Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Make This Game Far More Captivating For New Players.

Innocent_Flower

This is coming from a rank 10 player.

Starting items

-Retire the mk1 braton. Begin the game with braton,Latron and strun.

-Have all players begin the game with either

A: All three starting frames.

B: have all players begin the game with excalibro and allow for the choice of one other frame.

Edit: C: Replace excalibro option with volt and have Excalibur very close and easily unlock/buildable so that the player can very quickly have two frames. The player needs options available at the start. They shouldn't be deadlocked to play one frame for hours.

- Reduce the cost of all cred weapons by half (lex, burston and so on).

- give all players a common sword stance Or give all players the basic stances for weapons.

In the starting sector

Provide a mix of grineer,corpus and infested missions at the beginning.

Edit: this'd also give a chance for players to get mods like redirection before the second planet.

Introduce an alert with no time limit in the beginning sector (so that all players will get it once), giving a blueprint with a small build time that they're likely to have the resources for. Upon completion point the player into the direction of the forge, explaining to them that they can build a weapon.

Inform players through the lotus that the orange cylinders are resources. Too many players don't know that.

Give the player a t1 void key somewhere along the first sector. Lotus explains what the void key is and what void missions are.

Explain the situation when getting to the fifth wave in a defence mission, recommending the player extract or continue

Overall

When nearing a boss on the map, Inform the new player that by killing that boss, they can build frame X by killing that boss.

Remove extermination missions. They suck. (edit; reduce the amount of extermination missions or the population to exterminate)

- Continuously updating this post to ensure that all good points of view are brought up.

Edited by Innocent_Flower

Too much stuff

yes for removing MK1 B

BUt the newcomers should get

either a braton , or a latron , or  a strun. Not all 3

and 1 starting frame...

"Remove exterminate"??

This is whining , nothing constructive at all.

I agree with most of your suggestions except for removing extermination missions. I like extermination missions, they're a reasonable way to level new frames and weapons without having to worry about being shot in the back by something that spawned behind you which can kill you in three or four hits.

Edit: C: Replace excalibro option with volt and have Excalibur very close so that the player can very quickly have two frames. The player needs options available at the start. They shouldn't be deadlocked to play one frame for hours.

You're aware that Volt used to be a starter and was replaced by Mag, right? And that Excalibur is never going to be swapped out because he's basically the posterboy for the game and provides a middleground between Mag and Loki?

I disagree about eliminating exterminate missions (they're the most fair for Stealth play since they never randomly spawn enemies), but I do agree that newbies should start with a better array of weapons than just the Mk-1 Braton. The multiple warframes thing seems like a bit much, tho. Maybe just give them a few free empty slots instead?

How about keeping excalibur for 1 mission or node so that people get to play him, then when they reach the assassination, they can pick between frames.

The weapon thing is nice as well, players start with the MK1-Braton, then when they get the frame options, give them weapon options right after.

Exterminate is fine, I can generally do these really quickly, it's good for fast rewards, there's no need to change them out.

Yea removing Excalibur is not going to happen, he is the mascot for warframe and by far one of the easiest to learn the general abilities of.

Didn't say remove him. With C i was suggesting that he becomes the first warframe people build. 

Perhaps, he should have less costs and shorter build time. Maybe even with lotus telling you how to build him. Like a tutorial in intoducing frames. 

C is my least favoured option though. I put it in there because some people might be bitter about the disadvantage that they'd have with only starting with one frame in comparison to newer players who'd start with two or three if A or B were to occur. A and B are far more favourable outcomes for us and DE. 

I love helping newbies, so I'll bite on this thread.

This is coming from a rank 10 player.

Starting items

-Retire the mk1 braton. Begin the game with braton,Latron and strun.

-Have all players begin the game with either

IMO, remove the MK1-Braton, and let the people choose between the Braton or the Strun. The Latron is a wee bit powerful for a fresh newbie's hands.

A: All three starting frames.

B: have all players begin the game with excalibro and allow for the choice of one other frame.

Edit: C: Replace excalibro option with volt and have Excalibur very close so that the player can very quickly have two frames. The player needs options available at the start. They shouldn't be deadlocked to play one frame for hours.

It'd be nice if players could have 2 frames to start with, but I'm really not sure that's the right route to go. As someone else said, Excalibur is kinda the mascot of Warframe; we can't be replacing him. All 3 of the starter frames have been tweaked so that they have good well-rounded abilities; IMO the tooltips/descriptions of each need to be tweaked to reflect what the frame actually is, these days.

Excalibur is a high-damage but somewhat low defense frame compared to the other two (Slash Dash outright murdering hordes of mobs).

Mag is a medium-defense (while her shields hold) frame with some decent crowd control and decent offense. IMO she's more "well-rounded" than Excalibur is.

Loki is the ultimate defense frame (but only while you're invisible). It is for advanced players who know how to manage his energy and his invisibility.

- Reduce the cost of all cred weapons by half (lex, burston and so on).

Don't see the problem with this, so yeah. That could be something nice.

- give all players a common sword stance.

IMO, all weapons should have had a basic stance card so you could at least get the 5-10 mod capacity points (which this is what a newbie needs the most).

In the starting sector

Provide a mix of grineer,corpus and infested missions at the beginning.

This makes no sense, really. Though I'd have to say, Venus missions tend to reward more credits than Mercury ones do on the sole reason that there are more loot rooms and lockers that are easier to find.

Introduce an alert with no time limit in the begining sector (so that all players will get it once), giving a blueprint with a small build time that they're likely to have the resources for. Upon completion point the player into the direction of the forge, explaining to them that they can build a weapon.

Maybe a one-time alert that spawns on Terminus once you've been through at least 3 missions on Mercury to give players a short tutorial about Alerts? The Lotus could even explain how Alerts work, and said alert should give the Rejuvenation Aura and 5,000 credits to give newbies a little Leg Up. Once you finish the alert successfully (make it an Exterminate), the alert disappears and is never seen again.

Inform players through the lotus that the orange cylinders are resources. Too many players don't know that.

Lotus could have a First-Time dialogue upon picking one up, kinda like Survival air but only one-time.

Give the player a t1 void key somewhere along the first sector. Lotus explains what the void key is and what void missions are.

Eh, Void 1 missions are Level 14-15. You don't see Level 14-15 enemies until, what, Saturn? Sticking a newbie fresh out of Venus into the Void with advanced enemies like Fusion Moas and Infested Ancients is going to result in nothing less than utter slaughter of the newbie.

Instead... we could give them a "Worn Tower Exterminate I" key somewhere in Mercury that takes them to a special void mission, that is a one-time only deal. Said Void Mission could reward another 5,000 credits (to go along with the above reward from the Alert) and could yield an Orokin Reactor (not the blueprint) so that they could at least Potato their first frame. (and it could be explained what potatoes are, and why they are so bloody important).

Explain the situation when getting to the fifth wave in a defence mission, recommending the player extract or continue

They already do this, when Wave 5 is cleared, the Lotus goes "You can either claim and exit now, or stay and fight". I don't think there's really any room for confusion there.

Overall

When nearing a boss on the map, Inform the new player that by killing that boss, they can build frame X by killing that boss.

Remove extermination missions. They suck. (edit; reduce the amount of extermination missions or the population to exterminate)

Eh, how about when they unlock that node before Fossa (the one that leads to Earth), the Lotus could say something like "Tenno, the Jackal prototype in Fossa has valuable tech that we could use to research new equipment for you, I recommend you destroy it so we can study it."

and

Exterminates are a newbie's best friend. The mobs don't constantly respawn, and there's room to retreat if things are going sour. Exterminates in a new map are usually where a newbie is going to farm those few resources they need for a new weapon (such as getting to Saturn, and trying to get enough Plastids/Nano Spores to make your first weapon).

So please don't do this. Newbies need Exterminates.

Edited by Xylia

Actually the more predominant suggestion is to introduce a MK-1 Strun and MK-1 Latron as well, so players have options for their particular playstyle, as well as things to work towards. The MK-1 simply being something to upgrade from. Then more emphasis needs to be placed on the foundry and its future usage.

I wouldn't call it captivating either, as it's more about accessibility. You're advocating giving players more frames and weapons starting out, instead of there being something to work towards. That's also why this suggestion wouldn't really work. You're talking about giving people more who have just started, when everyone else spent the money or made the effort to purchase or build those frames and guns. This is pretty drastic when it just needs to become more obvious that weapons and frames can be built, and perhaps need some adjustment on their resource costs early on.

You're talking about giving people more who have just started, when everyone else spent the money or made the effort to purchase or build those frames and guns.

I can guarantee you that anybody who started in Update 7, or Update 8, put in a hell of a lot less effort than anybody who started U9+ has, doubly so for anybody who started after Earth became a Jungle.

During Update 7-8, you had several lowbie planets accessible at the beginning of the game and you could farm up plastids, nano spores, salvage, within the first hour of playing Warframe.

Nowadays, you ain't getting that stuff until you clear all of Mercury, most of Venus, and Most of Earth (while getting shot at by Karaks and Hellion rockets).

IMO, remove the MK1-Braton, and let the people choose between the Braton or the Strun. The Latron is a wee bit powerful for a fresh newbie's hands.

The Braton is just as good as the latron. The strun is weaker than the two.
IMO, all weapons should have had a basic stance card so you could at least get the 5-10 mod capacity points (which this is what a newbie needs the most).
Agreed, will slid this into the op

Eh, Void 1 missions are Level 14-15. You don't see Level 14-15 enemies until, what, Saturn? Sticking a newbie fresh out of Venus into the Void with advanced enemies like Fusion Moas and Infested Ancients is going to result in nothing less than utter slaughter of the newbie.

level 15 enemies are perfectly killable with low ranking weapons.

They already do this, when Wave 5 is cleared, the Lotus goes "You can either claim and exit now, or stay and fight". I don't think there's really any room for confusion there.

It doesn't tell players that the game'd get harder. Maybe it's cause we still had bratons, but the jump from lancers and troopers too napalms and heavy gunners was a bit too much for me at the start and we didn't know it.

Actually the more predominant suggestion is to introduce a MK-1 Strun and MK-1 Latron as well, so players have options for their particular playstyle, as well as things to work towards. The MK-1 simply being something to upgrade from. Then more emphasis needs to be placed on the foundry and its future usage.

The notion is laughable. The mk1 might be something to upgrade from... but it's so bad that it isn't fun. It isn't what you should give to new players. It isn't just saying 'you should upgrade this weapon' it's saying 'This game isn't fun with this weapon and you should either grind with this bad weapon or quit'

I wouldn't call it captivating either, as it's more about accessibility. You're advocating giving players more frames and weapons starting out, instead of there being something to work towards. That's also why this suggestion wouldn't really work. You're talking about giving people more who have just started, when everyone else spent the money or made the effort to purchase or build those frames and guns. This is pretty drastic when it just needs to become more obvious that weapons and frames can be built, and perhaps need some adjustment on their resource costs early on.

Sadly, here, you're suffering from an illogical selfishness. You want others to have a harder time because you had a harder time. That's all there is to it. It's not that I don't understand why you feel this way; but it's not realy rational. I suffered through that portion of the game and grinded for most of the frames, spent some plat too. Yet I still think that new players should have some fun too.

level 15 enemies are perfectly killable with low ranking weapons.

LOL. If you think some newbie using a frame with nothing but Redirection, and a Braton/Latron/Strun with no damage mods is going to handle roomfulls of 10-15 Level 15 mobs, including Heavy Gunners, Fusion Moas, Infested Ancients, you're out of your mind.

Protip: I'm a veteran player, and I did a "newbie account test". I got a Tier 1 Exterminate key out of a mission, I think it was Kiliken, that I had to go "Online" for. I waited until I had RHINO from Jackal, and the Orthos, and this was after I had gotten to Europa to get the Control Module needed to make Rhino in the first place, AND Jupiter (this was before Salad and his Gas City) for the Neural Sensor.

I was constantly running out of ammo for my Braton (which had a Stormbringer mod that I got incredibly lucky to have found) and nearly got killed twice, even with a Rank 3 Iron Skin because of how long it took to actually kill the junk in there.

EDIT: And I will remind you that I'm a veteran with 500+ hours under my belt and I know exactly what these enemies are, what they do, and what they are capable of and how to handle them. A newbie who has never seen a Fusion Moa, Infested Ancient, or especially a Heavy Gunner isn't going to have this knowledge. They don't react to the sounds of, say, a heavy gunner instinctively like a veteran player would. I hear a heavy gunner's gun, I know to duck because a hail of bullets is coming. A Newbie might not, and would get torn up in seconds before he realizes what hit him.

Edited by Xylia