Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Newbs And Trolls And Speed Freaks

Alienami

I'm sure you've all had similar experience since open beta... join an alert or boss mission, do your best to keep up, or you have to stop and help a newb, make a wrong turn, whatever, but there is that ONE guy who decides its a great idea to speed run through the map and leave everyone in the dust...and exit the mission screwing everyone else out of rewards.

Can we seriously do something? I, and my friends, refuse to play unless we are in Private now, its been that bad for us, just as I was starting to actually enjoy playing with randoms instead of hiding away on Private.

I like the idea of having to actually make it out and such, but in reality I believe it hurts the game design to allow people to grief intentionally or otherwise by ditching the rest of the team and screwing them out of rewards.

- Alienami, Closed Beta Veteran.

There should be a radius that no teamate can go through unless his other teamates follow.

A situation that would cause is a troll who just sits at the start preventing people from contining...

A host kick would be a better idea because if the host wants to prevent a speed runner going through, then he can just kick him out.

The reason for this, of course is that everyone wants to clear the systems as fast as possible to receive all the alerts that appear in random parts of these systems.

Not having them unlocked leaves you at the mercy of friendly players who invite from the alert forum threads.

You can't fix that without changing the alert system.

But you COULD send special units after a rusher by determining their distance from the team and spawning obstacles that slow his advance, if not stop it.

How about having Grineer Rollers prioritize rushing players, or having Stalker prey upon lonely players MUCH more likely? :D

There should be a radius that no teamate can go through unless his other teamates follow.

That sounds horrible, like the players are chained together...

There must be less intrusive solutions.

Edited by Sherbniz

I think a simple solution to stop speed rushers is to make it so the timer doesn't start until 2 people are at the evac zone.

Pretty simple. You can rush to the end but you're gonna sit there until at least half the people on your team are ready to go. Your time isn't more important than anyone elses.

Best idea: Undo the change how the game used to be, everyone is rewarded..

Compromise; nerf credit gain to half or none, but allow people to get the end reward or special items they picked up. (I.E. you picked up blueprint or did a ? alert, you still get the ? item reward, but half or no credits.)

Another idea, 2 or 3 out of 4 players must make it to the exit to count down...

Reason not to allow admin kicks: because giving someone admin, what if the troll is the host? Kicks you while he waits in the end or after the boss kill? Vote kick would be a better compromise on the power to kick.

I wouldn't consider not getting a reward a compromise when some one rushes to the end because they think their time is more valuable than yours.

I agree fully, but I am not sure if the devs are willing to undo the system just because we sometimes have issues with such players. So, that is why I called it a "Compromise",

New idea: Maybe give the person a "Deserter" or "Coward" reward for leaving his team behind...I.E. he gets nothing.

I also like the idea of NPCs trying to kill the lead person to slow them, but in lower level missions it would amount to a mosquito trying to kill an elephant and may encourage show offs and such.

Going to bed...keep the ball rolling guys.

Edited by Alienami

Last night I had a problem : I fell in a cell where I needed to wall-jump and didn't know how to. the other guys waited like 5 minutes before continuing without me ! They finished the mission without me, even if I tried the whole time. So, a rule like yours would prevent us from finishing the mission.

everybody is a "newb" in this game even if you would have been test playing it for a month or even weeks, because it is a brand new game after all.

second of all trying to sound better than other players by inventing or using such names makes the game less fun if such players are around.

speeding your way through and testing the game is a good way to find bugs that otherwise might not appear, also if the objectives are done (as i noticed) everybody rushes to the extraction point. scenery viewers and level tourism is stil possible for a while.

i do not see a big problem in this.

Personally. I adore the idea of the Stalker/Rogue Tenno singling out the "straggler" (be it ahead or behind)... As a friend was just discussing with me over Teamspeak, it would also really add a feeling of terror or suspense to being on the wrong end of a lockout instead of a rather depressing "C'mon guys, unlock the freaking door already".

I'm all for additional suspense, as well as possibly more multiple-person objectives or checkpoints (something like the doors that have to be opened by two people, only rather an airlock or something where the entire alive team has to be present) but retweaking the entire reward system to discourage rushing, really isn't the way to go. Complexity isn't necessarily a bad thing either, and if you really want a way to say "Slow down, you rushing nimrod", throw in some more surprise laser gates that aren't bypassable by the conventional methods (The team needs to be present to disable it), that would always get them out.

I like the idea with Stalker. But this would punish players who are lagging behind...

Maybe give a speed boost to players far away from enemies, the objective AND their team, or just give them a teleport button, and have Stalkers go after players who are rushing ahead, far away from their team, closer to the objective and among more enemies.

everybody is a "newb" in this game even if you would have been test playing it for a month or even weeks, because it is a brand new game after all.

second of all trying to sound better than other players by inventing or using such names makes the game less fun if such players are around.

speeding your way through and testing the game is a good way to find bugs that otherwise might not appear, also if the objectives are done (as i noticed) everybody rushes to the extraction point. scenery viewers and level tourism is stil possible for a while.

i do not see a big problem in this.

You're trolling me, right? Just in case you aren't..

1) I've been testing for.. hmm months now? Also, some people learn quicker than others and have higher innate skill in shooters.

2) I didn't invent those names or terms... welcome to the internet, where people are jerks or inferior in skill or completely selfish and care only for themselves. Know what ruins the fun for me and 3 out of 4 people? Being left behind and not getting rewards.

3) No, it isn't a better way to test the game.

4) I have no words..

------

For the Stalker idea, the Stalkers are a joke except for fresh players. And, this creates moral hazard for selfish players to rush ahead to get the kill on the Stalker. This does nothing to solve the problem, only to make it worse no matter how you do it, attacking lead or rear players.

I suggested this

i should make things better.

I thought about that also, it could help, but I do not think it will solve the problem. Worth a try at least.

Really though, on Alerts and Bosses, I want something fool-proof and grief-proof.

I agree Vote Kick is a double-edged sword. I think I am fine without having it, unless it only works on idle players.

I think a simple solution to stop speed rushers is to make it so the timer doesn't start until 2 people are at the evac zone.

Pretty simple. You can rush to the end but you're gonna sit there until at least half the people on your team are ready to go. Your time isn't more important than anyone elses.

I like this idea for the most part. It was stated in one of the Q&A sessions that the reasoning behind the double locked doors was for this reason. It hardly alleviates the problem, but it helps a little.

A bit more complicated technically would be to allow rushers to leave, and keep everyone else in the mission. You get to the extraction zone, wait your 60 seconds, leave the mission and party (or stay in party only with those who left with you, aka the other rushers). The slowpokes get to stay and enjoy the mission without losing their rewards. Rushers will eventually end up in rusher parties (because they'll leave early and stay in the party with others who left early), slowpokes will end up together too.

But don't the devs want to encourage teamplay ?

At the moment rushers can do it because you can solo even with a team. There's som elevels where you can't : the defense missions for instance. But you can't rush a defense mission :P

Maybe add sometimes a defense sub-plot inside a mission ? For instance you're on a sabotage mission, you're caught and have to cipher, but you didn't it in time : waves after waves of enemies come from the ceiling until you cipher as many consoles as the number of players. Each time you have to "defend" the tenno that cipher.

The drawback of such things is that it doesnt encourage teamplay but punish solo play. I think the fact you get xp when you stay close is an excellent thing. Maybe add more bonus ? Like a abetter drop rate for instance an enemy that die will have a 2% mod drop if only one tenno is near, but a 4% mod drop rate if 2 tennos are there, 8% with 3 tennos and 16% with 4 tennos. The exponential progression (2/4/8/16) of the bonus would really help players to stay close.

some of these ideas are pretty good actually, i like the one about not letting you exit without a certain number of players but what happens if someone dies and couldn't get revive for various reasons (it can happen). the bit about letting ppl exit at different times seems interesting but that almost like getting bailed on so not sure how i feel about that one.

basically alot of these are good but probably require insanely complicated scripts that are just asking for long-standing bugs that won't seem to go away. it's definately something they're thinking about though since it was one of the reasons behind the corpus laser doors (though i didn't see the point since they're the only faction that uses them). so there's definately something that can be done, just more difficult to put it into action i suppose.

A host kick would be a better idea because if the host wants to prevent a speed runner going through, then he can just kick him out.

This. Teammates that don't know what the word "team" means really destroy the fun in this game. I'm raging right now because of 3 alerts in a row that were screwed over by 3 different people. I can't even tell who it was that made to the end so I can't put them on ignore. There needs to be a text popup saying "this guy is at the extraction point" for each player that is at the extraction so we at least know who is screwing us.