The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Now That We Know That Warframe And Dark Sector Is Linked, How Are The Tenno And Hayden Linked?

This might spoil the fun, Stalker is The Hayden Tenno. But at this point there is a lot of lore to be put before that makes sense fore ya. But the small connections are there. And why you may ask, why is he hayden tenno? Ask yourself and you might see the answer before you.

This might spoil the fun, Stalker is The Hayden Tenno. But at this point there is a lot of lore to be put before that makes sense fore ya. But the small connections are there. And why you may ask, why is he hayden tenno? Ask yourself and you might see the answer before you.

It was confirmed he wasn't The Stalker on stream #10.

Links...

Hayden Tenno is like a famous mythical warrior and so they Orokin so enjoyed reading history of the past so much they decided to take his last name and stamp the new warriors with it.

Corpus since its a merchant cult its possible one of the companies that originally designed the Jackal lived long enough to merge into the Merchant cult known as Corpus.

Infected, and Infested may or may not be related, or are but more evolved through technology.

Glaive not related at all. Hayden had an organic one, the Tenno in our game have some high-tech nanomachine glaive with a nano gyro, and magnets, and sensors, and some other fancy technology that allows it to spin through the air, and return to its owner.

Grineer armor is a whole new ball game.

IMHO.

Hayden Tenno made a name for himself during the Technocyte apocalypse on earth. Those who followed his credo were referred to as Tenno.

Those of the Lotus organisation were split regarding how they should handle the plague. Some retreated to near orbit and allowed it, the rest fought it and died.

Those who retreated survived and studied the "living metal" that the virus created, from that they created something like what we now know as "forma", using this metal they rebuilt themselves in golden living metal, immortal and above the concerns of humanity, they became the "Orokin". Many year later after much research and the complete fall of humanity the Orokin returned to earth and rebuilt it, building a paradise, they re-created humanity and ruled over them. Only the Orokin could control the forma, and the vassal humanity served them well.

The sentients (whatever they were) could subverts their technology, rendering the Orokin and their vassals helpless. So the Orokin turned to experimentation, resurrecting both the original technocyte virus and experimenting with sending more unshielded humans into the void. Creating humans with powers that both they _and_ the sentients could not control.

Exposure to the void was unpredictable and problematic, the first few useful specimens were entombed in armour and tested against the sentients. They were found to be effective if they relied on their powers and simple weapons that could not be subverted. The Orokin brought back the legends of the warrior code of the old earth, the "Tenno", and gave their deformed freaks a reason to fight for them. However more were needed and the ad-hoc results from throwing humans into the void were not producing enough soldiers for their war. So the Orokin experimented on the "successful" Tenno and tried to find out what made them tick, this gave birth to entire lines of Warframes based on the first few, Warframes that could accommodate any Void-warped unfortunate and carried with them the echo of the powers of their progenitor, allowing those humans with the connection to the Void to use the powers that others had returned with. So they became an army, some echoing the original Ember, or Frost or Nekros etc, each with their own personality but each in some way echoing the persona of the first Tenno to have the Warframe they wore.

During the war the Tenno learned things about the Orokin that soured their once reverent relationship, the remnants of the lotus organisation that died on old earth became a symbol of rebellion and when the Tenno returned, they destroyed all the Orokin and during that progrom cast aside their old Orokin Warframes for ones make by Tenno hands, but they couldn't simply stage a coup, they didn't want to rule, they were too tainted and they turned to the Lotus to oversee the newly free but lost humanity so that she would only wake them if they were again threatened. Cryo-sleep erased the memories and also the heavy weight of guilt.

Edited by SilentMobius

IMHO.

Hayden Tenno made a name for himself during the Technocyte apocalypse on earth. Those who followed his credo were referred to as Tenno.

Those of the Lotus organisation were split regarding how they should handle the plague. Some retreated to near orbit and allowed it, the rest fought it and died.

Those who retreated survived and studied the "living metal" that the virus created, from that they created something like what we now know as "forma", using this metal they rebuilt themselves in golden living metal, immortal and above the concerns of humanity, they became the "Orokin". Many year later after much research and the complete fall of humanity the Orokin returned to earth and rebuilt it, building a paradise, they re-created humanity and ruled over them. Only the Orokin could control the forma, and the vassal humanity served them well.

The sentients (whatever they were) could subverts their technology, rendering them helpless. So they experimented, resurrecting both the original technocyte virus and experimenting with sending more shielded humans into the void. Creating humans with powers that both they _and_ the sentients could not control.

Exposure to the void was unpredictable and problematic, the first few useful specimens were entombed in armour and tested against the sentients. They were found to be effective if they relied on their powers and simple weapons that could not be subverted. The Orokin brought back the legends of the warrior code of the old earth, the "Tenno", and gave their deformed freaks a reason to fight for them. However more were needed and the ad-hoc results from throwing humans into the void were not producing enough soldiers for their war. So the Orokin experimented on the "successful" Tenno and tried to find out what made them tick, this gave birth to entire lines of Warframes based on the first few, Warframes that could accommodate any Void-warped soul and carried with them the echo of the powers of their progenitor, allowing those with the connection to the void to use the powers that others had returned with. So they became an army, some echoing the original Ember, or Frost or Nekros etc, each with their own personality but each in some way echoing the persona of the first Tenno to have the Warframe they wore.

During the war the Tenno learned things about the Orokin that soured their once reverent relationship, the remnants of the lotus organisation that died on old earth became a symbol of rebellion and when the Tenno returned, they destroyed all the Orokin and during that progrom cast aside their old Orokin Warframes for ones make by Tenno hands, but they couldn't simply stage a coup, they didn't want to rule, they were too tainted and they turned to the Lotus to oversee the newly free but lost humanity so that she would only wake them if they were again threatened. Cryo-sleep erased the memories and also the heavy weight of guilt.

That is amazing.

That is amazing.

Not amazing. We know the Orokin, not the Sentients, sent people into the Void. There's no indication of a Lotus organization (unless you're somehow saying that an organization with the Lotus emblem made the proto-warframes). Not only that, but there's no indication of the Orokin being infested with Technocyte or using living metal, nor of forma being living metal or coming from it.

Not amazing. We know the Orokin, not the Sentients, sent people into the Void. There's no indication of a Lotus organization (unless you're somehow saying that an organization with the Lotus emblem made the proto-warframes). Not only that, but there's no indication of the Orokin being infested with Technocyte or using living metal, nor of forma being living metal or coming from it.

I was saying that the Orokin sent humans into the void, I've edited it to be more clear.

I'm referring to the Lotus organisation that was present in Dark Sector, the nebulous "Illuminati-like" organisation that had an hand in Mezners work but also helped Hayden. A secret organisation that was playing both sides of the conflict.

The reason I posit that the Orokin used a modified (Dark Sector Era) technocyte material to make forma is this comment from livestream 10

Warframe takes place waaay beyond that timeframe. Ridiculously after, If you can imagine something like that, something that integrates itself with the body or could be re-purposed as technology this idea of metal that is also alive and changeable and so on, and the way it channels energy, this is deja vu, but we talked about, when we talked about a sequel ages ago we were talking about taking a big leap forward in time and saying "what were the societal repercussions of this idea"

The societal repercussions of a living metal that could be re-purposed as technology?

Well the major societal change for humanity in Warframe was the rule of the Orokin, (Oro=Gold Kin=People) and their golden metal forma tech that is mutable and integrate-able with living and hard-tech, coincidence?

We know the Orokin most likely bleed (from the stalker codex) but were also described as "cold and gold" (Which led some people to thinking robots or AI's). However it sounds like an organic being coated in a living gold exoskeleton to me, which is _very_ much like the effects of the Dark Sector-era technocyte virus.

Finally, the Orokin buildings/primes looks _really_ indulgent, not alien or logical, but opulent, _just_ the sort of thing that you'd expect a small, elite, group of humanity to create when they had all the resources they could ever want and felt the need to portray themselves as near to gods as they could seem to be.

Edited by SilentMobius

If we consider Dark Sector as cannon then.....

We are called Tenno and not Sulek 'coz she died(Hayden killed her) and Hayden Tenno lived, left Lasria and created his "image". You must bet that he was doing stuff after DS story right?

Why we are called Tenno? We may have some technocyte symbiosis stuff, any affections with technocyte but above all we are "children of the Void". Tenno are less about technocyte and mroe about the Void energy, Void influence....

So, we can actually be called Tenno 'coz we are wielding the same armour/exo-suit(warframes) as Hayden Tenno. Seems legit to me.  

At least, we know Warframe technology was older than the Orokin, which brings even more mystery about those exo-suits. 

I believe the Tenno are a familial warrior clan started by hayden, I liken them to the Koga and Iga in basalisk, I also believe that we share the congenital analgesia that allows the technocyte to not completely take over. The powers are an interaction between the technocyte and the void energies. We would be called Tenno because we were the only one who would have that reaction. 

I think that the Orokin simply improved the suits the Tenno already made, to channel the void energies which would be a new thing for the Tenno. 

I was saying that the Orokin sent humans into the void, I've edited it to be more clear.

I'm referring to the Lotus organisation that was present in Dark Sector, the nebulous "Illuminati-like" organisation that had an hand in Mezners work but also helped Hayden. A secret organisation that was playing both sides of the conflict.

The reason I posit that the Orokin used a modified (Dark Sector Era) technocyte material to make forma is this comment from livestream 10

The societal repercussions of a living metal that could be re-purposed as technology?

Well the major societal change for humanity in Warframe was the rule of the Orokin, (Oro=Gold Kin=People) and their golden metal forma tech that is mutable and integrate-able with living and hard-tech, coincidence?

We know the Orokin most likely bleed (from the stalker codex) but were also described as "cold and gold" (Which led some people to thinking robots or AI's). However it sounds like an organic being coated in a living gold exoskeleton to me, which is _very_ much like the effects of the Dark Sector-era technocyte virus.

Finally, the Orokin buildings/primes looks _really_ indulgent, not alien or logical, but opulent, _just_ the sort of thing that you'd expect a small, elite, group of humanity to create when they had all the resources they could ever want and felt the need to portray themselves as near to gods as they could seem to be.

Your theories continue to grow on me

Finally. I don't understand the insistence that Warframe and DarkSector aren't canonically connected. The devs have just short of spelled it out, given that they don't seem to like spelling things out it's as confirmed as anything is going to get, and untill they actually spell something else out confirmed enough for me.

Edited by NevanChambers

Your theories continue to grow on me

I appreciate that, I was quite happy when I found that snippet in livestream 10, as we always talk about the actions and features of the Orokin but rarely think about how DE came up with the idea and thus what sort of story they were trying to tell.

Finally. I don't understand the insistence that Warframe and DarkSector aren't canonically connected. The devs have just short of spelled it out, given that they don't seem to like spelling things out it's as confirmed as anything is going to get, and untill they actually spell something else out confirmed enough for me.

I'm an engineer, when people talk the way DE have about the connection between two products, explicitly avoiding saying the one thing that people assume, that generally means there is a good reason for not saying it. Canon is a really big, weighty thing, and IMHO it's best not used in anger until explicitly confirmed (using the word canon or derivatives) via word-of-god.

Personally I'm pretty sure there are notable parts of Dark Sector that DE don't want in Warframe for story and conceptual reasons, but we shall see.

Hundreds of thousands of years difference at the very least.

Even if DE said, without any beating around the bush, that yes - Dark Sector happened in the same universe - it doesn't really matter when said by itself. 

The connection is behind the scenes. Dark Sector isn't supposed to have a direct or important connection - if we were supposed to see such a thing it'd probably be more obvious in the way the world is structured.

Im gonna point out how you countradict yourself.

First you say hundreds fo thousdands of years difference.

Then you go to say there is a more obvious impact from darksector in how the world is structured.

So 1000's of years cannot change things can they? Hayden is the first it is confimered it is truth, he put down the ground basic's for the other tenno (look at his abilities and then some other warframes =3)

The galaxy has also changed while the tenno were asleep, so hayden his impact is purely centered around the tenno rather than the rest of the system.

Orikin probly saw the potential in the remaining research of Hayden tenno (or if he was still alive at the time), using the technocythe virus to discover which humans had the potential to controll it and use it for their powers.

Then dump them into the void the ones that return are true tenno, the next step in evolution.

Hayden was the first hayden put down the basic's and it will remain so!

I appreciate that, I was quite happy when I found that snippet in livestream 10, as we always talk about the actions and features of the Orokin but rarely think about how DE came up with the idea and thus what sort of story they were trying to tell.

I'm an engineer, when people talk the way DE have about the connection between two products, explicitly avoiding saying the one thing that people assume, that generally means there is a good reason for not saying it. Canon is a really big, weighty thing, and IMHO it's best not used in anger until explicitly confirmed (using the word canon or derivatives) via word-of-god.

Personally I'm pretty sure there are notable parts of Dark Sector that DE don't want in Warframe for story and conceptual reasons, but we shall see.

Amusing I am also an engineer, but generally have not been lead to believe that people choose their words carefully enough. So really it comes down to how much faith each of us puts in that particular idea.

I do apologize if I came across as angry that was not my intent. It's more of a literal head shaking do not understand. My understanding of the story of warframe is liquid and relies only on evidence. As of now the evidence given does point us in the direction of DS being cannon. They could turn around and say tomorrow "no the skin is just a teasing reference the two universes aren't connected" I'd be dissapointed in being horrendously misled but I'd get over it. However, in my defense the livestream before release it was explicitly stated the next week we would recieve origin lore. Unless the dex furis is connected in some obtuse way to the origins of the Tenno it has to be the proto-calibur they were referring to. It would have been easy enough to make it like the armor worn by concept Hayden dispelling that connection, or be something else entirely dispelling both connections but they released the same model as late game Hayden from the released game. If it isn't cannon we are being deliberately mislead. I have no problem if we are really but it seems odd to do. I know I have stated I don't believe words are chosen carefully enough sometimes, but that seems too simple to have been misstated.

The really head shaking thing is the people who insist the military people in emebers lore are Orokin (or the children were) without sufficient evidence (I agree they might be, and were certainly part of the Orokin empire) and also insist that DS isn't cannon despite sufficient evidence that it is (though it still might not be somehow) the again it's entirely possible that I don't have a good enough definition of what "cannon" actually means.

Edit: oh hey mobius, it seems the same group of people always end up in the lore discussion thats not surprising but Im always surprised.I really need to look at names before I reply XD.

Edited by NevanChambers

Why we are called Tenno? We may have some technocyte symbiosis stuff, any affections with technocyte but above all we are "children of the Void". Tenno are less about technocyte and mroe about the Void energy, Void influence....

The technocythe virus is necessary to unlock hidden potential in sertain people, if this is not unlocked throwing in the void does nothing other than killing them or cause unstabbilities.

Plus the technocythe is most likely also used to make the warframes.

First conclusions this thread lead me to

1.we've known for a long while the connection, it was confirmed ages ago in a Dev stream and the introduction of the glaive.

2. No, Hayden tenno should not show up in this time as had been said. It'd be stupid and a pain to explain why unless suddenly the tenno are biologically immortal which would beg the question why freeze them then?

3. Dark Sector is a bastardized version of warframe, the similarities are gonna be from the fact that it was supposed to be warframe. Any homage, references, etc. Is more than likely purely for the fans sake and the description on the proto armor is merely a way to call it a Hayden tenno skin without calling it that directly nothing more.

However, in my defense the livestream before release it was explicitly stated the next week we would recieve origin lore. Unless the dex furis is connected in some obtuse way to the origins of the Tenno it has to be the proto-calibur they were referring to. It would have been easy enough to make it like the armor worn by concept Hayden dispelling that connection, or be something else entirely dispelling both connections but they released the same model as late game Hayden from the released game. If it isn't cannon we are being deliberately mislead. I have no problem if we are really but it seems odd to do. I know I have stated I don't believe words are chosen carefully enough sometimes, but that seems too simple to have been misstated.

So, canon mean that the two game happen in the same universe. That is _everything_ that happened in Dark Sector (It is a linear game, there were no story choices) happened in the past of Warframe. Personally I think that is overstating what the devs have said. I think something similar to DS happened perhaps DS is akin to the movie dramatization of the events that Warframe considers canon, I don't know yet.

However there are a lot of things that have been confirmed as individual connections let me talk about those

The Question in Livestream 10, "Is Hayden Tenno the first Tenno?" DE answered "yes" however. listen to the _way_ it was answered "Yes, I think he was the OG (Original Gangsta?)" To me that is a dev caught on the hop regarding something that hasn't been discussed. Also the way that Steve stresses the distance between tho two stories and that they come from the same "well of ideas"

Also when Sheldon says "The will be some Origin lore next week" (Which obviously was the flavour text on the Proto-excalibur) Steve didn't know what he was talking about, even when he worked it out he was just "oh yeahyeahyeah" as if it wasn't really a big deal. If the lineage of Hayden Tenno played a big role in Warframe I would expect a very different response there.

All of that says to me. Yes Hayden Tenno is the first Tenno and that in Warframe lore _that isn't going to matter_. My guess (only a guess) is that the Tenno will end up having existed well before the Orokin created the first Warframe, and the "Orokin Tenno" will be all that this game cares about for a long time.

I think that DS will just set up the existence of the Orokin and the name of the Tenno. Other than that I think all our lore will stay Orokin-era or later. Thats why I'm cautious about drawing DS into Warframe lore speculation.

Edited by SilentMobius

So, canon mean that the two game happen in the same universe. That is _everything_ that happened in Dark Sector (It is a linear game, there were no story choices) happened in the past of Warframe. Personally I think that is overstating what the devs have said. I thin something similar to DS happened perhaps DS is akin to the movie dramatisation of the events that Warframe considers canon, I don't know yet.

However there are a lot of things that have been confirmed as individual connections let me talk about those

The Question in Livestream 10, "Is Hayden Tenno the first Tenno?" DE answered "yes" however. listen to the _way_ it was answered "Yes, I think he was the OG (Original Gangsta?)" To me that is a dev caught on the hop regarding something that hasn't been discussed. Also the way that Steve stresses the distance between tho two stories and that they come from the same "well of ideas"

Also when Sheldon says "The will be some Origin lore next week" (Which obviously was the flavour text on the Proto-excalibur) Steve didn't know what he was talking about, even when he worked it out he was just "oh yeahyeahyeah" as if it wasn't really a big deal. If the lineage of Hayden Tenno played a big role in Warframe I would expect a very different response there.

All of that says to me. Yes Hayden Tenno is the first Tenno and that in Warframe lore _that isn't going to matter_. My guess (only a guess) is that the Tenno will end up having existed well before the Orokin created the first Warframe, and the "Orokin Tenno" will be all that this game cares about for a long time.

I think that DS will just set up the existence of the Orokin and the name of the Tenno. Other than that I think all our lore will stay Orokin-era or later. Thats why I'm cautious about drawing DS into Warframe lore speculation.

Aye, the Tenno existed before the Orokin but not in the sense as we know them (twisted by the Void with the kinds of powers they have now). Most likely they were just whatever humans were at the time, part of an "ancient and mystical order" that rose up around Hayden Tenno (either started by him or created by someone to honor him).

First conclusions this thread lead me to

1.we've known for a long while the connection, it was confirmed ages ago in a Dev stream and the introduction of the glaive.

2. No, Hayden tenno should not show up in this time as had been said. It'd be stupid and a pain to explain why unless suddenly the tenno are biologically immortal which would beg the question why freeze them then?

3. Dark Sector is a bastardized version of warframe, the similarities are gonna be from the fact that it was supposed to be warframe. Any homage, references, etc. Is more than likely purely for the fans sake and the description on the proto armor is merely a way to call it a Hayden tenno skin without calling it that directly nothing more.

No, it's lore. Dark Sector is the historical past of Warframe. That's been made clear. The description isn't just fan service. That was the lore that the devs were talking about.

So, canon mean that the two game happen in the same universe. That is _everything_ that happened in Dark Sector (It is a linear game, there were no story choices) happened in the past of Warframe. Personally I think that is overstating what the devs have said. I thin something similar to DS happened perhaps DS is akin to the movie dramatisation of the events that Warframe considers canon, I don't know yet.

Good points. I was not using cannon wrong and I also don't think we will ever see eye to eye on lore until its spelled out. That's cool though it makes for interesting discussions.

I recall in the dev stream you mentioned it seemed less that Steve didnt know what it was and more didnt know when it was to be released. Also that they may have a lot of stuff waiting and he didnt know which piece. Anyway, Iirc he said something to the effect of "what? Oh that's getting released next week" though I could be misremembering. I also think you are reading an aweful lot into the way things have been expressed. You see "same well of ideas" and think they didnt like it (maybe cause you didnt?) and only want to use parts from it to make an unrelated game, i see the same thing and think they did like it (definately because i did) and they just adding more confirmation to the game-is-cannon arguement. I agree that this game is highly unlikely to focus much if any attention on the ancient Tenno. The player base, if the forums are to be believed, do in fact focus on that a lot. This is the only reason I want to get it settled there's a lot of other interesting things about the modern Tenno that could be pondered but a lot of that needs the base of the Tenno origins to build on. Who we are in that sense is important even if the actual events of DS aren't.

Edited by NevanChambers

Maybe the void is a space between dimensions/universes that lets you travel from one to the other.

In Dark Sector 2, which never came out, Hayden ends up getting launched into the void and ends up in the Warframe dimension/universe.

The Orokin found him and started experimenting on him but they didnt get to do anything special until they were desperate from the Sentients and develop the Warframes we know of. The first one was Excalibur because they basically copied what Hayden was using.

Maybe the void is a space between dimensions/universes that lets you travel from one to the other.

In Dark Sector 2, which never came out, Hayden ends up getting launched into the void and ends up in the Warframe dimension/universe.

The Orokin found him and started experimenting on him but they didnt get to do anything special until they were desperate from the Sentients and develop the Warframes we know of. The first one was Excalibur because they basically copied what Hayden was using.

If they DID use a "multiverse" explanation, I would HATE this game. I HATE multiverses.

No, it's lore. Dark Sector is the historical past of Warframe. That's been made clear. The description isn't just fan service. That was the lore that the devs were talking about.

You're assuming that dark sector is pound for pound historical canon fact for the lore. I wouldnt think so, hayden tennos relationship to the tenno is fact but in what context? There has been mention of the connections but the exact nature is not known and what is canon and isnt has not been made clear. Also, to really pretend that the skin wasnt fan service? come on now, we cant all be so dense.

Edited by Ecotox

I also think you are reading an aweful lot into the way things have been expressed. You see "same well of ideas" and think they didnt like it (maybe cause you didnt?) and only want to use parts from it to make an unrelated game, i see the same thing and think they did like it (definately because i did) and they just adding more confirmation to the game-is-cannon arguement. I agree that this game is highly unlikely to focus much if any attention on the ancient Tenno. The player base, if the forums are to be believed, do in fact focus on that a lot. This is the only reason I want to get it settled there's a lot of other interesting things about the modern Tenno that could be pondered but a lot of that needs the base of the Tenno origins to build on. Who we are in that sense is important even if the actual events of DS aren't.

No I think there were parts they didn't like based on interviews where they say they didn't want to make a contemporary game at all, and had to adjust their concept for publishers to green light it.

When I hear a phrase like "same well of ideas" it's generally because two different things are being talked about have a common cause. The way that people talk about "correlation does not imply causation."

Actually that hit the nail on the head, everything that DE have said so far boils down to Dark Sector and Warframe are correlated which is distinct from Dark Sector (In world) _causes_ "Warframe"

And just to re-iterate, I like Dark Sector (Some of the boss fights were annoying but that's neither here nor there), I think its canonicity would be really interesting for Warframe, but I have to go with what DE have actually said, which is currently all about "connection" and "same well of ideas" _not_ "This happened verbatim in the past of the Warframe universe"

Edited by SilentMobius