Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee 2.0 Feedback: Megathread (With Template).

[DE]Rebecca

Weapon(s) used: Orthos, Jat Kittag, Glaive, Skana

Faction(s) fought: Grineer, Corpus

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: No Stances, All Channel mods

Thoughts & Experiences:

Melee 2.0 is pretty good - however I find that I am running out of stamina too quickly in between enemies that I am finishing off - all of it gets used running from enemy to enemy or blocking while walking from enemy to enemy. Once I get into range a full channel build does wreck their faces, but then I am left walking towards the enemy getting shot at like a chump. I realise that a stamina build could be the answer for this but I feel that is only a bandaid to the problem that blocking, melee attacks and running draw from the same stamina pool.

I suggest that running not drain stamina while a melee weapon is equipped.

I realise that this is going to encourage rushing even more - but given coptering is already a thing I see no reason why DE continues to make stamina drain three things at once.

On the flip side, I really enjoy dumping insane damage through channeling - however evaporating bodies does render Nekros's Desecrate to even more marginal use.

My other gripe is that the Jat Kittag does not feel like a hammer weapon due to its idle animations. Glaive is also gimp as hell because of no charge time reduction mods anymore.

As a side note, Survival with its unit cap is boring as hell. Or is your gentle start code broken?

Will update as I play.

Edit: Spent 3 hours farming for Stance mods. Got two. Maybe start people out with one basic one? I mean this is a system you have been touting for a while and you took our charged attacks away too.

Edit: Maybe lengthen then input windows for pauses or use the block/channel as a spacer because trying to get the combos to fire with the timing windows as is feels very imprecise.

Approximate Time Spent: 20 minutes

Supplementary Info: PC, KBM, Online

PS: The Nvidia beta drivers turned off Physx? Why?

Edited by Miaradz

Weapon(s) used: Dakra Prime (did try a few other weps briefly, but mostly focused on Dakra)

Faction(s) fought: Grineer, Corpus, Corrupted

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: No stances used, as I've not seen a single one dropping yet.

Thoughts & Experiences:

- Keybinds need a bit more work as the transition from guns to melee feels a bit clumsy on kb+m. Implementing a separate keybind for melee attack & quick melee attack (or figuring out a way you can have melee attack on mouse button 1, while also having fire weapon bound to it) would make it a lot more fluid.

- Movement & blocking while having a melee weapon equipped feels pretty good. However, dodging seems bit of hit or miss.

- Channeling seems pretty lackluster compared to charged attacks, it just feels like it is lacking that something special to elevate it from being simply a standard attack while your melee weapon has pretty glowy lights around it.

Overall impression: Sigh... Considering the effort that went to this, I really hate putting it like this but: You have this core mechanic that has amazing potential to make melee combat in Warframe that much more interesting and what do you do with it? Ruin it by hiding it under layers of RNG.

This is pretty much like putting out a Parkour 2.0 update and then telling us that we first need to find "the legs" as RNG drops so that our warframe is able to walk, run & jump, instead of crawling on the ground like infested crawlers. Hiding the combos behind RNG simply cripples the entire thing and it is such a shame because melee 2.0 does have potential.

That being said, without a stance, I honestly would prefer to just stay with the melee 1.0 functionality, as at least then I had normal attacks & charged attack, which offered more variety than normal attacks & normal attacks with pretty glowing lights.

I'll update my impressions when / if I get lucky enough to actually find a stance for one of the weapons I enjoy using.

Approximate Time Spent: ~2h

Weapon(s) used: Orthos Prime/Ether Daggers

Faction(s) fought: Grineer/Corpus

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: Bleeding Willow, Fury. Sinking Talon, Fury.

Thoughts & Experiences: Input Window is too small for melee combo presses. Weapon Animation start to finish on button press too short. Hard to do the combo E E holdE E E for Bleeding Willow because of these 2 things. The input window of when I can press E to start the next melee animation is too small, the combo ends on E E usually instead of the full EEhEEE combo of Bleeding Willow. as for the weapon attack animations its too clunky, when I attack its readyslashslashready (yes intentional) instead of readySlash *millisecond of pause* Slash *pause* return to ready position.

Approximate Time Spent: 10mins each faction, survival

Weapon(s) used: Fang Prime

Faction(s) fought: Corpus and Grineer

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: Sinking Talon

Thoughts & Experiences: The quick attacks feel really good for the Fang Prime now. Instead of being locked into a direction and rooted in place you're fluidly moving while attacking. But attacks in Sinking Talon feel clumsy un-intuitive and worst of all as if I'm not in control. I'm using dual daggers I want to be sweeping through enemies like the wind but instead I'm stuck in a animation that makes me move forward in one direction. I need to attack enemies in a 360 degree arc. The jump animation in the second part of the combo made me consistently miss enemies simply because they moved or I jumped over them. Chasing enemies is still a problem. A better lock on mechanic with a short dash to close the gap some, a small dash in the direction the camera is facing when the animation begins some utility is needed here.  It feels as awkward as pre-melee 2.0. When all the enemies are running away in separate directions you're forced to clumsily chase them pressing the melee button and hitting nothing but air. It's frustrating and feels weak.

Sidenote - perhaps a quick fire option could be implemented while in a stance similar to a quick melee attack so you can hit the occasional Osprey or camera because enemies above ground level are still devilishly hard to hit.

Overall I need more time with the system and I need to compare and contrast different stances (I know there are two stances for each weapon type for a reason) but after using Sinking Talon I had a very knee jerk reaction. Make it feel more like Ninja Gaiden make it feel more like I'm in control of what I'm doing.

Approximate Time Spent: about three hours

Weapon(s) used: Machete

Faction(s) fought: all

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: none

Thoughts & Experiences:
it will be nice if we can toggle on or off melee channel like crouching do. press E example toggle on melee channel, press E back will turn it off coz its hard to hold while pressing other button.

i vote for melee channel can be toggle on and off.

and,

vote for melee block available when using gun because i need that trick to cancel reload.

Approximate Time Spent:
doesnt matter

Supplementary Info: Mouse/Keyboard, SOLO.

Edited by eraze93

Weapon(s) used: Skana

Faction(s) fought: Grinner

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: Pressure Point, North wind, Shocking Touch

Thoughts & Experiences:

I find that whilst the combat is good, it doesn't seem very fluid. Half the time I start to attack an enemy, they move back and out of my reach. I have to wait until the attack animation os over before moving forward and starting the attack again. IT would be nice if you could move a little faster whilst attacking.

Other then that, it's been perfectly fine for me.

Approximate Time Spent: 2 hours

Supplementary Info: Mouse Keyboard.

organ shatterer doesn't boost parry damage

add tenno RAPIER weapon that have insane damage on parry, pls

also make channeling to turn on/off instead of holding it, thank you

also can't throw glaive

Edited by n7snk

Weapon(s) used: Glaive/Kestrel

Faction(s) fought: void

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: none

Thoughts & Experiences:
The inability to throw throwable weapon when it is equiped is confusing... you can still do some dmg when it is equiped but that is not the style you want to play with it... Also it should be possible to equip for example two mele weapons like: long sword + throwable mele (so you could put mele in pistol ir rifle slot) that would make it even more usefull. Also when mele is equiped the mele quick key should turn into pistol quick key and mele attack should be mouse1. And finnaly -- the charge time when throwing mele should be reduced or there should be mod just for throwable mele to decrese it.

Beside these complains I really like the overall feel with mele 2.0 as for now.

Approximate Time Spent: 1H

Supplementary Info: Mouse/Keyboard, SOLO.

In general:

Being able to block while using the guns would go a long way toward making shotguns more usable. Not that they're particularly bad as they are now, but blocking would let me get near my target so that the damage falloff is lessened while still being vulnerable from behind, therefore maintaining an element of tactics. Use your tools properly, be nuanced in the way you fight.

Weapon(s) used: Hate

Faction(s) fought: Grineer

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: None (I couldn't find any)

Thoughts & Experiences: I find it to be lackluster at best. It is a cute gimmic, it doesn't add much to the game and the main issue still stands: Unless you build your warframe to be melee it simply can't be melee. Too much stamina is burned to block and attack, I have no idea where these new stance mods drop, and I don't see why I would ever put down my gun in comparison to a blade. In missions where I'd normally take minimal damage I died from things like bleeds or simply being shot.
Maybe i'm doing it wrong. I played with a tanked out excalibur prime and used slashdash to get into the action, and while it was... interesting ... it's not viable. My entire team was dropping left and right, I was lucky I only died twice.

At the end of the day, I have no urge to use Melee 2.0 except to maybe look cool. And if there's any buff from holding the melee aside from being able to use channeling, I obviously cannot see it.

The hype train is over, I'm returning to my despair, this was not the solution to get me to start playing melee again for anything else than the novelty. That was the only reason why I used melee to begin with.

Also it's buggy as hell. There were many times where I attacked a shield lancer and my blade would do nothing (damage wise), while previously it would cut the lancer in two.

I'll keep trying it, if only to prove a point, but as of now I am unimpressed.

Approximate Time Spent:An hour

Thoughts & Experiences: Enemies disolving into colorful dust when killed with a charged attack feels incredibly unsattisfying.

Charging was supposed to make the attacks feel powerful, instead it takes away all of their impact, by replacing the cool dismemberment animations and ragdoll physics with a crappy visual effect(which looks like it was too expensive to animate deaths, so enemies just disolve into nothing under a ton of bloom).

Edited by Naqel

Thoughts & Experiences: As previously stated the deaths caused by channelling do feel somewhat lacklustre. I suggest having different types of death animation based on the largest form of damage dealt.

Example:

Enemy has 200 HP. You deal 100 Impact damage, 50 Puncture damage, 25 Slashing damage and 25 Fire damage. Impact has dealt the most, so the enemy is batted away similarly to how Blast element works.

Example 2:

Enemy has 200 HP. You deal 100 Slashing damage, 50 Puncture damage, 25 Impact damage and 25 Cold damage. Slashing has dealt the most, so the enemy is bisected/cut up/decapitated.

I really think that something like this could add a nice new level of variety to a brawl. That and it's always fun to punch a Grineer across the room.

Weapon(s) used: Glaive Prime

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: Gleaming Talon

The problem is, that the mentioned stance is just... non equippable. I got that stance via transmutation, tried to equip and got an error message (something like 'This place is for melee stances') and stance was denied.

Also I can quote here the whole 2nd post about Glaives. This weapon is now broken. Since charging speed became a channeling efficiency, you cant speed up throwing process. Also when you hurl it, your frame remaining to be in the melee mode without ability to attack.

Thoughts & Experiences: Trails Toggle?

Can trails be turned off? The lack of trails on blades is one of things I like about warframe and honestly they have been done better in some other games... But I'm not the biggest fan of them. I love the animations, though...

I'm sure many love the trails but they make the game look too arcady GodofWar-ish/Devil My Cry-like. 

Suggestions: Can we get a toggle to turn weapons trails on and off??

Edited by RawGritz

Keybinding options : We can't block during gun play? OMG please add it back because it really useful when we use to cancel the reload to do the sudden shot and block an instant damage that make us down it's really save our life many time.

*my suggest: is it's may block only half damage same as Melee 1.0 when we do the gun play and full block with melee play in anyways we need it back pls.

Edit: Fury nerf? we can't do the heli move any more? :(

Same here, please reenable it to fight with gun AND sword simultaneously, in my opinion it's the combination of both that represent the tenno style.

You said you want the players to use meelee much more. Well, i did it all the time - untill meelee 2.0, sry guys. Way too complicated and disadvantageous. New system crashed twin daggers, glaive and galatine (galatine without a real charge attack wtf). Please, please, rework it hard.

I have a very effective sentinel  with a sweeper installed. In fact so effective he kills anything that gets close.

This prevents me from doing any kind of melee unless I take away the precept that causes him to attack. Don't want to do this, cause I like that he watches my back.

It would be nice if he only took out the the ones behind me when I have a melee weapon active, or maybe a slight delay, giving me a chance to react.

Weapon(s) used: Obex, Dakra Prime, Scoliac, Galatine

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used:

Most of melee mods, stance mods for sword, whip and kickboxer (Obex)

Thoughts & Experiences:

Stance mods do not get into their own slot but into usual mods slots.

New accesorries are out of sync with fists/feet weapons.

Too bad that stance mods are not there by default, I had to get them from Mod packs, as none were droping from mobs.

Nikana cost is a bit ouragous in comparison to all melee weapons.. and no bp to buy :(

Galatine seems to suffer heavily from Melee 2.0 I hope it will be buffed.

We need to have seperate key settings for melee, when we swith to melee weapon, now it is impossible to shoot and fight with MB1 as fire/strike.

Approximate Time Spent: 4 H

Supplementary Info: Mouse/Keyboard, Co-Op and Solo

Thx for the update DE.

Weapon(s) used: Jat Kittag no catalyst.

Faction(s) fought: Grineer

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used: no stance, killing blow, rendering strike, reflex coil... does this still exist? I didnt change my mods so i dont know if that still there. Range.

Approximate Time Spent: 2 hours

Supplementary Info: Saturn Extermination mission solo. Mouse and K-board.

Thoughts & Experiences:

Can we get some sort of opening charge attack? And by charge i dont mean old charge but some sort of rushing attack to start up combos. Cause as it is right now you are just charging at the enemy and pretty much waiting till you get there. Yes, you can slide-attack as some sort of a opener but depending on the weapon this is not effective all the time. Since i was using the JK i had a slow spin that if i misjudged and came up short meant i was being hit and if i overshot meant that i had to turn around and by the time i recovered the enemy was already on. This is probably a disadvantage of the big slow weapons but i thought i should bring it up since with the new system it's about long chains.

And maybe this opener can be the return of the charge attack since... there are too many keys being hit at the same time. Hold E for opening charge seems simple.

Talking about many keys being pressed.... can the focus mode be toggled on rather then press and hold? Cause to perform certain things you are pressing a whole mess of keys. For example, going in for a focus slide attack requires you to press W to move, shift if you want to get there quicker, R-click hold if you dont want to take damage, L-click hold if you want to be in focus, then the crouch key to slide and finally melee to hit. That's quite a bit vs you point and click, shoot, and done. Taking away one key press is going to be tremendously helpful and Focus seems like the obvious choice. L-click hold for focus might be about balance but since it eats up energy that is already balanced in that you need to turn it off some time or else your energy pool is gone.

EDIT-

can we block while crouching? Cause now if you press block while crouching you stand up. Also, can we zoom in a bit while we block and crouch? Cause now sneaking is a bit more difficult since we have no zoom so we cannot scan ahead if we use melee.

Edited by Mak_Gohae

Weapon(s) used: Glave Prime

Mod(s) equipped/Stance used:

Have all Glaive specific mods except stance

Thoughts & Experiences:

Glaive P's damage is significantly lowered due to the fact that it used to be primarily charge based. Explosions are a nice touch, but a forma'd dual element glaive prime shouldn't struggle taking out lv 22 enemies. Explosion only dealt 200ish damage to me, that's nearly nothing in mid-high content.

Glaive charge(throw) speed really needs a major enhancement. Fury simply doesn't do enough, coupled with low throw damage, you need corrupted blow(?) which slows down combat even more.

Potentially make glaive throw on release, instead of after charge reached.

I assume channeling would improve this but that's only an option when melee is equipped (and currently doesn't work). Overall, M2.0 glaive feels clunky, weaker and slow. Used to feel very swift and skill based without being OP.

Approximate Time Spent: 2 H

Supplementary Info: Mouse/Keyboard, Co-Op and Solo

Edited by notionphil