Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We Want A Railgun Megathread!

r0ckwolf

The Lanka is not worthy of being called a railgun.

This is why the game desperately needs the Snipetron to be reintroduced. Make it a railgun, thereby making it lore friendly as a corpus weapon that shoots actual projectiles rather than spit plasma.

I like the snipertron as it is now with rapid fire... Make Snipertron II if you have to make it a railgun.

ehhh, would you explain the difference please? I´m kinnda confused...

Gauss guns (or coilguns) basically use a series of electromagnets to accelerate a ferrous projectile. Kind of like this:

Coilgun_animation.gif

Railguns are really a type of &*$$polar motor - you have two conducting rails on either side of the projectile, and either a conductive projectile, or a conductive armature that pushes the projectile. Current runs from one rail, through the projectile or armature, and down the other rail in a circuit. This produces a Lorentz force that forces the projectile/armature down the rails at high speeds, in accordance with the right-hand rule.

Edited by CaptainCapitalism

Well i don't know how Gauss Guns are in video games, but in real life Gauss Gun (Or Coil Gun) are basically a Rail Gun without the rail, the sliding contacts in which the projectile goes through, basically the magnetic force of the coils inside the barrel make the projectile float as its accelerated at high velocities. But Gauss guns are merely theoretical, as Rail guns are more practical and have real military use. 

ehhh, would you explain the difference please? I´m kinnda confused...

They're actually almost identical. The only difference is in terms of what powers them since they use magnetic fields differently. For a gauss gun you'd need a power supply with high constant current, for a railgun you'd need one with high constant voltage.

http://www.reeza.com/sinster/essays/gauss.html

I think people might be confusing gauss guns and railguns as being entirely different weapons from sci-fi universes when both work very similarly; using magnetic forces to accelerate projectiles to high velocities, the only difference between them being how they manipulate magnetic fields and power supplies.

giphy.gif.

Edited by xSapphire

Thanks for the explanations.^^ 

8Ppkp36.jpg

To answer the originall question what i´d prefer Gauss or Railgun,  since they´re more or less the same, i´d have to say i´m fine with either. A Gauss Gun might be cool with a unique Design (you can do it Mynki), however the 2 Rails of a Railgun are such a distinct visual cue, that have reached iconic status to me through games such as Metal Gear, so having a Gun that incorporates this Design in Warframe would be....just...

cNtqvmN.jpg

Edited by r0ckwolf

They're actually almost identical. The only difference is in terms of what powers them since they use magnetic fields differently. For a gauss gun you'd need a power supply with high constant current, for a railgun you'd need one with high constant voltage.

http://www.reeza.com/sinster/essays/gauss.html

I think people might be confusing gauss guns and railguns as being entirely different weapons from sci-fi universes when both work very similarly; using magnetic forces to accelerate projectiles to high velocities, the only difference between them being how they manipulate magnetic fields and power supplies.

You rarely see a railgun in a game. You do see gauss guns all the time and people put on railgun looks.

The way they work was already explained and you would need diffrent power systems. The important parts is the rails in a rail gun degrade after each shot. Meaning that the first shot gets 100% power, second shot gets less power and each shot gets less and less power because the rails degrade and aren't able to make proper connection to the projectile. This makes rail guns very impractical because you have to start replaing rails.

The Coil/Gauss weapon doesnt' actualy need to touch the round for the magnetic forces to work. This leads to no loss of power for each use. Basicaly just keep on providing power for the copils in bursts and you can keep shooting.

For gameplay I want to see a real rail gun.

First: The animation of reloading being to replace the rails of the gun instead of replacing/recharging a battery pack/magazine. This would make it unique to start with.

Second: Charge up, takes the coils time to build the charge for full damage. The damage vs charge needs to be linear. 50% charge means 50% damage.

Third: Damage is pure puncture. It passes through thing. That means puncture. It doens't puch, it doesnt' cut. It makes a hole in the target.

Fourth: Damage on par with the Karak per round. Yes I know this isnt' much damage. With Newton's law we would be shooting a round the size of a pea and making a small hole in the target(s). That or we take damage each time we fire it. That might be a very interesting game mechanic of its own...

Fifth: Inate punch through on any charge. I think 3 meters would be enough for game balance.

MGS would be the last franchise I'd assosiate with a railgun

you're joking right?

they mastered the railgun.. it was the most important type of weapon to hit the series..

Metal Gear Rex was going to launch a nuke with one.. Fortune had one.. Crying Wolf had one...which Snake acquired and used...and Outer Haven acquired the Metal Gear Rex railgun and attempted to launch a nuke with that as well.

...MGS would be the FIRST franchise I'd association with a railgun

you're joking right?

they mastered the railgun.. it was the most important type of weapon to hit the series..

Metal Gear Rex was going to launch a nuke with one.. Fortune had one.. Crying Wolf had one...which Snake acquired and used...and Outer Haven acquired the Metal Gear Rex railgun and attempted to launch a nuke with that as well.

...MGS would be the FIRST franchise I'd association with a railgun

Ace Combat :D?

They had a mass driver for launching things to orbit.

Fighters_at_Basset.jpg

First: The animation of reloading being to replace the rails of the gun instead of replacing/recharging a battery pack/magazine. This would make it unique to start with.

Second: Charge up, takes the coils time to build the charge for full damage. The damage vs charge needs to be linear. 50% charge means 50% damage.

Third: Damage is pure puncture. It passes through thing. That means puncture. It doens't puch, it doesnt' cut. It makes a hole in the target.

Fourth: Damage on par with the Karak per round. Yes I know this isnt' much damage. With Newton's law we would be shooting a round the size of a pea and making a small hole in the target(s). That or we take damage each time we fire it. That might be a very interesting game mechanic of its own...

Fifth: Inate punch through on any charge. I think 3 meters would be enough for game balance.

Yes, yes, yes, no, and yes.

I know the laws of physics dictate that, but I disagree with it for a number of reasons. Chief being The Rule Of Cool™, because high-velocity handheld railguns may be unrealistic, but are way more fun, and DE has shown plenty of disregard for logic in the game anyway. Secondly, no one said that this Magical Railgun That We Might Possibly Get But Don't Have Yet™ doesn't have shock absorbers built in, or conduits to dissipate the recoil to the sides. It is the distant future, after all. There may be that opposite force, but force can be redirected.