Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

12 Tips For Those New To Stealth

SpadedTail

Question

- Playing solo is important. Doing a stealth mission with 4 people will be much harder than doing it with 2 or alone. Personally, if i'm not doing them solo, i do them with a friend while using Skype. Team coordination is crucial and that's almost impossible with random groups you'll find while playing online. Do not hesitate to play solo. ]

- Do not trust your ears - the sound system is not realistic. You must learn it's rules. Jumping, breaking crates, even doing an air-slam with your Jet Kittag is completely silent. Enemies are alerted by two things: gunshots and by other's reactions. Imagine a room with a grineer next to you, and another one on the very far side. If the closest one spots you, he'll just gasp and mumble something in their language - but the guy on the far side will instantly run to activate the alarms. How could he have such fast reaction? Unexplainable. But that's how the system works for now - if you get spotted by one guy, everyone around in the area gets alerted (I don't know how big the radius is - it's not super big, maybe 60m?). Gunshots will also alert them - silence your weapons with Hush and Suppressor. Remember: If a Moa shoots you, all Corpus around will hear the Moa firing and be alerted too since the Moa itself isn't silenced. 

All warframe powers are silent. Yes, including Soundquake and Valkyr's Warcry/Paralysis. This makes Nova an excellent stealth frame thanks to Antimatter Drop. With Volt, do not hesitate to shock an entire squad to death. That's perfectly silent. 

- Enemies are not startled by other's death/corpses. Two grineer standing right next to each other. You fire your bow and decapitate the one on the left. The one on the right will not be alerted. This is a bit wonky - i've seen some get alerted by seeing arrows i missed, sometimes not at all. Sometimes i hit them and do not kill them in one shot, and they don't care - but if a squadmate does the same, they get alerted. May be a host/client difference bug.

- Break line of sight. This is a cover-based stealth game, not lightning-based. Always crouch behind cover, use the H key to change camera perspective. Always search for objects that serve as cover for you in case someone suddenly walks in.

- Open doors by standing besides them, not in front. This is extremely important. If you open them straight ahead, there may be an enemy looking at it and you will be detected. Open it by approaching it from the side, taking cover - even if there's a Grineer there staring right at the door, he won't see you. This has helped me countless times. 

- Always check your six. In other words, always check what's behind you. Enemies may spawn in rooms you have gone through in the past and get you by surprise if you're far enough. If you're closing in for a melee kill, make sure there is no enemy line of sight to your future position. 

- Be patient. Sometimes you're without energy to use your powers and the next room is filled with enemies. Maybe you don't have a silenced weapon and have to go melee, and they all have their backs against the wall. It's all right. Tigers in nature wait too, for their prey to lower their guard. Be patient Tenno, like the predator you are. 

- Keep an eye on where's the nearest security panel. In case you get spotted, that's where your enemies will run towards - make sure you can reach it before they do. 

- Remember: Codex Scanner is your best friend. This is one of the most important tips. You're not into scanning? That's okay. The scanner allows you to see through walls, remember? When you're in cover, the scanner will let you keep track of your targets without exposing yourself. I never scan anything, but i always keep a scanner with me. 

- Do not panic. Got spotted? Follow these steps: Kill all witnesses, then deactivate the alarm. Make sure all hostile enemies are executed. This is where Ultimates may be useful - to wipe out an entire room in case everything goes sour. Then deactivate the alarms and check the next room with your scanner - if the enemies are running around/in cover, they're still alerted. No loose ends, Tenno - kill them.

- Your loadout should be: Silenced, accurate weapon | AoE weapon | Powerful melee weapon. Your accurate, silenced long-range weapon is to pick off targets too far to reach with your melee. Make sure you can kill them in one-shot, just in case. Bows are excellent weapons for this since they're silent and accurate by nature, but a silenced Vectis/Lanka does the job too. AoE weapon is your "just in case" weapon - if you get spotted and need to wipe out enemies fast, bring out the heavy guns. Supra/Gorgon with punch-through, Penta/Ogris, Castanas... Take your pick, just make sure it's a close/medium range weapon that wipes out squads fast. Melee stealth kill damage scales from Critical Damage, so if you're going for melee better bring a weapon with high crit damage. Throwing weapons such as the glaive are completely silent, allowing you to kill enemies with your ranged throw with ease. This is specially good against cameras if you're doing a melee-only run. 

A good list, except:

- Remember: Codex Scanner is your best friend. This is one of the most important tips. You're not into scanning? That's okay. The scanner allows you to see through walls, remember? When you're in cover, the scanner will let you keep track of your targets without exposing yourself. I never scan anything, but i always keep a scanner with me. 

This is currently no longer true: Codex scanner now only shows off items you need to scan. If you've scanned a lot of things, you now can't see them on the codex scanner. You can't use it to scan for any other reason as of now.

Hopefully this will change in a hotfix before the weekend rolls around. It was a really useful, and honestly necessary, tool.

...Even WITH a Loki Invis Build.

Enemies actually can be alerted if you kill an enemy right in front of their faces or if they walk right next to their corpse. Fortunately they notice so rarely it's not much of an issue except for those instances when enemies get "stuck" on each other, you'll have to speed headshot them in that case. Otherwise this pretty much covers the basics.

P.S. Codex Scanner no longer shows enemies with completed entries, so I strongly recommend Enemy Sense/Radar as a substitute. It really comes in handy.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

One thing I have noticed about the ai is there seems to be 3 stages of alertness completely at ease which is the state they will be in when you first start the mission, partially alerted in which they will behave normally except for the fact that you can not perform stealth attacks which they will enter if they see an ally die in front of them and full alert which happens as soon as they spot you.

Hopefully this will change in a hotfix before the weekend rolls around. It was a really useful, and honestly necessary, tool.

...Even WITH a Loki Invis Build.

I reached my 100 points in this most recent event by doing the Neptune Nightmare missions with a Valkyr (and no sentinel), and was able to get stealth rescues 80% of the time.

Also, I have never equipped a Codex Scanner, ever.

Its only the final room that matters.

Yes, only the room with the Wardens really matters, but I've seen groups screw this up and fail the mission.

It's considerably easier alone.

He's talking about how to do stealth missions without invisibility. It's pretty damn obvious how to do them with invisibility.

Kinda sad actually, It's so easy to do the mission with an invisible build and actually challenging when not having cloak, I feel these missions should have some kind of EMP field around that disrupts cloak.

P.S. Codex Scanner no longer shows enemies with completed entries, so I strongly recommend Enemy Sense/Radar as a substitute. It really comes in handy.

As someone who uses that on Ash, I gotta say: It's still not that great without the codex. You'll have a hard time telling what way they're facing, and sometimes some dude outside your range will somehow spot you through your amazing crouching/invisibility just dropped off state.

Nooooot great.

13.) Remove your Sentinel's shooting Precepts (Striker, Swift Deth, Targeting Receptor, Thumper, Revenge).

Sentinel will blow your stealth almost or more often than an extra human player. The exception to this is if you know for sure that your sential can one or two shot an enemy with a silence mod (Hush, Suppress) or with the Deconstructor (Hilos, melee) weapon. If you are not 100% sure, just play it safe and take away your Sentinel's right to shoot stuff.

Yes, that includes the Shade unless you've put Hush or Suppress on whatever weapon you've given it.

Edited by Brasten

Just so you all know, though the OP is well written it's really all unnecessary, before you get to the prison block nothing you do will start the timer so no need to be stealthy unless it's for your own personal quest. Only when you get into the prison block do you need to but if you kill the guards fast enough you still have almost a minute to break him out and the old tactic of running to the extraction point before the hostage dies to complete the mission is still viable. This is verified by myself I have done it twice now once on Mars then on Uranus with my Rhino Prime.