April 25Th: Community Hot Topics!

[DE]Drew

Sentinels 
Carrier is widely considered the most valuable sentinel because the Vacuum precept is awesome. We gave Helios some utility, but the feedback is ramping up on the logic of his scans being too wasteful to bother with. We are aware that other Sentinels are not ‘as useful’ from a preference standpoint, and we are looking into solutions.

What if some sentinel abilities were made cross-compatible with other sentinels?  Vacuum can go on other sentinels so you can have your melee helios with vacuum?  carrier with the ability to vaporize enemies?

Maybe instead of straight-up allowing sentinel specific abilities to be applied on other sentinels, what if the simple act of pickup distance increase was a standalone mod?  it could be an aura so the team can benefit from it.  Granted, it shouldn't be as good of a boost as carrier's or he'll become useless.  Maybe if all 4 players equip one it'll be roughly as good as carrier's vacuum?  Maybe slightly better since it'd require 4 random (or friends) players to equip it during the same mission to get the added benefit.  As long as Carrier isn't the sole source of pickup distance increase, players may not "need" to use him so much.  I'm personally in that boat, and as much as I'd love to try wyrm or helios, I can't free myself from the crutch Carrier has put me in.

An aura would allow players to help the entire team at once, or just help themselves while they don't use carrier, and also allow themselves a bit of a reprieve when they need to go level their new sentinel so they don't feel like they're missing out on resources.

For all the people complaining about wanting this or that nerfed, you do know there is a game mode called "Private" so you don't have to play with those frames you don't want in your game, right? Cool thing is, there is also solo if you only think the frame you like should be in a game..

There is no real need to change anything when everyone is given the option to play in their own way. Now, with Alliances, it's even easier to find groups that are made up just how you want. Whether that's with a Nova, Trin, Rhino, & Nec, or with 4 Volts..

I don't understand what the complaint is. Someone gets more kills than you do? QQ. If you always got most kills then someone else would have the complaint about you... but you'd be ok with that? Makes no sense. Someone will always have most kills.

Some group formats have it easier than others? So what? That will ALWAYS be the case. There is no way to balance it otherwise. Not without removing all but 1 frame, 1 primary, 1 secondary, and 1 melee. INCLUDING remove all mods. It's simply not a valid complaint.

Edited by Norry.

I agree to a degree Norry, but you can't solo/team up all the time, it's not about Novas getting all the kills per say though that is annoying when trying to level something, frankly it's not fun when all challenge goes out the window, with a nova on the team you can pretty much idle until it's time to go to extraction, same with trinity, you're immortal, no point taking care anymore.

They're clearly horribly overpowered, that doesn't mean they need to be nerfed to uselessness though, means they should get balanced to be more in-line with the rest of the frames, if each pre-made group you join always uses some of the same frames and never others something needs to change, no one in their right mind would use an ash instead of a nova for harder content, that removes choice and fun from the game if you have to bring the same frames every time, a couple months ago all T3D runs were frost(p), vauban, nova and random last, perhaps another nova, perhaps a saryn, perhaps an ember, that's one player that got to make a choice.

The only change I could see being made to Trinity is to reduce the range of #4 = to a fixed range the size of a larger room (maybe like that cave that some early defense missions take place in). Covering an entire large map, I agree, is a bit much. Otherwise I don't think any changes would be for the best and end up being a nerf to uselessness. I can think of plenty of ideas, but at the same time can see where all of those would negate it's usefulness at end game, which is where it excels.

It can make leveling annoying when everyone runs off in different directions instead of sticking together, since EXP is shared within a range, but that's a different problem that many frames can cause, not just Nova. Quite frankly I have seen more of that out of embers than I have novas. WOF and run off killing. Nova excels at high end content, that's all. It's not even "needed" as some seem to think either. Might make it go easier, or a little better, but another group can get just as far without it. Sure in lower end content it can kill good, as in 1 shot things on mass, but there are lots of other frames that can do just as good.

Edited by Norry.

So any word about the changes to Avalanche DE was talking about? I was hoping Frost would still get some love. The old primes (before Rhino Prime) should get a stat buff as well if Rhino gets a speed buff.

So will Frost and Volt be getting cloth physics? How bout the golden trim on Prime warframes with immortal skin?

Coming to sentinels, I agree that Vacuum should be a precept available to all sentinels. Carrier could get another skill instead (maybe desecrate-ish skill?).

I love all the upcoming features but there are still quite a lot of things DE hasn't fully addressed yet.

Edited by Rhekinos

I've stated this somewhere before.  The devstream had a lot of good things in it, but the fact that the devs grabbed ahold of the "Spectre" mod drop instead of the far more sensible "Market Purchase" idea is somewhat depressing.  The community provided two solutions to tenno powers, and the BEST one was simply ignored in favor of an un-neccesary RNG implementation.

I understand the point of using the RNG.  It auto-creates levels, it determines our loot, from a programming standpoint, it allows DE to just simply add an entry to a set of tables instead of hard coding things by hand, reducing development time.  Sure the grind is annoying at times, but then again, so is WoW's grind, amirite?

Oh, I just solved mod dilution.  A new item that can drop from enemies.  Using this item will simply allow you to select from a LIST of mods.  So you Kill a grineer, and get a "Common Mulitmod".  Using the "Common Multimod" brings up a menu with all of the common mods listed.  You simply click on whatever one you want it to become.  DE might implement "Stance Multimods", "Rare Stance Multimods", "Rifle Multimods"... Sure it's dilution, but it's dilution giving A PLAYER A CHOICE.

Also, it might ruin the game.  A "Prime Component" multimod would become the hottest trading commodity ever.

I should put that in my ancient "Good Ideas" thread.

What you practically propose is a token mechanic - which has proved Perfect multiple times already in grind games. Effectively you can get a... dunno... common assassination/resistance/balancer/dark brotherhood/phoenix corporation reward token, dogtag (or "trophy"/tissue sample if infested) from elite enemies, uncommon from leaders and rare from bosses. You can then visit an underground connection or mechant within the dojo, a kiosk or even better a single spot on the starmap (maybe a "silent" hub akin to the ones we were introduced) to collect your reward for killing a somewhat high-ranking enemy.

These tokens could be damn rare and some specific mods (or prime parts) could require multiple ones. Problem fixed, you get what you want and you still have to grind a ton. Better to make even the rare ones drop all the time from the bosses (at least 75%) and make prime parts cost 50 rare ones or so - that way though you are forced to grind an immense amount it's still much better than now. Why? Plain easy - because this way you would know that you will get there if you do X more missions unlike the current situation where you have no idea if you will get that part or mod after a hunder missions even...

Edited by K_Shiro

when are you going to fix frost? you can't just move onto another frame and leave frost unfinished. hes quite literally the worst frame in the game right now.

Don't be ridiculous! He looks badass. True that he has no signature move that is actually useful though :D I mean we have Frost who can essentially cannot freeze opponents. If they were to make most of his abilities freeze enemies, making them fragile and immobile, that would be cool.

- No damage aoe freeze 1st ability.

- A 2nd ability that summons a field of razorsharp ice that applies cold damage and cold status to those getting too close (and shoving back those that are hit by them when it spawns - it could look like the current wave of ice but with colorable ice instead of only colorable smoke and it would stay for a while after being summoned).

- A 3rd ability that summons a snowstorm applying slow to enemies entering it and halving the damage of ranged attacks passing through or into it (and being stackable if you summon more of them essentially going 50-75-87,5 etc. %).

- An ultimate ability that does no damage but freezes every enemy in a huge area for half a minute rendering them fragile as mentioned above.

Those (bosses) that cannot be frozen shall be slowed by 50 or so and all is fine.

_______________   __   _______________

On a side note: Dear DE, it would be nice if you raised the maximum number of rooms in the Dojos. 100 seems Very low considering that a single clan hall (above the basic one) gives 200 points. I still have more than 300 and my dojo is by far not that huge... maybe complex but not huge :)

62jjnbG.png

Edited by K_Shiro

Carrier is great as picking up loot without it is such a pain. So often you can be right there, even literally standing right on the drop, and it isn't picked up. If the area drops were picked up in were greatly increased by default, Carrier wouldn't be the only sentinel worth using in most situations.

This annoys me about Carrier also. I have found that for some reason, when this happens, I just have to reload my weapon and it will make the Carrier pickup the drop. It is a strange bug.

Shade is actually quite good but the invisibility usually kicks in too late or at times you don't need it and ends up being on cooldown when you could use it. It would be better to make it always active and only on cooldown when it's cancelled by getting hit or attacking yourself. Also only cancel the invisibility a second after you attacked or got attacked so you can actually benefit from it (+dmg). 

You, sir, Bravo! I think the very same. Shade should always be cloaked until it attacks, so therefore it wouldn't give you up when trying to sneak around. If it was always cloaked it wouldn't be able to be seen by enemies out of its cloaking range but still in sight range. As for the cooldown, it needs reduction and I totally agree with your ideas on the rest. It's weapon should also be something silent and cooler than a crap laser pistol... we already have 1 sentinel laser weapon, a second is just superfluous and not in a good way.

Ultimately, he doesn't feel like a Druid or warding Paladin, just a weaker halfway point between Ember and Trinity. Doesn't help that his damage is so weak against Infested.

somewhere between a caster and a "support"... wasn't that what "his jack of all trades" meant? and if an hybrid surpasses a pure caster you gotta fix something.

For a lot of the damage-based frames, it's just a matter of giving them some kind of damage scaling (like Nova), or utility that's useful by any team configuration (Good examples: Speed, Snow Globe, Tornado, anything of Hydroid's. Bad example: Accelerant).

Nova is a bad example because a full caster with damage scaling should not have utility added to her highest damage dealing ability, makes others abilities useless both hers and those of the other frames.

actually i want hollow ground to get a Slow effect or perhaps an electric stun proc, would give it REAL utility which it lacks now and increase its damage simply because enemies would take longer to cross it. 

Tornado can be a pain for others and Accelerant is good when used well.

I don't play Frost since his rework.

Please, don't make me do the same thing with my beloved Trinity.

----

About sentinels and Kubrows, I was thinking about a Fetch precept... If you know what I mean.

i actually like frost as it is now, and trinity has to at least lose the ability to stay permanently on blessing.

Being Santa Claus is a perfectly respectable job.

But yeah, the rest of his abilities need to be buffed into usefulness (and Shadows of the Dead should have A.I. on par with current enemy A.I., if not better.)

would be great to give them simple orders like stand here or go there. guess you could make them go to your waypoints that would give Nekros a sort of command role.

desecrate gives you a respectable improvement on the rewards it has to have a downside, if you don't like it leave the job for another nekros.

would be great to give them simple orders like stand here or go there. guess you could make them go to your waypoints that would give Nekros a sort of command role.

desecrate gives you a respectable improvement on the rewards it has to have a downside, if you don't like it leave the job for another nekros.

I thought this very thought lead to Frosts change.

I am sorry but if a frame has only one use, which is nekros case, as good as it is, it needs to be changed, not desecrate, that skill is perfectly fine as is, fully specing your nekros to desecrate doesnt allow you to use a good terrify, soul punch just sucks dont even try to argue and then you can slap a 17s with 7 minions SotD, nothing stellar, barely useful.

My ideas:

Make Terrify an aura power affected by power strenght. (starting at 12 enemies though)

Make the shadows stronger than their living counter parts to compensate their dumb AI, energy cost and life spam. (45/55/65/75% dmg increase).

Definitely agree : giving orders to the summoned enemies is giving Nekros more viability

My ideas:

Make Terrify an aura power affected by power strenght. (starting at 12 enemies though)

Make the shadows stronger than their living counter parts to compensate their dumb AI, energy cost and life spam. (45/55/65/75% dmg increase).

The shadows need some love too : improve their AI,increase their spawn number,buff their health...Plenty of solutions.

This annoys me about Carrier also. I have found that for some reason, when this happens, I just have to reload my weapon and it will make the Carrier pickup the drop. It is a strange bug.

You're on PS4 so may not have gotten that patch yet, but DE improved vacuum so it picks things up more quickly than before, which is what it sounds like what you're talking about. What I was talking about is if you don't have Carrier  with it's vacuum equipped, you can be standing right on top of a drop, and it still isn't picked up, till you run around enough, and hit the sweet spot where it then decides to pick your drop up, credits on a Grineer crate are the worst for this I've found, there always tends to be a few that just don't want to be picked up that readily. This is a major pain, and is why having Carrier with it's vacuum so beneficial, that and all the times drops fly off, and wedge into spots you can't get at, so you couldn't get them without Carrier with it's vacuum. Grineer crates breaking apart into nothing like the others do would also help.

You're on PS4 so may not have gotten that patch yet, but DE improved vacuum so it picks things up more quickly than before, which is what it sounds like what you're talking about. What I was talking about is if you don't have Carrier  with it's vacuum equipped, you can be standing right on top of a drop, and it still isn't picked up, till you run around enough, and hit the sweet spot where it then decides to pick your drop up, credits on a Grineer crate are the worst for this I've found, there always tends to be a few that just don't want to be picked up that readily. This is a major pain, and is why having Carrier with it's vacuum so beneficial, that and all the times drops fly off, and wedge into spots you can't get at, so you couldn't get them without Carrier with it's vacuum. Grineer crates breaking apart into nothing like the others do would also help.

This happens to me too, also very annoying. The most annoying thing over these though, is when you break open a crate and the contents get stuck somewhere that you can't reach, even with Carriers vacuum.

Dark Sectors
Death & Taxes

Tensions are high across the solar system! Many Tenno have said they are pleased with the new Armistice period because it guarantees a chance to play in the Dark Sectors. 

Take away the guaranteed 24 hour peace time. Cause now you are blocking people from deploying their rails by a tremendously long period of time. Which is probably for you benefit because it keeps people playing longer, is the thought, but it's likely to cause people that were going to launch their not bother because now it's even a longer wait time on top of trying to deploy their vs everyone else.

Sentinels 
Carrier is widely considered the most valuable sentinel because the Vacuum precept is awesome. We gave Helios some utility, but the feedback is ramping up on the logic of his scans being too wasteful to bother with. We are aware that other Sentinels are not ‘as useful’ from a preference standpoint, and we are looking into solutions.

There is no actual problem with the rest of the sentinels, the problem is that in teamplay the game is not actually that difficult that people need the help that they provide so they end up, for the most part, putting on carrier cause it cuts down on the looting time and that just helps with the killing time. And this will never ever change. There is really nothing you can do when people get to the later game and they need to farm mats.

This seems to be problematic when you are about to release those ninja dogs but short of nerfing carrier pickup to only one specific type at a time, there is little reason to go for the others.

Edited by Mak_Gohae

The Vacuum ability should either be a common sentinel ability, or a Frame ability. There are many games out there that just give you a wide pick-up radius for items to make things simpler, especially in fast paced games.

Conversly, Carrier can just be about it's shotgun, and perhaps it can also open, smash or unlock lockers and crates instead of it's original ability.

Good to hear that #1 thing on the radar for PS4 is performance.  The more I see and play it's all about performance issues with PS4 (chat, forums, etc.).  Honestly, PS4 doesn't want new content (U13) until performance issues are fixed.  It'll be a shame if U13 drops and causes more issues.

RNG tables are ridiculous right now for how many prime parts are in Void missions.  I'd recommend DE do some statics on peoples accounts reviewing the abnormally large count of some prime parts vs others.  It's getting annoying.  Glad to hear that T4's will be coming hopefully to help though!

Sentinels do need some work.  I only use carrier and LOVE it, however the Vacuum does have the stated problem everyone else mentioned regarding not picking up some items sometimes.  Sounds like Helios does need some work (even though we haven't gotten yet).

Understandable some Warframes need balancing, however think about 'end game' players.  Some of us who like to play 100+ waves for defense and/or hour+ survival need these Warframes to continue the game to play like this. Nerfing Trinity, Nova and/or even Neckro's is a big issue to us.  Sure you can tweak them, but I'd highly recommend considering the players who want to continue to play this game as long mission's (IE: like Call of Duty Zombie stuff) ... You start Nerfing things that keep us going we'll probably find something else to play.  I believe someone else posted above mentioning about "Solo/Invite Only & Private" games.  Maybe there should be game options to play with same type or selective types of frames somehow?  Just a thought...

The Vacuum ability should either be a common sentinel ability, or a Frame ability. There are many games out there that just give you a wide pick-up radius for items to make things simpler, especially in fast paced games.

Conversly, Carrier can just be about it's shotgun, and perhaps it can also open, smash or unlock lockers and crates instead of it's original ability.

If vacuum were a frame ability mod, it'd just be another nice frame utility mod we don't have room for. One of the first suggestions I made for this game when I came to the forums was to increase our default gathering radius, it's just too small, and using something like vacuum shouldn't be so necessary.

I really do feel sentinels/pets are best used for their utility, and expanding that utility would be the best direction. They could make some frame utility mods, usable on sentinels/pets, maybe also make sentinel/pet precepts generic, like their weapons largely are, it's just they may be more/less effective with some, than others.

Balance:

If DE were to nerf abilities that people feel are more necessary for "end game" content, without adjusting said content, that would be a considerable screw up. If instead they made adjustments so some things weren't so absurdly OP, while at the same time adjusting the content people feel they need to be insanely OP for, that would make more things, more useful. If they then expanded that by making more frame abilities scalable, rather than doing fixed damage for instance, that would help even the playing field, and should make things more enjoyable for all.

I'm not a fan of how the codex works currently, why should each tenno have to scan enemies themselves? why would the information be shared at least with their clan? If not all tenno.

It's also cumbersome and annoying to use, when you spot something you want to scan you need to switch to the scanner, get a long enough fix and then keep going, it's disruptive, and hard to do if they spotted you already and are trying to kill you, or if the rest of your squad isn't going to scan it themselves but instead shoot it dead.

A partial reward for scanning dead enemies would be nice, say half a scan point or less, it makes sense, you can glean a lot of information from a corpse, and the long scan time is annoying, and pretty hard to pull off especially on small or fast enemies.

The consumable nature of it doesn't make sense either, it's cheap so it's not a major hurdle buying more, but it's annoying having to do so, and it doesn't make sense, it looks like a pair of binoculars, are we carrying 100 of them and throw each away when used?

What have found to be the best way to get alot is codex scans

Is to run ash max out duration run with three of the hardest hitting frames equip scanner with 500 shots and do a survival and become a combat photographer. makes scanning fun. That's my opinion.good luck.