Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gas, Viral, Blast Any Of Use?

Cemges

Question

So we all have some special combos they are preset for enemy types:

Grineer builds have radiation, cold and puncture

Corpus builds mostly magnetic and toxin, with a balance of slash and impact

İnfested builds mostly corrosive, i sometimes see heat too.

Corrupt builds are puncture and a little slash, with corrosive and cold

But, I havent seen cases in which gas, viral, blast having any use. I have used all personally, and besides some low level enemies, they arent useful at all. And in case of viral, while it should be massive against grineer, i have only experienced that it lowers your damage over any other mod, so its safer not to use it, unlike table suggests, because seemingly only powerfist use that infested meat. Also if you were to say proc, i mean there especially arent any proc mods for blast, and gas and viral can only profit of one of the proc chance mods. So what is their use after all? Which weapons that have them are very good? Or are they just intended to be for ogris and penta?

21 answers to this question

Light infested are weak to Gas I'm pretty sure. Blast is mostly for support, try it out on the dakra prime or something and laugh at the instant knockdowns. Not sure about Viral, I only used it on my Dual Ichors before Life Strike came out and when I didn't have enough mod points for anything else so I put a cold damage mod on the polarity. 

Many people like gas for infested.

Many people like Viral as a second elemental combo vs grineer, but if what you're saying is true, that might change. Never noticed a decrease vs other mods though.

As for Blast, it's pretty even vs everything. So, for people that don't like to change loadouts.

I do agree that these are the least used of the bunch though.

I always use Viral for Grineer along with some nice Status Chance weapons. I halve the enemy health and finish off with Radiation dmg I have. Also every Grineer is weak against Viral so keep that in mind. Viral is special that it can never get your enemy to 0 health but your enemies health will get low enough for your finish him off easily. Gas was once great for Infested now I prefer corrosive against heavy units. Otherwise Gas is the Leaper/Runner etc killer.

Viral should do better than cold against most grineer, even with Cold's alloy armor bonus.
That seems strange if it isn't.

Gas is best against infested, 
Gas+Electric on a high procc weapon will even further bunch up and CC a faction that already tends to get clumped together, dealing large AoE damage.

Blast I don't think is worth much though, the knockdown CC isn't very large or very long lasting. 

Blast is good ( +50%) against toxic and disruptors, so, in some cases, where you crave biggest dps, you are better off giving blas than using the events mods to make a bigger corrosive.

Also, is vital in shotgun's case, where blaze is a must, you might as well take advantage from it and equip chilling grasp or whatever the name of its ice dmg mod is.

Viral goes into every of my grineer build with high status chance and into the almighty flux rifle, i kill the g3 in 3 seconds with it.

Gas has admitedly no use, its proc while pretty is far from useful, and the enemies against which it is strong are weaklings anyways...

DE should really improve the proc system, so they could first off, proc as much as it is supposed to and secondly, make it worth it to equip status chance; sure we can raise them like mofos now, but it won't help if it doesn't correspond to what i see when i play and if most of the procs are useless...

personally i think each elemental dmg type should have their own varied proc % chances, this would allow for interesting builds and if single elements were encouraged/useful people may be inclined to vary their builds instead of just stacking the important mods then as many elements as possible for the leftovers.

Viral is really good so long as you use it on a gun with a high proc chance, since that 50% health reduction can really make a difference against Armored Heavies. Granted it's better as a secondary element, since their armor heavily reduces the actual damage by quite a bit (even with its bonuses against flesh).

I don't use blast much myself, but I think the same rules as viral apply, you want to use it more for the effect than the damage, which doesn't have any notable bonuses going for it. Just strap some blast damage onto a Grakata and watch people fly! So it's more of a "fun" effect but it could have some potential as a support weapon rather than a full-on damage build.

Gas is really potent damage wise against light infested, and you can get quite a number storm going if it procs AoE damage. I still think it's pretty useful for area damage, but I most people opt for a Corrosive + Fire build against high level infested since Corrosive is good against most Ancients, and light infested are weak enough that you don't really need +75% more damage against them.

So we all have some special combos they are preset for enemy types:

Grineer builds have radiation, cold and puncture

Corpus builds mostly magnetic and toxin, with a balance of slash and impact

İnfested builds mostly corrosive, i sometimes see heat too.

Corrupt builds are puncture and a little slash, with corrosive and cold

But, I havent seen cases in which gas, viral, blast having any use. I have used all personally, and besides some low level enemies, they arent useful at all. And in case of viral, while it should be massive against grineer, i have only experienced that it lowers your damage over any other mod, so its safer not to use it, unlike table suggests, because seemingly only powerfist use that infested meat. Also if you were to say proc, i mean there especially arent any proc mods for blast, and gas and viral can only profit of one of the proc chance mods. So what is their use after all? Which weapons that have them are very good? Or are they just intended to be for ogris and penta?

Blast is very good for status weapons, because it knocks down. Gas is my goto element for element for corrupted. Viral is my goto element for EVERYTHING else. Viral+Radiation=Rape

Blast is good CC for high status weapons.

Gas is good against Corpus on status weapons, or lesser infested.

Viral is better damage/% than Cold or Toxin against Grineer (although they catch up to almost equal at high armor levels), and the proc is very useful at higher levels. Unfortunately Viral generally doesn't fit into a weapons build, unless they both have no tethra mod and no hcal/shred/crit mods.

Radiation and Corrosive both have 75% bonus across all Grineer

Magnetic has 150% across all Corpus

Gas has a 125% bonus across all Infested

Corrosive has 150% and Viral has 125% across all Corrupted

what this all means is that every single one except blast is very effective in faction builds as you can easily carry say for example Gas and Slash on all 3 weapons and never have to worry about running out of ammo which means u don't need ammo mutation either. This means you should win every mission because ammo is not a problem because you will be doing effective damage across all the different types of that faction. Now of course with ammo mutation u can easily carry say Viral on primary, corrosive on secondary and radiation on melee and you can easily do all the different grineer types, but by going corrosive on all 3 you don't have to be switching weapons all the time to deal with a single type of unit, as you can easily stick to one weapon and your doing bonus effective across all 3 types. 

Blast btw has neutral damage against Infested and Corpus while it has a 50% bonus to grineer and 25% bonus to Coruped. So yeah Blast is the worse one of all but its the only one that does neutral or positive damage to all the factions whereas the other types have a negative effectiveness across all types of that faction.

Edited by wilmer007

I mix blast and corrosive on my proc weapons. Blast for the CC knockdown and corrosive for all around general damage. Depending on the type of elemental mix on your weapon you can only go with either blast/corrosive or viral/radiation, of those two combos I prefer Blast/Corrosive as its more of a universal elemental type that does well rounded damage against all factions. 

Actually Viral is really good against Grineer especially when paired with Radiation. Solves your heavy and light/medium units with ease.

For infested any Gas/Bane combo works very well as well as a Corrosive/Heat combo with bane mods.

And for Corpus Mag/Toxic combo is the best against crewmen.

The only element that really isn't being used is Blast atm.

gas is great vs infested.

corrosive is great in voids since heavy gunners are weak to it, which imo are the worst enemies in there. but it depends on what you want to do.

Blast is eh imo. it's great when it procs though. 

viral is great vs grineer if you also have radiation on (since you can have both at once)

When it comes to combined elements, you have to remember that not all elements are equal and there are various factors you have to consider before you see the true value in procs.   Each element not only does better or worse in the damage department (based on the damage chart listed on the wiki), but they also work better or worse with different weapons.   Rate of fire, how the projectiles fire, accuracy, magazine size, reload time, how many base damage types are already on the weapon (IPS damage and/or innate elementals)...etc.   These all change how any given combined element is valued.  

Penta has unique properties in how it shoots and how the damage is applied.   Impact only procs (from what I've seen) when the projectile actually makes contact with the target.   Blast only procs when the blast hits the target.   So if you hit the target with blast and not the projectile, you'll never get a impact proc, but only have a chance to get a blast proc.   This is important because it means if you add another element to the weapon, you don't have to worry about sharing proc chance between impact, blast and the new element....you'll only have to worry about chance to proc the new element or impact...or the new element or blast.  

When it comes to status chance and rate of fire, it can be misleading.   If you have 2% status chance but can fire 15 shots in 1 second, then you have 15 chances per second to get a proc.   So your true proc chance won't be 2%, it'll be a bit higher, it just takes more shots to get a higher chance to proc compared to a weapon that as 25% status chance.

Then there is things to consider like reload and clip size....a bronco only has 2 shots before reload.   A element like viral would not be a good one to use on that weapon because the viral proc only last for 6 seconds.   You only get 2 shots to apply the proc and you'll spend a lot of time reloading and may not be able to kill the target while it's being effected by the viral proc.  

Then there is things like how shots are fired.  The torid shoots projectiles with a huge arc and it's not hitscan type weapon either.  This means you'll miss your target a lot (especially against infested).   So you most likely have to go for AOE effectiveness by landing the shots near the enemies on the ground (if you fire from range) or get right up in their face and shoot them point blank to make sure the shot is easy to land directly on the target.   But if your shooting at range, a lot of procs aren't good to use with Torid...unless the gas cloud maintains the proc chance and type, but I'm not sure about that.

Now as for the 3 elements the OP asked about, Here's my opinion on them...

Blast is not that good on weapons that are slow firing weapons with no AOE, take long to reload, have small magazines and that are not hitscan weapons.   It's pretty good on AOE weapons and high rate of fire weapons that are hit scan types.   It helps to have a decent status chance as well.  I've seen blast (and impact) chain knockdown/knockback multiple enemies constantly while using them on high rate of fire weapons.   I managed to keep infested ancients from getting within 20 meters of me by using high rate of fire weapon with decent proc chance and blast/impact damage types.   I did so without having to move from the spot I was standing and it was because I could easily chain the procs to keep affecting the targets.

Viral in my opinion is a utility element/proc.   What that means is you don't use it for boosting damage directly, you use it to halve the health of the enemy, thus allowing you to take out targets with fewer shots than normal.   Which can help in situations where you need to clear enemies out fast such as survival or defense.

For example, if a enemy has 2000 health and your weapon does 300 per shot to that enemy, without viral proc you'd have to shoot it 7 times to kill it.   If viral procs, the enemy only has 1000 health and you'd only need 4 shots to kill it.   Crits work the same way except if your crits can 1 hit kill the enemy like a sniper rifle or launcher type weapon. 

But when viral procs, it's temporarily taking half of the enemies health away for 6 seconds (or for as long as you can keep chaining the proc).   So you can say that viral proc is actually the equivalent doing half of the enemies health in damage...because without the viral proc, you'd have to do that damage with your weapon anyway.   So indirectly, the viral proc is worth the most damage of all procs...because armor, shields and amount of health do not devalue the viral proc.   If a target has 1000 health, viral proc is worth 500 damage....if a target has 5,000,000 health then a viral proc is worth 2,500,000....so viral proc never loses it's value.   Lastly, you really aren't losing that much damage because you still need two damage elementals in order to get the viral damage type and proc.  

As for Gas, it's really not that good even against infested because other elements can still take out infested faster than gas damage or the proc since infested have no shields or armor.   The proc from gas is a minor DOT which unless you actually land it on the target, is only effective in a small area that the enemy has to run through in order to take damage.    So depending on the weapon you use gas element on, it can be difficult to gain significant benefits of the gas proc.   However, almost all other procs or base dmg mods (serration, bane..etc.) are still better than a gas proc.

Overall, it's not just about seeing a +50% or -25% modifier in the column under an enemies armor or flesh type.   Those are good indicators of getting boosted damage against certain enemies only, while procs often apply to ALL enemies equally but can assist in changing the difficulty of fighting any enemy.    

For instance, getting 3+ blast procs to occur on a heavy gunner (with a high rate of fire weapon) when your defending in T3 void can do wonders to save the pod from dying because not only does the gunner get locked down and can't shoot you or the pod or do anything else, but you get a few seconds to kill the gunner or CC it or put up defense on the pod (or your teammate).    So just remember, procs bring other intangibles that make a world of difference.   But unfortunately gamers are stuck with the mindset that damage is greater than all.   So if it doesn't do insane damage, players won't use it much.    Just remember, procs are tactical bonuses that help to augment situations on the battlefield.  If you use them as tactical tools instead of pure damage tools, you'll find a whole new appreciation for lesser used/liked procs.

For example, if a enemy has 2000 health and your weapon does 300 per shot to that enemy, without viral proc you'd have to shoot it 7 times to kill it.   If viral procs, the enemy only has 1000 health and you'd only need 4 shots to kill it.   Crits work the same way except if your crits can 1 hit kill the enemy like a sniper rifle or launcher type weapon. 

The thing I really dislike about the Viral proc is in this example, if it procs on your 4th shot it has ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT as you've already taken out the first half of the enemy's hp. So the longer it takes to proc the less effective the proc is.

2 other things to consider. Corrosive and Gas are the only duration procs that stack (Everything else just refreshes iirc) and damage done by a damaging proc is based on BASE weapon damage, so adding more to the element does not affect the proc damage.

This means that Corrosive and Gas are more useful procs on a high RoF weapon, while anything damaging (Fire/Toxin) is a better proc on a slower, harder hitting weapon.

This is why Saryn's Venom Viral Proc is pretty good against high level enemies. Venom has a pretty good chance for Viral procs plus being able to spread to other enemies in a huge area with maximized range mods. Most players tend to build Saryn based around Miasma and Moult only for High Level Missions. Even so, Venom is still pretty useful against T2 enemies when spores are popped and used in synergy with other warframe's power 4 without strength mods. Both Blast and Gas are pretty awesome on weapons with high fire rate and status chance, especially the Grakata.

dont underestimate gas, it procs toxin which bypasses shields

if u take a weapon which has really high proc (78%) with the 2 event mods and high base damage, u can turn that weapon into a CC and AOE dmg monster, with punch thru vs group mobs you will be chain lighting and setting off gas explosions with every shot 

its extremely effective but you just have to make sure u have another weapon that has focused dmg vs the high level units of t3h faction u face

try a gas/electric lanka when using nova, astounding synergy