Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Psa: Ddos Information And Relevancy

Seqan

Question

After reading the forums, I noted there's a lot of people who don't seem to understand what exactly is going on, so the nerd in me decided to try and let everyone know what exactly is going on with DE's servers right now.

A DDOS, simply, is a technological attack on a server/network. In this case, I believe it is DE's network that is under assault.

Some jackwagon is spamming DE's network with requests for something. What that request is doesn't matter, but it's happening so often, so fast, and so continuously that it is literally lagging out the servers so that they cannot handle any more requests for information, be that players logging in, trying to save data from missions, etc.

My point here is that this is NOT DE's fault! Quit yelling at them. This is an attack.

I'm not sure what DE is trying to do to fix the problem. I know that DE does their utter best NOT to interrupt gameplay for any reason. How many other online games do you know that are only down for 10 seconds while applying an update?

If I were in control, I'd blanket ban the area I knew the DDOS was coming from and work from there. Unfortunately, this would interrupt a lot of players who are still trying to play who are from the same area. Also, any half &#! hacker worth their salt is simply going to use a proxy to relay the attack. DDOS attacks are highly inconvenient and difficult to shut down. My school's network was attacked once and it took 2 months to find and arrest the person responsible. Until that happened, internet access was spotty at best.

Be patient, folks. I have complete faith in DE's ability to get the situation resolved, but it will take time, especially since the person responsible for this attack is more than likely actively fighting against DE's solutions.

Read on what DE is up to here. Rebecca is keeping this post updated with current info.

To DE: I think at this point you may have to take the servers offline. People can't play anyway. I know you want to keep things online, but I don't think that's an option at this point. I don't have all the information, of course, but that's my two cents for y'all.

TL;DR - Credit to Njall for post

Explain like I'm five :

You (Player) are trying to talk to your friend (Server) who is 20 meters from you.

Your friend can't communicate with you because of all the noise (Requests / Spam) made by 10 000 others people between you and him.

Edited by Seqan
Removed attacker speculation.

20 answers to this question

I agree with both you and Rebecca for removing it. It's best not to be pointing fingers since this /is/ an attack. We don't need a witch hunt going on here.

Sorry DE for pointing fingers at all. =)

Edited by Seqan

According to what I heard in council chat from someone (and this is completely unconfirmed) smite is also getting attacked. 

I have explained what a DDoS is in multiple threads and why some people were being false-positived by the blanket ban mask. Taking the server offline will do nothing because the DDoS does not require a reply. So taking it offline won't actually do anything. If you want I can copypasta my more technical post here.

Edited by -Kasumi-

Explain like I'm five :

You (Player) are trying to talk to your friend (Server) who is 20 meters from you.

Your friend can't communicate with you because of all the noise (Requests / Spam) made by 10 000 others people between you and him.

According to what I heard in council chat from someone (and this is completely unconfirmed) smite is also getting attacked. 

I have explained what a DDoS is in multiple threads and why some people were being false-positived by the blanket ban mask. Taking the server offline will do nothing because the DDoS does not require a reply. So taking it offline won't actually do anything. If you want I can copypasta my more technical post here.

Maybe not, but it does stop people trying to log into the game server, which lessens the load when trying to deal with it.

Anyway, why would anyone DDoS a school network?

People got sick of the BS from our administration. XD

Just a note: You make it sound like it could be 2 months before the guys behind it are found. The reality is that it simply isn't possible.

The more powerful the servers are = the harder they are to DDoS. Since DE makes all their money based on if people can connect, theirs is incredibly powerful in comparison to your school, because the school doesn't really need it at all to function.

The reality is that the attacker couldn't possibly keep this up for 2 months. Attacking servers this powerful is expensive and difficult to actually make a noticeable difference. DE can - and will - stop it before long, because they have to, if he doesn't stop.

1) Maybe not, but it does stop people trying to log into the game server, which lessens the load when trying to deal with it.

2) People got sick of the BS from our administration. XD

1) I see what you're trying to say now. It's an idea but there is a more feasible way to do it without completely shutting down the game. 

2) I've done it to prove a point before. (Was sanctioned by the chair of the computer department though.)

Just a note: You make it sound like it could be 2 months before the guys behind it are found. The reality is that it simply isn't possible.

The more powerful the servers are = the harder they are to DDoS. Since DE makes all their money based on if people can connect, theirs is incredibly powerful in comparison to your school, because the school doesn't really need it at all to function.

The reality is that the attacker couldn't possibly keep this up for 2 months. Attacking servers this powerful is expensive and difficult to actually make a noticeable difference. DE can - and will - stop it before long, because they have to, if he doesn't stop.

School budget also can't afford the best gear and go years without an IT update especially public schools. 

The attacker can keep the DDoS up almost indefinitely because it relies on a botnet. You don't need to go toe to toe with a server that's more powerful than yours, that's just idiotic. But when you go toe to toe with a good server with your ten thousand friends that's when it starts doing damage. 

Of course DE will stop this attack but it could take another few days, not saying I have no faith in them, I'm just saying that this kind of attack is pretty harsh.

Edited by -Kasumi-

True. I'm just pointing out how annoying DDOS attacks are, and that seemed like a good way to do so. My high school's tech support guy thought the entire thing was hilarious, so it didn't really get solved for a while. XD

1) I see what you're trying to say now. It's an idea but there is a more feasible way to do it without completely shutting down the game.

I am not a hacker and neither research nor participate in any such activities, so I apologize for any misconceptions about DDoS attacks themselves I may or may not generate. I just wanted to get out some general information so that people stop yelling at DE. There's always a better way. I just think much smaller scale and probably don't have a grasp of exactly what DE is having to deal with right now.

The point is, WF is under attack. Let DE do their job.

Edited by Seqan

Indeed, I'm glad someone decided to do a PSA who has better thread writing skills than I. If Rebecca or Megan can temporarily sticky this it would be nice, that way people will see it and it won't get lost in the new thread spam.

It's pretty irritating when people are selfish and dont' stop to think of the ramifications of this attack in the long run. It's not only affecting them, it's affecting everyone that is using warframe services.

I do not believe so as that has more to do with accounts and OpenSSL authentication.... *continues on with nerd speak*

It wouldn't be constantly lagging the servers out and causing login issues where the server thinks "you failed to log in too often from that IP address, I'm blocking you for now."

No. This is straightup a DDoS as per DE.

It was interesting reading this even though I knew what a DDOS was to begin with. Out of curiosity, could this have even been the heartbleed bug?

No, hearbleed deals strictly with openSSL in a way that it retrieves server information that should not be accessible to ssomeone. I found this on XKCD about it and it helps explain it in a sense.

heartbleed_explanation.png

Theoretically if you try to send the exploit multiple times it could be a form of a DDoS but that's silly because you wouldn't use a drill instead of a jackhammer to break into a big concrete box if you intend to bust it open.

Did some research. This appears to be false.

Not that it really matters though... WE still can't play OUR game.

So is this what's causing all the client crashes, and why accounts aren't getting updated after mission completion?

Yes. In all likelyhood this is the root cause. Could it be the very rare occasion that this isn't the main cause, yes. But for the past few days this attack is the cause.

Explain like I'm five :

Ah, I was going to explain it in simple terms too.

But to those people who think it's as easy as shutting the server though or rebooting it then it's not and here's why.

Think of a computer as like fast food restaurant. A customer comes in, goes to a register, and places the order and gets their food. A computer server works similar, your computer is a customer, it goes up to the register and says it wants whatever website/file/etc you are requesting, then gets the item and leaves.

In a DDoS, it is the equivalent of thousands of customers trying to do that at the same time, resulting in the restaurant becoming crowded, and having a line going down the street into the next town.

Simply rebooting the server would be like closing the place, kicking everyone out, then opening the doors again. You would be instantly flooded and be back to square one.

Edited by PeterKha