Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Terra: An Earth Element "child" Warframe Concept

Anneal

Terra: An Earth Element "Child" Warframe Concept

Codex Entry:

Terra is the smallest Warframe, specializing in manipulating minerals in all its various forms.

Why earthen powers?

Players already have access to fire, water, lightning, ice and wind with Ember, Hydroid, Volt, Frost and Zephyr, respectively. An earth-type Warframe just seems inevitable. Thus, I simply want to try taking a shot at the theme, while providing refreshing, addictive and synergizing ability mechanics.

Why a child?

Warframe caters to a lot of niches. There's a noble paladin, an angry berserker, a clever assassin, a hulking tank with Oberon, Valkyr, Loki, Rhino, respectively. It seems that most of us expect an earth elemental to be portrayed as a muscular bruiser or a mother earth figure, but that's just far too easy. So why not offer the opposite? A child who is young and naive. Of course, she is quite the talented Tenno, but the traditional concept of life and death is meaningless to her innocent mind. Her persona is stubborn and decisive. However, her frame is small and lithe.

Abilities:

Spire

Mod Description: Impale an enemy from below with a stalagmite.

Mechanics:

·         An enemy must be selected via the player's crosshairs

·         An enemy can still be targeted through multiple walls and obstacles

·         Effective range of 25 metres

·         Deals 50/100/200/400 puncture damage

·         Deals an additional 18/23/28/33 % of max health to enemies who are knocked down

·         Cannot be cast while airborne

·         Ineffective on airborne enemies

Strategy: Spire is the player's core single target ability. It is cheap and reliable in situations where fully forma'ed firearms may be ineffective. It eliminates most low to mid level mobs with ease and scales well with high level mobs, provided that they are knocked down. It is especially useful with mobs in defense and survival missions.

Maximization: Spire is affected by strength and range mods.

Wall

Mod Description: Block incoming attacks with a structure of stone.

Mechanics:

·         Recasting [2] on an empty space raises another wall

·         Recasting [2] on an existing wall causes it to slide forward

·         Enemies along the way are knocked down and dragged

·         Range of 10/15/20/25 metres  or until it meets an obstacle/boss

·         Duration of 10/15/20/30 seconds

·         Placement limit of 2/3/4/5 walls

·         Takes 0.5 seconds to rise from the ground

Strategy: Unlike Electric Shield and Snow Globe, Stone Wall is a collision object that forces all enemies around it. Besides being able to create defensive fortresses, players can provide hard crowd control to the team via knock downs. It synergizes well with Spire, where Terra can proc max % health damage to multiple targets like an AoE, since Wall drags and deposits everything onto a single spot. Spire can also be effortlessly casted behind a Wall. It is useful for protecting objectives in mobile defense and defense missions.

Maximization: Wall is affected by duration and range mods.

Quake

Mod Description: Detect nearby foes with seismic vibrations.

Mechanics:

·         Knocks down enemies within 4/6/8/10 metres

·         Stumbles enemies within 14/16/18/20 metres

·         Reveals enemies through walls within 20/30/40/50 metres

·         Shows enemies on the radar within 0/10/20/30 metres

·         Duration of 10/15/20/30 seconds

·         Spire auto targets nearby enemies if no targets are found within the crosshairs 

Strategy: Like Wall, Quake also synergizes with Spire with its hard crowd control and wall hacks. However, Quake also makes Punch Through weapons and mods (i.e. Shred, Metal Auger) viable outside situations where the enemy is not jumbled into a crowd (i.e. shooting through buildings, cover, etc). It also stacks with Enemy Sense and Enemy Radar, but it does not apply to party members. It is useful for finding more enemies (i.e. more life support) in survival missions.

Maximization: Quake is affected by duration and range mods.

Terraform

Mod Description: Empower all allies with dense minerals and geothermal energy.

Mechanics:

·         Duration of 8/12/16/20 seconds

·         Terra is immobile during this period

·         Provides knock down immunity

·         Provides status proc immunity

·         Provides a reflection boost depending on the highest level of an enemy in the area

·         Provides an armor boost depending on the number of enemies in the area

·         Provides rapid shield recharge that cannot be interrupted by damage

·         Provides an extra 50/100/150/200 maximum health

·         Can apply to objectives (i.e. systems, cyropods, hostages)

Strategy: Fissure is an aura buff that does not provide invincibility, yet still turns seemingly fragile teams into powerhouses. It can turn the tide when facing bosses and high level Void mobs. However, Terra is helpless (i.e. cannot move or attack) during this channeling period. Thus, her teammates need to pick up the slack or little will be achieved.

Maximization: Fissure is affected by strength and duration.

Other:

Mass Driver

Alternative Names: Rock Throw, Unstoppable Force

Description: Compresses a mass of minerals into a spiraling sphere and launches it at an enemy at high velocities. The intensity of compression and amount of mass increases with each consecutive cast.

How it Works: This ability is the player's core single target attack. Cheap, effective and direct. Pressing [1] will display a scene of Terra forming an attack and launching it, followed by a scene of a nearby enemy getting struck. Pressing [1] again will result in an attack on another enemy. Chaining [1]s together leads to cinematic-like cut scene, where the player can gain satisfaction in witnessing their attacks growing from pebbles to boulders and watching enemies wiping out in multiple ways (i.e. ragdoll physics) from getting hit in either the head, gut, groin, limbs, etc.

Mechanics: Mass Driver's casting animation roots Terra to her location. Therefore, it does not have movement utility (i.e. Slash Dash) nor invincibility frames (i.e. Bladestorm). In other words, the player is immobile with their screen focused on enemies instead of themselves. A risk versus reward factor is involved, where continuously pressing [1] leads to exponentially increasing damage at the cost of being left highly vulnerable.

Modifications: Mass Driver is affected by strength and range.

Orbital Ring

Alternative Names: Rock Slide, Unmoveable Mountain

Description: Forms a swirling vortex of earth in a combination of its solid, liquid, gaseous and plasma states to repel both range and melee attacks. This defense is capable of knocking down most enemies.

How it Works: This ability provides survivability and hard crowd control. Pressing [2] will make Terra gather material and add an accelerating spin. The ring will then expand outwards until it reaches its maximum range and will continue to persist until a set time limit expires. Pressing [2] again will also cancel the ability.

Mechanics: Like Mass Driver, Orbital Ring roots Terra to her location. She is not invincible, but she does gain knockdown and status effect immunity, an armor boost proportional to the number of nearby enemies, and rapid regeneration to health and shields that cannot be interrupted by any sustained damage. It is also important to note that Orbital Ring operates on a single plane of axis. Thus, positioning is key, since Terra and her allies are more vulnerable to enemies on different elevations (i.e. flying units, enemies on stairwells, etc). This may be unavoidable when objectives (i.e. defense, mobile defense, etc) are involved.

Modifications: Orbital Ring is affected by duration and range.

Earthquake

Alternative Names: Seismic Fissure, Bottomless Sinkhole

Description: Channels a seismic shockwave into the ground below resulting in violent tremors of high magnitudes.

How it Works: This ability is the player's area of effect attack. It does not provide hard crowd control (i.e. Rhino Stomp), but it may cause some enemies to stumble. It is also not a damage over time attack (i.e. Hallowed Ground), since damage is delivered all at once as a burst. Pressing [3] will make Terra send energy into the ground, followed by the environment shaking up and high damage numerical figures appearing everywhere.

Mechanics: You probably have caught on to the theme- Yes, Earthquake roots Terra to her location. It is expensive to use, but there are no limits to the amount of enemies hit as long as they are within range. Earthquake cannot hit airborne enemies (i.e. Avalanche), but to compensate, it ignores armor and deals a % maximum health damage to all foes that are currently knocked down. Thus, Earthquake scales reliably into late game (i.e. defense, survival).

Modifications: Earthquake is affected by strength and range.

Terraform (old)

Alternative Names: Gaia's Grace, Fertile Soil

Description: Refines earthen material into complex nanorobotics, which functions to cultivate the environment into a more habitable setting for nearby allies.

How it Works: This ability provides the player some much needed utility. Pressing [4] will make Terra memorize or save the states (i.e. health, shields, energy, ammo, etc) of nearby allies. Pressing [4] again will system restore these states. In other words, if a player Terraforms an area with a nearby ally at "x" amount of health and that very same ally is downed a few seconds later, then recasting the ability restores that ally to exactly that "x" amount of health without the need for a revive. Failure to press [4] after the initial cast will cause the ability to expire after a set amount of time.

Mechanics: Terraform roots Terra to her location. She must be alive (i.e. not downed, nor dead) in order to recast the ability. Terraform's initial cast is ineffective on downed allies and its recast is ineffective on dead allies. Terraform's initial cast will work on cyropods, computers and hostages, but the recast must be made before their health hits zero or else, the mission ends in failure. Its initial cast will slightly boost the effects of a life-support capsule, but it is ineffective on personal life-support capsules.

Modifications: Terraform is affected by duration and range.

Stats:

The Zephyr thread had the right idea, where posting solid figures for stats and polarities are largely avoided. This thread simply presents a concept. The balancing process to make a frame less underpowered or overpowered all comes afterwards. In summary, I want Terra to be a balanced frame, like Excalibur. Modding for speed combined with her small hit boxes can make her exceptional for melee and gun play. However, when Terra uses her abilities, she trades in her mobility to become an offensive and defensive powerhouse. Simply put, I want Terra to be a reflection of earth itself. Of course, she is not as fluid as water or as free as air, but she is still diverse and full of substance.

Art:

None available at the moment.

Thanks for reading!

-Anneal

Edited by Anneal

Sounds pretty nifty, but I'd change the first ability to something that you can charge. Power Duration would increase the speed of the charging animation, Power Damage would also increase the maximum size or the material of the projectile. Quick taps could still be used to pelt targets though.

As for the ultimate, it sounds like it would be hell to implement. I'd say change it to a ranged targeted AoE like Bullet Attractor, but with the range of Vauban's Vortex. But here's the hook, it's called Petrify; it knocks down and slowly solidifies the targets over 15 seconds (Power Duration increases petrification speed.) This ability should cause the targets to shatter when killed.

Downing a group of them with your 4 ability, then hurling a 5m ball of dirt or iron at them would be pretty amazing to say the least.

As for the ultimate, it sounds like it would be hell to implement. I'd say change it to a ranged targeted AoE like Bullet Attractor, but with the range of Vauban's Vortex. But here's the hook, it's called Petrify; it knocks down and slowly solidifies the targets over 15 seconds (Power Duration increases petrification speed.) This ability should cause the targets to shatter when killed.

Needless to say, when enemies shatter they explode violently sending bits of stone everywhere doing additional damage to enemies hit. :D

Sounds pretty nifty, but I'd change the first ability to something that you can charge. Power Duration would increase the speed of the charging animation, Power Damage would also increase the maximum size or the material of the projectile. Quick taps could still be used to pelt targets though.

Downing a group of them with your 4 ability, then hurling a 5m ball of dirt or iron at them would be pretty amazing to say the least.

Hi!

Essentially, holding [1] to charge an attack adds a lot more dmg burst in a window of say, 1-2 seconds. However, why root yourself to burst an enemy down when you can do the same thing with a 3 forma Soma or Boltor Prime with free mobility?

Tapping [1] for attacks that get exponentially stronger over time feels like a more interesting mechanic. A player has to find good positioning, or use their [2] ability, so that they can give themselves a window of say, 9-10 seconds. If executed correctly, they will be seeing +2k dmg a hit for cheap energy costs. 

In regards to [4]. If the goal was to kill a group of enemies, [3] works better. If the goal was to create long term CC, [2] works better. Note that [2] and [3] are meant be used in combination together. The goal of number [4] was to introduce a new mechanic, acting as a safety net for allies and objectives at the cost of rooting yourself down. On the other hand, Petrify as you described sounds like Vauban's 15 second Bastille combined with the freezing effects of Frost's Avalanche. Also, Petrify lore wise sounds more of something Medusa frame should have (cough... Saryn... cough* lol).

Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by Anneal

So... Mass Driver is an even longer Soul Punch, Orbital Ring is super-Turbulence, Earthquake is mini-Soundquake, and Terraform is like... some kind of time manipulation skill?

Possibly unrelated, but this does remind me of a concept I wrote up a while ago. Gender-swapped, but we even both had the same idea for a smaller, more immature character.

So... Mass Driver is an even longer Soul Punch, Orbital Ring is super-Turbulence, Earthquake is mini-Soundquake, and Terraform is like... some kind of time manipulation skill?

Possibly unrelated, but this does remind me of a concept I wrote up a while ago. Gender-swapped, but we even both had the same idea for a smaller, more immature character.

Technically, Mass Driver auto-targets and is a cinematic, so... it is like a fragmented Bladestorm without the invincibility. Orbital Ring could perhaps be likened to Turbulence, but imagine it providing protection on a single plane (x-axis) instead of Zephyr's 360 degrees Bullet Deflection... and you cannot move. Earthquake can be likened to Avalanche, but does not freeze (stumbles instead) and that does not hit Airborne enemies (will not synergize with Vauban, Mag, Zephyr). And Terraform, well... Time Manipulation sounds pretty cool. A new mechanic. There are a lot of Space-Time Warframe concepts though.

And lol, Burrow looks awesome. Drilling through metal floors. This was before Hydroid's Undertow too.

Edited by Anneal

Ultimately though, I think the big issue with this frame concept is that it's not very... mobile. I understand it's the point to make her grounded due to her elemental theme, but at the same time, she is a Tenno - a ninja above all else. She should be maneuverable and fluid in her fighting style; nobody enjoys stopping and stalling to use abilities when they could just run in guns-blazing. Just look at what they did to Frost for sitting in his bubble all day, or all the complaints about movement speed.

Ultimately though, I think the big issue with this frame concept is that it's not very... mobile. I understand it's the point to make her grounded due to her elemental theme, but at the same time, she is a Tenno - a ninja above all else. She should be maneuverable and fluid in her fighting style; nobody enjoys stopping and stalling to use abilities when they could just run in guns-blazing. Just look at what they did to Frost for sitting in his bubble all day, or all the complaints about movement speed.

The idea is, she is fragile and mobile when outside of her abilities. Her [2] specifically grants a lot of stats. The player has to her abilities depending on the situation.

Just throwing this out there as a suggestion going along with the whole fluidity argument why not take a page from avatar and have a Toph inspired move that functions similarly to rhino charge but with a twist like a small explosion effect or she pushes all the enemys caught it in forward like a snowplow of sorts. But that's just my two scents all in all I love the idea of a fresh character model that would change how people control their warframes essentially. Some one closer to the ground. And a giant galatine on a kids back sounds hilarious to watch.

Just throwing this out there as a suggestion going along with the whole fluidity argument why not take a page from avatar and have a Toph inspired move that functions similarly to rhino charge but with a twist like a small explosion effect or she pushes all the enemys caught it in forward like a snowplow of sorts. But that's just my two scents all in all I love the idea of a fresh character model that would change how people control their warframes essentially. Some one closer to the ground. And a giant galatine on a kids back sounds hilarious to watch.

^This. Toph. Omg. +1

Edit- Also, reading back on Terraform. It's effects are really useful, but it does seem out of place in respect to the entire kit.

There should be a way to make it more destructive without turning it into just another damage nuke. For anyone who has seen the latest Man of Steel movie, you might know what I'm trying to get at. And for any Fate fans out there, having a Sword of Rupture in Warframe sounds kind of amazing (FZ).

Edited by Anneal