The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Grineer Systems Transmission And U13 Hype Megathread

Archistopheles

Im in favour of hideous too.

Funny...

I'd be more in favour of having the Twin Queens be unnaturally beatiful. Moving with a sort of grace and speaking with a ton and cadence that no human could generate. Something that doesn't revolt players, so much as make them cringe in terror at the sheer un-nature of these creatures that simply should not be on this plane of existence.

Funny...

I'd be more in favour of having the Twin Queens be unnaturally beatiful. Moving with a sort of grace and speaking with a ton and cadence that no human could generate. Something that doesn't revolt players, so much as make them cringe in terror at the sheer un-nature of these creatures that simply should not be on this plane of existence.

Trick there is actually conveying it - it's a bit like how any movie about Sun Wukong won't quite match up to the tale, namely the bit where he fought the 100,000 celestial warriors where each fight was "equivalent of a cosmic embodiment".  How do you show that in a film?

Funny...

Thing is: you can't do that, no one can do that. It's a pretty picture for a story, but practically (read: visually) it's just NOT feasible.

Beauty to the grineer could mean "heavily moddified/constructed with the latest and most advanced technology" as Sargas Ruk is, maybe the queens are HUGE "hivemind" servers with "human" traits in its logic.

This is how I portray the Queens.

FshPUkD.jpg

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Funny...

i would expect that from the void, the grineer are manufactured cheap industrially enhanced humans, not something from beyond...

Needs more machine, but HOLY F***!!!!!!!!!THAT'SSCARY!!!!!

I approve

Gotta hand it to Bioware's artists - they did a good job on the Broodmothers in Dragon Age.  Although their real horror factor comes from how they're created, not just their looks.

Taken from the Dragon Age wiki to save time:

"Female captives are usually made broodmothers by the darkspawn. They contract the [Darkspawn] taint by being force-fed on darkspawn tissue. This gives them cannibalistic urges but also mutates them. These females turn into fully-fledged broodmothers after devouring massive amounts of flesh."

Or as one dwarf woman partway through the process (though not yet mutated) described it:

First day, they come and catch everyone.

Second day, they beat us and eat some for meat.

Third day, the men are all gnawed on again.

Fourth day, we wait and fear for our fate.

Fifth day, they return and it's another girl's turn.

Sixth day, her screams we hear in our dreams.

Seventh day, she grew as in her mouth they spew.

Eighth day, we hated as she is violated.

Ninth day, she grins and devours her kin.

Now she does feast, as she's become the beast.

Now you lay and wait, for their screams will haunt you in your dreams.

Unless you animate it. :P

Even then: you'd have to be able to picture it, as well as in a way that is shared by EVERYONE for it to have the intended effect. You can make them the most beautiful thing you could imagine, but to someone else that's not going to cut it, and to another they may even be repulsed by it. There is just NO WAY something so PERFECT that it "make them cringe in terror at the sheer un-nature of these creatures"  could be created by ANYONE in ANY media. We make what we know, and if we know something that is so unlike ourselves, then it's not something that can make us terrified.

It's the same reason the Lovecraftian Cosmic horrors that can make you go mad JUST by looking at them are impossible to visualize.

Gotta hand it to Bioware's artists - they did a good job on the Broodmothers in Dragon Age.  Although their real horror factor comes from how they're created, not just their looks.

Taken from the Dragon Age wiki to save time:

"Female captives are usually made broodmothers by the darkspawn. They contract the [Darkspawn] taint by being force-fed on darkspawn tissue. This gives them cannibalistic urges but also mutates them. These females turn into fully-fledged broodmothers after devouring massive amounts of flesh."

Or as one dwarf woman partway through the process (though not yet mutated) described it:

First day, they come and catch everyone.

Second day, they beat us and eat some for meat.

Third day, the men are all gnawed on again.

Fourth day, we wait and fear for our fate.

Fifth day, they return and it's another girl's turn.

Sixth day, her screams we hear in our dreams.

Seventh day, she grew as in her mouth they spew.

Eighth day, we hated as she is violated.

Ninth day, she grins and devours her kin.

Now she does feast, as she's become the beast.

Now you lay and wait, for their screams will haunt you in your dreams.

... I get the odd feeling that Dragon Age is highly against oral sex...

... I get the odd feeling that Dragon Age is highly against oral sex...

No, I think that line about spewing meant vomit.

Even then: you'd have to be able to picture it, as well as in a way that is shared by EVERYONE for it to have the intended effect. You can make them the most beautiful thing you could imagine, but to someone else that's not going to cut it, and to another they may even be repulsed by it. There is just NO WAY something so PERFECT that it "make them cringe in terror at the sheer un-nature of these creatures"  could be created by ANYONE in ANY media. We make what we know, and if we know something that is so unlike ourselves, then it's not something that can make us terrified.

It's the same reason the Lovecraftian Cosmic horrors that can make you go mad JUST by looking at them are impossible to visualize.

It's also why doing a video game, movie or animated thing for Exalted would only work partway - once you start involving Sidereal Exalted and their fate-twisting powers, your causing major headaches for the visual designers.  And gods help the guys they get to design Yu-Shan (Heaven) and all the weird and fantastic gods populating it, several of whom don't have to follow the laws of physics and/or biology.  (Or decency actually; the goddess of the Imperial Mountain is actually naked save for a scarf that floats around her body.)

DE please watch this video on how to properly wear and draw a Katana style weapon.

While the swords in the hilt the blade should be facing UP

When he draws he should pull the sword out partly and rotate his hips away for the remainder of the draw (and strike)

this man has dedication to authenticity.

On a side note DE. I wanted to ask if the melee 2.0 update will change any of the attack animations for slide attacks.

I ask this because I am curious if Zoren-coptor will still work post update.

"I am willing to sacrifice my wings for my fellow Tenno to see the art of swordplay blossom like a lotus upon daybreak."

-- Reinhart

Edited by RElNHART

I was talking about the Wukong thing you responded to.