Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion] Mini-Boss And Elite Enemy Encounters

DSMK2

In open areas, the cargo ospreys would be fun to watch be repurposed as troop carriers. Just watch it swoop down, dump a bunch of moas and crewmen then fly off. Very much like a Combine troop transport.

I also would like to see some Corpus approach in squads of well trained and heavily armed officers. I know they usually have the proxies do all the fighting, but they have to have some humans that can and want to fight. They are all indoctrinated anyway, so many should be more than willing to take specialized combat training. Their proxies are effective but they're just that: proxies.

I'm happy with most of the Corpus being cannon fodder.

I also would like to see some Corpus approach in squads of well trained and heavily armed officers. I know they usually have the proxies do all the fighting, but they have to have some humans that can and want to fight. They are all indoctrinated anyway, so many should be more than willing to take specialized combat training. Their proxies are effective but they're just that: proxies.

I don't have the impression that the Corpus have a well trained military branch, compared to the Grineer. They do have the combat robotics to make up for it.

We know that the Corpus are a kind of pseudo corporate technoreligion. Here is an interesting idea but it depends on how inhuman the Corpus can be; multiple Corpus crewmen artificially networked (against their will?) to a single humanoid proxy (which acts as a conduit for the Corpus leader) of some kind; they act as eyes and fingers for the proxy controlling them. They'll be more directed and probably aggressive compared to the regular Corpus units. Because that, the network will be able to deploy concentrated firepower towards a target, as well as more guided in their actions.

Higher difficulties could have the proxy able to control a greater number of crewmen. It would be nightmare-ish if they're given complete osprey support!

It would also be a little nightmare on the cpu of whoever's hosting... maybe. This could be another heavy osprey mod, that would come with, say, four support proxies of it's own, and control of as many crewmen as the level allows.

In my view for the Corpus as a whole, I'd rather see the organic side of the Corpus expanded more. Since they're all indoctrinated workers, it would be cool to see upgraded Corpus crewmen who follow the employee handbook harder than the rest, and is equipped with better weapons and defensive equipment because of that. Harder cannon fodder.

Expanding robotics branch of the Corpus could be better for specials, elites, and mini-bosses as opposed to mook bots; imagine a Corpus robot whose design and size is tailored to a hallway, it can only move within that tile and it's equipped with a always on laser gate, supported by turrets mounted on it. It tries to trap and push enemy targets in it's laser gate and uses it's turrets to soften them up. The only way to destroy it is to 'disconnect it' from the walls by shooting/slicing the wall connectors.

Very purpose built robotics. 

I think of enemies in this game for some reason.

http://youtu.be/hOvlCFvtuZY

I approve of this thread.

I also approve of infected tenno, rhino stalkers, a corpus warrior monk, and that manticore supergrineer from the steam trailer.

Variety in monster spawn helps a game based around butchering a million dudes.

And who knows? Maybe the difficulty will get hiked with it.

Variety in monster spawn helps a game based around butchering a million dudes.

And who knows? Maybe the difficulty will get hiked with it.

My thoughts when I made this thread:

page03.jpg

After shooting and slicing apart waves upon waves of mooks, you suddenly find yourself against a mook that survived that bullet, that slash, or that ability quite handily... 

Edited by DSMK2

...Anyone else remembers, how they battled the cyberdemon? (or at least supertank ot Macron?)

Variety and new content is everything for an MMO, and I really, honestly hope this game lives long enough to start taking in fan ideas because they lied around for a while and devs are slowly running out of their own...

• 2 weeks later...

Tough engaging enemies that challenge a players skill and strategy is always a welcome especially in a game about, for the time being mindlessly slaying every foe you come across.

Indeed. The endless song of grind needs some juicy punctuation.))

Bump for the awesome idea.

Also, maybe there could be a fusion hyena boss, or something?

Fusion were a nice addition. Those guys could lay down the pain. I have some ideas as well to expand the missions:

Random events. I really like it when I am doing a mission and the goals change so all of a sudden you find yourself in an eradication mission instead of a spy mission etc. I think this should be expanded though. The higher the total levels of a squad, the more tasks they have to do. It would be fun to mix it up and make them have to hack terminals just to figure out where they need to go. Why does the Lotus have to be so helpful? Sometimes I have to wonder about her omnipotence. For instance:

Players start out at the break-in point and have to gather data. The lotus has no idea where the data is that they need so they need to hack a terminal to figure out where the important data is. While the Lotus is searching their computer systems for the proper units they have to defend the room a la a mobile defense mission. When they get to the data terminals necessary they also have to defend the room while the Lotus combines data into a single device for extraction. In fact, the Tenno may have to bring their own unit to upload the files on to.

Random environmental impact: We already have cryo issues and ship self-destruction. How about a ship-to-ship battle occurring while the raid is taking place? Randomly the hull could be breached or explosions occur sending everybody reeling. On planet side missions there could be bombings. This doesn't even need to start along side the mission, the issues could start half way through etc. Speaking of which, why don't explosions and self-destruction start after you blow the reactor core? I've mentioned gravity issues in other threads but they could happen too.

Minibosses have been mentioned but I think they should come with an obscene number of additional mobs and elites. They should be able to move from room to room and stay together as a group. Have any of the devs ever played Angband style games with monster nests? This is what I am thinking about. One high elite, 4 elites and a couple dozen greens.

Another thing I was thinking about was the way mobs are added to battles. Do they just spawn out of thin air? I would think that they should spawn in an adjacent room and then move in on the players. Why do they not flee and stay together as groups? A single enemy is a piece of cake to take down. If there was one dude you would think he would run away to find friends and regroup with others so he isn't an easy kill. From my experience, the only mob that actually runs away is the Grineer Commander. This makes him way more tricky to defeat. He still doesn't run toward allies though. Just away in general.

Boss battles are a pain in general because they rapidly become the only enemy and players simply have to concentrate all their effort on him until they are dead. The one exception is the Jackal. Those flying bomb dropping thingies really change the dynamic. In my opinion all boss battles should have air locked entrances that lock unless are releasing waves of grunts (or even other mini-bosses) that then reseal so they can fill up again for the next wave.

Could you imagine fighting Ruk and suddenly a high level Commander and 4 regular Commanders with swarms of grunts enter in and start encroaching? Or you are fighting the Jackal and uh oh...a Hyena and 4 Fusions come waltzing in with a dozen Ospreys and other baddies?

I think that will be enough for now. ;)

Enemy Type: Beam Laser Carrier (Grineer or Corpus)

While this would work thematically best with Corpus, they already have more suggestions than Grineer. For Grineer, it would be a Heavy with a giant cannon, utilizing stolen Orokin tech; for Corpus, it could be a buffed MOA, carrying a supercharged Fusion Laser.

Concept: This enemy type would paint the target with a laser designator (you know, those red dots) for 3 seconds before firing. Here's the trick; it would always be able to track a moving warframe, no matter its speed, UNLESS that warframe WALLRUNS. You could also move behind cover.

One hit from this beam laser would either deal massive damage (75-90% of a warframe's shield + health combined), or be a one-hit KO. The idea is this enemy type would force players at higher difficulties to utilize wall-running to avoid enemy fire. While you could use cover to get away, there will be situations where cover simply isn't available within 3 seconds.

Tweak as necessary. The basic idea is to make us have to start using wall-running to evade attacks.

Enemy Type: Beam Laser Carrier (Grineer or Corpus)

While this would work thematically best with Corpus, they already have more suggestions than Grineer. For Grineer, it would be a Heavy with a giant cannon, utilizing stolen Orokin tech; for Corpus, it could be a buffed MOA, carrying a supercharged Fusion Laser.

Concept: This enemy type would paint the target with a laser designator (you know, those red dots) for 3 seconds before firing. Here's the trick; it would always be able to track a moving warframe, no matter its speed, UNLESS that warframe WALLRUNS. You could also move behind cover.

One hit from this beam laser would either deal massive damage (75-90% of a warframe's shield + health combined), or be a one-hit KO. The idea is this enemy type would force players at higher difficulties to utilize wall-running to avoid enemy fire. While you could use cover to get away, there will be situations where cover simply isn't available within 3 seconds.

Tweak as necessary. The basic idea is to make us have to start using wall-running to evade attacks.

That's a nice idea. Though the evasion stuff should probably be expanded to certain abilities. Aso, would be nice to give it ability to miss if you time everything right, so that if you suddenly rush ahead after standing, while being close enough and not running towards/from the heavy, you could avoid the beam. Close enough because it would mean higher angular velocity, hence worse prediction of movement.

Although the ops original Idea with vastly improved AI seems very nice I don't think we'll see that any time soon given how hard it would be to implement propperly.

Personally I think simply creating random minibosses and encounters would make the missions much more interesting. They wouldn't even have to be so different from what we have now in the game, just mixed a bit different. The minibosses should always be accompanied by many mobs and have a useful area abilitie to deal with multiple Tenno at once. Like sweep meele or area knockback or area heal/invulnerability.

I mean the most frightening thing currently in the game for me are the freakin Ancient Disruptors when they show up in a crowd. They can knock down, steal all energy and shield, take quite a bit of damage and are often surrounded by small units that deal massive damage once the ancient has done its work. Why not just expand on this?

toxic infested are what terrify me. Especially if you get 3 high level ones at once. Another idea I had would only work for infested: Breeders. In many roguelikes there are breeders which basically spawn buddies over time. We could have an infested that could spit out many smaller infested. Just a thought.

As for implimentation...that is the problem I was thinking about when I came up with all my ideas. Another thing to worry about is the fact that not all internet connections and computers are created equally. You cannot have 100 enemies running around on a weak computer or a dial up modem. LOL

OK so autospawners for corpus are the wall spawners, we could have breeders for ancients. What about the Grineer? Ya know they are all clones. Why not have a vat they can autospawn from? Kinda like that one episode of Doctor Who (The Doctor's Daughter)

Then again they didn't come out of the generators with armor and weaponry but still.

Another autospawn idea: Why not paratroopers decending from the skies in outdoor levels? That would be epic.

Other randoms: Wall crawling bots, or rollers that can climb walls. Ospreys that can actually fly instead of hovering over platforms, flight abilities etc.

I know what would be awesome: A grappling hook that can join any two points with a zip line. That might be an idea for a Warframe though ;)

PIPES SPAWNING NERVOS. DO IT, DE.

Ahem.

Grineer don't have any open spaces to have paratroopers. I think grineer should focus on bringing in tough guys from the beginning, after all the factions should be unique.

This reminds me. As for mini-events...would it be possible to have a base get attacked by an opposing faction while you are in a mission? That would be a good idea for an event. Maybe the Corpus and Grineer could have an open war and we could join in the fray.