Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(Not So) Tranquil Cleave

Instinction

Well, with a weapon like a sheathed katana, you expect some sort of gracefulness to it.

Clean, sharp strikes that go straight through an enemy, and then the *click* when the guard hits the sheath causes your enemy to slide apart into pieces.

That's a fantastical imagining of it that you see in samurai animes, but you get the general gist of the idea.

That is something along the lines of what I expected from "Tranquil" Cleave.

Boy was I wrong.

The combos look more like a ninja who has anger management issues and also a bad case of the shakes.

Seriously, the animations are just jarring and awkward. Very un-befit of a katana.

I think a more single, heavy sweeping attacks, or lightning fast slashes are characteristic of a katana.

Just a thought for possible future stances.

Edit: This isn't about the name of the stance. I could really care less about the name, I was just segwaying off the "tranquil" part.

I mean to say is that a katana should be graceful, and elegant. Not all stabby, and awkward.

Edited by Instinction

Why do people get so worked up about names?

It really doesn't matter.

Boy was I wrong.

The combos look more like a ninja who has anger management issues and also a bad case of the shakes.

Seriously, the animations are just jarring and awkward. Very un-befit of a katana.

^

Thats the problem here, the name is ok but i must agree on the combo part.

Well that initial anime style cutting something in two then returning with a click is not possible in a stance. It has to be used lots attacking and put away attacking and put away. Slash dash gives a closer result to that idea of a movie moment slash.

Also Tranquil cleave does not mean the attacks have to be peaceful. Whats next? You don't like Burning wasp because your character does not fly around and attack people with its abdomen?

The style is fine. Though we draw our style of "Space Ninjas" does not mean we have to be historically accurate.

You know ninjas probably would not even use katanas right? Katanas would also have more style and patterns designed by Samurai then ninjas to.

All of this is moot though. Tranquil cleave is one of the better stance mods and has a variety of options.

Edited by MDRLOz

Why do people get so worked up about names?

It really doesn't matter.

It's not really about the name. I was more going of the "tranquil part".

I really don't care what the name is, but like I said the combos are fitting for a katana.

It needs something more graceful. Like that signature slash move you see in tv shows, where two guys showdown and both attack with their katanas at the same time and then stand there after they pass each other, then one falls.

That's kinda the idea I'm getting at, for what I mean by "gracefulness".

Well that initial anime style cutting something in two then returning with a click is not possible in a stance. It has to be used lots attacking and put away attacking and put away. Slash dash gives a closer result to that idea of a movie moment slash.

Also Tranquil cleave does not mean the attacks have to be peaceful. Whats next? You don't like Burning wasp because your character does not fly around and attack people with its abdomen?

"Clean, sharp strikes that go straight through an enemy, and then the *click* when the guard hits the sheath causes your enemy to slide apart into pieces.

That's a fantastical imagining of it that you see in samurai animes, but you get the general gist of the idea.

That is something along the lines of what I expected from "Tranquil" Cleave."

It's just to get the idea in your head, not what the exact combo should be. I'm just using the imagery to get the feeling of a katana across.

Edited by Instinction

Actually, what Loz points out is interesting. Most of our attacks aren't "Historically accurate".

But what would be nice, is that if we actually did have a few historically accurate weapon stances. The greatswords wielded by the germans; Katanas by the samurai; Bo of the shaolin monks and karate-kas; Swords of the English Knights and Fencers of France.

It could happen, considering that these weapon styles are now all able to be added in via mods. In fact, there's a sword-and-board on the way. We're gonna be getting Nordic stances, too!  ;P

It's something that may be considered to be added in, considering we now have the base for it: Melee 2.0 was meant to be this sort of thing. What doesn't exist, could exist. Tranquil Cleave may not be the issue, but it still has a valid point: 

Will we get other stances of a completely different style?

I do think so. And perhaps some historically accurate ones, too, if DE bothers to.

The name is misleading. The description, not so much. "Powerful arcs with frenzied combo."

True, you are right, it does state that the moves are "frenzied".

But this isn't about the description, or the name.

It's about that frenzied moves don't fit the style of a katana. That's not how a katana is used, or should look. Or so I think, from most things I've seen.

Actually, what Loz points out is interesting. Most of our attacks aren't "Historically accurate".

But what would be nice, is that if we actually did have a few historically accurate weapon stances. The greatswords wielded by the germans; Katanas by the samurai; Bo of the shaolin monks and karate-kas; Swords of the English Knights and Fencers of France.

It could happen, considering that these weapon styles are now all able to be added in via mods. In fact, there's a sword-and-board on the way. We're gonna be getting Nordic stances, too!  ;P

It's something that may be considered to be added in, considering we now have the base for it: Melee 2.0 was meant to be this sort of thing. What doesn't exist, could exist. Tranquil Cleave may not be the issue, but it still has a valid point: 

Will we get other stances of a completely different style?

I do think so. And perhaps some historically accurate ones, too, if DE bothers to.

I really hope we do get more stances befitting of the weapons they belong to, It would be a nice treat to use more "traditional" styles, even if they aren't so fanciful, or "eye-candy".

You cant have that gracefulness in an ability that you need to attack another guy 2 seconds later....

Please dont ask for things which would be impossible to fulfill game-play wise. Please stay grounded.

By the way. In before people say:

Not enough bleeding or trees in my "Bleeding willow"

Not enough brutality or oceans in my "Brutal Tide"

Not enough Fire or insects in my "Burning Wasp"

Not enough "clashing" or trees in my "Clashing Forest"

Not enough Cleaving or wind in my "cleaving Whirlwind"

Not enough wrapping around or snakes in my "Coiling Viper"

Not enough red or poverty in my "Crimson Dervish"

Not enough smashing or destroying in my "crushing Ruin"

Not enough moving across or snakes in my "crossing snakes"

Not enough flappy arm motions or tree components in my "flailing branch"

Not enough breaking wind sneakily in my "fracturing wind"

Not enough sparkle or sharp points in my "gleaming talon"

Not enough teeth or small fish in my "Gnashing Payara"

Not enough stoicness or anger in my "grim fury"

Not enough automatic guiding attacks or sharp teeth in my "homing Fang"

Not enough metal or supernatural mythical creatures in my "Iron Phoenix"

Not enough Death or spinning in my "reaping Spiral"

Not enough tearing or birds in my "rending crane"

Not enough plate tectonics or hands in my "Seismic Palm"

Not enough smashing or weather patterns in my "Shattering Storm"

Not enough water to fall through or sharp things in my "sinking talon"

Not enough creepy people following me around in my "stalking Fan"

Not enough bright lights or disease in my "shimmering blight"

Not enough devastation or needle work in my "sundering weave"

Not enough rotation or large cats in my "Swirling Tiger"

and ofc

Not enough peace and tranquility with large swooping motions in my Tranquil cleave.

Edited by MDRLOz

You cant have that gracefulness in an ability that you need to attack another guy 2 seconds later....

Please dont ask for things which would be impossible to fulfill game-play wise. Please stay grounded.

By the way. In before people say:

Not enough bleeding or trees in my "Bleeding willow"

Not enough brutality or oceans in my "Brutal Tide"

Not enough Fire or insects in my "Burning Wasp"

Not enough "clashing" or trees in my "Clashing Forest"

Not enough Cleaving or wind in my "cleaving Whirlwind"

Not enough wrapping around or snakes in my "Coiling Viper"

Not enough red or poverty in my "Crimson Dervish"

Not enough smashing or destroying in my "crushing Ruin"

Not enough moving across or snakes in my "crossing snakes"

Not enough flappy arm motions or tree components in my "flailing branch"

Not enough breaking or air in my "fracturing wind"

Not enough sparkle or sharp points in my "gleaming talon"

Not enough teeth or small fish in my "Gnashing Payara"

Not enough stoicness or anger in my "grim fury"

Not enough automatic guiding attacks or sharp teeth in my "homing Fang"

Not enough metal or supernatural mythical creatures in my "Iron Phoenix"

Not enough Death or spinning in my "reaping Spiral"

Not enough tearing or birds in my "rending crane"

Not enough plate tectonics or hands in my "Seismic Palm"

Not enough smashing or weather patterns in my "Shattering Storm"

Not enough water to fall through or sharp things in my "sinking talon"

Not enough creepy people following me around in my "stalking Fan"

Not enough bright lights or disease in my "shimmering blight"

Not enough devastation or needle work in my "sundering weave"

Not enough rotation or large cats in my "Swirling Tiger"

and ofc

Not enough peace and tranquility with large swooping motions in my Tranquil cleave.

I don't think anything is impossible to fulfill in this game at all. I can picture it in my head actually, a combo for the katana that would be very good for clearing out hordes of mobs, and very graceful/elegant, and katana-like. You just have to use your imagination.

And props to you for typing all that out. Should add the flame repellant card picture to your post.

Also thinking about it. The mod is called tranquil cleave. Not Cleaves.

So as long as one of the combos has one nice slice the rest is fine.

In-fact the rest should be the opposite, frenzied and as fast as possible so that one part that is just a slice becomes the "Tranquil Cleave" amongst a storm of slashes.

or is how the enemies become "Tranquilly cleaved" after the barrage of furious attacks.

Its just a name. The Katana does still need another stance mod though. Same as machete.

just to add on: the idle animation reinforces the OP. nothing tranquil in the way the sword is unsheathed, waved around at nothing, then jerked back into the scabbard. Perhaps an idle animation which does not bare the blade would agree with the name more.

Then again, as some post points out, it is just name :)

Edited by smithf

Also thinking about it. The mod is called tranquil cleave. Not Cleaves.

So as long as one of the combos has one nice slice the rest is fine.

In-fact the rest should be the opposite, frenzied and as fast as possible so that one part that is just a slice becomes the "Tranquil Cleave" amongst a storm of slashes.

or is how the enemies become "Tranquilly cleaved" after the barrage of furious attacks.

Its just a name. The Katana does still need another stance mod though. Same as machete.

It's my hope they actually intend to add more and more to each weapon type, in addition to others. I got a problem with that, though:

If they do this, it better be purchasable from the Market place. 

I had a suggestion regarding this, where there's a whole section where Warframe Abilities can be bought, and in one other section, "Scrolls of Skill", or some other fancy Asian name. "Scrolls of Mastery" sounds cool, like "Scrolls of Power", but those sound like something out of a Storm Rider episode. 

The addition of stance mods from now may be a consistent matter: For each unique melee weapon, one stance mod will be added. It's in our best interest to keep the drop table as non-frustrating as possible. Not to mention, if you, say, buy a rapier, wouldn't you want to use a Rapier straight away, or learn how to use it? 

Stances should never have been added only to the drop table, if at all. They should be something we pick up, either by Mastery of the weapon, or by Mastery of many weapons, or in the simplest case, just adding it to the darn market, like you could pay a Tenno Instructor to be taught this art.

"Durp, sold my Stance. Hurrhurr-durr-derpy-derp, forgot how to use Iron Phoenix! Hurr hurr, silly me!"

Yeah. Reaaaaaal believable.

i just think it's funny that a weapon that is technically meant to be wielded with two hands has only 2 strikes in all of it's attack animations where both hands are on it.  also, blocking is done with the blade sheathed...   i'm also amazed that there's no high guard stance for the galatine.  whirlwind is really better suited for a gutentag.

wut?

a gutentag is a medievil german peasant weapon.  basically it's a massive, uprooted fence post with sharp metally bits on one end that is great for fighting large crowds of armored foes using heavy sweeping strikes, pretty much like a whirlwind.

a gutentag is a medievil german peasant weapon.  basically it's a massive, uprooted fence post with sharp metally bits on one end that is great for fighting large crowds of armored foes using heavy sweeping strikes, pretty much like a whirlwind.

Ohh, lol I was thinking "Good morning/day" so that's why I was confused.