Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Update Of Directx Failed!

sawhorse

This is the error I'm getting. I had absolutely no problem running warframe as of yesterday. But today I get an error  when running the launcher: Update of DirectX failed!

I've tried every fix I could find online and nothing seems to work. 

YfIp22P.png

I have distillers out on planets that I must not lose and I can't log in.

I've tried:

-a registry fix I found on steam forums, making a .reg file, it didn't change a thing.

-the launcher refuses to defrag or verify data.

-steam couldn't validate it either, so it redownloaded the whole game. which didn't solve anything again.

-I reinstalled directx from the package from the official site, no change.

-I deleted everything in the drivers/directx9 folder, save for dsetup, dsetup32 and dxsetup.exe and it still fails to update it.

I'm really desperate here. I don't want to lose those distillers due to damn technical problems. Any kind of help is appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Launch Warframe and folder with game /SteamApps/common/Warframe/Drivers/DirectX9, so then before Windows Ask you about Install DirectX by launching Warframe, Delete all files in Drivers/DirectX without DSetup, dsetup32 and DXSETUP. Then Install the DirectX what launched before automatically by launching Warframe. Remeber - When you launching Warframe, DONT click at the directx installer, if you don't removed those files

I repaired this like that, I too wrote this at the steamcommunity.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Same issue. I played this game a long time ago. I seen they did several content updates. I downloaded the game yesterday. Played all day. Put $50 worth of plat on my account. Then got the Direct x issue.

Although this post helped. I did not have much issue fixing this.

I managed to solve the update of directx failed problem on my cousin's laptop. I ran DXSETUP.exe from Steam\steamapps\common\Warframe\Drivers\DirectX9, and then ran the installer after that.

First i did as the above user suggested.

This did not fix my issue(completly) i still got the direct x error.

I then re-verified my warframe game install (via the little cogwheel settings icon on the launcher with the direct x error)

I am back in game.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know I'm late to the thread, but I just ran across this where I tried and tried to get direct x to install on windows 7 64bit.  Eventually I found that disabling my anti-virus (ad-aware) and then running the installer from D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Warframe\Drivers\DirectX9 again worked.  Warframe now updates and plays.

I figured I would leave this message in case anyone else wanders by this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I replaced my d3d9.dll and once I reverted back to the original, I started receiving "Update of DirectX Failed."
I verified a dozen times that the version I had was fine, but running the below command resolved the issue for me.

sfc /scanfile=C:\windows\syswow64\d3d9.dll

It said it was corrupt and that it would be fixed on reboot and viola. Fixed for me. ^.^

The above command calls something called the "System File Checker" on Windows and /scanfile asks it to make sure the file is the original and not tampered with or corupted. ^.^

Edited by BinaryBrother

• 1 month later...

(✧∀✧)/ I found a solution...

1. Turn Off your firewall
2. Open your warframe launcher
3. If its not downloading any, click the settings
4. Verify
5. wait...
6. Now close it..

7. Open it again, It should pop up- verifying cache..
8. Then wait for the download to be complete.. Play

-( ╥ω╥ )I'm sorry If this doesn't help you but worked for me

• 2 months later...

I know I'm late to the thread, but I just ran across this where I tried and tried to get direct x to install on windows 7 64bit.  Eventually I found that disabling my anti-virus (ad-aware) and then running the installer from D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Warframe\Drivers\DirectX9 again worked.  Warframe now updates and plays.

I figured I would leave this message in case anyone else wanders by this thread.

Thanks bro this worked for me :D

If people still have issues with Windows 10. the only thing that worked for me was this:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/230410/discussions/2/537405286653520037/

I've seen people struggling to update warframe on windows 10, the most common error is "Failed to update directx" (or something like that).

Well, I was fixing some other thing (DS3Tool), had a similar error, and fixed. So i thought “Well maybe there's a similar fix for warframe as well" and for my surprise there is!

If you are having problems follow these steps.

THE PC WILL RESTART SO WRITE IT DOWN OR MEMORIZE THE STEPS.

1. At windows 10 search bar type: Recovery. There should be only one result.

2. At the Recovery page click advanced startup. (PC WILL RESTART NOW)

3. When you are asked for a Option on a blue screen select Troubleshoot.

4. Now Advanced Options and Startup Settings and press RESTART again.

5. Once you do that, there’s going to be a screen with number 1 trough 9, YOU GONNA CHOOSE 8

6. The PC should boot now.

7. Disable any malware blocker or anti-virus you have.

8. Open warframe folder (Steam>Steamapps>Common>Warframe>Drivers>DirectX9.)

9. Delete every file EXCEPT DSETUP.exe, dsetup32.dll, dsetup.dll.

10. Execute Warframe trough Steam.

11. Should update normally now.

If you have any question or problems you can post here... but I might not be able to answer since it was a strike of luck and not actual Knowledge

Edited by MyAccount

• 3 months later...

Ok, this is going to sound really weird, and truth be told, this makes no sense to me either.I found a way past the version of this problem that i was having by going into settings on the launcher, un-ticking all of the boxes and closing the launcher. Then when i booted it up again, i re-ticked all of the boxes and pressed verify which seemed to force it to verify the whole thing and fix my problem. I have no idea why this works and i dont know if it will fix the problem for you lot, but i hope someone will at least get some use out of this.

good luck guys

EDIT: scratch that guys, i got it to launch once, but i got the same problem again when i closed and reopened it

Edited by Horo_Proteus

• 1 month later...

So the thing is, my steam version of the game only starts in admin windows (7) account, account with admin rights is not enough, no matter if I set it to "launch as admin" (it kinda always ignores it, whatevs...). Problem is, I don't use admin account, I have all settings, game saves (+ it feels safer :S) etc in my admin rights one, it's really a pain in one place that I have to close everything and exit (because not enough RAM) blabla... 

Question is why is it necessary to be in admin acc? What a game needs this access for? :D 

Anyway, if anybody will find the solution to this - please, don't be shy and tell the secret :D