Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fanfiction] Schisms

Kalenath

So, I'm going to go out on a limb here and take a guess at what's happening (Never a good idea in Kale's stories, but meh, fan theories and such)

Tenno Emulation Project seems to be the core here. Going by the info in an earlier chapter, Orokin was preassured quite heavily during the war and needed some way to turn it around. Hayden Tenno does not want to support, going by the mission he set forth - Only dealing in matters related to the Technocyte virus. TEP happens, war turns around etc. That's what we've got so far.

Here is where I'll guess. Hayden might've not supported the Orokin, but Richard wanted to. Going by his description from Nikkis of being a "Paladin", most likely due to the amount of suffering and death that could be prevented. He breaks with Hayden (Which most likely would lead to Hayden's "strained" relationship with him) and decides to support Orokin. Focusing on preventing death and suffering, he helps Orokin with the TEP, willingly or not. Nikkis seems to be a guy focused on doing what he feels is right - And using (Or being - He's old enough to be a "true" Tenno, imo) a Nekros, he most likely has a special relationship with death. He might support the TEP to help civilians and spare them.

For unknown reasons, Richard ends up with amnesia and frozen in a cryopod, leading to current events. Going by official lore and the fact that Nikkis has sworn to say nothing of what happened, the complete downfall of the Orokin Empire could've been caused by the resulting Tenno from the TEP - We know it happens because of Tenno (Stalker's Codex page), yet he supports Richard. Once again, going by his paladin demanour, Richard most likely caused the amnesia to himself and swore everyone who knew of what he did to silence, due to shame. All in all, Richard could be the "Father" of all modern Tenno.

Or Kale could go a completely different route with this story, since that seems to be his thing with our guesses :P

Returning

The sheer shock of seeing the hard-bitten Tenno gunfighter not just collaborating with the odd beings who had taken control of the colony, but helping them, calling one ‘darling’ with heartfelt fondness, had rocked the Prime to his core. The golden field released him and movement appeared all around.

“Get them to the Infirmary.” A strong male voice said as the gurney underneath the Prime started moving again. “We have the others. The girl is a mess, but we were in time.”

“Thank the ancestors.” Rachel sounded so very sad. “I was scared we would lose her.”

“You okay, Rachel?” The male voice asked.

“No.” The odd female replied. “Nikis showed himself.” A gasp went up all around. “They will know. But… he wouldn’t come.” Her voice was abject now.

“Rachel.” The male voice was gentle now. “You of all people know that nothing can sway that old fart from his chosen course of action. And anyone who tries…” He gulped. “Say what you will about the False, they are generally not stupid. Crossing that gunfighter is stupid.”

“Doesn’t make it any easier, Carlos.” Rachel said sadly. “But… it is done. We clear?”

“No traces on our portal. No signs of anyone following us.” Another voice called. “We are clear.”

“Okay.” Rachel gave a sigh and then she was in Richard’s line of sight again. “The Nyx is asleep, but Richard is awake. Don’t take any chances. He doesn’t remember us.”

“What did those Orokin scum do?” The male –Carlos- bit out.

“We don’t know.” Rachel shook herself. “Richard, please. Let us work. We won’t hurt you, or Kori.”

“Right.” Richard said with a snap. “Like the Ash didn’t hurt her? Getting shot and stabbed doesn’t hurt at all, does it?”

“We don’t know what happened, Richard!” Rachel snapped right back. “Nik was… always a bit bent. But that was extreme.” The male voice gave a gasp and Rachel sighed. “Nik is dead. He attacked the Nyx, tried to kill her.”

A chorus of ‘In the name of the First…’ ‘Why?’ ‘What the-?’ ‘You are kidding…’ went around the room. Rachel just shook her head.

“We don’t know what happened.” Rachel laid a gentle hand on the Prime’s arm. “We need to find out. But for now… Welcome home, Richard.” He just glared at her and she sighed. “We will make it as comfortable for you as we can. But we have to protect ourselves too.” The Prime did not reply and she sighed again. “Get him to the infirmary. Bellina will want to see him. Take no chances.”

“Yes, Ma’am.” Carlos replied evenly. The gurney moved again and the voice followed. “Wow… it really is you. We had almost given up hope.” Richard did not reply and the man laughed. “Still silent and stoic, huh? You used to act that way to make us think. Guess something things never change.” A hum sounded and the gurney passed through a door. “Doc?”

“Damn…” A male voice sounded and another white garbed form appeared in the Prime’s vision. “It really is him.”

“Don’t release him.” Carlos warned. “He doesn’t remember us.”

“Well, crap.” The doctor said mildly. The medic stepped close and something touched the Rhino on the skull. He was suddenly… calm. Not dazed, not unaware, but…calm. “There. Gentler than a stunner.”

“When he gets loose, I don’t want to be anywhere in the area.” Carlos commented. “The girl?”

“Hopefully, we can explain before that.” The doc replied, somewhat uneasily. “The little girl is in surgery. She should make a full recovery, but we had to flush the nanites.”

“Keep her sedated?” The other sounded worried now.

“We can’t.” The doc replied. “Too much chance for complications. We can keep her controlled…”

“You put a collar on her and Rachel will have your &#!!” Carlos said with a snarl. ”And the rest of us will be right behind her. She is a kid!”

“A kid of the False.” The doctor said with a sigh. “And yes… I agree. But what else can we do? Having a little girl running around here would not be the best idea, would it?”

“Geez…” Carlos groaned. “No, but… We need to think of something. They are not animals. The whole idea was to keep them all asleep until we could send them back.”

“Well, we can’t keep her asleep or it may hurt her.” The doc said with a sigh. “Or worse. Her cranial arteries have been seriously weakened by this. She fought hard. Five years old and a fighter.” Pride mixed with worry in his voice now.

“You are overthinking this, Roger.” A new voice sounded. Female. Old, but… clear. No weakness sounded in it.

“Milady… I…” The doctor sounded ashamed. “I don’t… There are a lot of things here that would be dangerous to her if she got loose.”

“Then don’t.” The female voice said mildly. “Explain what is happening and why. She is a kid. She likely isn’t stupid. Is she, Richard?” The voice was moving closer, but he couldn’t see the speaker.

“No.” Richard managed to get the negative out past whatever was holding him quiescent. The voice… was so familiar it hurt. It hurt so bad. “Who…?”

“You don’t remember.” The sadness in the voice was so much. It was so powerful that the Prime felt tears threaten. “We knew they would hurt you, but… We had no idea. You told us not to resist, that we were not there to kill kin, but…” She was crying. That pulled Richard up, made him try his bonds again. “No, don’t struggle.” A hand found his. It felt…wrong. Small and soft. But… at the same time, it felt right. “I am sorry, Richard. For everything.”

“Don’t cry.” The Prime said as strongly as he could. Wasn’t very strong. “Whatever I did, I did.”

“No.” The woman said sharply. “You did as your oaths and honor dictated. You had no way of knowing that the Emperor sent a liar to ‘negotiate’ with us.”

“This sounds like a hell of a story.” The Prime said quietly.

“It is.” The woman said just as quietly. “Honor, duty, loyalty… betrayal, disgrace…” The hand traced up his arm to touch his faceplate. “Oh, Richard…” She was crying again. “After all this… You will be so mad at me…”

“I don’t remember you.” The Prime said softly. “I… wish I did, but I don’t.”

“Doc?” The woman begged.

“I will do some scans, Lady Bellina. But…” The doc did not sound hopeful. “You know what they did to their test subjects.”

“If we can fix it, we must.” The woman called Bellina said with a sigh. “Things are coming to a head. Richard found, Nikis discovered, Nik gone insane… I…”

“It is not your fault, Milady.” The doctor said gently. “But you need downtime now.”

“Can I stay here, doc?” Bellina asked, pleaded. “I won’t get in the way.”

“Milady… He doesn’t believe us.” The one called Carlos was not arguing. He was simply facts. “He will try to escape. Even if he isn’t trying to hurt you, he could. We cannot lose you, Milady.” There was no disguising the fear for her in his voice.

“I am only one, Carlos.” Bellina said mildly, with just the hint of a sniffle. “The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one. Richard… I… If I ask for you oath to not harm anyone, would you give it?”

“I am a prisoner.” The Prime tried for exasperation, but whatever was calming him kept him from it. “Why should I trust?”

“Because you are not a prisoner.” The woman said fondly. “You are my husband. You don’t remember it and I understand your reluctance. How about this… We will release you so that you may guard your friends. Kori is… There is something wrong with her. We are trying to ascertain what.” The Prime went still and the woman sighed. “We will not harm her. You have my word, Richard. What do you feel when I say that?” She asked.

“I feel…” The Prime sighed deeply. “I think you are to be trusted. But my trust has been abused.”

“I know.” Bellina said quietly. “And so… Carlos, Doctor, out.” This last was a command.

“Milady!” The doctor said sharply.

“Out.” Bellina’s word was stern and forbidding. “Now.” A door hissed and then the lady’s voice turned sad. “All this time… I had given up hope. Now… I have it back.”

The Prime felt the hand move to his skull. The object on his head was removed. His emotions were free. Then… His limbs were. He sat up slowly and turned to see an old, old woman sitting in a wheeled chair beside the gurney he lay on. She bowed her head.

“I wish I had taken Lynn and the others up on their offer of a warframe now.” The woman said, sitting back in her chair, her hands folding in her lap. “I didn’t feel worthy of it. Now…” She slumped. “Do what you will with me. My time grows short either way. But trust… is hard to reestablish.” The Prime swung his legs off the gurney but then did not move further.

“You would sacrifice yourself for what you believe is right?” The Rhino asked slowly, carefully.

“I had a good role model.” Tears were falling again. “The best. I never deserved you. Never.” Her voice was abject now. “I tried to do what you would have wanted. It was hard. So hard. I wanted to send the others out to get you back. They begged me to go after you. But you wouldn’t have wanted that.” She slumped in place. “This is the only argument I have. If it is not enough…” She trailed off as the Rhino reached out and took her hands in his very, very gently.

“It is pretty persuasive.” The Rhino said with a gentle chuckle. “I wish I remembered you.” His right hand went up to brush the tears from her wrinkled face. “Don’t cry. Whatever you did… I don’t know if it can fixed, or if it should be. But I don’t like seeing you cry.”

“You never did.” Bellina said sadly. “I can’t leave the chair now. It’s life support.”

“Then I will sit with you.” The Rhino said quietly. “But I would like an explanation.”

“You are owed that and so much more.” Bellina said quietly. “But first…” She turned her chair and hit a pad on the armrest. Two screen slit up on the wall. One showed Kori asleep in a small room. It wasn’t –quite- a cell. On the other, Mary lay in what was obvious an ICU, connected to many forms of medical equipment. “Do you wish to see them in person? Neither will wake soon. Both show signs of extreme exhaustion.”

“The screen will do. For now.” The Rhino said mildly. “Obviously we knew one another.”

“We did.” Bellina smiled a bit wistfully. “I was a physicist and you were my assistant as well as my husband. We found an odd golden portal. The… horrors beyond it nearly consumed us. If not for the First Tenno and his colleagues, we would have been lost.” The Rhino stiffened and she nodded. “You took the name Rhino. You wanted to scare the enemy who took me, who had me under their mind control. You were always stronger than I was.”

“Strength comes in all sizes and shapes.” The Rhino said gently. “So…”

“So, we had both been changed.” Bellina patted his armored forearm. “You externally. Me in my mind. I was… a mess. But the Tenno were kind and gentle. The offered me a warframe, but I did not believe myself worthy of it.”

“No one ever does.” The Prime said quietly. Bellina smiled fondly at him. “What?”

“You said the exact same thing.” Bellina chuckled. “Many times. But I was so stubborn. I am not human anymore. I wasn’t after the Chosen had their mitts on me. I age, but very slowly and the damage used to be correctable.”

Used to be?” Rhino asked quietly.

“I am wearing out.” Bellina said quietly. “Even cloned organs can only stave off total failure for a time. In the case of Tenno medical science, for a long, long time. But not forever.”

“Are you sick?” The Rhino asked, concerned.

“No.” Bellina grimaced slightly. “They won’t let me get sick. Or do anything anymore…” She said sourly. “Age hath it’s perks among the Tenno.”

“You have been around since Hayden Tenno was the Leader of the Tenno.” The Rhino said slowly. “And me as well?”

“Tenno in warframes do not age.” Bellina said quietly. “With care, you can literally live forever. Not that the enemies of the Tenno let that happen.” Hate sang in her tone now and the Rhino recoiled. “So many friends… lost to hate, to fear, to stupidity…” She bowed her head and tears were falling again. “At least… I see you again. That is more than I had hoped or prayed for.”

“What happened?” The Rhino asked after a moment. “It was during the war, yes?”

“What happened to you was, yes.” Bellina said with a sigh. “But the root of the problem lay far, far before.” The Rhino cocked his head and she frowned. “You see… When the Tenno were first founded, we had once cause. Defend humanity from the Technocyte Virus.”

“The First’s Call.” The Rhino agreed. “I remember that. From the Codex.”

“And from you and Hayden beating the snot out of too many fools to count who were trying to play with it.” Bellina said sourly. “The problem was… After a time, people got the hint. If they toyed with the Virus, they died. People kept doing it all the way up to the Sentient War, but… Not as many. The downside was that the ones who did were generally prepared for Tenno intervention. That is why we lost so many kin…” She bowed her head again. “It took time, but… by the time that Hayden passed and you took over… We had less than two dozen kin here.” The Rhino looked at her and she scowled. “The maximum we had on census was a hundred and seven.”

“Ouch.” The Rhino said with feeling. “So… What happened?”

“There was nothing in the Code that forbade Tenno from leaving the Citadel.” Bellina said with a sigh. “Many did. Some left to pursue other careers, some to work as peacekeepers or knights errant in the case of that wacko Rikard. Some went into service with the Orokin Emperors.”

“The Royal Guard…” The Rhino mused and Bellina nodded. “So…”

“We kept to ourselves.” Bellina said with a shrug. “We were not a secret society, although some painted us as such. The problem was… the Sentients came.”

“Yes.” The Prime agreed. “I remember… some…”

“Many Tenno wanted to fight.” Bellina said with a sigh. “The problem was…”

“The First’s command said nothing about fighting a war.” The Rhino said with a gulp and Bellina nodded. “What happened?”

“Some left.” Bellina bowed her head. “A few of them…survived. Nikis was one of them. His son Dustin was serving as a Caretaker, but Nikis was always a fighter. Anytime, anywhere.”

“That old coot is too stubborn to die.” The Rhino said with a laugh. But then he sobered. “What did I do?”

“You… found out something that the Orokin had done.” Bellina said with a gulp. “No one knew. No one. It was… a hell of a shock.” The Rhino looked at her and she sighed. “You have been in virtual worlds, yes?”

“Yes.” The Rhino wasn’t sure where Bellina was going with this.

“You have seen the shades of our kin.” Bellina’s words were not a question, but the Rhino nodded anyway. “What if I told you… they were slaves?” The Rhino went totally still and Bellina nodded. “I will… give them the benefit of the doubt. I don’t want to. Maybe they didn’t know. Maybe they didn’t know they were forcing the souls of our kin into slavery. Maybe our kin actually did decide to do it. But no one told us. Not until we had a sorely hurt Tenno return from one of the first skirmishes. She died on the operating table and they could not get her back. But then… a golden shade of her appeared in the middle of the medical bay, screaming for help. Then she vanished.”

“Oh my god…” The Rhino said slowly.

“We… didn’t know what was happening.” Bellina said softly. “So we investigated. What we found… Thousands of shades of our kin. Maybe millions… Enslaved. To act as the guardians for the Orokin afterlife. Their ‘Game’.” She shook her head. “We um… did not react well.”

“What did you do?” The Rhino asked softly.

“We pulled in every Tenno we could contact, which wasn’t many.” Bellina said quietly. “Then we severed our connections with the Orokin.”

All of them?” The Rhino asked, then shook himself. “Of course… Of course you did… Such a betrayal…”

“The Orokin of course wondered what had happened.” Bellina said with a sigh. “They sent emissaries. We asked questions and the emissaries stonewalled us.” The Rhino groaned and Bellina nodded. “We threw them out. You and me. We were the leaders. The buck stopped with us and all that. We closed the gates and ignored all communications. We wanted to talk to the Emperor and he didn’t want to talk to us.”

“And then?”

“Then the Emperor came calling.” Bellina’s voice held hate now. “Those nanobots that you encountered? We got them from him. Or rather, from his representative.”

“What did he do?” The Rhino begged.

“He sent a double to ‘open negotiations’.” Bellina said sourly. “What we didn’t know was that the double was carrying a small satchel filled with those nanobots. The idea, as best we could determine, was that if Tenno could not be trusted… He would make Tenno who could be.”

“You have to be kidding me…” The Rhino breathed, horrified.

“The Tenno Emulation Project.” Bellina said softly. “You asked Rachel about it? The Orokin decided to play god and devil at the same time...”

So... Kal has made something like 8 fanfictions (someone feel free to count), during which time he's helped us learn to love Karl and the others, respect what's left of the Orokin Empire and even sympathise with them, be guardedly respectful of the Infested and even feel bad about killing brainwashed Corpus rank & file.

After all that, now he decides to reveal to us that everything we've learned is based on a massive deceit carried out by the last Emperor and that even Hayden might not be trustworthy?

I've said that he's a good writer before but... That's a twist.

So... Kal has made something like 8 fanfictions (someone feel free to count), during which time he's helped us learn to love Karl and the others, respect what's left of the Orokin Empire and even sympathise with them, be guardedly respectful of the Infested and even feel bad about killing brainwashed Corpus rank & file.

After all that, now he decides to reveal to us that everything we've learned is based on a massive deceit carried out by the last Emperor and that even Hayden might not be trustworthy?

I personally think hayden does not have the entire story...

If that makes him trustworthy or not... who the hell knows but kale. :|

Angry Science

“It seemed like a reasonable thing.” Bellina said quietly. “The Emperor wanted to talk, to find out why we had retreated.” She sighed deeply. “We were so trusting. So… naïve.”

“So… this representative brought with him a bunch of those nanites.” The Prime –he still didn’t think of himself as Richard- said slowly. “And then?”

“None of us expect an attack.” Bellina said sadly. “It had been so long since anyone had dared to attack the Citadel… It seemed improbable in the extreme. But it happened.”

“So… You and…” The Rhino said slowly.

“Everyone was affected within minutes.” Bellina said sourly. “Say what you will about the Orokin, but they did know how to build tech. We were sedated. Not controlled. Btu still… When we woke… You were gone.”

“They took me?” The Rhino asked, dumbfounded.

“Yeah.” Bellina said softly. “We figured out what happened very quickly. We found a bunch of the nanites and dissected them. For what it is worth, they were not trying to kill anyone. Mila died as a result of falling. She broke her neck and expired before we woke. She wore an Ember warframe…” Bellina was obviously trying not to cry now. “Such a good kid. Gone. And not in battle. No. Slain by cowards with no chance to fight back.”

“They wouldn’t have just taken me.” The Rhino said slowly, trying to wrap his mind around such a monumental betrayal. “What else did they take?”

“Every design we had.” Bellina said with a snarl. “Warframes, weapons, equipment. They hacked our databases and made off with a large chunk of them.”

“So the Prime warframes…” The Rhino rubbed his armored forearm reflexively. Bellina smiled and alid her hand on his arm.

“The Prime warframes are the evolution of the original designs. Yours had been modified quite a bit over the centuries and you shared the improvements.” Bellina smiled, suddenly looking younger. “You never slacked on protecting our kin.”

“So…” The Rhino said slowly. “They stole the designs for warframes. That wouldn’t have done them any good. To use them, you have to…” He paused and gulped. “They didn’t…” He shook his head savagely. “Tell me they didn’t infect people with Virus!”

“They didn’t.” Bellian reassured him. “”What they did was horrific enough. They took people who had been exposed to the Void. Regular humans.” The Rhino winced at that and Bellina nodded. “Without sophisticated shielding and a healthy dose of luck, humans are… twisted by the Void.”

“I know.” The Rhino agreed. “So… How many?”

“We don’t know.” Bellina said quietly. “Dozens at the very least. There is… some question as to how… some of them were exposed and for how long.” The Rhino looked at her and she shrugged. “They had no shortage of volunteers. There was a war on and they were losing.”

“So… They took those unfortunates.” The Prime said slowly. “And… what?”

“They made Prime warframes for the first group those people.” Bellina made a face. “I guess it is a good thing that prime warframes demanded exotic materials that even Orokin found very scarce. They… streamlined the designs. Dumbed them down. Made them easier to produce.”

“So all the warframes that we see now…” The Prime said slowly.

“The Orokin made the first ones.” Bellina said with a nod. “The False started to make them quickly.”

False?” The Rhino said softly. “They follow the Code, Bellina. Not all well, and not all without stumbles from what I gathered. Are they false because their ancestors were made?”

“Ah…” Bellina sighed deeply. “We have called them that since we found out about them.” Bellina said with a wince. “Nikis actually brought the word. He was… angry. Angrier than I had ever seen him. Our oath was to protect humanity and humanity abused us.”

“Bellina…” The Prime said gently. “A section of humanity abused you… us…” He took her hands in his and gave them a gentle squeeze. “Not all.” He shook his head. “Nikis said I need to end this schism. And I think I know where to start.” He rose from the bed and moved to kneel by her chair, still holding her hands. “Let go of this hate, Bellina. It suits you ill.”

“We tried to get you back.” Bellina was crying again. “We hit the place where they had you. Hard and fast. We didn’t use lethal force. We used some of the Orokin nanobots to infiltrate the labs. We couldn’t get to you. The scientists had you locked down. We put the nanobots in, hoping that they could free you. They couldn’t.” She was shuddering and the Prime held her gently. “They called us traitors. Said you were a traitor. You weren’t.” She sobbed into his embrace. “When we wouldn’t leave… They started shooting…”

“Oh no…” The Prime shuddered. “How many?”

“We lost four.” Bellina said sadly. “All of the human guards died. The remaining humans called the Royal Guard. They came in shooting. I… I don’t know how many we…“ She slumped a bit into the Rhino’s arms. “And you know the worst part? The absolute worst part?”

“Bellina… be calm.” The Rhino begged her.

“You didn’t want to fight.” Bellina swallowed hard. “You never wanted to fight. Hayden trusted you because you never left the Citadel. You were good leader because you wanted the best for us. All of us. You were no coward, but you didn’t want to kill people!” The Rhino went still. “The ancient term was… ‘conscientious objector’. You didn’t think the war was right. You didn’t deny others the chance to fight, but you didn’t want to. You had your duty. To us. To the Code. It was enough. And they took it from you!” This last was a scream.

“Bellina.” The Rhino said sternly. “Be calm. Easy…” He held her and she sobbed. Fianll, she quieted a bit. “So… How did you get the nanobots into me?”

“We didn’t.” Bellina said with a small, sad smile. “We put them in your axe. When the Royal Guard drove us away… Well, actually we retreated when they pushed into our lines, threatened to cut us off from escape…” She shook her head. “We left your axe. We didn’t know if they would give it to you or not. But it was worth a shot.” Now her face turned feral. “We returned the Emperor’s present to the lab computers too. The whole place went haywire as we fled. We didn’t know if you survived or not. Not until we started receiving signals from the nanobots.”

“And you took control.” The Rhino’s voice went flat.

“We didn’t.” Bellina said earnestly. “We don’t know what happened. The nanobots were supposed to be under your control. But… they were not. We received signals about a rebellion in a colony and staretd to investigate cautiously when the Orokin AI cut coms.”

“The Lotus.” The Prime mused. “So… You stay out of sight…”

“Since the day we lost you, yes.” Bellina said with a shrug. “Btu now… we are in the open again. They will come.”

“And then what?” The Rhino demanded. “Fight?”

“No.” Bellina said quietly. “if they attack, we are going to seal the door.”

“Seal the…?” The Rhino didn’t understand why that sent a bolt of fear through him. “What do you mean?”

“The Citadel was not just a physical building on the Motherworld.” Bellina was still quiet, but sadness arced through her tone now. “The First Tenno built it. He…” She shrugged. “It took a long time for the principles to become known but essentially, he opened a pocket of subspace. An alternate dimension. Kind of like the Void, if not quite so inimical.”

“Bellina…” The Prime said slowly. “If the Void is blocked off. The people within go mad. AIs, organics, Tenno… the result is the same. Without comprehensive protections like that sanitarium, everyone goes mad.”

“Only if they are awake.” Bellina corrected him with a tiny smile. The Prime stiffened and she nodded. “Yes, we have cryo facilities ready for everyone.”

“Even you?” He didn’t want to ask that. From his tone, that was patently clear.

“No.” Bellina said with a sigh. “My time is almost up, Richard. I am tired.” The Prime went stiff and she patted his arm. “They promise me it won’t hurt. That they won’t let me hurt.”

“No.” The Prime begged. “Bellina… Can’t you take a warframe?”

“No.” The ancient Tenno woman said gently. “My neural net is a mess, Richard. If I try to connect, I die quick, in horrible pain. This is better.”

“There has to be something we can do!” The Prime said sharply. “Cryo! Something!”

“Richard.” The woman patted his arm again. “It’s okay. I made my peace a long time ago. They were amazed that I woke from cryo the last time. I shouldn’t have.” The Prime was shaking his head and Bellina sighed. “Stubborn fool…” She said fondly. “Richard… I have everything I ever wished for.” She reached dup to cup his armored cheek with a hand. “I got to see you again.” She looked away for a moment. “They will need you… When I pass. They will need you.”

“I…” The Prime swallowed hard and then bowed his head. “There has to be something!”

“The only way that anyone has found to keep a part of me…” Bellina’s voice turned hard. “I won’t let them do. I won’t be a slave to those Orokin scum. I won’t let them play with me as they have been playing with the souls of so many of our kin.”

“I…” The Prime repeated and then paused. He shook himself hard, but was careful not to jar the od woman. “The Emulation…? They copied Tenno?”

“One of the things they took was a hard copy of the Code.” Bellina’s voice was fierce now. “We took it back, but they had made copies.”

“So… The people who volunteered…” The Prime really did not like this.

“We are not totally sure.” Bellina said quietly. “That is one reason we were glad to see you and Kori. Kori was one of them. One of the first group. The others… are descendants.” The Prime recoiled just a little.

“What will you do to her?”

“We are not the Orokin, Richard.” Bellina said with a hint of ice. “We will get her out of her warframe carefully and…”

”She can’t leave it!” The Prime protested. “It will kill her.”

“No.” Bellina promised him. “It won’t. We have seen such neural trauma before and can handle it. We will do a full baseline genetic scan. And then, when she wakes, we will ask her some questions.”

“Good luck. She won’t talk to you.” The Rhino Prime said sourly. “She barely talks to me sometimes.”

“I can be pretty convincing.” Bellina said with a smug grin. The Prime had to chuckle at that. Yes, she could. “But I would hope for your help too.”

“Mary and the other civilians?” the Prime asked after a moment’s thought.

“As soon as we are done with the scans and have healed the girl’s and the Elder’s wounds, we will send them back.” Bellina promised. “Kori can go if she wishes. As can you. I… I want you to stay, but I have no right to demand it of you. You don’t even remember me.”

“You are very convincing.” The Prime said with a sigh. “But I need to think on this.”

“Of course.” Bellina said with a smile. “I wouldn’t expect you to make such a decision in the space of seven breaths.” The Prime chuckled at that too. “Do you wish to remain with Kori? Mary is in the ICU and the docs won’t let her out any time soon.”

“Where is Mavri?” The Prime asked.

“In surgery.” Bellina said with a nod. “The docs are cautious but hopeful.”

“I would like to talk to him.” The male Tenno said after a moment.

“We were going to just send him back as soon as he was healed.” Bellina said, confused. “Why?”

“Bellina… Severing all contact with the outside is not the answer.” The Prime’s words were calm, but heartfelt. “Nikis said I need to end the schism. And I think I can start that here.”

“Richard…” The aged female sounded worried now. “We have hated the Orokin and the False for a long, long time. For the lives they took. For you.”

“Then maybe it is time to stop.” The Prime said gently. “Do not pass from this life angry, Bellina.”

“I…” The woman stared at him and then hugged him tight, crying. “I don’t know if I can stop.”

“Yes you can.” The Prime’s voice was feather soft now. “You just have to want it hard enough. Tenno do not fight Tenno and the ones you call the False are Tenno. They follow the Code and Nikis trained many of them.”

“I…” Bellina slumped and nodded. “A hard road.”

“Wouldn’t have it any other way.”

He was aware the moment that Kori woke. He had been sitting at her bedside since Bellina had gone for a rest period. One moment, Kori was deeply asleep, the next, she wasn’t. Her breathing did not change, but he could feel her scrutiny.

“Kori.” He said without preamble. “How do you feel?”

“Good.” Kori sai and then froze. “I…Wait… what…?” She stared down at herself, at the white patient gone that covered her instead of her warframe. “I… I couldn’t remove it!” Her tone was odd. Fear predominated, but anger came a close second. “What did they do to me?”

“They healed the neural trauma.” The Prime said easily. Kori stared at him, her eyes wide. “Welcome to the First’s Citadel, Kori.” Kori went completely still at that. “They have had a lot of practice with odd Tenno ailments.”

“By the ancestors…” She paused and smiled. “Literally.”

“I have something very odd to ask you, Kori.”  The Prime said softly.

“Are we prisoners?” Kori asked, staring around. The room was small and spartan in the extreme, but most Tenno did not go for comforts. It could have been a large cell, or a small one room apartment.

“Ah… Yes and no.” The Prime replied calmly. Kori favored him with a sour glance and he shrugged. “We are under surveillance and there is a guard outside. But they say you will be able to leave shortly.”

“Without my warframe?” Kori said with a snarl. “Fat chance.”

“Kori.” The Prime said sourly. “Do you really think I would make you bond to a new one just after your brain was healed? Sheesh…”

“I dunno.” Kori said with a wicked grin. “What about you?” She asked.

“I don’t know.” The Prime replied with a deep sigh. “I found out something that really bother me. And… yes… I was technically a traitor.” He had asked to see the records of the time and… it had been… bad. Worse than he had feared. “I did disobey a direct order from the Orokin Emperor to communicate.”

“I don’t believe it.” Kori went still. “What happened?”

“it’s a bit of a long story.” The Prime said with a grunt. “Bellina will be back in an hour or so. She tells it better than I can. She actually remembers it.”

Bellina?” Kori asked and then frowned. “I know that name. From… the Codex… Wife of the the… First…Rhino…” Her voice trailed off.

“Apparently I was. The First Rhino that is.” The Prime shrugged. “I don’t remember. The records are… extensive.”

“Records can be faked.” Kori wasn’t arguing. More like, she was trying to make sense of this sudden shift and the Prime could relate.

“True.” The Rhino paused and then sighed. “I need to ask you something, Kori. And it will… sound odd.”

“Okay.” Kori lay back, smoothing the white gown. “Go ahead.”

“Do you remember your parents?” At the Prime’s words, Kori went still. “It is very important.”

“Vaguely.” Kori was frankly staring at the Rhino now. “They died when I was very young. Why?”

“I found out what the Tenno Emulation Project was.” Kori hissed at that and the Rhino nodded. “You don’t want to know.”

“Do I need to?” Kori asked carefully.

“I don’t know.” The Prime admitted. “Um… You said that Will ‘became’ Tenno. I assume it wasn’t easy.” Kori scoffed at that and he nodded. “Kori… what is the very first thing you remember when you put on the warframe for the first time?”

“That was very long time ago.” Kori protested. “And I was captured, tortured and brainwashed in the interim.”

“I bet you remember.” The Prime said with a sigh. “Please. Try.”

“Okay…” Kori drawled out the word and then closed her eyes, thinking hard. “I was… I was in an Orokin medical facility. I was told that there had been a problem with my connection. That I had been unconscious for some time.” She shook her head, her eyes still closed. “It is… clear. Very clear…” She said in wonder. "Why?”

“The doctor’s name was R. Green.” The Prime said quietly. “The nurse’s name was Joyce.” Kori’s eyes shot open and she stared at him now. “They helped you get functional again quickly. Then you went out and went straight to the fight.”

“How the hell do you know that?” Kori asked, stunned. Instead of answering, the Prime slid a pad across to her. He had been studying it for a while and trying not to lose his lunch. The detail of the memories was astounding. Btu… none of it was real. “What is…” Kori’s words trailed off as she read. The writing matched what she had said and provided other things. “Joyce smelled of wood smoke…” Kori stared at the screen.

“She had an old style fireplace in her living quarters.” The Prime said from his memory of the reading. “The doctor liked to read ancient horror stories.”

“How…” Kori stammered. “What… What does this mean? My memories are false?”

“Yes.” The Prime was in motion as Kori started to scream. Then he was holding her as she wept out her grief and fear. “It’s okay, Kori.” He soothed her. “It’s okay. We will figure this out.”

“I was… made…” Kori stammered, clinging to the Prime’s warframe. “I was made…”

“Yes. You were.”

Oh you totes would, don't deny it~

I don't.

And Nikkis says the schism must end... To hell with Orokin! Let them be consumed by the biomass!!!

Richard was and is a far better person than I am. He wouldn't allow it. And do you think that the Infested would WANT them?

Why didn't the Royal Guard who came to arrest him in Karl's dojo open fire immediately? Why did that Trinity say she didn't know who the Ash was? Why did that Ash attack Kori? Something is... not right.

Stay tuned.

Edited by Kalenath

They did. the sons of *@##$es actually did what i thought they had.... THOSE BASTARDS!!!!!!!!

well at least they did if what belina says is true anyway if not i hope the nice orokin marines and their tenno friends won't try and hurt me too badly

Edited by evafan002

Family

“You don’t need to do this, Kori.” Bellina said gently, stroking the shuddering woman’s arm gently. “We can do it while you sleep. While you are in a dream state. It shouldn’t hurt physically either way, but…”

Kori had been adamant that she had to know what had happened. Nothing that anyone had said had swayed her from this course. The Rhino Prime was trying not to fret as the doctor finished the final connections to the metal skull cap that Kori wore. She was lying on a raised bed, her torso raised for comfort. Several machine monitored her condition sand others were ready in case of problems. She smiled at Bellina. Kori had liked the ancient Tenno woman as soon as she had met her.

“I need to know, Bellina.” Kori said with a sigh. She was obviously frightened, but controlled it well. “Let’s do this.” Bellina patted her arm and moved away from the chair where Kori lay.

“Okay.” Bellina nodded to the doctor who nodded and sat in a chair that had an odd console attached. Controls. A screen lit up on one wall and Bellina spoke again. Her tone was geared for calm. “Okay, Kori. Think back. What is the first thing you remember?”

“I woke in a medical facility.” Kori said slowly, her eyes slowly closing. Her voice lost all emotion as she focused on what she remembered. “It was… Orokin…”

“Were you in your warframe?” Bellina asked quietly.

“Yes.” Kori replied evenly. “This is… They told me I had been selected…” On the screen, a man in Orokin medical garb spoke to her. There was no sound but Kori spoke again. “They said I was exceptional…”

“Did they say how?” Bellina asked. Kori thought about that for a moment and then shook her head a little, careful not to mess up the helmet.

“No.” The reclining Tenno said with a gulp. “Just that I was exceptional.”

“After that?” Bellina’s voice was still soothing and the screen changed. Scenes of battle, of horror, of evil being played out against humanity shone on the screens and the Rhino found himself tensing.

“Went to war.” Kori gave a soft sob. “So much death and destruction… I…”

“Easy Kori.” Bellina soothed the now distraught younger female with a soft voice and a soft touch. “It’s okay. These are just memories. They can hurt you, but only if you let them. What happened when you found the one who calls himself Will?” the screen changed and a young human appeared on it. Scruffy looking and in need of a bath, but there was something about him...

“He sought the Tenno.” Kori said quietly. “He wanted to learn our ways. I told him and told him that it didn’t work that way, but he persisted. I finally took him to the Elders and they agreed to train him. Or at least give him a chance. He… did very well.” Kori sounded proud now. The doctor met Bellina’s gaze and nodded.

“Okay, Kori.” Bellina laid her hand on Kori’s now. “We have our baseline. Are you ready to delve into before?”

“I am scared.” Kori swallowed hard. “If… If I am just a cheap copy…”

“Kori, you are anything but cheap.” The Rhino said sharply. “Knock it off.” Bellina glanced at him, but Kori just chuckled.

“Yes, sir, Mr. Rhino Sir.” Kori said with a wicked grin and a laugh circled the room. “Anything you say.”

“Don’t make me hurt you.” The Rhino’s tone was humorous rather than threatening. Kori smiled and relaxed, which had been his intent.

“I am ready, Bellina.” Kori said, relaxing as much as she could.

“Good girl.” Bellina smiled and nodded to the doctor who hit a series of controls. Some of the machinery started to hum and Kori jerked a bit. “Kori…?”

“I…” Kori gasped and the screen flashed. “What…?” The screen stayed blank. “That is not good, is it?” She sounded a bit timid and who could blame her?

“No.” Bellina said sadly. “There is nothing there. Think of your parents, Kori. You say you remember them?” The screen flashed and a pair of people shone on it. But they were fuzzy, indistinct.

“I can’t see their faces.” Kori whimpered a bit and Bellina stroked her hand. “i… Do you see anything else?” The screen went black and stayed that way. Bellina sighed deeply.

“No. Damn them.” Bellina shook her head. “Shut it down.” The doctor nodded and Bellina slumped a bit in her chair.

“What did they do to me?” Kori begged. The doctor perused his readouts, looked at Bellina and shook his head sadly.

“You memory was wiped, Kori.” Bellina said sadly. “There is nothing we can do. After so much time, it is impossible to say how it was done. But the only way for your memories prior to the medical facility not to be there…” She trailed off.

“Is if someone removed them.” Kori complete the thought. “I… talked a lot with a lot of shrinks after… my mess. They… they looked at my memories to determine my guilt.” She slumped a bit as the doctor rose and started disconnecting her from the machinery. “So… what am I? A copy? A clone?’

“Nothing so simple.” Bellina waited until the doctor was done, then moved her chair closer to the bed so she could touch Kori’s cheek and wipe away the tears that were falling now. “You know what happens when cloning goes amok.” Kori hissed and Bellina nodded. “We are doing a full genetic workup, but the basis is done. You are not a clone, Kori.”

“Then what am I?” Kori demanded, but it was fear talking, not anger. The doctor finished up his wrk, nodded to Bellina and left the room.

“The Orokin put out a call for volunteers.” Bellina said with a snarl. “We found out about it second hand, through Nikis. He was asked to teach some of them. He… was a bit miffed.”

“I am surprised nobody died.” The Rhino said mildly. Bellina just looked at him and he winced. “Oh… I see.”

“Nikis is not one to tick off. And they did.” Bellina said with a smile that was more feral than friendly. “But eventually, he trained some of them in our ways. According to him, there were other teachers, some Orokin, some military. He… did not think highly of them. Their intelligence or their competence.”

“Teaching how to use Orokin technology and how to use weapons.” The Rhino mused. “But using the powers would be hit or miss.”

“More misses than hits, according to Nikis.” Bellina said dryly. Then her face fell. “The problem was… they had no idea what they were doing. Just handing people, even exceptional people…” She patted Kori’s hand. “…such power is a recipe for disaster and they found that out the hard way.”

“So if I am not a clone, what am I?” Kori asked, confused.

“Well…” Bellina smiled at her. “Nikis said that the Elders debated long and hard before allowing Will to train as a Tenno. What was it they said?” She mused. “If one followed the Code and lived as Tenno, then Tenno they be.” Kori stared ta her and Bellina’s mouth quirked a bit. “You have followed the Code, Kori.”

“I…” Kori swallowed hard. “I have fallen short. So many times I have failed to adhere to the Code. Made a fool of myself.”

“Join the club.” Bellina said with a laugh. Kori stared at her and Bellina’s smile became a grin. “You thinnk I am perfect? Kori, I am about as far from perfect as it is possible to be.”

“But…” Kori stammered, undone by Bellina’s humor. “You are one of the First.”

So?” The Rhino and Bellina said in unison and then chuckled in unison.

“So I am not in your class.” Kori said weakly.

“Kori…” Bellina took the reclining woman’s hand in both of her own. “Do you know why we use names now instead of calling people by their warframes?”

“Too many.” Kori replied instantly. “If you have a thousand Tenno in Rhino warframes, how will you know who to call ‘Rhino’?” She shook her head. “Will used the name Excalibur because he lost his memory. But he got it back. Most of it anyway.”

“That is it in a nutshell, Kori.” Bellina agreed. “You wear a warframe, you follow the Code as best you can. You may not be able to remember the parents who raised you, but you had them. And…” She shook her head. “I bet they would be proud of you.”

“I would hope so.” Kori said with a sigh. “So… Now what?”

“Do you want to go back?” Bellina asked kindly. “Your life, such as it was, is back with the others like you.”

“I am sworn to the one called Ricard.” Kori said firmly. ‘I have to go back.”

“Ricard?” Bellina inhaled sharply. “That lunatic is still around?” She chortled at Kori’s expression. “I changed his diapers, girl. Don’t even try.”

“He was born here?” Kori asked, dumbfounded.

“Yes.” Bellina’s face took on a faraway look. “We had more people back them. Some found comfort in each other’s arms. As long as everyone was happy, we didn’t judge. Very, very few were born infected. He was one.” Kori looked at her and then looked away. Bellina smiled, a slightly goofy look now. “And yes.”

The Rhino looked at her and then at Kori. Then understanding hit him like a ton of bricks. “You and Richard…”

“We were married.” Bellina said a bit primly. “By the time I got too puny for such things, we had great, great, great grandkids.” Both the Prime and Kori were goggling at her now and Bellina sighed. “None were infected. They went off to have their own lives with our blessing.” She slumped a bit now. “As far as I know… none survived the Collapse.”

“I am sorry.” Kori said quietly. “I know my own parents did not survive, but…” She broke off, clearly unsure of what to say.

“It’s okay, Kori.” Belllina smiled a bit wistfully now. “You met Rachel. She was the last one born here. You and Nikis stood as godparents for her, Richard.”

“Her parents?” Kori asked after a moment. Bellina bowed her head and Kori flushed. “I am sorry.”

“Everyone lost in the Collapse.” Bellina said quietly. ”But the worst part was that we lost people before it. And we have no idea at all what happened to them. They just… vanished.” Her com chimed and she made a face. “Excuse me.” She touched her ear and spoke into thin air. “Privacy mode.” Suddenly, they couldn’t hear her.

“This is… a lot of information.” Kori said to the Prime who nodded.

“You holding up okay?” He asked gently.

“Fair.” Kori grimaced, but it was comical. “Better than being locked in a psyche ward. I just wish I knew why that Ash shot me and stabbed me.” The Prime was about to reply when Bellina gave out a sound that was halfway between a strangled gasp and an incoherent cry of joy. “Bellina?”

“Kori…” Bellina’s face was pale as she turned back to look at the reclining woman. “I… Oh my god…” She was crying now. Hard. Kori sat up straight and reached for her. Bellina let Kori take her hands.

“What is wrong, Bellina?” Kori asked quickly, cradling the old woman’s hands gently.

“Nothing, dear Kori.” Bellina reached up with one hand and slowly traced Kori’s cheek. “I don’t know why Nik attacked you. We will have to find out. Soon.” She shook her head. “I can guess, but…” She laughed a little. “I am not making any sense, am I?”

“Was it good news?” Kori asked. “What you just found out?”

“The best possible news I could have hoped for.” Bellina said with a grin. “Of course… I am a bit worried about what karma has in store for me now. Getting Richard back and now… You…” She chuckled a bit ruefully. “Admittedly, a lot of the dumps that karma has dropped on us have been…extreme. Maybe this is karma’s way of balancing things out?” She shook her head. “I am rattled. This is…” She shook herself. “Someone wants to talk to you.”

“Who?” Kori asked softly.

“You haven’t met him, although Richard has.” Bellina said with a nod. “His name is Carlos. He is on his way.” The Prime went still. Something in her tone… Something was about to happen. Something wonderful. Bellina mock glared at the Prime. “You hush.”

“I wasn’t going to say anything!” The Prime protested then paused. “The Ash Prime who attacked Kori mentioned ‘Citadel rising’.” Bellina went still and he continued. “The nanobot controlled people said that Kori had to be ‘cleansed’.”

“There are those among us who feel that we should take back what was taken from us.” Bellina said quietly. “Our birthright. Our duty. Our honor. But those of us who feel that acting dishonorably will not bring honor have prevailed. Carlos is one of the ones who feel as I do. Even if we won the battles against the others… What then?”

“Some remnant of Orokin still survives.” The Prime said quietly. “I saw Royal Guard.”

“Avalon survived the Collapse.” Bellina said with a grunt. “I guess they have a new monarch since their old one fell prey to his own hubris. Some tools cannot be controlled.”

“Any weapon can turn in the hand if the wielder is unwary.” Kori said with a nod, then she yawned. “Whoa…”

“You have had a long and stressful day, Kori.” Bellina said with a smile. “I will leave you to rest. Carlos will be by in a few minutes. He wants to talk.” She jerked her head at the door and the Rhino nodded.

“I don’t understand.” Kori said with a wince as she lay back on the bed. “Why does he want to talk to me?”

“Carlos was taken by a cult when he was small boy.” Bellina said with a sigh. “The cult… were complete wackjobs. The called themselves the ‘Disciples of Mezner’.” Both Kori and the Prime hissed at that name and Bellina nodded. “They tried to start a new outbreak. They tried to make Infected and they succeeded.” Kori slumped a bit but Bellina smiled. “All but one of them died. The boy who survived became Tenno and joined us. His parents thought he was dead. So… They apparently had another child. A girl.”

What?” Kori’s face went dead white. “You are not serious!”

“Genetics don’t lie, Kori.” Bellina said with a smile. “Your older brother will be here in a moment.” Kori’s mouth fell open and Bellina laughed. “Close your mouth dear, you are attracting flies.”

“I…” The door chimed and Kori recoiled. “I… What do I do?” She begged.

“Talk to him.” Bellina said with a fond smile. “But know that whatever you choose to do, you have family here.” With that, she wheeled her chair to the door, which opened. An Oberon warframe stood just outside, his posture… worried. “Carlos.” Bellina’s voice was a command. “Be gentle.”

The Rhino Prime nodded to the Oberon as he followed Bellina out the door. The Oberon stepped in and the door hissed shut behind them.

“No offense…” The Prime said quietly. “But how far do you trust Carlos?”

“Yesterday, I would have said with my life.” Bellina mused. “But with Nik going bonkers and everything… the room has dampeners and surveillance systems in place. He can’t hurt her. Not that he would. Family is everything to him. Our family.” She let loose a sound of contentment and then nodded. “Mary is fully healed. She has been returned to her family and is sleeping soundly with them. All of our scans are done. The Elder should wake shortly.”

“I had better be there.” The Prime said with a grunt.

We had better be there.” Bellina agreed. “He was one of Nikis’ protégés. Smart and capable, according to the old coot anyway.”

“I only dealt with him for a little while.” The Prime agreed. “But yeah. He was smart.”

“Come on.” Bellina started her chair off and the trip was uneventful to a nearby room. In it, a single bed lay against one wall and Mavri lay on it. His skull had been shaved and the faint red of healing injuries shone. Bellina paused and then laughed sourly. “He is smart. He is awake already.”

“Elder.” The Prime said with a sigh. “I don’t know if you remember me or not.”

“You are memorable.” The Elder’s voice was weak, but clear. “I… That young man swung a pipe at my head…”

“You were very badly hurt.” The Prime said sadly. “The Lotus thought you dead.”

“Didn’t I tell you idiots ‘No Rescues’?” Mavri snapped, trying to sit up and then laying back with a groan.

They didn't. You need to take a bit more time, Elder.” Bellina said formally. “The damage has been healed, but you were very badly hurt. I am Bellina, leader here.”

“Mavri.” The Elder said as he turned to stare at the chair bound woman. “But you knew that. “Bellina…?” His eyes suddenly went wide. “Bellina?

“Yes.” Bellina said sadly. “I know. I know. I am a traitor just like Richard here.”

“No.” Mavri said with a sigh. Bellina went still and the Elder shook his head, wincing in apparent pain. “Neither of you are traitors. You followed the Code.”

“Fat lot of good it did us.” Bellina said sourly. “The Emperor screwed us.”

“No.” Mavri said softly. “The Emperor did not.”

Excuse me?” Bellina snapped. “I was kind of here. I saw it happen. Cleaned up the mess. Lost my husband and buried a friend because of it.”

“You lack information.” Mavri said slowly. “Would it help you to know that the one who robbed you was executed for it?” Bellina went still and Mavri sighed. “I saw it done. I was… just elevated to my rank. He was put to death. For causing the schism. For killing four of your people…” He shook his head. “It wasn’t the Emperor who did all that.”

“It was his representative!” Bellina snapped.

“Milady…” Mavri said slowly. “He didn’t send any representative.”

Edited by Kalenath

wait a second if he didnt send a Representative.... then who and why the hell... i mean what possible motive could anyone other than the emperor have for trying to create more tenno in such a fashion?.

I mean sure they were losing the war but attacking tenno?

if the plan somehow failed then you would have a lot of very angry tenno coming down on your hea...d.

Wait a second if the emperor didnt send a representative but someone claiming to be representing the empire turned up and stole warframe schematics and so on. Then maybe it was intended to push the tenno in to going after the one they perceived to be behind it? IE the emperor? If thats the case then the entire collapse was masterminded by someone?

Kal you magnificent son of a....

Edited by evafan002