The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Most Optimal Way To Mod Melee Weapons

ss4chris

Question

so with a week since melee 2.0 has passed have people figured out the best way to mod your melee weapons?

Im torn between modding with killing blow and   corrupt charge for me channel dmg  since its a certain percentage of extra dmg onto your base dmg or another element mod and a slash/ impact/puncture mod of where the mod is specializes in. people on youtube say  another element mod and another dmg mod ends up the better result. would like more insight.

Tbh I have no idea how im supposed to Mod my weps. Everyone says full elemental builds are better than ones with channeling but in my experience its the other way round. For example. A build with elementals only does around 1300 damage and 1900 when channeling. Now guess what, I take out one elemental mod and replace it with corrupt charge, I then do 1100 damage and.....2700 while channeling... Atm I am extremly confused how much melees benefit from channeling.

Tbh I have no idea how im supposed to Mod my weps. Everyone says full elemental builds are better than ones with channeling but in my experience its the other way round. For example. A build with elementals only does around 1300 damage and 1900 when channeling. Now guess what, I take out one elemental mod and replace it with corrupt charge, I then do 1100 damage and.....2700 while channeling... Atm I am extremly confused how much melees benefit from channeling.

are you always gonna  channel from start to finish?

For you i guess that would be fine

but for me looking for overall best dmg for end game play and not always wanting to rely on channel dmg i   wanna know whats the most optimal way to mod your melee weapons.

... i   wanna know whats the most optimal way to mod your melee weapons.

Optimal can vary by play style, warframe and how its modded.

If you only use quick melee, dont use channeling mods.

If you equip your melee weapon but you want to reserve your energy for your ablities or dont have a lot of energy on the frame/loadout you will be using, don't use channeling mods.

Channeling seems like it's the way to go on melee based builds. Elemental seems like it's the way to go on shooting based builds.

Here's why: If you're going to be drawing your melee weapon, channeling provides anywhere from the base +50% damage to +110% with Killing Blow to +160% with Killing Blow and Corrupt Charge. That's quite the bonus damage. You even should still have room for one or two elements that will also be boosted by Channeling. It's also an absolute must if you decide on a Life Strike build, allowing you to live for stupid amounts of time.

If you aren't going to be drawing your melee weapon, though, elemental will be much better. Since channeling requires you to pull out your melee, there's simply no point in modding for it if you're only going to use your guns.

Optimal can vary by play style, warframe and how its modded.

If you only use quick melee, dont use channeling mods.

If you equip your melee weapon but you want to reserve your energy for your ablities or dont have a lot of energy on the frame/loadout you will be using, don't use channeling mods.

im not talking about play style. im talking about  most optimal builds all round.

Channeling seems like it's the way to go on melee based builds. Elemental seems like it's the way to go on shooting based builds.

Here's why: If you're going to be drawing your melee weapon, channeling provides anywhere from the base +50% damage to +110% with Killing Blow to +160% with Killing Blow and Corrupt Charge. That's quite the bonus damage. You even should still have room for one or two elements that will also be boosted by Channeling. It's also an absolute must if you decide on a Life Strike build, allowing you to live for stupid amounts of time.

If you aren't going to be drawing your melee weapon, though, elemental will be much better. Since channeling requires you to pull out your melee, there's simply no point in modding for it if you're only going to use your guns.

you dont get the full percent dmg of killing blow and  corrupted charge when you  channel though. its 50-60 percent added to your base dmg. is it worth it  though. other players say no its better to use elements and another dmg mod and channel will be  fine.

thats why im asking those who actually know the numbers math behind the dmg not just assumption/ opinion based.

you dont get the full percent dmg of killing blow and  corrupted charge when you  channel though.

If you were to pay attention to the numbers I gave, then you'd realize I never said anything that alluded to anything different.

You have base 50% bonus damage. 120% of that(Killing Blow) is 60%, which is added onto the base 50% for a total 110% bonus damage while charging. Corrupt Charge is 100%, which results in an extra 50% damage.

Edited by Grascen

If you were to pay attention to the numbers I gave, then you'd realize I never said anything that alluded to anything different.

You have base 50% bonus damage. 120% of that(Killing Blow) is 60%, which is added onto the base 50% for a total 110% bonus damage while charging. Corrupt Charge is 100%, which results in an extra 50% damage.

wheres your proof behind those numbers curious and you just didnt make those up. also its channeling not charging charging is gone unless you meant holding down channeling button

are these numbers more more than adding and extra elemental mod and a melee dmg type mod ie: sundering strike.  i need to know how you just came up with these numbers

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Melee_2.0

Mistyped "charging" instead of channeling. I shouldn't have to tell you that, though.

according to mogamu, a  high subscriber of warframe vids and been around since the start of warframe says its been to use element and dmg mods instead of channel mods. I want to know where he got his numbers though cuz he said he tested and discusssed with others in the anotation of his vids. 

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Melee_2.0

Mistyped "charging" instead of channeling. I shouldn't have to tell you that, though.

this still doesnt explain what would be an overall better dmg output.   channel mods or more dmg and element mods. >.< it just says 50 percent increased dmg  but according to anothers  if you just add more element and dmg mods it will make your channel dmg even more than a  killing blow. shrugs* idk  >.<

Ok, so from seeing other people post numbers and a little testing I've done myself, here's a few quick tips.

1. You want at least one maxed Elemental mod before you use channeling damage mods. After you have at least one, channeling damage mods give you more damage when you channel.

2. If you want to channel a lot, you want to get your channeling efficiency as close to 80% as possible. More is worthless because of minimum energy usage cap.

3. You'll need at least a base 20% crit chance for crit mods to be worthwhile.

4. Generally, you want to use Fury OR channeling damage mods, not both. (May be some exceptions.)

5. Second Wind is basically useless on its own, however if you augment it with stamina mods on your frame it might be worthwhile (haven't tested yet). Not worth it for sure if you plan to channel, because channeling damage mods are too much better.

If you disagree with this advice, please feel free to post!

RULE OF THUMB FOR MODS:
Pure Damage > Berserker > (Critical)* > Elemental Damage > Channel Damage > Utility
*For Crit Rates >=25% and Critical Damage >=3x

The max damage-to-mod ratio after you add Pressure Point + Spoiled Strike is 110% Channel Damage, 180% Elemental. If you hit this point, you're good. Any extra damage is technically considered diminished considering the nature of mods, as your Channel Damage has the highest change from only adding Killing Blow and only two elemental mods (Molten Impact + Fever Strike) are 90% capped.

Example of an optimized damage non-crit weapon:
Damage: Pressure Point + Spoiled Strike
Speed: Berserker
Elemental Damage: Fever Strike + Molten Impact + Voltaic (for Corrosive + Heat, because Gas is garbage.)
Channel Damage: Killing Blow + Corrupt Charge

Example of a optimized critical focused weapon:
Critical: Organ Shatter + True Streel
Elemental Damage: Fever Strike + Molten Impact
Channel Damage: Killing Blow 

Example of a balanced non-crit weapon:
Utility: Focus Energy + Life Strike

Edited by Aishi

Ok, so from seeing other people post numbers and a little testing I've done myself, here's a few quick tips.

1. You want at least one maxed Elemental mod before you use channeling damage mods. After you have at least one, channeling damage mods give you more damage when you channel.

2. If you want to channel a lot, you want to get your channeling efficiency as close to 80% as possible. More is worthless because of minimum energy usage cap.

3. You'll need at least a base 20% crit chance for crit mods to be worthwhile.

4. Generally, you want to use Fury OR channeling damage mods, not both. (May be some exceptions.)

5. Second Wind is basically useless on its own, however if you augment it with stamina mods on your frame it might be worthwhile (haven't tested yet). Not worth it for sure if you plan to channel, because channeling damage mods are too much better.

If you disagree with this advice, please feel free to post!

im still asking for best dmg overall T_T :O

RULE OF THUMB FOR MODS:

Pure Damage > Berserker > (Critical)* > Elemental Damage > Channel Damage > Utility

*For Crit Rates >=25% and Critical Damage >=3x

The max damage-to-mod ratio after you add Pressure Point + Spoiled Strike is 110% Channel Damage, 180% Elemental. If you hit this point, you're good. Any extra damage is technically considered diminished considering the nature of mods, as your Channel Damage has the highest change from only adding Killing Blow and only two elemental mods (Molten Impact + Fever Strike) are 90% capped.

Example of an optimized damage non-crit weapon:

Elemental Damage: Fever Strike + Molten Impact + Voltaic (for Corrosive + Heat, because Gas is garbage.)

Channel Damage: Killing Blow + Corrupt Charge

Example of a optimized critical focused weapon:

Critical: Organ Shatter + True Streel

Example of a balanced non-crit weapon:

Utility: Focus Energy + Life Strike

this is wut i was looking for :O :D thanks :D

I wouldn't say there is one build for all the weapons, but this is the build that I've reached now for my Dragon Nikana:

-Pressure Point

-Berserker

-Fury

-True Steel

-Reach

-2 Elemental mods depending on faction you're fighting

-Life Strike (and Rage on your Warframe)

Again, depends on what weapon you're using, but there are a lot of weapons now with enough critical chance to make Berserker viable. Note that the Berserker seems to stack the speed 3 times for a total speed boost of 90%. Combined with Fury for a total of 120% speed boost.

Now, when you're attacking 2.2 times faster, it means your DPS is multiplied by 2.2 as well. On top of that, you raise your combo very fast allowing you to easily reach the x2 combo multiplier. And the slide attack teleports you from one enemy to another, making it easier to keep that combo counter up.

I'm not sure how far you'd want to go with your melee weapon, but as I was ranking up my Hydroid (rank 24 back then, now 30), I was able to easily fight against lvl 40 infested while being flooded by Toxic Ancients. Level 35 Grineers were easy to take on as well.

Still need to test how far I can go with this build.