Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Comprehensive Melee 2.0 Copter Benchmarks

VegetableBasket

Question

So I saw a video of KingTaro coptering with an amphis and thought, what the heck, you can do that now? Better test every weapon. Keep in mind these ratings are just for how far/fast the copter of each weapon goes, not their dps or utility or anything else. This is completely objective and does not reflect my opinion at all.

Here's my methodology:

I start on Xini, go this spot, then get a running start, jump at the very top of the staircase and copter directly across 10 or so times times until I get a feel for where I land on average. I try as hard as I can to push the weapon to its coptering limits until I feel I cannot go further. I've been playing over a year and feel I can copter pretty well. I put fury on every weapon. I used trinity with no speed affecting mods. I was holding my primary weapon and not my melee weapon when coptering. I revisited several weapons which seemed inconsistent for their type, and confirmed their scores.

Note this image is an aerial view of the testing area, I would be standing at the green line and jump across to the other colored lines.

87aOY.jpg

Margin of error:

It is entirely possible one weapon belongs in a tier above or below where it should be, due to my technique. Each tier is about 3 meters apart from one another, often I could fluke or fail with a given copter and end up way before or past where I typically landed. Sometimes I was able to average a tier higher than my first few with a bit of practice. I encourage you to test this yourself if you disagree with my findings, I am not perfect! Please make sure to let me know about corrections I should make.

Results:

God tier (third square on opposite catwalk):

Amphis
Dual Kama
Dual Zoren
Scoliac

Great tier (second square on opposite catwalk):

Bo

Bo Prime

Dakra Prime
Ether Sword

Lecta

Nami Solo
Prova

Prova Vandal
Skana Prime

Good tier (first square on opposite catwalk):

Ceramic Dagger
Cronus
Dark Dagger
Dual Heat Swords
Dual Skana
Ether Daggers
Fang
Fang Prime
Glaive Prime
Dark Sword
Heat Sword
Kama
Kestrel
Machete
Machete Wraith
Mire
Nami Skyla
Skana

Useable tier (edge of opposite staircase):

Dual Cleavers
Dual Ether
Dual Ichor
Glaive
Jaw Sword
Pangolin Sword
Plasma Sword

Bad tier (a few stairs from the top of the opposite staircase):

Dragon Nikana

Heat Dagger
Nikana

Fail tier (halfway between the two staircases):

Ankyros
Ankyros prime
Ether Reaper
Fragor
Furax
Galatine
Gram
Hate
Jat Kittag
Kogake
Magistar
Obex
Orthos
Orthos Prime
Reaper Prime
Scindo

Serro

Edited by VegetableBasket

Go play Saryn or Frost in a public game w/o Rush mod and tell me that you enjoy seeing the back of your teammates 90% of the mission 

EDIT: leeks keep this on topic !

I stay pretty much at the same paste as them or sometimes even go further than them.

Are you perhapse talking about the video I made?

I noticed that you can go further if you melee Channel correctly.

Yes, your video, I had closed the tab you posted on and couldn't find it again. You inspired me :)

How exactly does one channel correctly, if you don't mind me asking?

Dakra prime is only in useable tier? I have yet to find a room in any tileset where I copter and don't slam against the other end only using around 3/4 of my momentum from the copter. I think being host has something to do with it, when I host I go 3-4x further and sometimes more.

Coptering needs a nerf.

It's been nerfed. Holding the Zorens or Scoliac no longer generates twirly-leg-powered flight.

On the other hand, the Coptering of many weapons has been boosted significantly. Not enough to make them stupid-tier like pre-U13 Zorens, but enough to make them viable without looking too ridiculous.

OT: "Useable" tier for Dakra Prime? That seems odd, considering that it's faster than the Fang Primes. Unless they altered Coptering to make it per-weapon-type and not simply based on speed.

Edited by SortaRandom

Yes, your video, I had closed the tab you posted on and couldn't find it again. You inspired me :)

How exactly does one channel correctly, if you don't mind me asking?

In the video, I melee channeled around 1 sec before the slide, but you'll have a much better result if you melee channel slightly before the slide, almost simultaniously. Also, you need to do it while standing still, it does work while on the run as well, but I manage to mostly pull it of while standing still.

I'm still experimenting with the melee channel slides myself, to be honest.

I've been waiting for something like this, much appreciated.

Seems like DE finally embraced coptering in mobility design, can't be considered as a bug or exploit anymore.

Good job.

And the reason for that, is most likely to cover the range disadvantage the melee weapons had over guns. Now we can quickly dash from one foe to another and finish them with our fancy, satisfying combo's!

Thanks to this improvement of the slide dash for most weapons, melee combat trully became viable.

In the video, I melee channeled around 1 sec before the slide, but you'll have a much better result if you melee channel slightly before the slide, almost simultaniously. Also, you need to do it while standing still, it does work while on the run as well, but I manage to mostly pull it of while standing still.

I'm still experimenting with the melee channel slides myself, to be honest.

I'll mess around anecdotally, let me know what you find, I'm very interested.

The devs have stated they really like coptering and show no desire to take it out. DE_Steve mentions in the 26th Devstream that they had no plans to take it out in U13. And even with the nerf to fury, it's still SUPER viable. Especially with the Amphis. Which is awesome because the amphis is basically a god tier melee weapon now, both for damage (when channeling at least) and for coptering. I can clear the top most point on the shipyards defense mission all the way to the bottom point where the cryopod FIRST resides. I like coptering. Alot. It adds to the "Parkour" and they aren't going to get rid of it. I really don't see why anyone  doesn't like it. And more importantly, if you don't like it, you don't have to use it.