Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dread Build - Need Help!

AdamTheBean

Question

So... I've decided to rank up my Dread in prep for stealth missions with my friends...

I'm looking for that hard hitting crit build. ( Supposed to be the best build for it at the moment. )

I've seen a lot of videos from U12 of the bow hitting 30+k and am wondering if it is still possible now in U13.

Any modding suggestions ?

25 answers to this question

Mandatory:

max Serration in the V slot

max Split Chamber in the other V slot

Other mods:

rank 3 Point Strike (this will make your Dread crit 100% of the time on charged shots, don't go any higher as it's wasted mod space

max Vital Sense

max Hammer Shot

Elemental combo of your choice + the element/status boosting mods from Cicero Crisis

e.g. Hellfire, Stormbringer, High Voltage for Radiation damage, a Grineer heavy unit killer

Note that you will have to put in some Forma for all of these to fit. Speed Trigger optional if you feel the charge time feels too slow. No need to put in punch through mods like Shred anymore, as Dread now has innate punch through both on non-charged and charged shots (yes, you can even penetrate the shields of Shield Lancers just by tap-shooting). 

Mandatory:

max Serration in the V slot

max Split Chamber in the other V slot

Other mods:

rank 3 Point Strike (this will make your Dread crit 100% of the time on charged shots, don't go any higher as it's wasted mod space

max Vital Sense

max Hammer Shot

Elemental combo of your choice + the element/status boosting mods from Cicero Crisis

e.g. Hellfire, Stormbringer, High Voltage for Radiation damage, a Grineer heavy unit killer

Note that you will have to put in some Forma for all of these to fit. Speed Trigger optional if you feel the charge time feels too slow. No need to put in punch through mods like Shred anymore, as Dread now has innate punch through both on non-charged and charged shots (yes, you can even penetrate the shields of Shield Lancers just by tap-shooting). 

Wow!! thanks for the quick reply... one question though. If I am to replace a mod with speed-trigger which mod would that be?

you don't need heavy caliber, you don't need fast hands, you don't need shred, a max speed trigger is enough. You want split chamber, and the elemental mods depend on which faction your are fighting. Also thunderbolt isn't a bad option right now.

I use a maxed Heavy Caliber on an alternate build, it's good for close-to-mid range spam shots (non-charged), and I have a maxed Speed Trigger and Fast Hands on that one. 

Don't expect to be nailing reliable headshots at long range though.

Fast Hands decreases the time it takes for your frame to nock another arrow from the quiver.

and hammershot

Hammershot is less useful for adding damage than another elemental mod, and is less useful in general than either of the Status/Element mods.

I use a maxed Heavy Caliber on an alternate build, it's good for close-to-mid range spam shots (non-charged), and I have a maxed Speed Trigger and Fast Hands on that one. 

Don't expect to be nailing reliable headshots at long range though.

Fast Hands decreases the time it takes for your frame to nock another arrow from the quiver.

I personally love the accuracy of the bows, so I can't stand Heavy Caliber. To each his own.

actually i'm running with this (it requires 3 formas tought)

http://goo.gl/pTLj2h (about 36k damage on headshots)

serration, splitchamber, speed trigger, point strike and vital sense are mandatory in every dread build.

then i use some corrosive damage for enemy armor since dread does slash damage, which sucks hard vs grineer armor.

the last mod slot can be another element, fire or cold (in my case), an arrow mutation if u really miss a lot of hits (or just when u don't want to worry about ammo in a mission with no enemies with level > 70), or a thunderbolt if u want some fancy, but kinda ineffective in damage, explosions throwing the enemies away.

fast hands is horrible on the dread since it makes just extract the arrow 0.1 secs faster. Shred it's kinda overkill on the firerate, and the dread already has a huge innate penetration on the arrows, not rare to hit an enemy behind a door AND a cover or to hit 3 of them in a line.

Hammershot is less useful for adding damage than another elemental mod, and is less useful in general than either of the Status/Element mods.

I personally love the accuracy of the bows, so I can't stand Heavy Caliber. To each his own.

Spamming elemental mods is pointless, you only need one damage type, so two in theory, per faction in theory. The more cric damage the more you'll see. Fast hands isn't needed when you already have speed trigger on it. In fact, i've never used fast hands on a bow.

Well with intate puncture on the bow for both charged and non-charged, I just run with Serration, Split Chamber and two crit mods as my basis.  Then I added the two elemental/status combo mods for a decent status chance and then more elementals plus arrow mutation.  For lower level enemies I just tap the bow and kill them so I don't see a need for speed mod. 

I spend a lot of time in the Void so I just go corrosive and cold elements as my only setup and I run with that, even on the planets.

Okay.. so Serration ( obviously ), Split Chamber sounds good..... elemental mods....Point Strike... Vital Sense...

-Speedtrigger?

-Thunderbolt?

-Hammershot?

-Heavycaliber?

Those four are the "iffy" ones I guess?

Mainly looking at Thunderbolt.. I thought it only did 250 damage?

Also like to point out... I too think Hammershot is a good idea.. as it is crit but I see a lot of people saying it isn't needed....

Edited by AdampoTheBean

Assuming you have all 8 slots available then use all 8 of the below. If not, they are in rank of priority IMO:

1. Serration (as high as you can)
2. Speed Trigger (max)
3. Point Strike (rank 3)
4. Split Chamber (max)
5. Vital Sense (max)
6. First Elemental Mod (max)
7. Second Elemental Mod (max)
8. Your choice: Heavy Calibur (rank 4-6 IMO since I don't like to lose accuracy with my bow), Thunderbolt, Shred, Arrow Mutation, or a third element.

In slot 8, Heavy Calibur is probably the best choice if you really want the best damage consistantly. Thunderbolt and Shred are more so a fun factor, but still work in crowded areas very well. Arrow mutation is kind of a must on longer defense/survival if you want to take a bow. A third element could be nice in places like the void. So many great mods to put on bows, it's tough to decide. If you are fighting lower level enemies (<lvl 30), you won't need the incredible amount of damage this gives. So possibly using a thunderbolt, or arrow mutation would be best in that circumstance. Personal preference really.

Hammer shot calculates off of base damage, so it's probably better to not sacrifice a bit of base damage for the crit. As for the status chance it offers, won't matter. You'll be one-shotting most everything for a LONG time. So IMO, don't bother with it. As for Fast Hands. It makes very little difference. Don't use it.

EDIT: I keep thinking of more to add. Sorry.

Edited by Sh1n3y

Assuming you have all 8 slots available then use all 8 of the below. If not, they are in rank of priority IMO:

1. Serration (as high as you can)

2. Speed Trigger (max)

3. Point Strike (rank 3)

4. Split Chamber (max)

5. Point Strike (max)

6. First Elemental Mod (max)

7. Second Elemental Mod (max)

8. Your choice: Heavy Calibur (rank 4-6 IMO since I don't like to lose accuracy with my bow), Thunderbolt, or Shred

In slot 8, Heavy Calibur is probably the best choice if you really want the best damage consistantly. Thunderbolt and Shred are more so a fun factor, but still work in crowded areas very well. Personal preference really.

Hammer shot calculates off of base damage, so it's probably better to not sacrifice a bit of base damage for the crit. As for the status chance it offers, won't matter. You'll be one-shotting most everything for a LONG time. So IMO, don't bother with it.

As for Fast Hands. It makes very little difference. Don't use it.

5) - did you mean vital sense?

Thing is, most of the time you're going to overkill drastically.

I agree with dropping Split Chamber and an element for faster shots, you'll get better effective DPS (kill enemies faster) even if you see smaller numbers.

For example, my build for mid-low level Grineer:

Serration

Speed Trigger

Point Strike R3

Vital Sense

Stormbringer

Hellfire

Infected Clip

Fast Hands or Shred, depending on mod points remaining.

This still lets you one shot both alloy and ferrite Grineer up to about lvl 40, but gives you higher RoF than the traditional full damage builds because of the inclusion of the last mod over a SC, and spreads damage out, giving better damage to ferrite by using toxin instead of rad + bane/hs.

Conversely, my build for High Level Void (lvl 80+) is 

Split Chamber

Serration

Speed Trigger

Vital Sense

Point Strike R3

Infected Clip

Stormbringer

Event mod / Hammer Shot *(Event mod for Dread, HS for Paris Prime)

Awesome! Alright.. so that narrows it down:

-WANT Speedtrigger

-Dont want Hammershot

-Dont want Thunderbolt (Crossed these two off the list )

-Heavycal? - is it worth it or is the accuracy terrible?  ( I know it is preference but good to discuss )

and if so... what mod should be replaced if I slap it on?

Awesome! Alright.. so that narrows it down:

-WANT Speedtrigger

-Dont want Hammershot

-Dont want Thunderbolt (Crossed these two off the list )

-Heavycal? - is it worth it or is the accuracy terrible?  ( I know it is preference but good to discuss )

and if so... what mod should be replaced if I slap it on?

Um. It depends on whose build you're responding to. Some have said Heavy Calibur is needed while others have said it's optional. In my build a few posts back, I said it's optional (slot 8). I also said to keep it at a low rank (4-6). At rank 4 it's only -25% accuracy which puts the Dreads' accuracy at 12.5% instead of 16.7%. Not that much difference to me. But again, you may not need that extra damage to fight normal enemies, so using a utility like arrow mutation might be better for you, or something like thunderbolt (but you already mentioned not wanting to use that). 

Um. It depends on whose build you're responding to. Some have said Heavy Calibur is needed while others have said it's optional. In my build a few posts back, I said it's optional (slot 8). I also said to keep it at a low rank (4-6). At rank 4 it's only -25% accuracy which puts the Dreads' accuracy at 12.5% instead of 16.7%. Not that much difference to me. But again, you may not need that extra damage to fight normal enemies, so using a utility like arrow mutation might be better for you, or something like thunderbolt (but you already mentioned not wanting to use that). 

Yeah, I'm seeing what is continuous in posted builds and what isn't - I'll switch around mods in the 8th slot and test it out but so far the last 3 builds posted on this topic ( one being yours ) seems to make a lot of sense to me. Looking forward to trying them out! :]

-That being said.... if you or anyone else finds another great mod composition for this bow please post it here!!

I'd love to know! :P

Edited by AdampoTheBean

The ability to reliably get 4x damage from headshots is worth far more to me than ~+25% damage.

Don't use HCal, imo. At lower levels where the acc drop isn't too bad, its only a tiny damage increase over another mod, so still might as well keep your more perfect accuracy.

If you want crit build, go speed trigger, hammer shot, vital sense, split chamber, crit delay and shred. With the red crits proccing all the time most things should die, that's my build and I kill everything that comes my way (mini bosses and bosses excluded). Slap on high voltage/Cicero/fire dual stat for Lolz I guess. Only takes one forma, so that's a plus XD.