First Impressions Feedback: Unimpressed.

Sader

I heard about this game a while ago but forgot about it, but recently my brother started playing it and basicly told me I have no choice but to take a look.

A little background on the type of gamer I am:

Been playing shooters since Wolfenstein, but I've been playing them online since Quake 1, 2,3, Tribes 2, CS pre-steam (anyone else remember WONIDs'?). Not only was I playing shooters well before Modern Warfare, I was also an avid MMO and RPG loot @#&*( player (Diablo 2, Lineage 2, SWG, etc). And million other games I won't bother to mention along with all the modern games that have been released recently, and no console FPS don't count because seriously: Mouse + Keyboard or go home.

So basicly I can pretty much say I've been around the block.

So as I said, my brother told me I needed to play this basically extolling it as a sort of Mass Effect 3 coop. (I never bothered to play ME3 coop, but I did quite enjoy playing ME3 as an Adept (insanity difficulty of course).

So I figured sure I'll give this a shot.

Now I have put a grand total of ... 3-4 hours into the game that being said I'm going to start with the good.

Positives:

Download Size 500 MB, surprising.

Graphics (I don't really give a S#&$ about graphics, that being said they are rather good).

The Concept

And unfourtanatly, thats pretty much it for the positives.

Negatives:

Download Size 500 MB

I'm aware I listed that as a positive, but it's also a negative as it's indicitive of lack of content.

Repetitveness

I have literally never gotten bored of a third person shooter this fast in my entire life. I was two missions in before I started to become utterly bored to death, not to mention I was INCREDIBLY surprised when I realized stealth was pretty much non existant. It's like its there as an after thought, but as soon as the mission starts you literally just start slaughtering everything. I thought we were ninjas, not commandos.

Boring Grind

After playing Lineage 2 many years ago, (and countless other Korean MMOs). I have now have a finely honed Grind Radar. And this game started setting it off after just two missions and a little research. Just know that after taking a look at the founders packs as well as a bit of research on how to attain frames (ingame and via platinum) I am even less interested.

PvE only.

Personally, I'm not sure who decided this was a good idea but they should be fired. Based on the "PvE" I've witnessed so far, the only saving grace this game would have is some form of competiveness. You could have the best AI in the world, but the thing is its still just AI. A game like this needs some kind of PvP, anything. Do you really think space ninjas would never want to test their skills against each other?

Honestly, I would put up with a little bit of a grind if there was some sort of PvP where I could play against real players. As of right now though there is little in the way of customization or even gear. What insentive do I have to get better loot and better gear if my frame doesn't even change? Not to mention three day build times for frames is just silly, I played Eve Online for 4 years, I'm a patient person. But having to wait some arbitrary time limit to receive my frame I grinded a boss for just so I can play a different character in PVE is prohibitive and is not good gameplay or fun.

I'm not saying I NEED PvP, Diablo 2 barely had it and I played that for years. But there is very little in the way of aesthetic customization other then some color swapping and buying some skins later which will never be made available for ingame currency. So where's the fun?

So all that being said, I'll probably give your game a couple more days. Mess around with some stuff, do a little more research. But I really won't be surprised if in a week or so I'll have quit and moved on.

The download size is mostly and indication that the game is using randomly generated levels.

I know for a fact (design council) that new envirnoment are on their way.

While we haven't heard anything about PvP, it's safe to assume it'll happen down the line, why not take a break and come back, when it's more fully fleshed out, we're still in closed beta after all. Many games takes years to fully manifest. I know everybody likes to hate on World of Tanks for the payment model, but this game took a couple of years to have all the content it has now, not counting the alpha and beta test.

As far as the grind, it's the same with many "F2P" games, it's this way to give motivation to buy their currency, I understand many find this unattractive, but this game cost millions of dollars to make, and they have to make a return someway somehow, I hope you understand this.

Overall though, I think my message is that you take a break, and maybe come back in a couple of months or more when the game have more content, I understand your frustations, but in due time, much of this will be taken care of.

Regards.

they are infested with hackers and are terrible ? outside of TF2 and Blacklight and thats mostly due to the way those games play

They're mostly infested with "hackers" due to the engines they're using. If you think of something like BF Heroes or BF P4F, those games are both build on the BF2 engine which was already hacked.

Sure you can't completely prevent it, but there's ways to go about this, if for instance PvP was limited to 4 vs 4, you could have a votekick option, or a report function that would actually work. Other than that, you could employ anti-cheat systems, but those are often not working as desired.

Another way to make hacking a little more annoying is to put a rank/level requirement on PvP. That you have to be Rank 20 or 30 on your warframe, or maybe even Level 1 on your overall account to participate in PvP. That would deter hackers as they wouldn't bother the "grind" again to hack, only to get another account ban.

Basically having PvP also means the possibility of hackers, should we all stop playing PvP games because of hackers? No absolutely not, we persist and endure.

Edited by FanaticGamer

They're mostly infested with "hackers" due to the engines they're using. If you think of something like BF Heroes or BF P4F, those games are both build on the BF2 engine which was already hacked.

Sure you can't completely prevent it, but there's ways to go about this, if for instance PvP was limited to 4 vs 4, you could have a votekick option, or a report function that would actually work. Other than that, you could employ anti-cheat systems, but those are often not working as desired.

Another way to make hacking a little more annoying is to put a rank/level requirement on PvP. That you have to be Rank 20 or 30 on your warframe, or maybe even Level 1 on your overall account to participate in PvP. That would deter hackers as they wouldn't bother the "grind" again to hack, only to get another account ban.

Basically having PvP also means the possibility of hackers, should we all stop playing PvP games because of hackers? No absolutely not, we persist and endure.

they are infested with hackers because they are f2p there is no negative to being banned they can just make a new account instantly and be back in the game that is why f2p shooters have far more cheaters in them. Warframe doesn't even have an anti cheat and from the fact that the games are hosted p2p im guessing the files are all client sided lets just say that is not good. the minimal level thing might be a good idea but wait... are you suggesting to still have levels and ranks in pvp ? and mods ? do you know how insanely unbalanced that is and how much *@##$ing will be done oh god I shudder at how the forums will look.

I'm not saying we should never play pvp games because of hackers I'm saying adding a uneeded mode to a game that will be infested with hackers and will be zero fun and zap the resorces of the current game model is not a good idea in my opinion

they are infested with hackers because they are f2p there is no negative to being banned they can just make a new account instantly and be back in the game that is why f2p shooters have far more cheaters in them. Warframe doesn't even have an anti cheat and from the fact that the games are hosted p2p im guessing the files are all client sided lets just say that is not good. the minimal level thing might be a good idea but wait... are you suggesting to still have levels and ranks in pvp ? and mods ? do you know how insanely unbalanced that is and how much *@##$ing will be done oh god I shudder at how the forums will look.

I'm not saying we should never play pvp games because of hackers I'm saying adding a uneeded mode to a game that will be infested with hackers and will be zero fun and zap the resorces of the current game model is not a good idea in my opinion

I think you're speaking for yourself when you say PvP is entirely unneeded, in fact I'd wager along with the majority, that it's needed for longivity of this game.

I understand the issue with hackers, but there's plenty smart ways to go about it, to reduce or entirely eliminate the problem.

I don't agree with pvp. some Frames are OP on pvp, and balancing it will screw the pve experience. I expect this game to be more like Left4Dead

Again ways to circumvent the balance issues, if they want to keep the balance for PvE.

You could easily create prelobby matches where you can draft like in LoL, just one example to go about it.

Again ways to circumvent the balance issues, if they want to keep the balance for PvE.

You could easily create prelobby matches where you can draft like in LoL, just one example to go about it.

and people said adding pvp wouldn't pull resources away from the pve :| now we need servers, complete rebalance, draft systems, anti cheat, seems like it will be a real easy thing to just drop into the game riiiiiiiiiiight midswell just go play super monday night combat I don't understand why everyone feels this game NEEDS pvp it's like they grew up playing nothing but online shooters

and people said adding pvp wouldn't pull resources away from the pve :| now we need servers, complete rebalance, draft systems, anti cheat, seems like it will be a real easy thing to just drop into the game riiiiiiiiiiight midswell just go play super monday night combat I don't understand why everyone feels this game NEEDS pvp it's like they grew up playing nothing but online shooters

^this. Left4Dead is a Co-op game without pvp and still people like it. One thing i would like to see on this game is custom maps. But im aware that's not easy to make.

PvE is limited and gets old quickly.

Oh I agree with you, that there's priorities, and PvP is kinda low on the list, but honestly, why not wish for the option down the line, if it gets infested with hackers, or are otherwise to your taste, we thankfully have the freedom to decide not to play that.

The small file size is due to much of the content being procedurally generated - maps are composed of rooms which are then assembled by algorithm. Furthermore, we're still in CBT. Much more content is in the works for launch/post-launch.

You are literally two missions in. It gets better once you're past Mercury (which is essentially an extended tutorial) and come up against the other two factions.

What you refer to as grind is non-existent - and bear in mind this comes from someone who deems Guild Wars 2 grindy. I've only just gone through Venus and Saturn, and I have more currency than I know what to do with.

Yeah but D2 has a very complex item system, at least in comparison to this.

Did it really? I mean nobody was farming for rares and enchanted items. They were farming for set items, uniques, and runes to make runewords-i.e. items with fixed properties.

There was a lot of complexity but it was actually irrelevant for most gamers. And let's assume you're correct. The proper conclusion then would be "make items more complex", not "add PvP".

^this. Left4Dead is a Co-op game without pvp and still people like it. One thing i would like to see on this game is custom maps. But im aware that's not easy to make.

actually L4D DOES have "pvp"/deathmatch where there are 2 teams of players against each others the survivors vs the "zombies"/mutants

so comparing this to L4D is a bad example..

i for one is comparing this game to Dead space

they are infested with hackers and are terrible ? outside of TF2 and Blacklight and thats mostly due to the way those games play

Retail games have plenty of hackers too. Or have you not played COD or BF3 lately? Blacklight has plenty of hackers too. I record and report a handful of blatant hackers (sniping with lmgs etc. etc.) every week and could easily report more if I felt like wasting the time.

Btw, are you b00zy from SOUP?

Retail games have plenty of hackers too. Or have you not played COD or BF3 lately? Blacklight has plenty of hackers too. I record and report a handful of blatant hackers (sniping with lmgs etc. etc.) every week and could easily report more if I felt like wasting the time.

Btw, are you b00zy from SOUP?

well yes retail games of course have cheaters to but far less then f2p games on average I just bring that point up as a negative to pvp if they do pvp thats fine but I feel like to have a good pvp experience they would need to put ALOT of work into it and I just feel that time could be better spent tightning up the pve if you look at a game like PSO2 you can see there is a market for such a game not everything needs to be a pvp game but I think ill just stop arguing against if it gets made it gets made.

and yes sir this is boozy from soup I have not played blacklight in a fairly long time though I keep meaning to get back into it but I get distracted :)

well yes retail games of course have cheaters to but far less then f2p games on average I just bring that point up as a negative to pvp if they do pvp thats fine but I feel like to have a good pvp experience they would need to put ALOT of work into it and I just feel that time could be better spent tightning up the pve if you look at a game like PSO2 you can see there is a market for such a game not everything needs to be a pvp game but I think ill just stop arguing against if it gets made it gets made.

and yes sir this is boozy from soup I have not played blacklight in a fairly long time though I keep meaning to get back into it but I get distracted :)

I know this is anecdotal evidence, but the most hackers I've ever seen in games, have been retail games such as Counter-Strike and Modern Warfare.