Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee 2.0 Feedback: Megathread (With Template).

[DE]Rebecca

Weapon(s) used: Reaper Prime

Faction(s) fought: Corrupted

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: None

Thoughts & Experiences: I was able to deal against most enemies, but as of now, without stance mod, it pretty much feels like melee 1.0 with blocking. I will need to get those stances before really judging, but I don't think stances should be EVERYTHING, especially if they don't drop as often (haven't checked the drop rate yet from people's experience.

It's also almost impossible to go "the sword alone" in an Exterminate mission if drones are involved due to jump attacks and melee-targetting system (can't attack where the crosshair is aiming). As an extension, dealing with flying enemies using only melee weapons hasn't changed in how frustrating they can be, even with melee 2.0, due to lack of proper maneuvers (current flashy moves doesn't help with that unfortunately; we also need flashy and useful moves that properly help with damage dealing, stun and maneuver/dodge as a whole).

Further Feedback on that can be found here:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/210003-flying-enemies-aerial-attacks-and-the-sword-alone/

Approximate Time Spent: 1h

Supplementary Info: Mouse and Keyboard ; 2-player mission

Edited by Casardis

Weapon(s) used: Galatine, Orthos Prime, Hate

Faction(s) fought: Grineer, Corpus, Corrupted

Thoughts & Experiences: On top of irritatingly low damage on everything but trash mobs (even when using Channeling with both Pressure Point and Channeling Damage mods installed) the fact that even huge sweeping weapons like the Galatine or Orthos don't seem to be sweeping several enemies strongly seems off. When getting rushed in Melee *before* this update, holding E to charge attack and delivering a strong multi-target sweep was often effective, but now it's all &*$$genized into desperately mashing E and hoping to eventually whittle them all down and move on. The system might work in theory but in the reality of Warframe getting swarmed by more than one enemy at a time is all too common and the lack of something familiar to the old charge attack only serves to slow down the game and take away from the space ninja vibe. Overall though, even channeled melee weapon damage still feels worthlessly low on certain enemies such as Grineer Napalms or Heavy Gunners as it's unfeasible to just stand there buttonmashing on them when they're point-blank blasting you with a rocket launcher.

Approximate Time Spent: 2h

Edited by Badendchan

Weapons used: Fang Prime

Stance: Sinking Talon

Bug(?): cant equip it into melee stance slot, its equiped on weapon QQ.

Same here.

Additional Thoughts: Why do stances have about half a dozen different polarities instead of just one (or none at all)?

Helpful tips:

If you cannot equip the stance mod in the aura section, it is highly possible that you can equip the stance mod in the regular slots of the weapon. Try it.

Weapon(s) used: Obex 

*Used Loki warframe

Faction(s) fought: Grineer, Corpus

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: 

Stance: Grim Fury

Mods: 

Pressure Point (max)

Heavy trauma (unleveled)

Spoiled Strike(max)

Fury(Max)

Killing blow(unleveled)

Thoughts & Experiences:

Overall I think I am pleasently suprised of the new combo system of the weapon I currently used. When I was using the Obex in either Ceres or Jupiter I never truly felt bored of going stealth and just attacking over and over with the same attack. In fact, I rarely used invisibility except when I had to escape a fight. Most of my fights involved me using Radial disarm and using the second Obex combo to kill mobs. I then used the first combo to kill heavies. I felt that alot of variety was placed in this weapon and I think through time and patience, everyone will become used to how the new melee works and use it as another tool in their arsenal.

I will say however, the experience is highly held back by the following:

*Stance mods are hard to get. In order for us to truly experince how great a melee weapon can be we have to farm in order to obtain a single stance. I honestly think this isn't right and at the very least one stance mod to the sword would at least give players a taste of the new Melee system.

*Channeling should be a toggle. I was under the impression that melee would be my LMB and channeling become the E button. Except now it is the other way around. I don't understand why when blocking is on the RMB. Shouldn't attacking and defending go hand in hand and be next to each other for quick selection?

*There needs to be a way to hit airborne enemies easily with melee only builds. This needs to happen for extermination missions and the such.

Fix these issues and im sure people will enjoy Melee 2.0 much more.

Approximate Time Spent: 

6 hours

Supplementary Info: Mouse and Keyboard

Edited by Darkmoone1

Weapon(s) used: Jat kittag

Faction(s) fought: Infestation

Thoughts & Experiences:

While in melee mode when Excalibur uses Super Jump, the melee gets in holster position during the jump animation.

Also wile fighting the infestation, I was wondering how am I supposed to kill a toxic ancient with only melee without dying in the process.

Approximate Time Spent: 5-10 minutes (quick alert mission)

Edited by 7grims

Weapon(s) used: Amphis

Faction(s) fought: Grineer

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: Reflex Coil, Parry, No Stance

Thoughts & Experiences: I had literally the most amazing thing happen to me. I was using the Amphis on Apollodorus, makin' mah way down-town, decided to do a bit of blocking to see how the Parry mod worked. Initiated said blocking, random Butcher runs up to me, AND SLICES MY LOKI IN HALF. D:

No seriously, I have proof.

vP0la0e.jpg

That is a very sliced Loki. Afterwards, the mission didn't fail or anything, but my ghost just kinda stayed there. I couldn't see myself, walk around, shoot, anything. I could aim the camera, switch weapons, zoom in with my Vectis (but not fire with it,) and that was about it. I just ended up quitting before the oxygen ran out, as I hadn't been going for very long.

Honestly I was more just laughing at the absurdity of the whole incident as opposed to being annoyed by it. Definitely something to fix though. :P

Weapon(s) used: Galatine

Faction(s) fought: Grineer

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: Default

Thoughts & Experiences:

Would like to be able to use the "trigger"/Left Mouse for melee once a melee weapon is equipped. It feels very unintuitive to suddenly have a key used to "fire" other equipped weapons, not.

Perhaps segregate a separate set of key binds for when the melee weapon is equipped.

ie. I would like to be able to bind the melee attack to a different button than the quick melee button, so as to be able to use a different button to attack while the melee weapon is equipped. I'd also like to be able to bind and switch the "quick melee" button to "melee channel", while holding a melee weapon in my hands. 

The effect would be that while my controls would remain relatively the same while using ranged weapons, but when I equip a melee weapon in my hands, my key binds would automatically change to a scheme more comfortable for the new melee mechanics; without having to worry about a conflict between key bindings for when I'm holding a gun and when I'm holding a melee weapon.

There are "switch guns" and "switch weapon" key bindings. The "switch weapon" key set should include equipping the melee weapon in the weapon rotation. Why? Because I typically bind weapon swapping to my mouse wheel roll, I cant "hold it down" to equip the melee weapon.

Approximate Time Spent: 30 mins

Supplementary Info:
Mouse/Keyboard, Played Private/Solo

Edited by Ryme

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: Tried equipping fracturing wind on my Ankyros prime. Says "This slot is reserved for Melee Stance Mods."

Same thing happened with:

Iron Pheonix on Dakra Prime and Mire, and Flaling branch on Bo.

Thoughts & Experiences: Going to keep this short and sweet.

Key binding needs TWO different states, one for gunplay (EX: M1-shoot, M2-Zoom, M3-gun block) and another for melee (EX: M1-Attack, m2-Block, M3-Channel Toggle). Currently, one key can be used per action at a time.

I know it's a side effect of adding a new command for melee block, but GUN BLOCK needs to be recoded into the game, can be separate key from melee block.

Melee channeling should have a toggle command just like toggle crouch and toggle sprint.

Weapon(s) used: Galatine Jat Kittag

Faction(s) fought: Corrupted

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: dual mods for corrosive damage and all damage mods

Thoughts & Experiences: These two weapons are too weak for their speed. Their speed needs to be increased. And cannot find the mod to increase stamina which was previously around and many copies of it. Cannot increase stamina. Where is it? Also, other weapons could use better animations if you're going to force people into grinding for stances especially the one handed and dual blades.

Approximate Time Spent: One mission on Pluto with each weapon.

Supplementary Info: N/A

haha,fixed your Glaive/Glaive Prime/Boomerang thingy and etc. Just have to melee attack once and THEN hold charge attack,it'll throw,they still gotta fix it,hope and tell me if it helped! lov this  :3        

Attack + Hold Attack = Throw

( E + Hold E = Throw)

Well, this isn't about a specific weapon, but more about keybinding options.

Can it be possible to have fire weapon and melee attack bound to the same button? (For instance, mouse 1) I know quick melee is a problem for this, so could that get a separate binding option?

P.S. I thought we were also supposed to get "default" stance mods to start out with, that didn't allow combos, but still at least gave us a mod point boost. Is that true?

Ya I would like that to in fact why didn't you do that right of the bat right now I have to change my settings every time I want to equip my sword and there really no difference between quick melee and equipped melee pleas fix this thank you.   

Weapon(s) used: Glaive Prime

Faction(s) fought: Greneer (while not really applicable)

Mods equipped/Stance used:  Fury (maxed), Killing Blow (maxed), Pressure Point (maxed), no stance

Thoughts & Experiences: I decided to run a simple Glaive build to get used to the system before going all endgame and immediately two problems with the Glaive/Glaive Prime showed up.

Problem 1: With the removal of charge speed mods charge speed is brutal on the Glaive. It would be great if Fury affected Glaive charge speed.

Problem 2: You can't throw in melee 2.0 mode. I don't know if this is because I am not using a stance but not being able to throw the Glaive in melee 2.0 mode feels outrageous.

Approx. 10ish minutes

Supplementary info: Mouse and Keyboard, played Solo.

to throw the glaive while in only useing melee weapons you have to tap e then hold e till it throws. its a little tricky but it works.

Weapon(s) used: Dual Zoren

Faction(s) fought: Grineer (Ceres & Exterminate)

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: None of the new mods, except the new version of Rending Strike

Thoughts & Experiences: I was downed while pressing parry (out of stamina) & while downed I couldn't shoot/move & after my teammate peed green mist one me, I couldn't do anything while standing.. Can't even move/attack/use skill.. I was just stuck there while the enemy still notice me & hitting me.. Reviving fixes it, but probably something to look at..

Weapon(s) used: Ankyros Prime

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: Fracturing Wind (stance mod)

Thoughts & Experiences: I can't seem to equip Fracturing Wind Stance mod in the stance slot.. It somehow fits in the normal mod slot but you can't seem to place it in the stance slot.. (the mod points increased as supposed to be) the only problem is just the mod placing..

Weapon(s) used: Heat Sword

Faction(s) fought: Corpus

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: Jagged Edge, Energy Channel, Pressure Point, Reach, Melee Prowess, no stance.

Thoughts & Experiences: i had a lot of fun, thurroughly enjoyed going around with nothing but my blade and slicing people up. at the same time, i found 2 bugs thanks to melee 2.0 directly effecting the weapons, and one effecting the map. 

Approximate Time Spent:30 - 40 minutes

Supplementary Info: used mouse and keyboard, here's a link to the glitches page in the suport forum

Edited by Kingemocut

For sake of this test I ran the same mission, with my favorite frame, solo 4 times, once with each of the melee weapons I have available, in order of acquisition.

Frame was a Lvl 30 Rhino, Vanguard Helm, no reactor, the only power I used was a maxed Iron Skin. Mods were a lvl 4 Rejuvenation aura, lvl 4 Redirection, Level 4 Streamline, basic vigor and undying will. Only melee and a lvl 30 carrier w' lvl 30 shotgun were used as I was unable to unequip the carrier.

All Melee mods unranked, as Melee has been at best mastery fodder to me so far.

Used Mouse, keyboard, my desktop PC.

The mission was Apollodorus, the mercury survival, so all 4 tests were against Grineer.

Fang prime 30

No stance

Melee Prowess, North wind, fury, fever strike, Focus Energy, Molten Impact.

20min 19s

Fang Prime no longer feels as rapid or as poised, block animation very dull, static. combo counter easy to overlook and counts down very fast.

Walking stance with twin daggers looks lazy, lacks poise.

Channeling attacks and keybinds for melee feel very clunky and awkward at first but starting to see point by end.

The disintegration effect on a channel kill feels, very pg 13, sanitized and kid friendly, censored and clinical.

Dark Dagger 19

No Stance (seriously, who thought *another* RNGate was a good idea?)

Melee Prowess, fever strike, Focus Energy, Molten Impact

18 min, 15s ( & was glad when it was over)

Much better idle stance and fidget animation.

Do not like being dragged forwards by melee animation, especially so inconsistently.

the forwards lunge every third strike keeps pulling me out of the action as it abruptly usurps control from me.
Spent an appreciable amount of time doubling back after the third strike lunge made me overextend.

Fighting the weapon for control actually tiring.

10 min in, starting to feel fed up, I am not the master of my fate, but a cog in a committee, my planed position a compromise between me, and the 3 basic strike animations.

Much less gore than I am used to, what should have been all eviscerated grineer and sanguine excess was left feeling sanatised, child friendly.

Attacking on slopes is awful. All the animations are of horizontally aligned blows which means attacking doen slope you wve a blade over the targets head, and up slope you whack awkwardly at ankles.

Also, *enough* with warframe powers as random drops please? Its bad enough that you RNGate the much anticipaed much delayed completely over hyped melee 2.0, but Ive found 3, yes 3! completely useless to me Hydroid powers in this exercise so far.

If you think that makes me want to go find it you severely overestimate my susceptibility to a poorly disguised skinner box.

Lecta 20

No Stance ( I *wonder* why?)

Melee Prowese, Focus Energy, Fever Strike, Reflex Coil.

18 min 18s.

Feels very loose, languid, no urgency. Striking arc and range change one blow to next, feels very imprecise.

Stair attack problem even more pronounced.
By 6 min mark was already wishing this was over.
Not sure if it was waxing boredom, changes to Survival missions, or whim of RNG, but I found myself lower on oxygen more of the time with this weapon.

In future will actively avoid using this weapon.

Glave 28

No Stance ( but I'm meant to grind for 2 more months to possibly get a stance that works with it yeah? No.)

Melee Prowess, Fever Strike, Focus Energy, Molten Impact, Shocking Touch, Fury.

18 min 34s

First up, the change to Glave throw? Utter debacle. Not only is the tap-hold to throw hideously clunky but its imprecise, and inconsistent. Please change thrown weapons to work like the Drakgoon. tap to fire/melee attack, hold to charge, release to unleash charged attack. Also, must charge faster, but above all else must be able to hold charge for our moment.

On with test!

this is where the gore was! Much more satisfying weapon to use than Dark Dagger.
Love the soft metallic chime as you block, and the spinning flourish.

Controls that were awkward, now second nature, but can see ground to feel its inconsistent and unintuitive.

Combat in melee with glave feels sharp, poised, savage.-But I do urge you to rent Tron Legacy for a more refined and fluid take on a very similar weapon.

Of the tested weapons, Glave stands as the only one I might catalyse.

Overall. While this is an improvment to the game, I genuinely cannot see where the time has been spent. You specifficly pointed people at the glave with alert and dev stream, and yet its hobbled and barely useable as more than a flashy cestus. Far from releasing a clean polished bug free bit of code, you've added bugs. That might be forgivable even understandable, if not for the fanfare last week and 11th hour delay that followed.

The trend of placing increasingly basic content behind increasingly arduous RNG gates is distressing. I think this is the first time since I started playing, I could see myself not-playing. The hoops I'd have to jump though to get the new frame? Despite finding it intreaging in looks and powers? Made me flatly loose intrest.

I haven't had a chance to try combos. But I also don't think I care to. The extra layers of grind and complexity in a game that already struggles to explain basic concepts of its workings to new players. The advantages to melee would have to be truly spectacular to make it attractive as an alternative to gun play.

In summary, it feels like every good idea you had, was countered by either a bad one, or a deeply flawed implementation. The fact that I found 2 of the 4 weapons I tested to be literal ordeals should be telling.

Weapon(s) used: all

Faction(s) fought: all

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: parry maxed

Thoughts & Experiences: well, since you guys still didn't implement any controllers support, i had to map everything with xpadder,

result - i'm glad i can play warframe the way i play dark souls now.

now, let me share my configuration with you, so may be you will find if usefull for implementing on PS4

http://goo.gl/6KvMo9

GIVE US CONTROLLERS SUPPORT. REALLY

Approximate Time Spent: some time

and allow us to use .png extention on forums, no fun at all.

Edited by n7snk

Thoughts and Experiences: It greatly upsets me that the stances have to be rare drops. We were excited for Melee 2.0 because of the combos, and they're locked behind these walls. Now we have to either grind for them, or transmute rare mods and hope that we get them. We don't even get any starting stances, so the big draw of Melee 2.0 is locked away from us.

The only thing I want to add is I would like a toggle channel option. For channel based builds, having to hold down the button can be a little annoying.

Another thing, a small thing on the side of the screen showing what buttons are being pressed (Think of Tekken practice). Optional of course. It could help pulling off some of the combos. 

Other than that, loving the new system. 

Keyboard and mouse by the way. 

Edited by DecapitatingJim

This won't fit the template since it applies to a Warframe's use of melee.

Suggestion:  Make Excalibur's abilities work better with combos and extend combo chains.  He's a melee focused frame, and Slash Dash should rack up combo chains and Radial Blind should extend the time he's got to keep chains going (during the animations the chain timer's decay should be suspended).  Radial Javelins could also be changed to count as a "melee" attack so if he executes it, enemies struck count as combo attacks and the combo timer decay suspended while animating.  This would give him fluidity with a focus on melee that would be unique to him in this new system.  It should also enable him, if played well, to attain some serious damage potential with melee if the number of enemies available to him permits.

Also, I had hoped that melee 2.0 would address another problem as well.  Chaining jump attacks into combos is difficult and was difficult even prior.  The player has to completely stop taking actions for a moment before the jump key registers during melee.  This makes it awkward to use.

Edited by Mal-content