Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Level Appearance Make No Sense - Ice In Venus?

MetaMortred

I hope you guys know that the Ice planet is for the Corpus, NOT Venus.

I hope you know you're trying to compare a planet with a faction.

Anyway I like to think that the Orokin created outposts on asteroids and stuff and altered the weather themselves. Like someone pointed out we aren't really on the actual planet because you are all over the star map.

LOL, this thread is silly.....

1) Ok, the direction of planetary orbit rotation bothers you, but not the SCALE? It's an artificial construction to represent the solar system, not an accurate MAP. Probably why the colors are off too... ;-P

2) Yeah, they have ice everywhere, but IF there was a 'dome'/'force-field' that could block solar radiation at that distance, it could be cold. I am assuming they are letting some of the energy through for light and Some heat....

3) Plants? Only if they brought them with them... Robotic Lifeform != Plants in any sci-fi I've seen.

I am ashamed that so many people are that picky.... LOL (not really)

The easiest answer is that Venus doesn't yet have its own tileset and uses assets for some other place. Europa, or something.

But long-term, setting the game in our own solar-system is going to be a bit of a realism/suspension-of-disbelief issue.

This entire topic is ridiculous, I mean seriously, were space ninjas fighting robots and genetically cloned soldiers in faster than light space ships. Why stress about an entirely moot issue when you can think of all the story possiblilities that could arise for those, such as the aforementioned ideas such as the bio-dome theory and the CO2 scrubbed idea? All in all, i still think it's cool that we even get outside environments, and there are probably still more to come.

This entire topic is ridiculous, I mean seriously, were space ninjas fighting robots and genetically cloned soldiers in faster than light space ships.

It's basic storytelling: You can get people to suspend their disbelief, but you have to craft a basis for it, a sort of author/reader contract.

For example, people will accept that the Grand Mage can teleport across the world, or that the spaceship has technology that makes it completely invisible without rendering its own sensors blind, but they won't accept that the ferocious carnivore just happened to have a heart attack and die right before it attacked the main character, or that the hacker guessed his enemy's password on the first try just by typing random letters, at least without some prior detail justifying it or one of the Rules listed below coming into play. What is in Real Life impossible just has to be made the norm in the setting and kept consistent.

The fact that a lot of people are mentioning it shows that the issue of Venus' polar-opposite climate (hah) is not something that was adequately hinted/explained/made-believable by the rest of the story.

Edited by HvcTerr

Probably just something they haven't gotten to yet. And they should, just to add some more flavor and variety to the game, but really, I'd like to see gameplay all figured out before any serious gripes about visuals start.

Though one thing, can the Devs just plain remove self destruct from groundside missions? "You destroyed the reactor, now this ship will self destruct!" Uh, Lotus? I'm on an outpost. On a planet. What, did they stack the whole place full of Space C4? Or maybe Ninja C4, since you enver see it.

It's basic storytelling: You can get people to suspend their disbelief, but you have to craft a basis for it, a sort of author/reader contract.

Exactly what I'm getting at here, we don't have near the full story yet, just check the FAQ and they state how they plan on adding a system of discovering lore and knowledge of the game's spectrum, which i assume will probably cover this while still making it a point of mystery, which creates a good story-telling kind of game, doesn't it?

they state how they plan on adding a system of discovering lore and knowledge of the game's spectrum, which i assume will probably cover this while still making it a point of mystery, which creates a good story-telling kind of game, doesn't it?

See, here's the problem: Certain things, like the whole-scale terraforming of planets to their opposite extremes, would be common-knowledge, and definitely something that even an amnesiac cyberninja would be briefed about before, y'know, being dropped into one of its snowbanks on a mission.

"Why is Venus filled with ice?" is the kind of question a storyteller *ought* to see coming in advance and deliberately handle somehow. That might mean explaining/hinting at it, or showing it is unimportant with lampshade-hanging, etc. (At a minimum, pointing at it, and then emphasizing how other characters see nothing out of the ordinary.)

That moment has to be when Venus is introduced, not later in the game on their second, third, fourth, etc. visits.

Edited by HvcTerr

See, here's the problem: Certain things, like the whole-scale terraforming of planets to their opposite extremes, would be common-knowledge, and definitely something that even an amnesiac cyberninja would be briefed about before, y'know, being dropped into one of its snowbanks on a mission.

The existence of its terraformation may be common knowledge, but not why it has been terraformed. There's no reason to brief an team of ninjas on why the environment outside an outpost they've got to blow up is colder than it should be, just as in real life insertion teams are not briefed on why the city they're infiltrating to stop a terror attack was built where it was...

I like the idea of slowly learning about the Orokin, or rather, my predecessors, when I'm roleplaying a Tenno chatacter.

1. You can make a bio-dome that makes ice instead of vegetation

2.Maybe they terraformed the planet to be cold?

3.Maybe the corpus are @(*()$ crazy and did a really big environnement inside a extra big building.

4.Maybe the corpus just blew the planet up and built a new one.

5.Possiblities are infinite but the fact is that there's snow in their outposts.

There's no reason to brief an team of ninjas on why the environment outside an outpost they've got to blow up is colder than it should be

So what? Like I already said:

"Why is Venus filled with ice?" is the kind of question a storyteller *ought* to see coming in advance and deliberately handle somehow. That might mean explaining/hinting at it, or showing it is unimportant with lampshade-hanging, etc. (At a minimum, pointing at it, and then emphasizing how other characters see nothing out of the ordinary.) That moment has to be when Venus is introduced, not later in the game on their second, third, fourth, etc. visits.

It's perfectly fine for all the characters to be like "Yeah, good-old icy Venus", but it's not OK for to leave the player with nothing. Even leaving the player in suspense would be fine, as long as there were indications that it were deliberate rather than an oversight.

At the moment Assume the planets have been Terraformed IE the Orokin was able to colonize the entire SOL system yadda yadda yadda

now then Why are all the outside levels ice covered wastelands.

Lack of tilesets for the moment

Conspiracy theory moment... I actaully think the Ice outpost was where you were suppose to kill Hek -He is suppose to be on Mount Everest- but for one reason or another they made it the default planetside map.

So what? Like I already said:

It's perfectly fine for all the characters to be like "Yeah, good-old icy Venus", but it's not OK for to leave the player with nothing. Even leaving the player in suspense would be fine, as long as there were indications that it were deliberate rather than an oversight.

Stop being deliberately obtuse and read the rest of my God damn post. I said I wanted to leave it up to the player to find out for themselves. In other words. Leaving them in suspense.

That is markedly different from leaving "the player with nothing" as you claim.

Edited by Notso

Stop being deliberately obtuse and read the rest of my God damn post. I said I wanted to leave it up to the player to find out for themselves. In other words. Leaving them in suspense. That is markedly different from leaving "the player with nothing" as you claim.

You can't "leave" somebody in suspense without creating the suspense first, and right now the game does not do that.

If your medieval character enters a spooky castle and finds a huge reptilian scale and scorch marks on the wall, that's creating suspense. It is a deliberate attempt to plant questions in the viewer's mind, and on some level viewers will recognize it when they see it.

In contrast, when your medieval character enters a spooky castle and in the corner of the shot you can see an empty Starbucks coffee cup... That's not suspense. Even if your story is about how they accidentally travel to the future, you've got to at least do enough other work that viewers know you didn't just have a problem with trash being left on the set during filming.

Edited by HvcTerr

You can't "leave" somebody in suspense without creating the suspense first, and right now the game does not do that.

If your medieval character enters a spooky castle and finds a huge reptilian scale and scorch marks on the wall, that's creating suspense. It is a deliberate attempt to plant questions in the viewer's mind, and on some level viewers will recognize it when they see it.

In contrast, when your medieval character enters a spooky castle and in the corner of the shot you can see an empty Starbucks coffee cup... That's not suspense. Even if your story is about how they accidentally travel to the future, you've got to at least do enough other work that viewers know you didn't just have a problem with trash being left on the set during filming.

Then, in your opinion, suspense is the wrong word, but you're the one who brought it up. Even by your example, that's not generating suspense, that's generating questions and a small amount of tension. A small amount. Personally I think if they kept it this way, the fact Venus is icy generates some questions. Why is Venus the wrong temperature? Who changed the temperature, and why?

Although I wonder these things too, we have to remember. This is in a distant future...anything could have happened! I dont have all the answers but whenever I catch myself wondering about the lore of an ice-environment on Venus... I think... maybe some kind of *incident* happened to the sun and reduced its solar output? I blame the Corpus! (note: hypothesis of my own)

I would love environment specific tilesets. Lets see, Rocky (large asteroids,moons,planetoids) Lava (Mercury, Io) Frozen (Europa, outer system) Hovering platform (gas giants) Desert (Venus, Mars, Earth) Underwater (Europa, Earth) Forest (Earth, habitat domes). Stuff like that.

"Terraforming".

No, I have to agree- it doesn't make a great deal of sense. Neither does seeing Mars and... I'm not sure what the other body is in extremely close proximity to eachother, as if you were in orbit- from Saturn.

I'm a space guy. The scales and distances of things in the skybox when in ships seems really, really off. But I think we also need to remember that the game's still in beta.

Oh yeah, seeing mars all over the place is driving me crazy. Valles Marineris is waaaaay too distinctive, if they removed it I could just pretend they where moons or something. I hope they eventualy have planet specific skyboxes. How cool would it be to look out the window and see Jupiter looming huge above you?

Umm.. there is vegetation. There's like grass, and some leafless trees around. Unless all you guys play is endless defence on Kiliken (did I spell that right?) or something. Then you wouldn't see the grass. Or trees.

And I think DeadLlamaJokes is right. Venus is hot because of CO2. If you made a breathable atmosphere like one on Earth, it would be a bit cooler. Though the way the Earth is going...