Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Alternate Melee Button Layout

OldSnakeMGS4

I read this several times and I also supported others having the same idea but I don´t know if this was already addressed officially yet, so I am renewing the discussion.

Can we please have an alternate button layout for melee once we have the melee weapon as main weapon ?

The thing I have in mind is pretty simple and also obvious:

Once you have the melee weapon as main weapon, the following layout would be perfect:

Mouse Button 1:  melee attack

Mouse Button 2:  block (as it is now)

Former quick melee: channeling

This would be the most common layout I think because using MB1 for channeling is waste of a main button. You do not channel as often as you hit melee, so making MB1 the main button just makes sense.

The biggest problem so far is that we cannot do a layout this way because we are not allowed to map MB1 and MB2 to different actions, so we are forced to have these buttons either for aiming and shooting or for melee and blocking.

So I really really do hope that this issue will be addressed by DE since right now melee does feel a bit imperfect due to the buttonn limitations.

Well, since this is the exact same idea I wrote in the feedback section, I'll support this one. Only one thing to add wich I haven't thought of back then, could we also get the option to define a button for turning channeling on/off?

If I want to use channeling in a longer fight and want to do some propper movements while fighting, I would like to use all my fingers on the left hand for w,a,s,d and sprinting/crouching. I don't want to be pressing the channel button all the time.

Mashing any mouse button for melee moves my mouse around too much.

"E" is my melee button. RMB for blocking. LMB for channeling. All is right with the world.

He(and also do I) wants an alternate layout! He does NOT want to take yours away.... therefor your post is unnessecary.

Edited by Scr4mp

Well, since this is the exact same idea I wrote in the feedback section, I'll support this one. Only one thing to add wich I haven't thought of back then, could we also get the option to define a button for turning channeling on/off?

If I want to use channeling in a longer fight and want to do some propper movements while fighting, I would like to use all my fingers on the left hand for w,a,s,d and sprinting/crouching. I don't want to be pressing the channel button all the time.

He(and also do I) wants an alternate layout! He does NOT want to take yours away.... therefor your post is unnessecary.

Uhhh... No. My point was that his option is flawed in my humble opinion because melee mashing on the mouse moves the cursor around too much.

I agree more options for mapping melee would be good. But placing it on the mouse should not be standard.

I don't see any reason people shouldn't be allowed to customize it, so sure, have a refreshing, ice-cold plusone.

Though, I've been using the E key to melee since U8, so I'll be sticking with that regardless.

Uhhh... No. My point was that his option is flawed in my humble opinion because melee mashing on the mouse moves the cursor around too much.

I agree more options for mapping melee would be good. But placing it on the mouse should not be standard.

While that is a valid point, keep in mind that it's just an option, not a permanent re-mapping, and not to mention that there are probably people with less sensitive mouse buttons that won't have the same problem as you.

Edited by nintega

I read this several times and I also supported others having the same idea but I don´t know if this was already addressed officially yet, so I am renewing the discussion.

Can we please have an alternate button layout for melee once we have the melee weapon as main weapon ?

The thing I have in mind is pretty simple and also obvious:

Once you have the melee weapon as main weapon, the following layout would be perfect:

Mouse Button 1:  melee attack

Mouse Button 2:  block (as it is now)

Former quick melee: channeling

This would be the most common layout I think because using MB1 for channeling is waste of a main button. You do not channel as often as you hit melee, so making MB1 the main button just makes sense.

The biggest problem so far is that we cannot do a layout this way because we are not allowed to map MB1 and MB2 to different actions, so we are forced to have these buttons either for aiming and shooting or for melee and blocking.

So I really really do hope that this issue will be addressed by DE since right now melee does feel a bit imperfect due to the buttonn limitations.

Also I think that your melee layout is better :)

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/219671-ideas-for-improving-the-melee-system-please-read/

My thread on improving the Melee system in the right feedback forum, please read.

It also addresses:

"A button to Toggle Channeling instead of having to hold it"

"Alternate Melee Key bindings"

Honestly, this has pretty much nothing to do with what I am asking for here.

Your thread does contain awesome ideas but this much more an overhaul to the entire melee system.

I am just asking for the possibility of remapping some keys properly without any change to the system at all - letting us use the proprt buttons is just a small hotfix ;)

Edited by OldSnakeMGS4

This is my layout:

MB1: Fire weapon / Block (when melee is out)

MB2: Aim / Channel

MB3: Crouch (I have both Ctrl and MB3 as crouch, the settings allows you to bind 2 keys to 1 command)

Wheel down: Melee attack

With melee on wheel, I don't have to keep mashing the button, though Stannces will be harder to execute. I still have my Default 'E' to use though

MB2 to channel. It's the same as aiming the weapon. I rarely shoot from the hip so I'm used to holding MB2.

With this set up its easier for me to travel around as well. The usual run and slide, I just left shift and press MB3. Its easier. Add if I want to do spin melee, my finger is already pressing MB3 anyways, so I'll scroll down.

Or if you have a gaming house that has a whole lot of buttons with macro function, some creative remapping will do the trick. You can even hotkey the stances, so all you need is to press 1 button and the stance is executed.

I 100% agree with this. I remember back in U8, my friend and I did a mission with melee rebound to MB1, and it felt amazingly badass. I want an option to recreate that with the new melee system.

I think the simplest solution would be to just have a different set of keybindings for in and out of "melee mode". If you want E as your melee key both with gun or melee drawn, just make sure it's bound that way in both modes. If you want MB1 as melee in melee mode, just bind it separately.

Also, an option to set channeling to toggle would be nice; complex WASD maneuvers might be hard to do while holding down E.