Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Running Multiple Instances Of Wf On One Machine

Darzk

Question

Anyone figured out how to do this? Started a new account fairly recently and would like to be able to taxi myself to alerts, trade mods, etc.

Steam installs won't allow multiple instances, so I installed it again as non-Steam. However, that install won't run consecutively with the others, gives a 'Session Error' upon startup.

Any ideas? Currently swapping between my desktop and laptop, it's a pain, would much rather alt-tab :P

Edit: They're obviously sharing some resources, changing settings on one install effects the other. Seems likely this wont be possible then :(

Edit2: Now it's working and I have no idea why. Grr.

Edited by Darzk

10 answers to this question

I can't see why it would be, I don't use it for that kinda thing, just to get an idea of how hard it was to get going without any plat purchases. My GM account has basically everything unlocked, and everything is too easy, so wanted a challenge.

I'm not using any 3rd party programs, or exploiting anything for commercial purposes. Could you point to the part of the EULA you're talking about?

I can't see why it would be, I don't use it for that kinda thing, just to get an idea of how hard it was to get going without any plat purchases. My GM account has basically everything unlocked, and everything is too easy, so wanted a challenge.

I'm not using any 3rd party programs, or exploiting anything for commercial purposes. Could you point to the part of the EULA you're talking about?

You wanted a new challenge, so you made a new account? Fair enough. But you're taxi'ing your new account for free levels/exp/gear/everything...? That makes absolutely no sense.

Also, just because you aren't using the account for nefarious purposes doesn't mean that others aren't. There's always someone who ruins the fun for everyone.

I thought it was against EULA to have multiple accounts.

Last Event DE was canning extra accounts left and right because people were inflating Clan scores for the Event.

I have like 100 hours on a second account, never had an issue on it. As long as you're not exploiting with it I doubt it matters, although I believe you're also not supposed to post on forums with alternate accounts.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/181179-two-warframes-on-same-computer/page-2#entry2184307

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/177784-pc-split-screen/#entry2074652

^ works just fine, but if u dont wanna read all those threads (and more elsewhere, probably archived) then the TLDR version is better.

TLDR: running multiple instances works but theres absolutely no way to control them seperatly, ive managed 2x Horizontal splitscreen and 4x splitscreen, only the warframe in focus can be controlled, controls cant be sent to the windows/tasks not in focus.

All that off just 1 monitor, you can also ofc do it much easier and just have 2 monitors attached and move 1 warframe window to the other monitor, which is more advisable as when you start moving/resizing the game window, warframe's aspect ratio goes mental, on starmap the planet names dont align to the planets, and ingame the crosshair often gets shifted to the left/right and not centered.

^ those show it working but again pointless without a way to control them individually, i believe there was a fix for this for borderlands2 to do this very topic but were out of luck over here..

^ those show it working but again pointless without a way to control them individually

Thanks! This is exactly what I'm looking for. I've managed to get two instances running using a single admin account by using a steam and non-steam install, but wouldn't work for three and requires an extra step each time, so the setup you linked to will definitely help out.

AFAIK its rather challenging in Windows to get input sent to non-active windows, as that sorta conflicts with the point of the entire platform, lol. I don't know enough about it, but I'm fairly certain any software which could direct input to a single running process would probably be detected as a hack and risk a ban.

borderlands2 can detect controller input even when not in focus, the whole splitscreen/multi account thing works for them or can be forced to work.

in an ideal world you would be able to enable controller support in 1 warframe instance and disable on the other, and have the controller input recognised even when the window is out of focus, that way youd keep focus on the primary with keyboard/mouse with the 2nd leeching the controller input.

however none of the above works.......yet......unless some clever person can find a way.

i did manage to have a program map keyboard controls to a controller and used autohotkey to only send those keystrokes (numeric keypad button remaps) to the 2nd warframe window however this method sucks badly as theres no analogue function/equivalent so moving/aiming is deathly slow.

Edited by Methanoid

Would it be possible to send the input from a controller directly from USB to the second window through a script, while the mouse and keyboard focus on the active window?

I'm not familiar with programs using controllers, but from my NHL99 days I recall that the controller and keyboard/mouse inputs don't overlap.
I'm thinking something that checks the USB Input and sendkeys (ish) to the game window.

Would it be possible to send the input from a controller directly from USB to the second window through a script, while the mouse and keyboard focus on the active window?

I'm not familiar with programs using controllers, but from my NHL99 days I recall that the controller and keyboard/mouse inputs don't overlap.

I'm thinking something that checks the USB Input and sendkeys (ish) to the game window.

ive been trying this but nothing seems to do it, only keystrokes seem to be able to be sent direct to a specified window (which is doable for movement, but aiming suffers badly as its not analogue), controllers only seem to work on the "in-focus" window, unless the program in question can detect controller input itsself when not in focus, borderlands2 can achieve this, havent found a way to do this on warframe.  (or anything else just yet)