Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee 2.0 Feedback: Megathread (With Template).

[DE]Rebecca

Weapon(s) used: Many

Faction(s) fought: All

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: Basic setup, everything maxed out. No Stances (haven't dropped them yet)

Thoughts & Experiences:

So without stance I'll give a quick first impression, which I will update/expand once I drop some stances on the weekend (I'll get them on the go eventually, until then I don't care about stances/combos).. Pretty much I will follow Brasten in my experience/complains:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/209322-melee-20-feedback-megathread-with-template/page-2#entry2459663

First of all I'm a dedicated shooter player so I'll always bind weapon-switch on the mousewheel... But much to my dissapointment I realized the Melee weapon won't be selected when I use the regular weapon-switch to switch through all the weapons, because it is a seperate action I've to bind yet on another key. That or I would have to hold the button down for a short period of time... But good luck trying that with mouse wheel up/down!

I'd be astonished if somebody of the Dev-team is able to hold the scroll wheel down when scrolling scrolling down/up... The guys who implemented that ever thought about people that use the scrollwheel to switch between weapons like it is STANDARD in 99% of all the other first/third-person games?

I could solve that by using "Mousewheel-click" to switch to Melee-mode and using Mousewheel up/down to switch between regular guns. But since there are a maximum of 3 weapons you can carry into a game it would be better if the mouse-wheel would be used in general to switch between any weapon (not for switching between skills because I know nobody who triggers Warframe skills that way it's just too unreliable). You can always select the other two weapons either by scrolling up or down. So the weapon switch could be improved. It's redundant to have 2-3 bindings for basically the same feature.

Still I shouldn't have been forced to do that in first place because to speak in plain Unreal Tournament and Quake experience: IT SUCKS. ^_x

-----

Next up I've the feeling to use the melee attack with my left mouse button once I have a Melee weapon equipped... But I can't because Melee-channeling is bound to the left mouse... and I've still use the quick-melee Button to perform attacks. And on top of that I've to hold down the left mouse button all the time when I want to channel instead of it being a toggle-able-feature.

That whole experience is just awkward somehow... It's against every natural feeling I have had back in the past 17 years of playing games. I can't help but feel that it should be the other way around once you're in melee mode. Left mouse for attacks and quick melee button to toggle channeling on/off. Every stereotypical bullsh*t shooter and every first/third person RPG with Melee elements uses the left mouse button for attacks when you've that particular weapon equipped and right mouse button for blocking.

Some of them have Main attack to left, block to the right and a special combo-button on a third OR main attack and Alternative attack bound to Left/Right and Block to a third... BUT I've never heard of a game where the basic attack is NOT on the left mouse button in a dedicated Melee mode, making Warframe the first one that broke that holy rule and that's why it feels crappy in usage. Why abandon something that has worked for over 2 decades?

So after the mere frustration about that I tried to change the keybinding but I realized that I can only use the left mouse button for guns OR for melee attack but not both... So I'm stuck with that situation, which I find very uncomfortable because it would be much more convenient to use the left mouse button while in Melee mode.

I've bound my quick melee button to the thumb-button on my mouse, because that's okay for Quick Melee... So I think I will be having trouble performing the combos if I've to use the thumb-button on the mouse to do them... it makes my thumb sore pretty FAST... Because for quick melee the thumb-button is okay as it doesn't happen this often, but for something in-depth like combos and Melee mode it's NOT and I'm generally not a friend of binding the melee button to the keyboard. :D

------

If it stays that way with the keybindings I won't find myself using the Meleemode very often because it's just too awkward to handle for general usage... I'll stay with quick-melee then and that's it, which would be a shame with all the work that has gone into the system now... and everything boils down that it's just crippled because of some keybindings. :/

------

Also haven't dropped a single Stance-mod for any melee weapon yet after 5 hours of trying to get them from some of the known bosses/enemies... It's just getting ridiculous now.... We have this new Melee system with all the stances and combos and what not and some people that are out of luck with the drops won't be able to use it properly because of how it is hidden behind a grindwall.

TL;DR:

The keybindings are crippled beyond usabillity. I can't and I won't adapt to something awkward like this, that's against every natural feeling and rule that has been established in gaming industry and has become standard in 99% of all games released over the past two decades:

• Long press to switch to Melee mode is Bullsh*t because it's not reliable on every input device, especial mousewheel up/down, which I use to switch between weapons.
  • Use the weapon-switch key to switch between all 3 weapons by default.
  • Put Melee attack on the Left Mouse button and the toggle-able Channeling on the Quick-Melee button while in Melee-Mode. Or give the melee-mode it's own seperate bindings altogether.

If the third doesn't change I will continue to use the button-mashing that Quick-Melee has been before U13. :X

Approximate Time Spent: 2 hours so far Melee only. 3 hours of normal gameplay with switching to Melee-mode only occassionally.

Edited by MeduSalem

Weapon(s) used: Dex furis, Gram. No rifle equipped. 

Faction(s) fought: Grineer. 

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: Pistol ammo mutation. (Most likely only relevant mod in this case) No stance mods.

Thoughts & Experiences: Ran out of ammo in pistols, was forced to switch to melee weapon, but was unable to switch back to pistols, even after more ammo was acquired for pistols. Use of the switch weapon button and the switch rifle button had no effect. After being killed and then reviving, was able to use pistols again. 

Approximate Time Spent: ~10 minutes. Left at first chance of defense mission. 

Supplementary Info
: Mouse and keyboard. Co-Op match.

Weapon(s) used: Dakra Prime

Faction(s) fought:Grineer

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: Fury

Thoughts & Experiences: Feels like the attack speed and spin attack speed were drastically reduced even when the melee weapon is equipped on its own. Mostly the spin attack feels wrong in melee 2.0, there is no more double slash and the spin attack feels slower. Also: Fury seems to not help this issue in game. Overall, unhappy that the dakra prime feels like a skana now.

Approximate Time Spent:Since U13 dropped.

Supplementary Info
: Mouse/Keyboard & Coop/solo

Weapon(s) used: Skana

Faction(s) fought: Grineer

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: none

Thoughts & Experiences: It was too fun I forgot to hit life support

Approximate Time Spent: ??

Supplementary Info: I thought the channeling lasts a few seconds each press, so I pressed the channeling button and see no damage change, it's pretty tricky to keep pressing that button while you're overwhelmed by hordes of enemies

Weapon(s) used: Ankyros, Fang Prime

Thoughts & Experiences: Melee makes a lot more fun now. Stamina seems to really matter now. I thought stances will be supplied with every weapon? seems like more mods to farm for

Also, the controller support seems bugged. While I can totally fine switch to melee by holding my "switch weapon" button (Y), block and channeling buttons are reversed meaning "aim" triggers "channeling" while "fire" triggers "block" It is however not that bad but I had to rethink about key bindings.

Side note: poor overall controller support. During missions fine, exit to main menu impossible, e.g. "ok" won't be recognized at entry "abort mission"

Approximate Time Spent: 20 minutes

Supplementary Info: XBOX 360 Controller, Solo

Weapon(s) used: Heat Dagger

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: Max Sundering Strike, Max Pressure Point, Max Reach, Max Fury, No stance

Thoughts & Experiences: A ton of fun, but there are a few bugs. All of my experiences tonight have been with just my Ash and Heat Dagger.

Approximate Time Spent: One hour

Supplementary Info: I have already ran across a few bugs/oversights that have hindered my progress.

#1: I went to fight Kela de Thaym and got into a duel with a Roller partway to her location. While trying to lunge at the nimble fellow, I ended up rolling forward while I was blocking, and the Roller jumped over me and registered a hit as we passed by one another. When I was standing again, my camera was moved down slightly, as shown in the screenshot, and I could no longer attack.     http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=247590719

#2: I ran across a disrupto-door and promptly realized I could not shoot it to disable the disruption.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=247590560

Outside of these two instances that gave me pause, everything else is absolutely amazing and fun. I do not think I will ever use a gun again. I cannot wait to obtain some stances.

THIS!

Also please make it a little bit more obvious which stances are for which weapon types. The first stance I found was seismic slam and I just looked for a matching polarity (D) which I had on the Lecta but I could not equip it. So I looked at the picture (which should not be necessary because it might be a horrible way of conveying information to newer players) and found the Furax in it. Since I don't own a pair for Furax I thought "surely this must be a fist weapon punchy style" so I went for the Kogake which did not let me equip the stance.

Ugh, this.  I just got my first stance and have zero clue what weapon type it's for.  This is a really messy, and unintuitive system.  I was honestly kinda lead to believe that stances wouldn't be this restrictive which is really sucking the fun out of melee 2.0.

Please let us choose which key to use for which action in which mode (gun / melee.)

And a dedicated "switch to melee" key would be great; holding a key shouldn't be the only option.

EDIT: There's a switch to melee key, at least. My first point still stands.

Edited by Bassem

Weapon(s) used: Galatine / Dual Ichors / Scindo / Jat Kittag

Faction(s) fought: Grineer / Corpus

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: Fury (maxed) / Second Wind (Rank 4) / Quick Rest and Marathon (Rank 4), no stance mods yet

Thoughts & Experiences: Blocking bullets is pretty fantastic and feels great. I find that I'm having issues keeping any amount of stamina when using fast attacking weapons like the Dual Ichor, even with second wind / quick rest and marathon. It seems like they drain far more stamina than they should, in my opinion. Heavy weapons like the Jat Kittag and Scindo feel right.

Approximate Time Spent: roughly an hour and a half

Weapon's Used: Nikana (18)

Factions Fought: Corpus and Grineer

Mods Equipped/Stance Used: Tranquil Cleave, Pressure Point, Spoiled Strike, Fury, North Wind, Virulent Scourge, and Focus Energy.

Thoughts and Experiences: Yes the new melee system is a lot more fun to use as it opens up new ways of playing the game, but it just feels so awkward to use.

It is very difficult to alternate in between ranged and melee weapons depending on the situation, struggling to pull out a rifle after killing some trash mobs to see a heavy walk in from down the hall, or not being able to equip the melee weapon fast enough to start hacking away at a heavy close by. Then there is the inability to tie both the fire and melee button to the left mouse button depending on the mode, which kind of defeats the purpose for carrying both types as I find it difficulty to pause for a combo with my left hand, so I just channel and spam until a heavy unit dies. Then there is the bloody Osperies, try hitting one with a Nikana where the only way to do so is to do a slide attack in mid air at the perfect distance...After an hour, all I want is to watch them burn in hell. Some weapons such as the Kogake (tried out the move set for a few minutes) definitely feel like they're in the right place, but I have a feeling that it isn't just the Nikana that's in desperate need of some fixes, but a general quality of life change to the system would benefit it greatly.

To be honest, I found the entire system a lot more fun before Damage and Melee 2.0 where I could freely switch it up without having to wait. Such as using the Galatine's normal melee to stun AND chill a charging ancient, followed with a charge attack into a point blank Sobek blast.

Controls: Keyboard and mouse for tonight, I'll see if its any better with a controller after class and work.

Time Played in U13: 2 Hours.

Edited by SagamiYusuke

Weapon(s) used: (in order)  Dakra Prime,  Glaive, Gram, Jat kittag, Fang.

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: Pressure Point, Fury, Killing blow.

Thoughts & Experiences: I enjoyed playing around with nothing but melee and had fun blocking and staggering enemies to get "stealth kills" on them.  Though a lot of what i experienced was left empty without the stance mods (didnt see one in the whole 2000 or so grineer i killed.)  The glaive was unable to be thrown. Seemed to slingshot around with my Dakra prime and fangs just as easily as using duel zorens.  While holding the Jat Kittag or gram the character held  the weapon in one hand straight up and down as if it was resting on the ground like a staff weapon which obviously it wasnt and it looks horrible (
http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/3281178331719204885/4E761032DECE139A6E6EB46CAF2E71E5D0B35D1C/).  The Jat kittag feels pointless and lost the charm of having a Jet engine on it without being able to charge it.  I loved the new default attacks with the fangs specially that dash and thrust on the fourth strike was very satisfying to finish of an enemy with the main attacks than to thrust into another and kill them with that.  For my final thoughts why are stances mods?  Why is melee still E and prime Mouse 1 as a long time gamer that's disorienting and annoying I would like to see an option to invert that without screwing up the rest of my controls. (I understand you may have released this without it being... fully polished so id just like to see the animations looking... better instead of very doll like)

Approximate Time Spent: Roughly 20 minutes with each weapon (1:40:00)

Supplementary Info
: Mouse/keyboard, solo, 

Edited by KoJeT

Weapon(s) used:   Galatine

Faction(s) fought: grineer

Thoughts & Experiences: booooring

a weapon that looks so heavy should not have a combo sistem, at least not one that looks like that, it just looks weird, and it looks worst when you notice that the character is running with such a giant weapon holding it in one hand, and with most of the weight balancing at the point way up, and i was playing rhino, it must look way worst with a small character like mag

i suggest change the animation and turn the weapon upside down and run with it by dragging it on the floor

and a lot of the fun on the weapon is now missing since the main objective of the galatine was always the destruction potencial of his spining charge attack wich was awesome, fun, and damn it felt powerfull 

idk if the stances thing may add something that make the weapon feel powerfull again, but without that the galatine does not attract me now 

and i reeeeeeeeally hope for the stances and stuff to be a common drop, otherwise it would take much more time to find an atractive and perfect weapon for each player now 

Approximate Time Spent: 1 1/2 hours

Supplementary Info: i played just melee and it was good i guess but by reading other feedback i can see the confusion with the keys

Weapon(s) used: Glaive, Ether Daggers, Jaw Sword

Faction(s) fought: Grineer, Corpus

Mods equipped/Stance used:  Fury (maxed), Pressure Point (maxed), Rending Strike (maxed), No Stance

Thoughts & Experiences: Glaive has severe issues in Melee 2.0-the charged throw is extraordinarily slow now, taking 3-4 seconds to charge up, and its base damage and attack speed are very low. It gets a lot better with maxed Fury, but is barely usable out of the gate. Furthermore, there is no method of using the Glaive throw while melee weapons are equipped, which is strange, because from the Harvester's special mission we know that you can have default unarmed attacks while lacking a melee weapon.

I'd think the Glaive needs a better throw, and some method of throwing it while equipped. If thrown, the Warframe should default to basic hand to hand combat w/no stance while the 'melee weapon' is equipped.

Other weapons are okay, although the Ether Dagger default 'slash dash' seems to have a very narrow effect radius.

Supplementary info: Mouse and Keyboard, played Solo and Online.

Weapon(s) used: Glaive (Thrown Melee), Jat Kittag (Heavy Melee), Nikana (Sword), Fangs (Fast Daggers)

Faction(s) fought: Grineer, Corpus

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: None.

Thoughts & Experiences:

Now, keep in mind that I am providing this feedback because I love the new melee, and I just want to see it reach full potential. None of this is meant to be "whiney", but rather observations and testing with the new system.

***HOTFIXED. WIP.*** 1. Cannot throw Glaive, which is the primary reason for my use of the Glaive. If a stance is needed for this, it should be revisited as the Glaive/Kestral are designed as thrown weapons first and striking weapons second.

*UPDATE* Now the Glaive will throw by a quick 'tap+tap hold' to throw, which is functional, but still rather clunky. It is rather tricky to to it to work, which means a lot of people may be unable to figure it out. I believe one of the devs said somewhere this will be smoothed out. I hope that tapping will strike and holding will throw without the need to tap, then hold. It appears that now the Glaive works with channeling two ways: Channel then throw for a more powerful throw, or throw then click channel to instant recall the Glaive. Impacting an enemy with a normal throw or recalling the Glaive has an AOE explosion now as well.

Problems: Since charge speed functions have been remove from the game, the throwing animation is back to stock with the Glaive (Read: Slow and unwieldy in a firefight). I have an idea for a solution to remedy this with little impact: Could the Whirlwind mod be tweaked to also improve the "wind-up" animation of throwing the Glaive as well as improve the flight speed?

***HOTFIXED.*** 2. There are two Nikanas for sale on the market, one of which does double the damage of the other. I spent platinum (obviously) to purchase the weaker one (which is on the featured page) and feel like I got ripped off. I do not know what that is about. Otherwise, I need to test this with stances before I can give any feedback on accuracy of kendo styles. For now, it appears as Iaido-based strikes, albeit that is with creative license (which is perfectly fine). I do hope with other stances the 'frame will use proper men, kote, do, and tsuki strikes.

3. The Jat Kittag feels perfect even with no stances, but the idle animation feels silly... I mean, the 'frame is holding the thing up like a flag pole. The 'frame should at least rest it on his/her shoulder if holding it with one hand.

4. The Fangs is a tough one... on one hand, I feel like the attack animations are a bit more fleshed out, but considering that it now does one attack per melee button press and so is significantly slower, I feel like that it's soul is gone (that being the blindingly fast twin daggers). With respect, it's damage has been buffed to compensate for the speed loss, but I don't feel like I am using the Fangs anymore.

Now, off weapons, let's get to the important part: Enemy AI and collision issues. AI is broken. Because of the new melee interaction I assume you all put in, I have encountered several scenarios where I rushed to a Lancer whilst blocking and watched him stop shooting and do nothing else. He literally just ran in a circle as if his response parameters were not correctly triggered for either melee or ranged aggro.

I also notice some severe graphical collision issues occasionally when performing a channeled melee strike, where the enemy (not dead) will fly straight up into the air as if they were Zephyr. I think this may have to due with the new melee collision.

Approximate Time Spent: Since update pushed until I posted this... I was even doing tests while typing this up.

Supplementary Info: I use a Logitech G13 gameboard and mouse. I set the graphics to higest settings with a nVidia GTX 650 Ti Boost and experience no crashes or loss of frames.

Edited by Angelus_de_Mortiel

Weapons used: Galatine and Ether Reaper

Faction fought: Grineer

Thoughts & Experiences: While I was skeptical on how good melee 2.0 was going to be, I was actually shocked by how fluid it felt. Granted it wasn't like a hot knife through butter, but this is definitely a step in the direction. I had various mods loaded on both weapons and don't quite remember all of them. I had Pressure point(maxed) Fury(rank 4), and reach (max) and from just those I could tell there was an overall increase in damage. I do like the combo damage bonus, but it feels like frames are sluggish and clumsy in flow from enemy to enemy. It may be because I was using a slow frame (Saryn with Hemlock helm), but maybe when melee is equipped there could be some kind of speed increase, if even slightly. Another possibility would be to change the Rage mod to add a speed increase for every enemy killed. I'm sure there's a work around in there somewhere. 

Also when switching from a primary to melee only(vice-versa) and secondary to melee only (vice-versa) then back there can be an issue of holding both weapons at the same time. I remedied this by just doing the quick attack with primary equipped.

Approximate Time Spent: 1hr(?)

Supplementary Info: Controller Coop

meleel 2.0 is  0.50 a step back. no charged attak, the charged attak was a good ideea,  no block,(only if you equip

melee) and combo? no luck for me to see a combo. the only new in 2.0 is that you hold the melee in hands... oh and add new trowing melee for ex my post :) https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/147661-phase-1-melee-weapon-concept-submissions/?p=1758751 

Weapon(s) used: Dual Kamas, Kestrel ,Paris (as primary weapon, for the bug)

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: no stance

Thoughts & Experiences:

well, effectively, it feels strange to have to press the melee button instead of the left mouse button, i guess i'll need a time to keep this in mind. But the gameplay with my dual kamas is not so bad.

I feel scammed that i can't throw my kestrel in melee 2.0... What the purpose of having if i can't throw it?! And due to the chanelling changements, it takes soooo long to launch this fcking piece of metal on a lancer's face ><.

Got a strange bug, when i throw my kestrel, then switch to melee 2.0 : When my warframme catch the kestrel the animation freeze, then my warframe is stuck in this position until i throw my kestrel anew and recieve it when i hold my weapons in hand. Even if i jump, fall, roll, sprint, bend my paris or if i jump into the void, the animation still not finish.

Approximate Time Spent:

2 missions ~ 40 mins

Trivia : I don't speak fluent english... Srry about that.

Weapon(s) used: Jat Kittag

Faction(s) fought: Grineer

Mods equipped/Stance used: Random assortment of mods, No Stance.

Thoughts & Experiences:

- Damage, ok.

- Energy Channeling looked meh, all I could see what a glow from my hands.

- The colorful shiny corpses flying away and disintegrating is completely unsatisfactory for an attack is supposed to be super powered.. 

- Combo meter doesn't feel to scale fast enough. The first multiplier comes at 5, which is ok, but after that it needed another 20 hits for the weapon to receive the next multiplier. There is rarely enough enemies, or strong enough enemies, around to even get close to that. I think the scaling should increase at 5, 15, 25 etc.

- The "melee out" animation looked like absolute crap. Looked like Rhino was holding Jat Kittag as a small stick in one hand.

- Disappointed over that Jat Kittag doesn't feel like a jet-powered hammer when you swing it. If this is what the initial look on Melee 2.0 looks like.. I don't think I will like the rest.

Underwhelming and disappointing, all in all.

Approx. 30-45 minutes (1 Sabotage and 2 Exterminates)

Supplementary info: Mouse and Keyboard, played Solo.

Edited by se05239

Thoughts & Experiences: 

I cannot comprehend the reason behind locking the majority of your new gameplay behind the RNG. Why not just hand out some basic stance mods and have the rest be rare drops or whatever? I'm done with this ridiculous grind for now.

Weapon(s) used: Galatine and Korus

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: Tried a bunch of different ones since the new system seems to have rendered old builds moot, none came close to producing old results.

Thoughts & Experiences:
The new sysem is clunkier with ulitmately pointless complexity while still failing to offer any real reason to use melee over guns I can see. In point of fact first impression is that melee is worse then it was as in addtion to being less intutive it's slower to deploy when needed and the new system results in akward fumbling between ranged and melee when compared to the old approach.  I rather quickly relized it was all flash, no substances. Simply shooting things and using quick melee only is vastly, vastly more effective and intutive.

Equip a rapid swinging weapon and simply spam it if you need melee (enemy close during a reload or the like) would be my advice, it now takes entirely too long to get out a weapon and then "channel" it for anything else to really be worth it from a pure effectinvess point of view.

Channeling in particualr also appears to be completle crap compared to the old charge system. Even with +Channeling mods and a raft of +damage mods I could not get Galatine to one shot even a level 20ish mobs while channeling and it pretty much just tickled heavies. I had to wail on them with repeated swings to kill them all while being blasted in the face. That's god awful, that weapon used to have like a 40% crit rate when buffed and hit for like over 10k damage when it crited and one shotted any trash mob and many heavies up to like level 35 easily. Now you have to stand in the middle of them like a dunce wailing away in "combos" and taking a tons of damage for the trobule. 

Simply spraying with a well modded rifle is still vastly more effective, honestly even more so given how slow the new system to kill is shooting and powers are even more perferable then before. Overall I must judge these changes a complete failure in encouarging melee gameplay because they clearly fundmentally did not understand the problem to begin with. In order for melee to be viable in a game with potent firearms it must be fast, intuitive, and immediately lethal. Given how rapidly enemies can lay damage on you, particuarly if they're in any sort of cluster, a system that requires you to stand around in the open like a doucne "comboing" is utterly doomed and a complete step backward.

This entire chnage was clearly very poorly thought out, it adds nothing useful and in fact removes some aspects of the old system that worked. The ONLY neat bit is blocking bullets, this could have been added to the old system though as a function of the old block that didn't require the extra step of equpping the weapon. Would have been faster to deploy when needed and much more intutive. 

D- overall, would be an F without the bullet blokcing.

Approximate Time Spent: about an hour

Supplementary Info: Also as mentioned in pretty much every post here the default key binding arrangement is awful, was this tested at all? 

Thoughts & Experiences:

I found it somewhat problematic that  quick melee and regular melee key are the same in the key bindings, so that you can't assign it to the left mouse button without overriding the primary fire binding there. Currently i bypassed it by assigning it to the fourth mouse key, so i don't have to press E all the time while moving, but it feels pretty counter intuitive that i constantly have to hold my index finger over a mouse key that i barely use, unlike when shooting a gun where i use it constantly.

More in depth feedback from me later.