Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We Want A Railgun Megathread!

r0ckwolf

Keep in mind, that Railguns nowadays would not be able to compare to ones in the far distant future like in Warframe, so it's easily plausible that Railguns don't have to shoot solid rounds.

The only thing that discerns a railgun from a standard gun, is the two large electromagnetic RAILS in the barrel to propel whatever the projectile is, instead of using an explosion.

Some of my friends and I got to talking about a this topic and there is a difference in the ammo used. If you were to use a metal slug it would be a railgun, but if you used a tank of highly pressurized gas and fired it at the same speed the later is a particle cannon, or something involving gas I couldn't keep up after that point in the conversation.

Here's an idea I may actually turn into a full fledged concept with art and whatnot (If you guys like the idea)...

The Ingmatos - Doesn't really mean anything but has a really satisfying ring to the name.

What I've noticed with the Opticor is that in a fast paced game such as warframe stopping your movement and waiting for the chargeup and release feels good but doesn't really lend to the speed of warframe. Here's what I've got in mind for the Ingmatos; Essentially it takes some of the features of the buzlock targeting system, where you have to fire 3 quick laser darts within scope at a target for it to get a lock and if you shoot anywhere else or miss you lose the lock on the target. Once you've successfully locked onto an enemy you can run around or do whatever you'd like and hold the fire button down. When you've held the button down long enough (while doing other stuff) your character will spin around and automatically reposition themselves aimed at the enemy - and release the high powered ballistic round with a satisfying crunch/explosion. You then have to reload a new shell into the gun and fire the 3 darts again to produce another shot.

I realise the amount of work is very high to use the gun effectively, but it allows for quick and fast paced gameplay that also give the player the chance to see high calibre weapons in action. With regards to the mechanic, it would most likely take 1.5x - 2x longer to fire the Inigmatos than it would be to fire the Opticor, so the damage would be even higher to compensate. Plus, let's be honest... spinning around and decimating a target would be pretty badass.

EDIT: Someone also mentioned the stagger system. So sure, slap that on there too. Why not. Maybe an AOE stagger originating around the player and at the point of impact.

Zn45Frm.png

EDIT 2: Rough sketch because I got antsy.

EDIT 3: I'm going to post it as its own concept in a separate thread because I'm so proud of it. :)

Edited by PhaZone

Here's an idea I may actually turn into a full fledged concept with art and whatnot (If you guys like the idea)...

The Inigmatos - Doesn't really mean anything but has a really satisfying ring to the name.

What I've noticed with the Opticor is that in a fast paced game such as warframe stopping your movement and waiting for the chargeup and release feels good but doesn't really lend to the speed of warframe. Here's what I've got in mind for the Inigmatos; Essentially it takes some of the features of the buzlock targeting system, where you have to fire 3 quick laser darts within scope at a target for it to get a lock and if you shoot anywhere else or miss you lose the lock on the target. Once you've successfully locked onto an enemy you can run around or do whatever you'd like and hold the fire button down. When you've held the button down long enough (while doing other stuff) your character will spin around and automatically reposition themselves aimed at the enemy - and release the high powered ballistic round with a satisfying crunch/explosion. You then have to reload a new shell into the gun and fire the 3 darts again to produce another shot.

I realise the amount of work is very high to use the gun easily, but it allows for quick and fast paced gameplay that also give the player the chance to see high calibre weapons in action. With regards to the mechanic, it would most likely take 1.5x - 2x longer to fire the Inigmatos than it would be to fire the Opticor, so the damage would be even higher to compensate. Plus, let's be honest... spinning around and decimating a target would be pretty badass.

But in all honesty, the Opticor is literally a weaker version of the Lanka. Slower charge time, weaker damage, not being Electric base, etc. But, Archwing gives a very nice opportunity for a Railgun. I also await my Archwing variant of the Flux Rifle.

But in all honesty, the Opticor is literally a weaker version of the Lanka. Slower charge time, weaker damage, not being Electric base, etc. But, Archwing gives a very nice opportunity for a Railgun. I also await my Archwing variant of the Flux Rifle.

Hence why I suggestion some variations. Significantly higher damage than both the Lanka and the Opticor, likely slow than both weapons but I'm thinking electrical damage bonus (not pure electrical damage like the Lanka, railguns carry current so it would makes sense.) And I wouldn't really consider Archwing weapons to be included since it's of a different vein of weaponry. That said the Ingamatos could work as an Archwing weapon.... maybe....

Also the Imperator isn't a railgun don't lie to me DE :'(

Edited by PhaZone

• 1 month later...

emerge....

Hahaha, seriously now! ^^

So we have an offical Railgun now, the Velocitus for Archwings. That´s a win i assume, but it still leaves much to be desired. 

First of all why does it deal exclusively magnetic damage??? Has anyone at DE read this Thread to remind you all on how a Railgun actually works:

In short:

When a Rail Gun fires, the projectile gets speed up through magnetic acceleration (they got that part right) and reaches around 16x times the speed of any other human build weapon projectile. The extreme acceleration tremendously heats up the Bolt, often melting it mid air. The resulting force (m=c²) is the reason for the immense destructive power of Railguns and why they are used as anti vehicle weapons, since they punch through armor, walls and structures with ease!

So from that i get:

Heat Damage

Puncture (duh...) Damage

Punch Through

Impact Damage

What exactly is supposed to be magnetic about that, is beyond me?? oO

emerge....

Hahaha, seriously now! ^^

So we have an offical Railgun now, the Velocitus for Archwings. That´s a win i assume, but it still leaves much to be desired. 

First of all why does it deal exclusively magnetic damage??? Has anyone at DE read this Thread to remind you all on how a Railgun actually works:

In short:

When a Rail Gun fires, the projectile gets speed up through magnetic acceleration (they got that part right) and reaches around 16x times the speed of any other human build weapon projectile. The extreme acceleration tremendously heats up the Bolt, often melting it mid air. The resulting force (m=c²) is the reason for the immense destructive power of Railguns and why they are used as anti vehicle weapons, since they punch through armor, walls and structures with ease!

So from that i get:

Heat Damage

Puncture (duh...) Damage

Punch Through

Impact Damage

What exactly is supposed to be magnetic about that, is beyond me?? oO

Because the Veloctis is a Gauss Gun, not a Railgun.

Because the Veloctis is a Gauss Gun, not a Railgun.

nope it´s not! we can clearly see two parallel Rails, which identifys it as a Rail Gun, even if it would be a Gauss Gun, that wouldn´t change my point. The method used to accelerate the Bolt with a Gauss Gun slightly different, but it´s just another method to achive the same result in the end: Accelerate a solid physicall object to an immense degree!

Edited by r0ckwolf

The rails don't need to be there to accelerate a physical projectile. Or more accurately, they don't need to be accelerating a projectile. It's entirely possible that the assembly is just some kind of fruity particle accelerator for all we know, given half the guns in Warframe.

Keep in mind that the Flux Rifle and Spectra, sustained energy beam weapons, deal only core damage types (slash/puncture/impact). No heat/fire or anything like that The Phage somehow 'shoots' virus beams. My Bratons can slice a man in half with ease! Discard your notions of rational weapon behaviour.

That said, a high-puncture/high-impact railgun for ground/archwing would be nice. Hell, I'd settle for other magnetic accelerators.

Edited by Arcalane

• 3 weeks later...

I would consider the lanka a rail gun, and the dera looks like a railgun, until you notice that it shoots out of the posts rather than the center.

also, what is up with all these "suggestion" threads in GD?

Just cause one guy cant find the right sub forum, doesn't mean everyone does..

Just because a gun doesnt look like your interpretation of a railgun doesn't mean that it isnt a railgun. 

A railgun is just a gun that uses magnetic coils to fire the projectile. Lanka is a charge based sniper that fires a bullet. Therefore it can be assumed that it is a railgun.

Also, most plasma based guns are technically railguns, as plasma is held together with a magnetic field.

sorry dude the lanka is a coilgun learn the mechanics of the electromagnetic weapons and designs 

• 2 months later...