Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are Crit Chance Mods Additive Or Multiplicative?

krisp

Question

I remember they were multiplicative before update 7 but back then you had passives that made crit mods worthwhile.

So now that they changed everyhing, is that 45% (on a maxed rifle mod) of the maximum crit chance, or 45% of the base percentage?

Because if it's the latter then crit mods are the most useless things in the entire universe and I should avoid them like the plague except if I'm meleeing as Loki or Ash.

Right now it seems like the latter is true, I don't exactly crit 1 out of 2 times. Can anyone confirm with a good source?

12 answers to this question

45% on maximum or on base is the same thing without tree you know.... this is why every1 wants back the freaking skill tree, whatever % the mods add now dont include any of the nodes we used to have that are multiplicative so , the amount 45% is actually lesser than how much it is in pre-update 7

45% on maximum or on base is the same thing without tree you know.... this is why every1 wants back the freaking skill tree, whatever % the mods add now dont include any of the nodes we used to have that are multiplicative so , the amount 45% is actually lesser than how much it is in pre-update 7

By maximum I meant 100%.

By maximum I meant 100%.

well, that can be tested easily if u run around attacking 2 times and 1 of them is crit most of the times, i havent tested this after patch 7 so i cant tell for sure, but anyhow i can guarantee the chance is a whole lot lesser, and i believe its not 45% of 100% now. because they are trying to nerf us, do u think u can get 45% crit really? lol look at the other mods and you know it really isnt going to happen. and btw that weapon should have a base crit itself, so with a 45% mod, if it works on a 100% basis, than u should have above 50% crit rate giving u at least 1 crit every 2 hits.

Yeah it really seems like a bug atm. Crit mods are absolutely worthless.

do u think u can get 45% crit really? lol look at the other mods and you know it really isnt going to happen.

They wouldn't be all that powerful even if it was additive. 45% chance on average means 22.5% dps increase which doesn't hold a candle to Serration's 100% (or 60% at the same rank as crit chance). You need to use crit damage in tandem in which case you've just wasted another mod slot to make the 45% be worthwhile.

It really is a laughable situation.

Multishot increases all your damage output by a %. Crit chance only increases the amount of extra damage you get from crits by a %. Extra damage from crits is usually around 2.4% of your total damage output.

Average damage output is

Base Damage x Damage Multiplier x Multishot Multiplier x (all elemental damages added together multiplier) x (1 + Base Crit Chance x Crit Chance Multiplier x (Base Crit Damage x Crit Damage Multiplier - 1))

A pretty common base crit chance right now is only 5%. I don't know about now, but before update 7 the base crit damage for most weapons was 1.5x. So, with just a crit chance mod, your crit damage is looking like 0.05 x 0.5 x crit chance or 0.025 x crit chance. So, your total damage output is (damage modifiers) x (1 + 0.025 x crit chance). A 45% crit chance mod puts it at 1 + 0.03625, so your damage increases by slightly above 1%.

Throw a 60% crit damage mod on there, too, and your damage is 1 + 0.05 x 1.45 x (1.5 x 1.6 - 1) = 1 + 0.1015, which is a total increase for two mod slots and 18 drain of ~7.5%.

Wow ur kidding me....a 45% crit chance only increases damage by one percent??! So it's not 45% chance to do double damage or it's nothing like a multishot? Why is it so low?

You have the math. A weapon has 5% crit chance, increasing that by 45% means 7.5% total. The 2.5% crit means 1.25% damage increase because crits are 1.5x damage.

all these just say 1 thing, the crit and crit damage mods are right now summarised in 1 word "joke", uncomparable, totally off-scale of what we had in the past, not to mention it over consumes the mod capacity which is already extremely limited.