The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Survival Tips?

Louisdesnow

Question

I've noticed quite a few people post about their hour-long survival runs, and I wonder how they could last so long when my own teams can't last for more than 30 or 40 minutes due to the lack of spawns or oxygen drops. Besides bringing a Nekros along, how do you salvage enough oxygen to support long survival runs? 

I'm using an Ogris that deals 15k damage per shot, so killing mobs isn't an issue at any stage..

13 answers to this question

What I normally do is go along a "Patrol Route."

This is when you and the rest of your team patrol from one end of the map to another over and over, preferably along a route where the enemies are constantly spawning. Once you find your ideal route, never stop moving.

As for Nekros, if you have more than one, be sure to sync up your Desecrates and spam it when you do. Basically, you all try to cast Desecrate within two seconds of each other, casting about 3-4 times each. This way, the effects stack and you can potentially get two or more oxygen canisters per fallen enemy.

Don't die.

But seriously get faction specific frames (ember for infected, mag for corpus) and weapons (synape for corpus, penta and soma for everybody). Also make sure to have a trinity or 2 for really high levels with blessing.

Edited by Drunken_Child

Don't die.

But seriously get faction specific frames (ember for infected, mag for corpus) and weapons (synape for corpus, penta and soma for everybody). Also make sure to have a trinity or 2 for really high levels with blessing.

I mean, staying alive isn't an issue, and so isn't wiping enemies off the screen. What causes my runs to end early are the lack of oxygen supports being dropped.

I don't consider myself a skillful or power player, but I can usually do T3 Survival past 40 min (sometimes we end mission more because our fingers are tired... LOL).

But below are some stuff I picked up from own experience. Not that they may not apply to all (so if you don't agree, no problem. it is just personal differences). Hope that you can find something useful out of it. Note that they are mostly targeted at T3 Survival. Other survival types may need small variances.

--- Nekros

Despite what other people may claim, imo, Nekros is very useful but not necessary. Just need to kill fast enough. (joint many T3 survival past 40 min without Nekros).

Exception is probably ODS, which is the only survival type which I find myself having to end the mission due to lack of Life Support, instead of enemy levels. Could be due to lower spawn rate/portable life support drop rate, unless a good spawn camping point is found.

--- Loki

imo, Loki could actually be more essential than Nekros. Whether it is to

* revive a fallen team mate,

* sneak behind enemy groups to activate Lotus Support,

* or run to the extraction when oxygen is out and the rest of the team are all down.

Radial Disarm with maxed range also works wonders, especially when coupled with other frame's CC abilities.

But lack of damage abilities will need good weapons are required. Try to exploit melee weapons, especially crits when invisible. Do not underestimate this. I can often get the most or second most kills in a survival mission with just melee weapon alone.

--- Revive

if an invisible Loki/Ash is nearby, let him (alone) do the reviving.

If not, then let the first guy (alone) who reached do reviving.

The rest should concentrate on CC/killing enemies around/staying alive.

Bunching up to revive one fallen player often leads to whole team getting knocked out.

--- Corrosive damage

Corrosive damage may scale better at higher level (at least for void).

I don't do the math, but it has worked pretty well for me so far.

--- Stick together

Try to stick together as a team or at least in pairs. At least it will make sure somebody will be around to revive a fallen team mate.

Unconfirmed, but it may help with spawning as well (since spawning only happens in rooms where there are no players). To keep spawn rate high, a room with many open exits is usually good. Host performance may affect spawn rate too though. (not just network latency/bandwidth, but actual computing powers as well)

Patrol route mentioned in earlier post is highly recommended.

Don't have to agree with what i've said above (it may just work for myself). But hope there is something useful in all this for you.

A lot of what smithf said is true. the more you kill, the higher the percentage of life support you gain instead of lose. I've used Ash or Rhino to get to life support with little effort. My main all around elemental is corrosive plus cold. Works great in Void or otherwise. Sticking together also works. It's hard to revive someone when they are on the other side of the map and you have to make a choice, life support or revive the down teammate? Rooms with high spawn rates also works. T3 survival main large room with three stories is always teeming with a high spawn rate. It gets intense. I've never played with Nekros or anyone who had one, so I can comment on that one.

it does depend on spawns quite a bit. you'll definitely want a nekros, and you'll definitely want to stick together. find a larger room with lots of connecting rooms, those are generally pretty good. each tileset has some rooms that are better than others, but again, it depends on if they have connecting rooms. a "good spawn room" that has a lot of terminal exits isn't super helpful

if you want to go for a long time, trinity becomes a necessity. if you're fighting infested, they happen to have either a lower spawn rate than normal factions, or a lower oxygen drop rate. it's just notoriously hard to survive against the infested without 1 or 2 nekros. if you're fighting infested, bring a high slash damage weapon and hope that sometimes when you split a body in half, both of those parts each give you oxygen tanks. might also be helpful to have a full squad, as long as you guys stick together

Its better for spawns to stay in a single location, granted you have open doors around you. The more you move around the more you mess with spawns. Try playing in a room with a blue and staying there. Bottleneck the enemies for your ogris and kill the group aoe style. As mentioned before, its all about the speed of which you kill them.

The best piece of advice I can give is don't wander around aimlessly.

What you should do is hang near the 02, preferably in a suitable location, though that is a pure crapshoot. Some maps are just troublesome (Earth) and others are just generated in troublesome ways (big dead end room with limited access). Still, the enemies will come to you. Wandering around just scatters the spawns, disrupts enemy pathing, and indirectly interferes with O2 generation.

Patrolling between two good O2 drop sites works well enough; just resist the urge to wander off.

Lastly, stick together. You don't have to hang out in each others' back pockets, but stay in the same room with the O2 canisters. Patrol around that room. Don't push out from it until the O2 dries up--then move as a group.

The last can't be emphasized enough. It's difficult on some maps like Earth at night, but stick together and don't go zipping off across the map. If you manage to get yourself killed, there's no way your teammates will be able to find you in time. If you're in the same room, then it's easy. If not, then if I can't look around and find you in a few seconds, well, they're your revives--and it'll probably mean a 15min extraction.  

@DrunkenHULK88 - 20 minutes, but... in T1s you can still get keys at the 20 minute mark instead of a part.

20 mins :-

- Guaranteed prime part or Forma for T2 and T3.

- Prime part, Forma or a key for T1.

Yup, why they have been left in T1 is beyond me.

Edited by Egg_Chen