girl and bring the clan’s guest.” The voice was old and cantankerous. “Karen is asleep and I wanna hear what happened to that pup Mavri!” The Prime went still at the voice and then slowly walked to the door as Two slowly edged out into the room.

Outside, Kori was huddled against one wall. Obviously the door was soundproofed, because she was crying from the shudders she was showing. The cause stood at the other door, his hands on his pistols.

“You haven’t changed a bit.” The Prime said slowly. “Nikis.”

The Nekros gunfighter stared at the Prime and slowly shook his head. His hands… fell from his pistols. When he spoke again, it was dumbfounded. Two jerked as she heard awe in it.

You?”

Can we turn this into a sitcom? "Everyone Remembers Rhino Prime" or something.

Not -quite- that bad.

Nikis knew him. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? We shall see.

But yes. It takes a bit to render an ancient curmudgeon gunfighter Tenno speechless.

Not -quite- that bad.

Nikis knew him. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? We shall see.

But yes. It takes a bit to render an ancient curmudgeon gunfighter Tenno speechless.

I wanna say good thing, considering Nikis decided NOT to pull his magnificent pistols on him.   Come on kale, double post today? for us? pleeeease?

Fear

The Prime did not move. Kori knelt where she was, still shuddering. Two stood frozen against the wall and the pitch black Nekros who had caused this stood in the doorway, obviously not going to make the first move.

“I don’t remember a lot.” The Prime said softly. “But I do remember you, Nikis. You are memorable.”

“Karl said you don’t remember your name.” Nikis said quietly. The Prime shook his head, but his hands did not move from where they hung by the Castanas. “It was Richard.” The Prime did not move. That felt… both right and wrong. The gunfighter sighed. “Come on, say something. Do something, drat you.”

“I am not your enemy, Nikis.” The Prime said quietly. “I don’t think either of us wants to be the other’s enemy. Especially now. I don’t remember what lay between us.” Nikis shook his head slowly.

“Cryo-nesia sucks.” The Nekros said after a moment. “I didn’t get it as bad. Part of me wishes I had.” For a moment, a sad and sick old man sounded in his voice. Then it hardened. “What happened to Mavri?”

“I don’t know.” The Prime said quietly. “He told us to flee and not to attempt any rescues.” Nikis snarled and the Prime shook his head. “Nikis…” He warned.

“No, I ain’t going to run in, guns blasting to cut down unarmed women and children who happen to get in my way. I know about people in the wrong place at the wrong time.” Nikis snapped. “Mavri was a dumb kid when I knew him, but he grew up. They all did. But… Not many were left. You know?” His tone was sad now.

“I know.” The Prime voice gentled. “What can you tell me?”

“Richard…” Nikis sounded as if her were picking his words with care now. “If you don’t know… then I can’t say.” The Prime went still and Nikis sighed deeply. “I gave my word.”

“Crap.” The Prime –he couldn’t quite think of himself as Richard- said with feeling. What little he remembered… Nikis didn’t give his word often or lightly. When he did? A planet would move out of its orbit before the stubborn Tenno pistoleer would budge. “Then, for whatever it is worth, I am glad you are still around, you blasphemous fart.”

“Never thought I would say this.” Nikis sounded amazed now. “But right back at ya, ya silly paladin.” He laughed a bit sadly. “I will be around.”

“Don’t do anything rash, Nikis.” The Prime said quietly. “If Mavri is alive, he will need help. But not foolish help.”

“Teach your grandma to suck eggs, Richard.” The Nekros spun, deposited his pistols in a locker that was open behind him and then vanished from the room.

For a long moment, no one moved. Then the Prime walked to where Kori lay sobbing and knelt beside her. He touched her shoulder and she jumped. She stared up at him, her armored faceplate retracted and tears were falling like rain. Two stood back, shaking her head.

“He… he hates me…” Kori sobbed.

“It’s not personal, Sister Kori.” The Prime said quietly. “He hates everybody, including himself.” He laid an arm around her as she sobbed. “It’s okay, sister. It’s okay.”

“He said I was worthless…” Kori bawled. “Stupid, worthless dross…”

“Are you?” The Prime asked. Kori bowed her head and he shook her a little. “Sister, answer the question. Are you?”

“I think so.” Kori curled up tighter. “Can’t… Can’t do better…” She gave a squeak as the Prime rose quickly dropping her on her rump. Her squeak turned to a cry of fear as his hand went up and back and his Scindo came to his hand. He held it easily one-handed.

“If that is all you believe…” The Prime ignored Two’s sudden intake of breath. “If you believe that nothing can save you…that you are doomed and nothing you do matters…then why are you still here?” His voice was… odd. Gentle, but… like a sudden rain shower, it was everywhere. “If you truly believed you were useless, why fight? Why keep trying? Why not give up?”

“You know.” Kori said weakly, but then screamed as the axe came down, slamming to the ground beside her. She shied away from it as his huge arms lifted it easily to ready position again. “What?”

“Are you just a drain? A leech? A waste?” The Prime’s voice was thunderous now. “What are you?” His voice was not a scream. Not quite. But the sheer intensity was appalling.

“A failure.” Kori bent her head as if to invite the deathblow. Instead, the flat of one of the blades slapped her upside the head. “What? Ow!”

“Try again.” The Prime sounded quiet and contemplative now, but his axe was up again. “Depression lies, sister.” Kori stared at him, eyes wide. “Fight it.”

“I don’t understand.” Kori nearly begged. “What?”

“Your guilt is telling you one thing.” The Prime said quietly. “Your heart another. Which way will you go, sister?” Kori stared at him, eyes wide, then down at herself. The axe returned to its place on the Prime’s back and he sidled closer beside her. “Sister… You are not alone. You do not face this battle alone.” Two had been frozen in place while the tableau played out, now she knelt on Kori’s other side. “Any Tenno can err. Any Tenno can fail. Any can be misled.” He reached out and his hand was gentle, but irresistible as he turned her crying face to look at him. “Nikis was trying to help you, sister Kori. His way. He kicks people until they get better or fall apart completely. It works sometimes.” His tone spoke volumes of how he felt about the Nekros’ methods.

“It hurts.” Kori said weakly. “Why does it hurt so bad? I… I was getting better…”

“I don’t know what happened to you, sister.” The Prime said quietly. “But you are strong to have survived your ordeals. Whatever you did to earn this clan’s wrath, you survived. It is time to move past your grief and fear, sister. Time to move on.”

“I can’t.” Kori pleaded. She did not move, but both others turned their eyes as the door hissed open. Another warframe stood there. Not one the Prime had seen before. A Vauban. He nodded to the Prime, an odd gesture. Stylized and formal. Archaic and… right.

“Oh Kori…” The sadness in the male Tenno’s voice was palpable.

“Ric…” Kori keened and only the Prime’s grip on her shoulders kept her off the floor. “I can’t… I tried… I can’t… I can’t do this. I tried so hard. I am not good enough.”

“Kori.” The Vauban went to his knees in front of the sobbing Nyx and reached out to hold her. The Prime released her when the Vauban had a good grip. “The only one who thinks that is you.” The Prime glanced at the Vauban and then back to the Nyx. Kori shook her head savagely and the Vauban sighed. “We will be waiting for you in the garden, Kori. Brianna and I.”

“But… I…” Kori gave a squeak as the Vauban embraced her. Then he rose and, quick as thought, was gone. “I don’t understand.” She wailed. Then she made a sound somewhere between a squeak and a muffled scream as the Prime rapped her shoulder and rose. He walked to a locker, stowed his weapons and then moved to stand in front of her. Then he bent down and gathered her up as easily as if the warframe clad Tenno were a child! “No…”

“You need help, sister. It’s not weakness to need assistance against overwhelming enemies. And depression is an overwhelming enemy.” The Prime said gently as he held her gently but firmly despite her struggles. “The garden?”

Two rose silently and led the way into the hall. The Rhino Prime moved easily despite his burden, Kori sputtering protests that both ignored. The halls were empty, eerily so. Kori’s struggles became stronger as they walked, but the Rhino held her easily. Finally, Two led them through a hatch into an open sand garden where two forms waited. Only a stone lantern marred the simple perfection of the sand as it lay in tiny dunes all around the room. Medic Brianna knelt on the sand by the lantern, clad in an archaic looking silver gown. Tenno Ric stood near her, his posture still.

“The Order thanks you.” Ric said formally to the Prime. “Our sister needs help.”

“Indeed she does.” The Prime agreed as he set Kori down on her feet. She immediately tried to run, but Two had shut and locked the door. The black Banshee leaned against the control panel, blocking access. Kori fled to the far corner of the room, panting with fear and anger. “Depression is no easy foe, sir knight.” Where had that come from?

“Indeed. The demons within the psyche cheat and lie and connive to sap the will of even the strongest of souls.” Ric agreed, his eyes on Kori who flinched under his scrutiny. “Lady Kori, stand easy. No harm will come to you this day.”

“Ric… I can’t…” Kori shook herself. “I can’t do this. I can’t. I have tried and tried and tried. I can’t be this. I thought I could. I was wrong!”

“That is not for you to judge, sister.” Ric’s voice turned stern. “Or do you usurp powers that are not yours by right?”

“I…” Kori jerked and retreated a step, only to collide with the wall and freeze again. “No… I…” She started to cry again. “I don’t know…”

“Sir Knight…” The Prime had no idea where these words were coming from. “May I be of assistance?”

“You have already been of assistance, Brother.” Ric said with a nod. “Nikis meant well, but his methods are brutal.” He waved permission.

“No less brutal than life at times.” The Prime said sadly. “Sister Kori…” He took a step towards the sobbing Nyx. “What is happening is not your fault. Your mind is tricking you.” His voice turned deep and solemn. And… something else. “Be calm… Be still…” Kori stared at him, eyes wide. A long rattling breath escaped her mouth and then… she went still. “By the Code, I see…” His voice soothed her and she relaxed slowly. “By my oath… I act.” He took another step and somehow was at the frozen Nyx’s side. A hand on her arm and she was eased down to kneel. The Rhino knelt before her. “For my kin, I serve. Easy, sister.”

“You…” Kori stared up at the towering form. “I know you… I…think.” A single tear fell. “It’s so… gray… I can’t… feel…”

“Yes, you can.” The Prime’s voice was melodic and soothing. “It is a wall. A wall of evil in your mind. You created it, you alone can pass it. You can see the truth, sister. All you have to do is look.” The final word resonated oddly. Two, Ric and Brianna were all staring at him now, Brianna’s mouth was hanging open as Kori shuddered a moment and then relaxed more fully.

“I… see…” Kori took a deep breath and then another. “I… Oh my god…” She started to cry again. “I…” Then, like a switch had been thrown, her tears stopped and her eyes cleared. She stared up at the Rhino who was kneeling before her with wide eyes. “Master… I…”

“No Kori.” The Rhino said gently. “I am no Master. Just a traveler. A seeker of knowledge. A guide at times, but no more. No grand titles for me.”

“But…” Kori shook her head as if bothered by a fly. “This is… I was smothering in gray. Your voice came and I…”

“Kori.” The Prime’s words were stern now. “I calmed you. That is all I did. You did the rest yourself. You saw your depression’s lies for what they are. Lies.” He patted her arm and rose. “Even Tenno cannot fight all foes alone, sister. Especially when those foes come from within their own minds.” The Rhino Prime moved to the door as Brianna and Ric moved to stand beside Kori who was staring at him, obviously trying to understand. “Be well, Sister Kori.”

Ric and Brianna were kneeling beside Kori now as the Nyx slowly bowed her head. Two looked at the Prime and shook her head, but hit the controls and lad the way out of the room. Neither spoke as she led him into another Zen garden space. This one was a water based garden. A walkway that looked like wood ran over the water that hung with lilies and other old Earth plants. A central platform was larger, anchored to an island around which small Koi fish swam. Two led him to the platform and knelt. The Prime paused.

“May I meditate with you, brother?” Two asked softly.

“I did not intend to interfere with Sister Kori’s rehabilitation.” The Prime said as he knelt on the platform across from the Banshee. Synchronicity aided in focus. “I don’t know where that came from.” He said quietly.

“She needed help.” Two sounded cautious. The Prime looked at her and she shrugged a little. “You did help.”

“So did Nikis in his own way.” The Prime retorted. “He pushed her into the breakdown she fought her way past with my assistance.”

“You did help.’ Two pressed gently. “She is better.”

“Perhaps.” The Rhino sounded cautiously hopeful. “But for now? I need to settle myself. Think about what I want and why. And maybe figure out how I knew that Tenno was a knight.” Two did not react and the Prime snorted. “I don’t know him. I don’t have a clue who he is. Just the name, Ric. Not anyone I remember. But somehow, I know he is a knight.”

“So are you.” Two said softly. The Prime went still and Two shook her head. “Not the same way. His Order is small and all accounted for. But that was a knightly act. Helping Kori like that.”

“I don’t know why I did that, Sister.” The Prime retorted. “For all I know, this is some kind of long buried fantasy of mine. To save damsels in distress.” Two burst out laughing at that and he chuckled. “Doubt it, but maybe. I remember Nikis and he knew me. But… he gave his word not to speak of it. He won’t break it. Come hell or high water, sundering or supernova, he won’t break his word.”

“You knew him well.” Two agreed. “He taught many. Were you a student?” The Prime thought about that for a moment and then shook his head.

“I don’t think so.” The Rhino sounded perplexed though. “But… It kind of feels right.” He mused. “Not his student. But… a student?” He asked nobody.

“Well, you have already said you do not believe yourself the First Rhino.” Two said with a nod. “So, take it from there.”

“No, there were others who bore Rhino warframes.” The Prime said quickly.

Bore?” Two pounced on the word. “Not ‘wore’?”

“Bore.” The Prime said after a moment. “As in a burden. Which it is.”

“Oh yes.” Two agreed. “With great power comes great responsibility.” She paused as the Prime stared at her and then laughed. “What?”

“I remember that as a quote from a comic book.” The Prime managed to get out through his laughs.

“A what?” Two demanded, deeply confused.

“Ah…” The Prime paused in his mirth. Memory came and he plowed into it. “I think… Yeah… Ancient printed media. Small captioned pictures of characters doing things were called comics. A ‘comic book’ was a collection of such things put together in a book format, usually small and cheaply printed to make them easy to sell. They came in all kinds. Mystery stories, comedy stories, documentary stories, horror stories, and superhero stories among others.”

Super… hero?” Two asked carefully.

“Yeah.” The Prime sounded uncomfortable now. “Hey, I was a kid!” He defended himself, but Two just shook her head.

“I am honestly curious now.” Two tilted her head. “What made a hero super?”

“Ah… Geez, hard question.” The Rhino said with a snorted laugh. “Um, from what I remember… The characters possessed extraordinary talents, supernatural phenomena, or superhuman powers and were usually dedicated to protecting the public.” He paused and then chuckled as Two did. “Yeah, kind of like some Tenno.”

“Some, not all.” Two’s voice had turned darker. “Anyway… That quote?”

“Yeah.” The Prime shook himself. “Can’t remember if it was Super-Spider or Captain Spider who said it, but he had the quote ‘With great power comes great responsibility.’ The basic gist was that the character, whichever it was, believed that if a person had superhuman abilities they had a duty to act rightly with them.” Two inhaled sharply and the Prime nodded. “You can see the appeal for some of us.”

“And that character faced others who felt differently doing what he did. Protecting.” It wasn’t a question.

“Oh, lots.” The Prime said with a snort. “I remember a dozen entertainment holos made about that character. Most were kid’s shows, but a few had deeper connotations.” He shook his head, the memories faded. “Drat. Lost the thread of memory.”

“Meditation should help.” Two said with a nod. “But…before we start… Thank you. For helping Kori. She is a mess. And she messed up. But it wasn’t entirely her fault.”

“It never is, sister.” The Prime set himself and took a deep breath. “It never is.”

Neither the two now relaxing Tenno nor the dojo’s impressive security systems noticed the shadowy form that materialized against one wall to stare at the odd pair for a moment.

The human woman was insubstantial. Her face was stricken as she reached out. For which? It couldn’t be said. But then, her face contorted in apparent fear and she was gone. The plants where she had been… had moved. A golden mist wafted over the area and then every vestige of her presence faded. Then the mist vanished as if it too had never been.

Edited by Kalenath

So I just went back the The First: Gathering. I found the part I was looking for.

Nyx called the first Rhino Richard.

Coincidnece? I think no...

O.o

Is that so? Hmm....

*whistles innocently*

>:)

Edited by Kalenath

You evil son of a $#*(@

Mwahahahahahahahahahaha

Just curious. I believe that Ric stands for 'Richard' as well, no?

Ric is the Vauban's full name now. He was formerly known as Ricard in another life. Pronounced 'Ri-kard'

Richard...well... we shall see... He doesn't think the name is quite right.

[size=4]*I* just reread The First.

Whoa... Um.

Okay, im putting speculation in a spoiler. This spoiler with (Spoiler alert) contain spoilers from The First: Gathering. The first part of the spoiler only contains a link to the half of that specific story. Click the second spoiler at your own Risk.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/93918-fanfiction-the-first-gathering/page-10[/ur] This picks up after events establish the First into what they become in Kal-Kannon. Reading from there will give you the information that i am basing my speculation on.

The Rhino in the First, is Richard. He is called, BY NAME, by Nyx. He also possesses a rudimentary armor that was created outside of Hayden's tenno. That leaves me to believe 1 of 2 things occurred: Either hayden's citidel improved upon the original "Ghetto Rhino", or his original frame (and body) was so badly damaged that he was given an upgrade. However, given that he has no Dermis, it would have had to been the former, as he could not be taken out of his frame without possibly killing him (unless it was in a Zero-G, pressurized environment). At any rate, i believe Richard was a disciple of The First. In addition, for Nilky-Poo *dodges bullet* to have known him (in addition to all of the hints everyone is dropping about his age) I feel he is likely the Second Nekros to ever be created (2nd as in second generation, he has no prime, and he has his name). Though im still not sure about him. For him to have known a First, would make him extremely old (which would explain his curmudgeonlyness). At any rate, i still strongly beleive that Richard was the first Rhino, he may not veiw himself as the first, because that he is no longer in the first frame (after extensive upgrades).

Also, one major note.

in ANY Segment where members of Karl's Half-Way house Dojo interact with Departed Tenno (and the First Fold) in the Orokin Cyber Afterlife(?)(World? im not too sure WHAT it is), there has NEVER been ANY Rhino.

The reason for Nilkis' silence:

Richard, Hayden, and the other where in a losing battle. A battle here sacrifice, and going down while taking out as many as possible where the only options. Richard could have severe survivor's Guilt for not going down with his comrades, or staying behind to fight along side them to the end. If this is his greatest shame, to not be with the first in the OtherWord, it could indeed be the one thing he wanted to confess, but kept silent all this time.

Anywho, if i somehow change'd Kals idea and he manages to WOW us even more, all the better. If i was a smart cookie and guessed right, i can be paid with deleicious electronic cookies straight to my PM box.

[/size]

Edited by ensignvidiot

Unable

“We have to do something!” The young human named Cecelia was all but jumping up and down in place.

When the Prime had woken refreshed from his meditations, Two had told him about this assembly. The whole clan was meeting. The Rhino Prime had wanted to demur, but since he and Karen were the only witnesses to what had happened, his presence had pretty much been a forgone conclusion. Kori had made a beeline to his side as soon as he had arrived and not left. There was something about her. Something… unsettling. She hadn’t said anything wrong or done anything wrong, and she might just have been fleeing the pitch black Nekros who stood on the far side of the chamber. Everyone gave Nikis space. But there was something. Medic Brianna was watching her carefully and when the Prime glanced at her, the medic gave a small nod. She saw it too.

“Cecelia.” Karl stood in the center of the room, immaculate in his own Rhino warframe. “What can we do?” The girl stopped and stared at him. “Invade the colony?”

“I…” The girl swallowed hard and then slumped in place. Ric laid a hand on her arm and she withdrew to where he stood, huddling close to him. “No.” She sounded so miserable that the Prime’s heart went out to her.

Brianna, Ric and Cecelia made a small clump near one wall. An Excalibur Prime and a Trinity that the Rhino Prime had not met yet stood by the door. Two stood with Amelia, the human doctor’s face ashen. A Frost Prime stood, just a little apart from the others. This had to be Olim, the Cyberlancer. Karen stood with the Volt from before who hadn’t said a word, just watched with an unnerving intensity. An older human stood by them, his face lined with years and worry, but his frame unbent. A Saryn, a Nova and a Frost stood just a little to one side. Was it his imagination that they seemed a little excluded?

Nikis stood by a dark haired human girl. A female Tenno in an odd looking medical tunic stood with them. He had seen her looking at Kori as well. So whatever was wrong with Kori wasn’t just his imagination. Had he done something? He didn’t think so, but he didn’t know. Later. For now…

“Tenno do not fight Tenno.” The voice sounded odd to the Prime’s ears, and as all eyes in the room found him, he realized he had spoken. “We have enough enemies.” He said, trying for calm.

“True.” Karl agreed. “But Cecelia is also right.” The girl perked up a bit and Karl nodded to her. “We have to do something. But what? None of us have any idea. None of us have ever encountered such things. Unless…” He paused. “Nikis?”

“I have seen a few revolutions.” The ancient gunfighter said slowly. “Even the bloodless ones ain’t pretty. Mavri will have done whatever he could to keep the peace, but…” He hawked and spat. “Some people just ain’t gonna be satisfied. Give them a millimeter and they think they can take the whole planet.” The faces that could be seen fell and the Tenno in warframes all showed tension in body language. Nikis held up a hand. “The one thing that I do remember is that once blood has been shed, there is no going back. No making anything right without violence. We don’t know if Mavri is dead. Karen and Richard here say the Lotus told them that she couldn’t contact him.” The Prime shook his head and Nikis paused. “Huh?”

“I didn’t hear the Lotus say that.” The Prime clarified. “I was preparing for meditation.” To her credit, Karen did not retreat as all the eyes in the room landed on her.

“I downloaded what I had seen and heard.” Karen said quietly. “The Lotus sounded…distant and when she came back, she said she could not contact Mavri. She could not even detect him. I asked her what could cause that and she… didn’t want to answer me. I pressed and she said that only deep unconsciousness –like a coma- or death would do that.” She slumped a bit. “I didn’t want to leave him.” The old human beside her laid a hand on her shoulder. She straightened and nodded to Karl. “We stand ready.” There was more to that innocuous sounding phrase. A lot more from how the others in the room reacted, shifting as if worried.

“Let’s hope you are not needed.” Karl said quietly and Karen nodded, her eyes flicking around to land on the Prime and then away. He took a deep breath and then spoke. “Okay. I have asked the Lotus to notify us if anything changes. The colony has been marked ‘off limits’ until further notice. That includes you, Nikis.” Karl said mildly. The Nekros snarled and Karl sighed. “Nikis…”

“I know I would escalate things, dimwit.” The scorn in the Nekros’ tone could have cut steel. “But we could use someone monitoring the situation closer.”

“And you are volunteering out of the goodness of your heart.” Karl said dryly. “Right.”

“No.” Nikis admitted. “I am doing it so I will be close if needed. Besides, it would get me out of here. And…” He glanced at Kori who did not move. “All this nobleness is making my teeth ache.” He complained, looking pointedly at the Prime, who ignored him. He turned and left the room without another word. The tension level dropped significantly as soon as the hatch shut behind him.

“Not much else we can do for now.” Karl’s voice echoed in the silence that had fallen. “Keep running missions, keep fighting. It is what we do.” A murmur of assent went around the room at that. The Saryn raised a hand slightly and Karl nodded to her. “Yes, Mori?”

“If I recall correctly, Elders have specific requirements.” The female Tenno said slowly. The Prime looked at her. She didn’t know? Odd. But Karl nodded and she continued with more assurance. “They have to be Warriors who are willing to serve in an unusual way. To learn to compromise instead of drawing weapons.”

“The Way of the Elder is not easy.” Karl agreed. “I doubt I would be able to do it.”

“We may know of a possibility.” Mori said softly. Karl looked at her. “If it is needed.”

“Who?” The Excalibur Prime asked when Karl did not. The Trinity at his side tensed as the Saryn looked at her.

“You cannot be serious.” The Trinity –someone had said her name was Alicia- did not quite exclaim, but it was close. “Raven?

“Your sister is a trained politician as well as a Warrior.” Mori was stating this as facts, striving to be emotionless. “It is something to consider.” She said as Alicia hissed.

“True.” Karl’s calm word cut through Alicia’s half formed protest like a sword. “Nothing for now.” He commanded. “When next we get the chance, we will ask her if she is interested. But then… she would have to be vetted by the others, examined and tested.”

“Just a thought.” Mori said with a shrug. “We don’t even know if Mavri is dead.”

“Dead or incapacitated, either way, we will need to plan for the future.” Karl mused. “Sooner or later, that colony will have to be dealt with. Order restored. But for now, we watch and wait.”

“I hate waiting.” Alicia’s words were mostly under her breath. The Prime chuckled with others at her sour tone.

“I never would have guessed.” Karl’s dry wit had more people chuckling. Even Alicia snorted. “Anyway, we have missions. Will, Alicia, Aeron, Karen… That Assassination run.” The four named Tenno nodded and left. “Olim, Mori, Two…yours is the Capture.” The Frost Prime, Saryn and Banshee all nodded and left as well. “Saun, Lilly, help that team hitting the Grineer Galleon.” The Nova and Frost nodded and left as well. “Brianna, Amelia?”

“Are you ready to try again?” Brianna asked, still watching Kori who hadn’t moved.

“Kori needs help more than I do.” The Prime said quietly. Kori gave a squeak and went still as he laid a hand on her arm. “Did I hurt her?”

“I…” Kori gave a gulp but did not move as Brianna and Ric moved to stand beside her.

“No.” Ric said quietly as he took Kori’s other arm. “She feels she owes you.” The Prime shook his head and Ric shrugged. “Her feelings, not mine. I agree, but… not quite as strongly as she does.”

“Ric!” Kori protested, but did not try to draw away.

“Kori, you are being irrational.” Brianna said calmly. “We know it. You know it. Calm down.” She said quietly.

“I was scared of Nikis.” Kori sounded sour now. “Can you blame me?”

“Everyone sane is scared of Nikis, Kori.” Karl said mildly from where he stood. The woman in the medical garb was walking towards Kori as well. The other girl had vanished. “I am pretty sure he scares himself. It is what he is. What he does. He uses fear as his most powerful weapon.”

“I know.” Kori agreed. She looked up into the faceplate of the Prime and nodded. “You helped me. Perhaps I am being irrational. Perhaps I am losing my mind again. But I wish to swear to you.” The Prime recoiled away from her.

“No!” He snapped. All eyes went to him as the huge Rhino Prime literally stumbled away from the much smaller Nyx. “Sister Kori, no. I am not a Master. I helped you and I am glad I did. But… There is something wrong.” She stared at him, her posture going limp and he shook his head. “Sister, think! Are you free to take service with me?” Kori hissed and stared wildly from him to Ric and back. “No.” He said quietly, regaining his balance. “Your oath is to another. Do not trample on one oath out of a need to repay that which was given freely.” He slumped a bit. “I have hurt you.”

“I…” Kori swallowed hard and shook her head. “No, I feel… I…”

“Sister Kori, I did something to you.” The Rhino Prime said quietly. “I don’t know what. You were hysterical and you needed the help, so it was a good thing to do. But… I don’t know what I did.”

“You got past her depression.” Brianna said with a nod as Amelia and the other medical person came close. “You got her past her depression. It was very well done.”

“I had worried that I had taken control of you somehow, Sister Kori.” Kori inhaled in shock at the Rhino Prime’s words. The others went still. “I don’t think I did. But I don’t know. And until I do… Sister, you are better off far away from me.”

“No!” Kori shook off the hands that held her and stepped towards the Rhino Prime, only for him to retreat a step. “It isn’t like that.”

“We don’t know that, Sister Kori.” The Rhino Prime said quietly, bending down to kneel against the wall.

“I do.” Kori sank to her knees as well. “You forget, I am what I am. I have lost a lot of who and what I was. But I do know the feeling of others taking control from me.” Brianna gave a small cry and tears were falling, but neither the Nyx nor the Rhino Prime looked at them. “You did not take control from me.” Her voice was quiet. “You allowed me to see when I could not. You showed me the way out of the gray fear that pervaded my mind.”

“Be that as it may, I cannot take your oath, Sister Kori.” The Prime said, striving for calm. “You are sworn to another.”

“She is sworn to my Order.” Ric corrected him carefully and shrugged as the Prime glanced at him. “Not to me. If she wishes and you concur, she is within her rights.”

“I cannot concur.” The Rhino said as Kori stared at him, mournful form her body language. “I don’t know who I am. I would not be a good Master.” Those words… sang in him for a moment and he paused. Something felt… right about those words. “I am sorry, Sister Kori. I cannot accept your oath.”

“I understand.” Kori said after a moment. “I do not agree. And… Until you leave this dojo, I would… aid you here.”

“Sister Kori…” The Rhino Prime complained, looking at Karl who stood like a white statue. “Clan Leader Karl?”

“Kori wronged the clan.” Karl said quietly. “Very badly. She used her powers both on another member of the clan and on beings under our protection.” The Rhino Prime winced at that. No wonder she was being punished. “No one was killed, but the psychological trauma is slow to fade.” Kori bowed her head, silent. “That said, she has complied with every restriction. Done every punishment. She has never complained nor has she quit. Until she was accosted by Nikis, we were cautiously optimistic about her recovery.” Karl’s head slowly shook. “Her relapse is our responsibility.”

“No!” Kori jerked, staring at the white armored Rhino. “No… I…”

“Kori.” The clan leader’s voice was gentle now. “We cannot take you out of your warframe. There was too much damage.” The Prime looked from the other Rhino to the Nyx and back. “You need help, sister.”

“I am scared.” The Nyx admitted. “I hate the feeling. It’s wrong. But I am scared.” The Prime bowed his head and then rose. “Wha-?” She asked as he stepped close to her.

“I cannot take you oath, sister Kori.” The Prime said gently. “But I know fear all too well.” He knelt before her, within reach. “Without fear, courage cannot exist. You can pass beyond your fear. If you wish it.”

“The normal mantras don’t help.” Kori begged.

“I don’t know what I did.” He took her hands in his own and held them as he shook. The three medics stepped close, scanners in hand. “I don’t know what I did.” He repeated to them.

“You punched through Kori’s depression.” Brianna said as she knelt down beside Kori, her arm circling the now crying Nyx’s shoulders. “You got through to her. That was a good thing. The fear…” She paused. “This is odd.”

“What?” Amelia and the other medic had scanners out and going as Brianna scrutinized her scanners.

“Her theta waves are all off.” Brianna said, confused. “That shouldn’t be. Easy Kori.” She hugged the crying Nyx as she worked her scanner. “This isn’t… Amelia…? Iriana?” She asked, concerned.

“Kori.” The medic that the Prime did not know spoke. This had to be Iriana. “What do you feel? Right now?”

“Scared, Healer Iriana.” Kori said weakly. “Cold. Dark and…cold…” The three medics shared a glance that the Prime could not identify but then the one called Iriana made a hand gesture he knew. ‘Hold her’.

The Prime gently tightened his grip and the Nyx did not react. Amelia produced a device that hummed as she laid it against Kori’s head and the results were dramatic. Kori screamed and tried to jerk out of the Prime’s grip, but there was no way she could. Brianna hung into her shoulders for dear life as the Nyx bucked and twisted. Iriana pulled a stunner from a pocket and slapped it against Kori’s helmet, but the warframe clad Tenno seemed not to notice!

“What the hell?” The Prime spoke for everyone as Kori tried to break loose. She seemed to be acting totally on instinct. “Doc!”

“Up the power, Iriana!” Amelia snapped, grabbing hold of the Nyx’s shoulders with Brianna. “We have to put her out before she hurts herself!”

Iriana’s face was set in a grim line as she turned a control and her stunner glowed with energy before she applied it. Kori gave a shrill scream that sounded nothing like her own voice and collapsed in a heap. The Prime laid her down gently with the help for the two doctors. He noted that both Karl and Ric had been ready to jump in if needed. He made sure the Nyx was lying comfortably on the floor before rising and stepping to where the other males stood.

“She was…” The Prime shook himself. “That wasn’t her, was it?”

“I don’t know.” Karl said softly. “I don’t think so.”

“Damn.” The Prime cursed softly. “Did I do that to her? Hurt her so badly that her mind fractured?”

“It wasn’t you.” Ric shook his head. “She was fine last night. Very emotional, but… other than that, fine. That wasn’t her.” The Vauban agreed. “Look, we checked her over completely before we put her to bed. All you did was calm her down. You showed her the truth, she accepted it. That is all you did. You did not take control. You did not hurt her. Brianna looked very carefully.”

“Ric is right.” Iriana had stepped away from where Amelia and Brianna were tending the still Nyx now. “I looked over what her scans were yesterday morning and what they were this morning. You didn’t hurt her.” The Prime shook his head and Iriana’s tone hardened. “Trust me. If you had hurt her, you and I would be having words right now.” He bowed his head, even with limited memory, he knew he would not win an argument with this Healer.

“Then what happened?” The Prime demanded. “That… That didn’t seem like the Tenno I met yesterday. She acted… off.”

“We all saw it. The difference.” Iriana agreed. “It’s nothing…blatant. But it is there. And until I saw the theta waves, I couldn’t be sure of what it was. I haven’t seen that for a while. Not since the mess with Serene and Two. A cognitive dissonance.”

“A cognitive dissonance?” The Prime snapped, then chuckled and continued only half in jest. “Are you saying she is possessed?” Iriana… did not smile.

“Yes.”