Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Punch-Through Aka. Shield Lancers Are Cheap

TeliaRS643

I've been murdering things with dual ichor for a while just to test out this melee 2.0 stuff, and it's a heck of a lot of fun.  Y'know what's not fun?  It's not the heavy grineer, or any of the infested or shockwave/anti moas... it's trying to hack a shield lancer with its guard up.  See, I can block all the groundslams and shockwaves and then move in for the kill afterwards with all them... but not with those shields.  Walking around to slash a shield lancer from its back, especially if you're the host, has him autotrack and turn perfectly to follow you, if he doesn't just shieldbash you away/down in the process.  I've tried jumping over, and he usually turns just in time to block if he doesn't smack me down... hek, even when jumping -on- him with a groundslam ends up with him blocking it most of the time.  I end up having to wait for him to move his shield or bait him into swinging before I can cut him.  Then I thought 'it's a hek of a lot easier to just shoot these things cuz my guns have punch through... wait, melee has punch through too, right?'  Whoops, that only applies to glaive weapons.  I propose either an innate punch-through for melee weapons, giving shield lancers a maximum turn speed so you can actually get behind them without baiting them into a swing, or as a last resort some sort of a melee punch-through mod that increases damage because, let's be honest, you're not going to be punching through a line of enemies like a firearm would and taking up an entire mod slot just for punch through that'll primarily affect one enemy is a bit much.

Walking around to slash a shield lancer from its back, especially if you're the host, has him autotrack and turn perfectly to follow you, if he doesn't just shieldbash you away/down in the process. 

Sounds a lot like Dark Souls backstab fishing.

Anyways, does jump attacking work with knocking them down? If so, they're pretty much done for.

Personally, I like how there's at least one enemy immune to me melee since I just wreck everything else. Maybe take out a gun and shoot him in the face.

I also believe jump kicking knocks them down, assuming they don't shield bash you.

Though, I do know how you feel. I've been mowing everything down with my Dual Ichors, but came to notice that Shieldbros are effective at stopping me until I do something else to take it out.

Yes, make things easier so we don't have to go out of our way to kill a shield lancer pls de ...oh wait it's just a shield lancer

You miss the point.

Pretty much all melee has punch through in a sense but you cannot simple thrust a blade trough a tower shield, one specifically designed to not allow that. 

Actually, as far as I've been able to tell, they're more for stopping gunfire than melee weapons - 'providing cover for allies' as listed in the codex, and as a space ninja, you'd think you'd be able to overcome a slow, heavy riot shield.  The fact that you can't aim the a melee weapon to hit the exposed head and/or have a punch-through mod equipped is one point I'm trying to make.

Sounds a lot like Dark Souls backstab fishing.

Anyways, does jump attacking work with knocking them down? If so, they're pretty much done for.

Personally, I like how there's at least one enemy immune to me melee since I just wreck everything else. Maybe take out a gun and shoot him in the face.

I also believe jump kicking knocks them down, assuming they don't shield bash you.

Though, I do know how you feel. I've been mowing everything down with my Dual Ichors, but came to notice that Shieldbros are effective at stopping me until I do something else to take it out.

Jump attacks don't work from the front - it just gets blocked too.  Generally they turn too quickly to jump attack them from the side, and trying to go over just results in a shield bash or, again, somehow turning instantly to block from the back.  And yeah, it is a lot like backstab fishing.  It might work for Dark Souls, but not Warframe's combat pacing.

Alternatively, being able to counter the bash with parrying could be another option, given that there's accommodations made for the knockback to still be able to execute the counter.

Alternatively, being able to counter the bash with parrying could be another option, given that there's accommodations made for the knockback to still be able to execute the counter.

I'd be fine with this.

Usually I block and circle around, bait the shield bash and strike, time attacks so that their animation plays when the shield bash hits (pushes you back but you don't get knocked down), or copter over their heads from a distance so that I land right behind them. They are notorious combo breakers, though.

Edited by Noble_Cactus

Slide attack, simple and effective.

Or this. It's a little unreliable, but if you hit the Lancer at an oblique angle you have a good shot of slicing his legs. I think big weapons like the Hate will "wrap around" and hit their backs at the end of the slide attack as well.

Edited by Noble_Cactus