Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Idea For Devs] Feature Request To Improve Performance.

041.Vento

Hi, if you have a mid-end PC like mine, probably you know that "Performance" is a problem for Warframe since Update 9 (at least for me). BTW I'm not here to complain and bore you (I'm writing another thread for that xD).

So... Some time ago I read that Titanfall installation take up 48 GB, 35 GB only for uncompressed audio (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132922-Titanfall-Dev-Explains-The-Games-35-GB-of-Uncompressed-Audio) :

PRO :
 - The game run faster.

CON :
 - You need a lot of space for uncompressed audio (actually this depends by your drive and the original audio files)
 - The disk where the game is installed shuld have a good bandwidth and throughput.

In my case I've an SSD only with Warframe, so no problem with drive space or bandwidth.

Can this solution be applied also for Warframe? For me it's like a workaround to improve performance without real improvement to the game code, but it can be useful anyway.

IDEA :

The uncompressed audio should be optional, the launcher/updater will download compressed audio files every time. If you enable "Load uncompressed audio" a window appear (only the first time) and you can choose where you want to extract the audio file (so the user are able to install Warframe and audio files in different drives). Before the real extraction a drive test may be performed to ensure drive performance.

P.S. This is what I mean by performance loss ---> https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/175560-update-12x-drastic-drop-in-performance/?p=2452024

Edited by 041.Vento

The uncompressed audio should be optional, the launcher/updater will download compressed audio files every time. If you enable "Load uncompressed audio" a window appear (only the first time) and you can choose where you want to extract the audio file (so the user are able to install Warframe and audio files in different drives). Before the real extraction a drive test may be performed to ensure drive performance.

P.S. This is what I mean by performance loss ---> https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/175560-update-12x-drastic-drop-in-performance/?p=2452024

Interesting idea.

Unfortunately I doubt that warframes performance issues are caused by audio compression. In fact all evidence I've seen in my own personal experience, and others reported on these forums - would suggest otherwise. 

Warframes performance issues would seem to be largely attributed to:

- Excessive use of scripting / AI subroutines in the void to control traps in rooms the player isn't even near.

- Unoptimized powers and their related particle effects. Think nova's MP. 

- Peer to peer hosting which can make poor network prefomance of either the host or the client - affect the overall game preformance. Think of the infamous 'host frameloss' that still plagues many players. 

- Poor scaling for enemy LOD / AI complexity when spawning in huge numbers.

- Excessive enemy spawning. Period. 

- Particle systems that rely on the overloaded physics engine - rather than a seperate sprite or decal based system. 

- Unoptimized / glitched navmeshes and spawn points on newly released maps - these are generally fixed with time.

- Low CPU and GPU usage - even when the game is beginning to choke from lack of resources. Some peoples GPU's never go over 15% even if the game is running at 5fps. This might have something to do with the Evolution engine practically being emulated by the PC running it, but I'm no expert. 

Poor to nonexistent LOD and texture streaming. Nearly all surrounding cells seem to be loaded regardless of activity in them. This seems contradictory to the earlier builds where texture streaming could clearly be seen on larger levels. Today it seems to only function during cut-scenes at the most. 

Poor optimization of textures. Many new tiles have very low detail/quality textures, that would appear to nontheless still be of a very high resolution. Null areas such as those outside the playable area, or hidden by other geometery, still have needlessly high resolution textures. This may simply be a caveat of the procedural level generation - but that feature in itself seems largely underutilized these days anyway.

- All of these are suppositions and educated guesses based on my own personal observations of the game and the effect it has on my own systems. I'm no commercial game developer but I know a fair bit. 

And what happened to that fix we got around U10 that reduced the preformance impact of large amounts of items laying on the floor? I was in a defence yesterday and as soon as we had a nice pile of resources laying around the pod - all of our framerates started to tank by about 20 frames D: 

Edited by 11.11.11

Unfortunately I doubt that warframes performance issues are caused by audio compression. In fact all evidence I've seen in my own personal experience, and others reported on these forums - would suggest otherwise. 

- Low CPU and GPU usage - even when the game is beginning to choke from lack of resources. Some peoples GPU's never go over 15% even if the game is running at 5fps. This might have something to do with the Evolution engine practically being emulated by the PC running it, but I'm no expert.

1) I now but uncompressed audio should improve performance anyway.

2) Really? Please do not tell me Evolution engine is a crap-porting from another console...

Edited by 041.Vento

1) I now but uncompressed audio should improve performance anyway.

2) Really? Please do not tell me Evolution engine is a crap-porting from another console...

Evolution engine is nativley a Xbox 360 / PS3 engine. Same one used for Dark Sector. DE's never explicitly said how much of it has been ported and how much is an emulation, but what is for certain is it wasn't built to run on PC's to begin with.