Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mod Drop Chance/rarity - How Does Level Work On It?

Shanicus

Question

This is just an open question to both players and any helpful DE's who could shed some light on this - do higher level enemies have a better chance of dropping mods AND dropping higher quality mods? I ask since I was doing some high-level Invasion missions and saw I was getting more Uncommon drops than Common drops (only two Riplines out of 5 runs, but 7 Shocking Touch), so I was wondering if level directly affected drop rate and rarity.

Cheers for any clarification on this (for non-Aussies, that means thanks)

6 answers to this question

Each mob has their own drop table, higher level missions just give you access to more of the higher level mobs and hence more chances for their mod drops.

There is nothing in game that I know of that increases the chances of any mob to drop a mod regardless of level.

I use the wiki / Codex to see what mob(s) drop the mod I want and what level mission those mobs spawn in to determine where to farm for a mod.

Each mob has their own drop table, higher level missions just give you access to more of the higher level mobs and hence more chances for their mod drops.

There is nothing in game that I know of that increases the chances of any mob to drop a mod regardless of level.

I use the wiki / Codex to see what mob(s) drop the mod I want and what level mission those mobs spawn in to determine where to farm for a mod.

I'm wondering if there's a benefit to fighting higher leveled enemies of the same type outside boosted affinity - so, whether you'd have a better chance at getting Crossing Snakes from level 35 Elite Lancers or if you'd be better off sticking to the map with level 20 Elite Lancers.

Considering the fact that low level enemies drop different items to their higher leveled counterparts (namely cores), it does make me wonder... I kinda just want some clarification on if higher enemies = higher chances, really.

AFAIK the only thing that level affects is which mobs spawn, and the ranking of cores.

At higher levels you're more likely to see different mobs, which affects drop tables. I think you're also more likely to see higher rankings on dropped cores, but that might be a side effect of the different mob types.

Edited by Darzk

Rarity also effects mod drops.   You have less chance for a rare mod to drop than an uncommon or common mod.   So when you factor in the individual drop chance, the rarity and the fact that certain mods only drop from certain enemies and at certain points during a mission, it all points to a very low chance to get some of the more rare type of mods.

Also, I think that the actual drop chance of certain mods are made lower by DE regardless of their rarity or what enemy they drop from.  Mod's that really give you a nice damage boost are such mods that don't drop that often regardless if they are common or not or whether they drop from level 1 enemies or level 15 enemies.   

For example, Serration is a uncommon mod, yet I've seen rare mods and other uncommon mods drop far more often than serration ever does.   So I'm thinking DE puts the drop chance on mods based on what the mod does, not just it's rarity or what enemy it drops from.   Mods like Charged Chamber don't drop much at all despite there being lots of railgun MOA's in certain corpus missions.