Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion To Improve Combo Performing: Visual Feedback.

SoanoS

I, just like some other players playing this game, probably have some difficulties performing these new-fangled combos while playing the game.

In my case, it is usually because I am not sure about how long I should be holding buttons and I lose count on how many times I have pressed the melee button. I have got an idea which might make this a bit easier for everyone to pull off those cool combos this Melee 2.0 is all about. Are you ready? Wait for it...

A visual combo helper option!

Not sure if this has been suggested before, but here it is anyway.

Basically, the way this works that when you hit the melee button, a symbol shows up on screen, and it is "chained" with the previous one if it "fits" the combo that is listed ob the stance.

A single melee strike could show up as a normal E symbol (or whatever your keybind is), where a held button would show up as an E of different colour, and any block/arrow keys would have their own symbols.

Let's take an easy 3-hit combo:

You press melee button three times:

E

E E

E E E (Completed combo flashes/is highlighted and the combo is successfully executed)

Now a Hold combo:

E

E E

E E E E

E E E E E (Completed combo flashes on the screen and is executed)

Pause combo:

E

E E

E E E

E E E P  (Pause needs some sort of symbol too, a blank key/button?)

E E E P E (Completed combo flashes on the screen and is executed)

Now, a more difficult one.

E

E E

E E E

E E E ↓+E

E E E ↓+E E (Completed combo flashes on the screen and is executed)

This is just one way to implement us skill-impaired players to pull off those awesome combos more frequently. Of course, this should be a HUD option that can be toggled on and off so that the more skilled players can hide it once they have mastered their weapons.

Feel free to discuss and add ideas.

Edited by SoanoS

The most simplistic melee system I've ever encountered on a game. Yet the community has the most difficult time with it, simply amazing. But anyway it sounds pretty ugly to look at on my screen, and pretty awkward.

You probably can pull those off, but a lot of weapons have very different attack speeds and the mods add even more variables to the system. I for example have trouble executing Reaping Spiral because of the lack of visual feedback. I can't tell if I am clicking fast/slow enough and if I hold down the attack button long enough to get it "right". But I kind of expected some "Negative Nancy" jumping on it right away just because "they don't need it". :P

Btw, you missed the "Toggle option in the UI options" completely?

Edited by SoanoS

The overt simplicity is what makes it really easy to misjudge in the middle of combat. When you're pressing the same button constantly it gets difficult to keep track of which hit you're on if you're trying to pay attention to a lot of other things.

Either way, Riddle of Steel did something like this and it works beautifully. I personally don't care but I can't see it being a bad thing.

The overt simplicity is what makes it really easy to misjudge in the middle of combat. When you're pressing the same button constantly it gets difficult to keep track of which hit you're on if you're trying to pay attention to a lot of other things.

Thank you. This is exactly what I was thinking myself.

The most simplistic melee system I've ever encountered on a game. Yet the community has the most difficult time with it, simply amazing. But anyway it sounds pretty ugly to look at on my screen, and pretty awkward.

He did say "option". If you don't need the help for it, you don't ever need to see the combo helper on screen. Another option could be to finally implement the training rooms in the dojo that everyone has wanted and have it display the combos more visually there, but not in actual combat.

Either way, a visual indicator to help players who can't get the combos down sounds like a good idea as long as it stays optional for players who don't want/need it.

Either way, Riddle of Steel did something like this and it works beautifully. I personally don't care but I can't see it being a bad thing.

I fail to understand the "so simple it's hard logic" However I don't disagree with the suggestion. If people would want that then by all means. I do think it'd look pretty ugly on the screen, as I said.

I do think it'd look pretty ugly on the screen, as I said.

So your argument is "It will look ugly on my screen, even though I can just go to game options and turn it off completely and never even see it."?

I fail to understand the "so simple it's hard logic" However I don't disagree with the suggestion. If people would want that then by all means. I do think it'd look pretty ugly on the screen, as I said.

I'm $&*&*#(%& and cited an RPG. Blade Symphony is the game that does it.

Also it's much easier to tell what you're doing when you have AAXXA committed to muscle memory and you just realized you pressed X twice. When E spamming leads into a single, long, endless and uninterrupted combo however, the only way to tell your place is by memorizing which particular angle of sword swing corresponds to each one and trying to match it up by eye on the fly.

When E spamming leads into a single, long, endless and uninterrupted combo however, the only way to tell your place is by memorizing which particular angle of sword swing corresponds to each one and trying to match it up by eye on the fly.

That is pretty much my point. One way to counter this is to stop melee attacks for a second, but in many cases you don't really have that luxury. :)