Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Retune *all* The Frames! (11/19: Wildfire)

Archwizard

1 hour ago, Azamagon said:

Ok... I'll try to explain why I hate it:

Current state:
Tailwind is pure mobility. Fine. Even though it is far too costly (although handled, I guess, with the reduced aircast cost)
Divebomb was superuseful for snap CC when enemies get close (quickjump + 2 = insta AoE knockdown without any hassle). Further, considering its damagescaling, it seemed like its purpose was partially intended to be for damage. But it was mostly just used for pure downwards mobility, sadly.

New state:
Tailwind overall is fine for the dashing stuff. No complaints there.
But Divebomb? Much, much MUCH clunkier to use (thus horrible for emergency close range CC), and sadly changed in its overview to be treated as pure "mobility" instead of making it a "high effort/risk, high reward" damage ability.

Tailwind could easily have become another part of her passive (like, by making her have unlimited bulletjumps in the air, for example - or continuous flight forward by holding down the jump-button).
Divebomb could've gotten some better damagetreatments (aimable to some degree, finisher damage and/or much better heighscaling)

I ... just really don't like it.

Let's take a look at the rework shall we?

Jump to 1:02:00

That does not look clunky to use.

So, to sum up my thoughts:

• Ash changes are convenient, although they only address one of his many issues (particularly including the limited scalability of his ultimate, being that it only deals a flat amount of Finisher damage outranked by Teleport). Still, the ability to opt into the invulnerability period (at what is not listed in the post as zero additional cost, according to today's stream), or choose to continue striking amidst the chaos, at least makes for some bonus utility from the ability. That said, the new "fire and forget" method may leave it with some borderline P4TW functionality.
    • I am half-tempted to say the clones should be used as a Decoy in such case. It would have been pointless to do so back when Ash was attached to it (given the invulnerability, and aggro draw) but the fact that he can stick to invisibility, start the cast and keep wailing on enemies would at least give it strategic value if not meaningful damage.
  • Atlas changes sound like a pretty... solid... base. <I will attempt to bypass this fault.>
    The fact that the Petrify interaction with the wall only boosts its rolling abilities bodes ill for augmented builds, but that's supposed to be a tradeoff - still, I'd much rather have the wall healing, especially with it covering so little of an area and competing unfavorably with Vitrify as an impedance.
    While you can heal them now, Rumblers themselves still have very little purpose beyond, ironically, being a means to deliver the effects of another ability. If it weren't for the fact that Rubble gives Atlas a stacking bonus, I would be concerned that such overlap would lead to a copy of Frost, Ember and Nyx's issue of delivering the same CC through multiple abilities.
  • The ability for Soundquake to be dropped at a set location is actually quite interesting, being that I had a similar concept in mind when I initially posted this thread, called "Acoustic Mine". The idea was that Banshee would mark an area to trap enemies in her quake so that they would be ripe for sniping - the tools for which comprise literally everything else in her kit, which is what always made the quake so out of place. While I'm in favor of the augment conceptually, the fact that you cannot A) deliver the quake at range or B) maintain it without an extremely high Duration build, will make it difficult to use for the described purpose - really the ~3 sec duration just creates a means to hold an enemy at mid-range while you take a few potshots. I'd like to see it expanded in some way, like costing more energy for a longer fixed duration, or letting you fire it as a projectile.
  • Spectral Scream changes finally put Chroma on path for playing/feeling like a dragon - now all he needs is just a flight-based passive.
    As for Vex Armor... personally I'm not against reducing the damage in favor of buffing the party. However, I would like to see Effigy become a totem with which to also deliver the buffs, which would not only create additional synergy in his kit but also make it more fitting to its description.
  • Ember's solution to World on Fire was something I'd been considering before I developed Wildfire. What made me initially write it off was that, generally, players are more likely to toggle the ability off and on again to reset any penalties than they are to worry about the damage; same overall effect, just slightly more annoying to the caster. This change is a little tone-deaf overall, since it supposes that World on Fire is (or at least, should be used as) a valuable damage tool at higher levels. Maybe if Ember's passive was a functional Power Strength boost...
    • I'd almost be tempted to say it would fit their intent far better if it just dealt scaling damage to enemies who were already Burning.
  • Gara's wall scales now. K.
  • I'm curious what the phrasing of Polarize's "as well as the percentage of damage done to that specific enemy" means, given that DE has a tendency to play more to the letter of their announcements than to the way by which they would be interpreted (ie "Freeze is going to be more like Ember's Fireball" being literally a damage increase equal to Fireball's). Rebecca swears this means some type of scalability, but she implied a similar interpretation of World on Fire's change, as has Scott with many other past mentions of "scaling" (like Saryn's Miasma and Oberon's Reckoning).
    Meanwhile... for the first time in ages, Crush actually has a purpose! Although, I will say it does seem disappointing that said purpose seems to be covering the original intent of Shield Polarize - and I don't just mean the augment either, which as stated on the stream, is now in desperate need for re-evaluation.
    • For which I am, just for once, at a complete loss for ideas.
  • Discharge comes as a welcome change. The concept of it being a lightning strike on Volt actually does afford some inspiration for further developments, but for now I will find it sufficient for the ability.
  • And for the pièce de résistance, Zephyr.
    All of the proposed changes are actually exciting, at least on paper; the ability for her to hover in the air via Tail Wind (another early proposal - I may have to fish out some of my earlier drafts of the OP), a projectile attack, and the ability to guide her Tornadoes from the air all afford her more battlefield control. Tail Wind seems much smoother to use, and the ability to hover with it provides her with a new alternative to Parkour 2.0. Tornadoes are scalable (proposed at a higher rate than Undertow, however long that lasts), although it remains to be seen how the changes will affect control over them.

Overall, hopeful. I'd grade everyone here (except perhaps Zephyr, only due to needing to see more of her more thorough changes and particularly her new ability) as "A start, room for further improvement."

7 minutes ago, Archwizard said:

I'm curious what the phrasing of Polarize's "as well as the percentage of damage done to that specific enemy" means, given that DE has a tendency to play more to the letter of their announcements than to the way by which they would be interpreted (ie "Freeze is going to be more like Ember's Fireball" being literally a damage increase equal to Fireball's). Rebecca swears this means some type of scalability, but she implied a similar interpretation of World on Fire's change, as has Scott with many other past mentions of "scaling" (like Saryn's Miasma and Oberon's Reckoning).
Meanwhile... for the first time in ages, Crush actually has a purpose! Although, I will say it does seem disappointing that said purpose seems to be covering the original intent of Shield Polarize - and I don't just mean the augment either, which as stated on the stream, is now in desperate need for re-evaluation.

• For which I am, just for once, at a complete loss for ideas.

Increased chance of Energy Orb drop on Polarized enemies.  Mag's issues in my eyes: All CC is short (knockdowns/staggers), which means she needs constant use of her abilities. Solutions: Stronger CC effects, more base energy, more energy recovery (like her increased energy orb chance with pull). We're getting more base energy. I think an augment mod that adds some energy recovery will polish her out nicely. The alternative to these would be to make her CC last longer but with the base energy increase, I think the energy recovery is the best way to go now.

10 minutes ago, Archwizard said:

Atlas: still, I'd much rather have the wall healing, especially with it covering so little of an area and competing unfavorably with Vitrify as an impedance.

I think that's because it's not meant to be a permanent barrier. It's meant to be a quick safety and then boulder release and move on, which fits his play-style. 

11 minutes ago, Archwizard said:

While you can heal them now, Rumblers themselves still have very little purpose beyond, ironically, being a means to deliver the effects of another ability. If it weren't for the fact that Rubble gives Atlas a stacking bonus, I would be concerned that such overlap would lead to a copy of Frost, Ember and Nyx's issue of delivering the same CC through multiple abilities.

I agree but I'll take it. He will get more tweaks in the future and he's guaranteed another visit at his Priming. For now, I think these are big changes for him and are more than I expected DE to do (same with Zephyr, I thought reworking skills was a big no but I'm glad they're willing to make exceptions here and there). So I'm happy for now. There were a lot of changes so I think it's fair to give them feedback after testing the changes for Atlas (and Zephyr). I feel like a part of them wanted to redesign Atlas but would take too much development time for a warframe that's not about to be primed.