Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fireblast - The Only Ability With Scripted Enemy Reaction

SlyBoots

the enemies happily run into bastille and vortex, they have no problems staying on hallowed ground or running into world on fire, sound quake, undertow or tentacle swarm, they don't care about tornados, they don't avoid someone with bullet attractor - so why is it that they don't run through fireblast? i think i'm not going too far out on a limb to claim that each and every player that uses fireblast expects enemies to actually take damage from the flames beyond the initial blast. and frankly, looking at the numbers (damage, energy cost), fireblast surely was meant to have enemies somehow stay in the flames, continually taking damage (which actually worked for some weeks before the "damage 2.0" update).

so to me, that seem like 3 good reasons to revert the enemy behaviour to let them run into fireblast again. to ensure that the ability still worked as area denial the flames would need a fairly high chance to proc a burning effect, not only the inital blast.

Edited by SlyBoots

Interesting, someone that wants to dumb down the AI.

lol, if you can't distinguish between what you assume i want and what i'm actually asking for, i.e. basic consistency, try some reading comprehension.

I do miss the fire damage, but at the same time it's still a good area denial ability. Place it in a chokepoint and enemies won't go past that area. It seems to have lost the damage over time, but it also appears to have gained some additional utility.

fair enough, the main problem i have is that of the ember players i see who actually use it noone uses it like that.

Edited by SlyBoots

Guest Shibboleet

lol, if you can't distinguish between what you assume i want and what i'm actually asking for, i.e. basic consistency, try some reading comprehension.

If anything, you should be asking for the opposite: Having them register and deal with those abilities you listed, not have them run through fireblast again.

fair enough, the main problem i have is that of the ember players i see who actually use it noone uses it like that.

I play Ember quite a bit, and I don't mind the change. However, I'd enjoy if each faction (and units within that faction) reacted differently.

For example. Corpus and Grineer for the most part will stay away, while Infested will just rush on through.

Second Example, automated units such as MOA or Drones feel no pain, so fire shouldn't scare them. Ranged and weak units, on the other hand, should stay away.

I didnt noticed that heh, of course i havent touched my Ember is some time (sadly) cause i have been running some solo void missions and i needed a tank for that. I will use Her again today and try see if the enemy runs away, would be Fireblast actually usefull at higher lvs.

You know your the first Ember player who wants Ember whit more damage tan Utility, one of my major problems whit her is that she lacked utility and if what your saying is true then Ember now has to @(*()$ amazing skills that offer great utility. Accelerant for the extra damage and stun and Fireblast for the damage and área denial through fear.

I dont think i have experienced this that much.

I think the problem here is that people put FB down and stay in the middle of the circle and continue firing and for the most part enemies will run away and try to take cover if you are that close to them. Whenever i use fireblast i just dump it and leave. In defense missions, from what i remember, you just put in a walking path and get away and the enemies will normally pass through it if since they are not stunned.

If anything, you should be asking for the opposite: Having them register and deal with those abilities you listed, not have them run through fireblast again.

i'm going to do a lazy analogy here but turning diablo into x-com won't happen. take a look at the newest enemy addition, prosecutors. the difficulty they add is not in sophisticated scripting but in resistances. that concerns all basic enemies, doesn't mean DE can't add few enemies that they want to live a bit longer. but most of the time "smarter ai" won't cut it. even those will need resistances (invulnerability stages, see bosses, stalker ignores frame abilities outright) or ridiculous maneuverability (see hyena pack) and damage output to be challenging, that's kinda the type of game this is.

For example. Corpus and Grineer for the most part will stay away, while Infested will just rush on through.

Second Example, automated units such as MOA or Drones feel no pain, so fire shouldn't scare them. Ranged and weak units, on the other hand, should stay away.

same reply as above, it makes no sense for waves of basic enemies, the cannon fodder. add exceptions to the rule, sure, spice it up a bit, make leapers and scorpions jump over the flames or whatever. my exact point may actually be that it was nerfed seemingly by accident (by way of the damage rework). it was area denial, crowd control and damage over time, now it's only area denial meaning you still have to divert your attention to where you shut down enemy advances and actually deal damage. plus the occasional enemy runs through without a scratch.

You know your the first Ember player who wants Ember whit more damage tan Utility, one of my major problems whit her is that she lacked utility and if what your saying is true then Ember now has to @(*()$ amazing skills that offer great utility. Accelerant for the extra damage and stun and Fireblast for the damage and área denial through fear.

funny, i could swear not to have stated to prefer damage over utility. oh, right, that's because i didn't actually do that. what i did write though is that fireblast would need to maintain its role as area denial. and it does not make enemies run in fear, they just stand directly next to the flames undecidedly.

Edited by SlyBoots

Guest Shibboleet

i'm going to do a lazy analogy here but turning diablo into x-com won't happen. take a look at the newest enemy addition, prosecutors. the difficulty they add is not in sophisticated scripting but in resistances. that concerns all basic enemies, doesn't mean DE can't add few enemies that they want to live a bit longer. but most of the time "smarter ai" won't cut it. even those will need resistances (invulnerability stages, see bosses, stalker ignores frame abilities outright) or ridiculous maneuverability (see hyena pack) and damage output to be challenging, that's kinda the type of game this is.

With enemies starting to avoid abilities like fireblast, it seems like this behavior would be hard to accidentally code. I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that they were/are testing fireblast to see if it would make the AI work as newly intended.

whoops. :D

i was kinda only refering to the missing status effects that all/most elemental frame abilities suffered from after said update. but ofc you're right in regards to enemy behaviour. damn, i really have tunnel vision concerning this.

Edited by SlyBoots