The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A New Twist For Survival (5 Minute Mini-Boss Action Mode)

MrInfinito

Given the recent issues with Survival - and by that I meant it being inherently luck-based in the current format, which I'm not discussing in this topic - I was thinking about a twist, a new kind of mission type, starting from what Survival was during its test event.

The idea would be survive a horde of small enemies (no elites/eximus) in rounds of 5 minutes and by the 5th minute a mini-boss would appear. Killing him would reward the players like a Survival/Defense.

The mini-boss should be a beefed up version of the current elites, maybe with more than 1 power at a time, and a high amount of HP/armor. With more development, could be a special kind of enemy, like DE is intending to do with the eximus (as implied in a devstream), or a boss droping in the stage, who knows.

As you can see, it's a mixture of some ideas who were left behind during the development of other game modes, but could be put together to make a new action-packed mode, whose fun would be it being hard, like Interception, but reasonably playable from a solo standpoint. And would solve the problem for players like me who want a mode based on resistance without having to care if like support is or isn't dropping.

Maybe someone already posted something like this, but if not, it would be nice to see what you think about it.

Good games for all and sorry if I mistyped too much.

In theory it sounds like a really great idea. In theory. Just think of the abuse that could be caused if a mode like that was ever created. A team of Rhino's stomping the mini-boss every few seconds, a team of Trinitys with Energy Siphon sit in a corner Blessing. Etc.

This is a good idea, but it would have to be fixed/changed so that people couldn't abuse it like hell.

Edited by zooke90909

Me like.

Beefed up tenno spectres would be interesting since they could provide a lot of variety.  Or something like the old bosses which (ie beefed up bosses with warframe powers).  Having actual bosses invade a mission would be interesting to, ex have captain vor jump in the middle of a defense mission.

Edited by Aggh

In theory it sounds like a really great idea. In theory. Just think of the abuse that could be caused if a mode like that was ever created. A team of Rhino's stomping the mini-boss every few seconds, a team of Trinitys with Energy Siphon sit in a corner Blessing. Etc.

This is a good idea, but it would have to be fixed/changed so that people couldn't abuse it like hell.

The DE could make this mini-bosses suffer only half or 1/4 of the effect of the skills, or as they grow stronger, become imune to skills...

The DE could make this mini-bosses suffer only half or 1/4 of the effect of the skills, or as they grow stronger, become imune to skills...

Immunity to skills would just draw a lot of hate from the community. The only way I can see the immunity working is that at 20-25 minutes in(More than likely higher) Stalker/G3/Harvester have a higher spawn rate as the mini boss.

Immunity to skills would just draw a lot of hate from the community. The only way I can see the immunity working is that at 20-25 minutes in(More than likely higher) Stalker/G3/Harvester have a higher spawn rate as the mini boss.

Yep, after that line of 25 minutes immunity and resistance to skills, could be only a "passive ability of some mini-bosses".

Like I said, every new thought would be interesting =].

Yep, but while abusable, it could be solved with a skill like Stalker's Dispel. And the point is really make players do something about the boss. If it's awesome or cheap, no problem, since it's in the hand of the players, and in a Survival you would receive the reward without the challenge anyway :P

or, DE can take the easy route to making survival more difficult, further decrease O2 drops

Actually, my problem with current Survival is the random generation of life support drops and enemy spawns. There are mission which I have to exit due to no LS/enemies and others where there are too many. The enemy spawn method and IA glitches produce events of entire armies blocked by an "open" door... an army that would then die dropping almost no LS.

I want a mission based entirely on the players, not on some weird RNG demise (which is fine in other missions).

---------------

PS.: Sheldon, please, don't come here saying Survival is "challenging" due to our bad luck, cause It's not, at least not for all of us :P

The mini-boss should be a beefed up version of the current elites, maybe with more than 1 power at a time, and a high amount of HP/armor. With more development, could be a special kind of enemy, like DE is intending to do with the eximus (as implied in a devstream), or a boss droping in the stage, who knows.

What? When did they say that?

I don't think they ever said they were going to change leader enemies, they just did it out of the blue.

What? When did they say that?

I don't think they ever said they were going to change leader enemies, they just did it out of the blue.

They implied gradually creating an identity for the leaders (elites/eximus), to make them look more like a higher rank of troops

They never said that in a stream.

I think it's quite offtopic, but it was on Devstream 24, around the 1h mark, just before Vay Hek invaded the stream :P. The thing about custom AI, custom transmissions, differentiating bosses from leaders (a joke about ranks)...

I agree. Complete immunity would be awkward. But I think repeated blessing or repeated stomping go just so far. In the end, it just delays the death if you're underequipped or with an inadequate strategy. It might be enough for some players, but I really think it just need to be balanced to be fun =)

I think it's quite offtopic, but it was on Devstream 24, around the 1h mark, just before Vay Hek invaded the stream :P. The thing about custom AI, custom transmissions, differentiating bosses from leaders (a joke about ranks)...

I agree. Complete immunity would be awkward. But I think repeated blessing or repeated stomping go just so far. In the end, it just delays the death if you're underequipped or with an inadequate strategy. It might be enough for some players, but I really think it just need to be balanced to be fun =)

maybe the boss could be hard-cc immune/heavily reduced duration and have a "dispel"-ability which takes out buffs such as blessing?

I watched that stream. They didn't say that.

I watched that stream. They didn't say that.

They talked about leaders and changing/tweak stuff at around the 1h mark, talking about how the current version is just "it works" and it isn't complete yet.

Edited by Utarious

I like the idea, but imho DE hasn't nailed down scalability, look at the,stalker. They try to have him scale but he's a joke.

Other problems which spring to mind would be the current warframe skillset. To novice players with your typical entry build, this would be brilliant. What about my blind rage built warframe? Or even if they come with a cluster of enemies at higher waves all I would need is a duration built nyx to control a heavy machine gunner forexample. Nether the less, the idea has some flaws but DE plz

your acting like this doesn't already happen?

Edited by shaun10656

They talked about leaders and changing/tweak stuff at around the 1h mark, talking about how the current version is just "it works" and it isn't complete yet.

They DID change the leaders: they actually made them have powers. Most of the ones I encountered did not have powers.