Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should +100% Channeling Efficiency Use No Energy?

Bobsplosion

From the wiki:

While Reflex Coil and Focus Energy combined will total 100% channeling efficiency, Melee Channel has a minimum energy cost of 1 Energy per strike, translating to an 80% Power Efficiency cap.

So, while we all know Power Efficiency has a 75% cap, (which shouldn't be changed for balancing,) but do you think that the 1 energy cost of a melee channel attack is really necessary or a hindrance?

Vote and discuss.

http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=53588889e4b060ef2f0bef5a

Follow up question: Should there be more mods that increase efficiency to counteract the mods that decrease efficiency?

Edited by Bobsplosion

From the wiki:

So, while we all know Power Efficiency has a 75% cap, (which shouldn't be changed for balancing,) but do you think that the 1 energy cost of a melee channel attack is really necessary or a hindrance?

Vote and discuss.

http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=53588889e4b060ef2f0bef5a

Follow up question: Should there be more mods that increase efficiency to counteract the mods that decrease efficiency?

I think it still needs a minimum energy cost. The damage bonus from the channelling is +50%, raw. To make it cost no energy would be to be able to run around with a +50% damage mod perpetually on, which is especially pronounced with bonuses on stances. Killing blow increases this to 100% increase or so.

With a 100% efficiency, though, we can afford a -20% efficiency on our channelling build. Corrupt Charge can be used up to rank 2. -20% efficiency for +50% channelling damage. 

So, free +125% damage bonus, before considering stances. 

I don't think it's too wise.

hm.

idunno. maybe? i feel like even then i still wouldn't use Channeling, because you need to sacrifice way too much Damage to fit a set of Channeling Mods on for me to ever use it. sure, this and that Channeling Mod adds Damage, but on many Melee's that's an Anti-Faction or Elemental you'd need to remove most of, which... results in a not so great paper Damage increase, and in actual combat, i'd wager an actual net loss since Enemies aren't very weak to Physical Types compared to Elemental Types. 

but that's just me.

Reflex Coil and Focus Energy (actually i think Focus Energy had a name change, but w/e) are now Channeling Efficiency instead of Charge Speed ;)

With a 100% efficiency, though, we can afford a -20% efficiency on our channelling build. Corrupt Charge can be used up to rank 2. -20% efficiency for +50% channelling damage. 

If they drop the minimum 1 energy cost, then anything less than +100% would use 1 energy.

I think it still needs a minimum energy cost. The damage bonus from the channelling is +50%, raw. To make it cost no energy would be to be able to run around with a +50% damage mod perpetually on, which is especially pronounced with bonuses on stances. Killing blow increases this to 100% increase or so.

So, free +125% damage bonus, before considering stances. 

I don't think it's too wise.

Yeah, but it takes two mods to get 100% efficiency. And every channeling mod except those two and Killing blow reduces energy efficiency, so I don't really see a problem with 100% efficiency.

In all honesty, shouldn't 100% eff mean 1/2 the amount used?

so like still 2.5 (which is 3) energy? I mean I dont want that to be the case, but isn't that more... right?

I know what you're getting at, but having 100% efficiency is the same thing as being perfectly efficient.

It would destroy the reason of sword alone: while sword is.equipped, people use less abilities so while channeling therr should be a limitation to it, which is channel cost. Oh btw people who thinks removing damage mods for channel mods gives them less dps i strongly advise them mathematics. Highest dps can only be achieved by channel mods, so that equipped melee is strongly superior to quick melee.

If they drop the minimum 1 energy cost, then anything less than +100% would use 1 energy.

Oh yeah. 

Silly me. 

But then, if you had more energy efficient mods, you could potentially get that 100% with one more mod slot, and rank Corrupt Charge to maintain at 100% efficiency, through now it would take 3 mods for it. 

Hmm. 

Weaknesses, criticals, and total damage, including elements, are applied on channelling, though. It's strong, even with 3 mods less. This is effectively the Split Chamber of melee weapons, with an energy cost. 

Oh yeah. 

Silly me. 

But then, if you had more energy efficient mods, you could potentially get that 100% with one more mod slot, and rank Corrupt Charge to maintain at 100% efficiency, through now it would take 3 mods for it. 

Hmm. 

Weaknesses, criticals, and total damage, including elements, are applied on channelling, though. It's strong, even with 3 mods less. This is effectively the Split Chamber of melee weapons, with an energy cost. 

The idea would be that you could potentially add more efficiency mods (at the cost of slots,) so that you can fit more mods that decrease efficiency.

Basically, it would allow more variety.

Although I'd kind of like it to see it. Isn't that technically impossible by the nature of channelling? 
I'm imbuing my energy in to the blade so effectively that I'm...not imbuing my energy in to the blade at all. 

Some of it has to be expended at some point, even if it's over multiple swings. 

Although I'd kind of like it to see it. Isn't that technically impossible by the nature of channelling? 

I'm imbuing my energy in to the blade so effectively that I'm...not imbuing my energy in to the blade at all. 

Some of it has to be expended at some point, even if it's over multiple swings. 

If you want to rationalize it, then consider that you're flowing your energy through your sword, but then channeling it back into yourself.

So it moves like a chainsaw blade.

The idea would be that you could potentially add more efficiency mods (at the cost of slots,) so that you can fit more mods that decrease efficiency.

Basically, it would allow more variety.

That is true! The presence of energy efficiency mods would certainly do that.

But you're also for the total reduction of channelling cost, if efficiency is 100%. Those are not of the same topic. 

More channelling efficiency mods are good: I can equip Life strike, quickening and Corrupt charge, and with the efficiency mods, they're no longer too costly to use, at the expense of some element damage or some such.

However, to make it free would be... A completely different topic. It would make melee extremely powerful, since Life Strike can be applied for free, Quickening can be applied for free, and those are arguably more precious than damage sometimes, because Quickening and Life strike stun-locks an enemy while you continuously steal health, to say nothing of what future mods may be like. At least having a 1 energy cost mitigates that to an extent.

If you want to rationalize it, then consider that you're flowing your energy through your sword, but then channeling it back into yourself.

So it moves like a chainsaw blade.

Also, lightsaber. The energy from a lightsaber makes an arc from the emitter back into the power supply, so it's pretty efficient. However, it still consumes energy when you pass it over an object, because the energy is used to "Destroy" what it touches, to put it simply.

No because things that don't scale break game balance. Bastille, Snowglobe, Chaos, etc.

No you break the game. Abilities that deal pure dmg break the game. Abilities that dont have utility break the game balance. You and people like you who dont realise that are breaking the game. I though we had all passed this bullcrap and agreed utility> pure hp/dmg points and that its the right way for abilities to go.

Nope, as that would make setting up to run in channeling mode full time a no brainer.  Focus Energy essentially has no cost right now, due to the pure damage melee mods for cold and electrical capping at 60%, and no 8th slot mod could approach the benefit of +50% damage.  For that matter, Killing Blow would become required then as well.  Channeling full time would become the only option for optimal play.